Rangers recruitment and wage bill

StepoverKing

Consider the following players we have on our books and on loan and just how little they have contributed this season relative to their reported transfer fees and estimated wages (we will likely be picking up a percentage of the wages of those out on loan and almost certainly will be when their loans expire):

Krancjar £20k/pw
Herrera £15k/pw +£1m transfer fee
Rossiter £10k/pw
Dorrans £20k/pw + £1m transfer fee
Pena £20k/pw + £2m transfer fee
Dalcio - on loan - £3k/pw
Nemane - on loan £3k/pw
O' Halloran - on loan £10k/pw
Halliday - on loan £10k/pw
Dodoo - on loan - £5k/pw
Forrester - on loan - £7.5k/pw

Now these are estimates only but how much better could circa £125k/week have been spent + the transfer fees? P.S Possibly harsh to include Dorrans in this list but he is an over 3o player who has been injured for months and looks likely to remain so. This was not out-with the realms of possibility when he signed.

Less than half of that could for example have been spent on the following young hungry domestic players (theoretically):

McGinn £15k/pw + £2m transfer fee
Cummings £10k/pw + £1m transfer
McLean £10k/pw + £500k transfer fee
Moult £10k/pw + £500k transfer fee
Walker £7.5k/pw + £500k transfer fee
Morgan £5k/pw + £250k transfer fee

All of whom would have been in an around our first 11 and contributing on a weekly basis IMO.

Throw selling Barrie McKay for £500k into the mix and the Barton fiasco along with associated wasted wages and pay off.

The wages we have sitting in the stand must be worth twice the entire sheep squad wage bill and yet I looked at their bench last week and thought it was stronger than ours.

The club simply must improve on this if they are to best utilise the significant advantage they have over every other team in Scotland bar 'them'. The fact we are going into games against Aberdeen and Hibs and looking at their starting line ups with concern by comparison to ours just should not be happening IMO.

Last edited:
Halliday getting paid twice is terrible business

Consider the following players we have on our books and on loan and just how little they have contributed this season relative to their reported signing on fees and estimated wages (we will likely be picking up a percentage of the wages of those out on loan and almost certainly will be when their loans expire):

Krancjar £20k/pw
Herrera £15k/pw +£1m signing on fee
Rossiter £10k/pw
Dorrans £20k/pw + £1m signing on fee
Pena £20k/pw + £2m signing on fee
Dalcio - on loan - £3k/pw
Nemane - on loan £3k/pw
O' Halloran - on loan £10k/pw
Halliday - on loan £10k/pw
Dodoo - on loan - £5k/pw
Forrester - on loan - £7.5k/pw
Halliday - on loan £7.5k/pw

Now these are estimates only but how much better could circa £130k/week have been spent + the transfer fees? P.S Possibly harsh to include Dorrans in this list but he is an over 3o player who has been injured for months and looks likely to remain so. This was not out-with the realms of possibility when he signed.

Less than half of that could for example have been spent on the following young hungry domestic players (theoretically):

McGinn £15k/pw + £2m signing on fee
Cummings £10k/pw + £1m signing on fee
McLean £10k/pw + £500k signing on fee
Moult £10k/pw + £500k signing on fee
Walker £7.5k/pw + £500k signing on fee
Morgan £5k/pw + £250k signing on fee

All of whom would have been in an around our first 11 and contributing on a weekly basis IMO.

Throw selling Barrie McKay for £500k into the mix and the Barton fiasco along with associated wasted wages and pay off.

The wages we have sitting in the stand must be worth twice the entire sheep squad wage bill and yet I looked at their bench last week and thought it was stronger than ours.

The club simply must improve on this if they are to best utilise the significant advantage they have over every other team in Scotland bar 'them'. The fact we are going into games against Aberdeen and Hibs and looking at their starting line ups with concern by comparison to ours just should not be happening IMO.

With all due respect mate, you’ve completely made those numbers up. There’s not a hope in hell Pena got a £2m signing on fee, and no chance Dorrans and Herrera got £1m each in addition to their salaries. I do agree however that we would have gotten much better value for money in respects with others players i.e. Moult instead of Herrera.

With all due respect mate, you’ve completely made those numbers up. There’s not a hope in hell Pena got a £2m signing on fee, and no chance Dorrans and Herrera got £1m each in addition to their salaries. I do agree however that we would have gotten much better value for money in respects with others players i.e. Moult instead of Herrera.
i think it means transfer fee, not signing on fee

Halliday will be lucky to be earning half of that I suspect.

This is a guy we gave a trial to for 3 weeks before even considering.

He’s not commanding £10k a week.

I get what the OP is saying and I agree, we really need to get more bang for our buck, all these guys sitting in the stand when every pound is a prisoner, is self defeating.

Very true, but if those figures are to be believed then the rest must be on minimum wage for it to balance out at £6.5k average!

10e71fd6edca008ff7ab182e9c428ea756412398815dbeec35f25092e913ed2c.jpg

Our tatal wage bill that us for players, management, office staff and executives is £17,852,000.

If we were to focus on purely the 1st team squad of approx 30 players then each player would be on £11,500 approx to make the total wage bill.

Remember thou that the £11.5k figure doesn't give room for any management wages or office staff wages or executive pay.

If you total the amounts listed in the OP which is only 11 players, the total those players takes home is nearly £6.5mil which is over 1/3rd of our total wage bill.

Granted the £17.6mil was last years wage bill and it will be interesting to see by how much this years wage bill has increased by but I still think that some of those figures are way too high.

I was looking to see whose contracts run out at the end of the season and how much of the wage bill would be freed up.

David Bates
Ryan Hardie
Jordan Thompson
Danny Wilson
Niko Kranjcar
Kenny Miller

Loans:
Aaron Nemane
Dalcio
Declan John (maybe keep)

Apart from Kranjcar and maybe Miller and Wilson, it's not going to free up much assuming they go. Hopefully we can punt the ones that are out on loan or the ones whose contracts are up next year.

Maybe I'm missing something but how the hell does anyone on here know the salaries of our players .? Obviously reading some report from a nugget like Leckie doesn't count or maybe something you heard in the boozer but unless you were there when the contract was signed you know as much as me

Maybe I'm missing something but how the hell does anyone on here know the salaries of our players .? Obviously reading some report from a nugget like Leckie doesn't count or maybe something you heard in the boozer but unless you were there when the contract was signed you know as much as me
By knowing someone very close to the player and being aware of the negotitations that wen't on.

Reactions: STU
No way can MOH be on 10 grand a week.He wouldn't have been on much at St Johnstone and we weren't exactly in a bidding war to sign him

You've not played football manager then eh. ;)

Reactions: STU
The latest figures show our average first team salary is £6.5k a week so I highly doubt those figures are accurate

I seem to recall reading that figure in the media recently as being our average wage for first team players - and the fact the Dhims were more than double that figure. The figure was from last season, of course, so we will have increased a bit since then. Maybe we are up to an average if about £8k now.

To put that into perspective, I’ve been listening to 5Live tonight and they are discussing Burnley. It was commented how low their average wage was - at £18k per week. Burnley!

Back