Rangers related facts you didn’t know

I have no recollection of Ray Wilkins playing for Hibs

Gave a beautiful interview that night after the game when he was first back, where he talked about how special it was to be back & how he's spent the day in a wonderful place called Largs. I actually saw him that day in Largs, he was stood himself at Barrfields looking at Thistles park.

That man was a credit to our football club and he loved being a Ranger.

When Ray Wilkins first signed, I was at a reserve game at Ibrox, where he sat in the directors box with Willie Thornton and Willie Waddell, I think it was against Raith Rovers who had Willie Johnston playing for them. No biggy just odd so many legends at a mid week reserve game.

The whole 1872/1873 debacle originated from an author called John Allan.

His book titled, The Story of the Rangers: Fifty Years Football 1873-1923

All because he took a year to publish.

We have signed at least one player from all bar one of the countries that constituted Yugoslavia.

Slovenia Vukic
Croatia Prso and Barasic
Bosnia Papac . Jelavic and Katic were actually born there
Serbia Petric , Djordic and Mladenović
Kosovo Eros Grezda
Macedonia . Bajram Fetai

or forgot but recently found out.

One of the interesting things I’ve noticed a bit recently is players who played in the same side. That, due to my memory, had no recollection of.

For instance davie Robertson playing in the same side as Albertz.

Also, totally can’t remember Albertz playing for Clyde

Any other interesting things that some folk may not know or have forgotten about?
Maybe you were to young to remember that or your memory is just pure shite. :D
Smith picked the side for the last two games of the 1985-86 season as Souness was still contracted to Sampdoria. Jock Wallace had already departed.
Did not know that, but did not forget it either.. :D

I genuinely thought there was no way that two players (one was Terry Hurlock, can't mind the other:D) played in the same team. Not a chance in hell, I thought. A poster from years ago (Stan Smith) reckoned I was at it.

We were at an FF meeting in the Calvay Club and I called in reinforcements on the way up the stairs to back me up. Turned out I was wrong as a very knowledgeable guy rhymed off the games that both played in.

Having said that, my mate asked me today what the score was last time we played Hamilton? Without googling, can anyone else remember?

I couldn't.
5-3 or have I missed a game?

While you’re probably right I don’t think Lee Wallace can be spoken of in the same way as Vallance, McPhail or McCoist (the player).

No, but he was our captain.

I stand corrected :) Now you say it, I actually knew it was Tel Aviv but had a brain fart when I wrote Egypt, and thinking about it Egypt doesn't make any sense anyway!

Pharaoh nuff mate, you admitted your mistake ;)

With those players picked for a reason.

Possibly because they represent the short distance from start to end?

Either I’m missing something, or you’re looking too deep bud.

I honestly think it’s just about the shortest distance, and LW bring it right up to our current squad.

Nice story either way.

We have signed at least one player from all bar one of the countries that constituted Yugoslavia.

Slovenia Vukic
Croatia Prso and Barasic
Bosnia Papac . Jelavic and Katic were actually born there
Serbia Petric , Djordic and Mladenović
Kosovo Eros Grezda
Macedonia . Bajram Fetai
Isn’t Grezda Albanian

Footie qiuz this old one. Dont know if acurate now. 6 teams in Scottish league with double "ee" in their name 6 teams that begin and end with same letter and 6 teams with the letter "f" in their name.

"ee"
Queens park
Queen of the South
Dundee
Dundee Utd
Aberdeen
Greenock Morton

"Begin and end in same letter"
East Fife
Dundee United
Kilmarnock
Alloa
Celtic
East Stirlingshire*(still in league?)

"f"
Queen of the South
Heart of Midlothian
Falkirk
Forfar
East Fife
Dunfermline

Sorry to sidetrack thread

Footie qiuz this old one. Dont know if acurate now. 6 teams in Scottish league with double "ee" in their name 6 teams that begin and end with same letter and 6 teams with the letter "f" in their name.

"ee"
Queens park
Queen of the South
Dundee
Dundee Utd
Aberdeen
Greenock Morton

East Fife
Dundee United
Kilmarnock
Alloa
Celtic
East Stirlingshire*(still in league?)

"f"
Queen of the South
Heart of Midlothian
Falkirk
Forfar
East Fife
Dunfermline

One of the teams have two body parts in their name lol

"ee"
Queens park
Queen of the South
Dundee
Dundee Utd
Aberdeen
Greenock Morton

East Fife
Dundee United
Kilmarnock
Alloa
Celtic
East Stirlingshire*(still in league?) No

"f"
Queen of the South
Heart of Midlothian
Falkirk
Forfar
East Fife
Dunfermline

The whole 1872/1873 debacle originated from an author called John Allan.

His book titled, The Story of the Rangers: Fifty Years Football 1873-1923

All because he took a year to publish.

I wonder if we'll ever fix the date on the side of the Main Stand :D

There was a similar thread to this on the old board, and I had some crackers. But forgotten them!

#Gettingoldloyal

Rangers won a European Trophy in their Centenary Year and did not know it, at the time.
It’s quite something that people just plodded along with 1873 as the accepted formation year for so long.

Winning the ECWC in our Centenery is a lovely bit of coincidence.

I was explaining to someone recently about the 73/72 confusion and that it was a delay in publication of a book that led to it. It all sounds utterly ridiculous when you are exaplining it to someone.

We played a European game and because our sponsor was alcohol it wasn't allowed. So we went with Center Parcs as the sponsor instead, as they also owned them.

I'm sure it was Scottish and Newcastle and at that time we were sponsored by McEwans

We played a European game and because our sponsor was alcohol it wasn't allowed. So we went with Center Parcs as the sponsor instead, as they also owned them.

I'm sure it was Scottish and Newcastle and at that time we were sponsored by McEwans

Did we not also play a game with Daily Record as a sponsor or am I going mad?

Also Coors when over in America.

It’s quite something that people just plodded along with 1873 as the accepted formation year for so long.

Winning the ECWC in our Centenery is a lovely bit of coincidence.

I was explaining to someone recently about the 73/72 confusion and that it was a delay in publication of a book that led to it. It all sounds utterly ridiculous when you are exaplining it to someone.

Since I was in Barca in 72 and at the Greatest Scottish Cup Final ever the following year, I witnessed a Cup win in our Centenary year, whatever LOL.

Last edited:

I'm sure Liverpool (sponsored by Carlsberg) got round the alcohol advertising ban by having "Probably..." on their jerseys for a game in France.

This is a footie quiz one too.

How many English Managers have won the English Premiership since it's inception in 1992 (26 years ago).

And name them all.

None, Howard Wilkinson for Leeds in the last old First Division was the last.
Well done mate !

Not one English Manager in 26 years has won the Premiership title.

Only 8 Managers have won the title in that time.

Just Alex Ferguson, Roberto Mancini, Arsene Wenger, Kenny Dalglish, Manuel Pellegrini, Claudio Ranieri, Carlo Ancelotti and Jose Mourinho have got their hands on the top flight crown

Here's another peach i heard, although not football related so apologise in advance.

How many hotels are situated on Blackpool Promenade ?

Well done mate !

Not one English Manager in 26 years has won the Premiership title.

Only 8 Managers have won the title in that time.

Just Alex Ferguson, Roberto Mancini, Arsene Wenger, Kenny Dalglish, Manuel Pellegrini, Claudio Ranieri, Carlo Ancelotti and Jose Mourinho have got their hands on the top flight crown

Guardiola as well mate.

Back