Rangers response to Mark Daly's Gordon Neely article

that response is fine as an opening gambit, but I hope the board don’t plan on that being our only response to that story.

In any other circumstance it would be a 'headshot' as they say. Given the magnitude of the allegation here, I'd say its2a little powder puff and should've been far more pointed and scathing

Daly and BBC Scotland better pray that their sources are watertight on this - if they aren't and he is found to be making false claims against us then it should signal the end of his career and the club will really go to town on BBC Scotland.

No way back for either if this is all fabrication ...

Rangers should highlight specific instances like how they edited Ally McCoists interview a few years back to make it seem he was laughing about sectarianism. Journalists are the scum of the earth. Tweeting about how the story was coming soon just shows he couldnt give a %^*& about the truth, and only cares about his story.

Rangers should highlight specific instances like how they edited Ally McCoists interview a few years back to make it seem he was laughing about sectarianism. Journalists are the scum of the earth. Tweeting about how the story was coming soon just shows he couldnt give a %^*& about the truth, and only cares about his story.

They highlighted all that in a video with Traynor a while ago.

‘BBC Scotland’s reporting on these horrific incidents and, in particular, its sensationalist and unfair accusation of a cover up by Rangers is disgraceful.

'Rangers based its prior description as to what occurred on trusted first-hand accounts from those with personal knowledge of what took place and the appropriate steps taken at that time. To suggest, as BBC Scotland’s Mark Daly has done, that these are invalidated by a short, filler piece in the Rangers News written almost 30 years ago by someone who clearly had no knowledge of the events, or the reasons for Neely’s sacking is nonsense. Indeed, it is shameful.

'BBC Scotland has a history of inaccurate reporting when commenting on Rangers and a string of apologies given to Rangers by BBC Scotland in recent times is clear evidence of this. However, on a matter of such gravity we do not think it is unreasonable to expect better than Mr Daly’s report.

'The important people here are the victims of abuse and we owe it to them to deal sensitively and supportively with the issues they raise.

'Rangers will do all it can to assist in offering support and counselling to anyone affected. Their wellbeing should be at the centre of every right thinking person’s concern.

'Ridiculous claims of a cover up against those seeking to deal with such matters in a sensitive manner suggests sensationalism and in this instance point to a desire to attack Rangers as being more important to those reporting these horrific incidents than looking after the victims of abuse.’

Well done Rangers, that is the exact response we needed to Daly's scurrilous piece to put the club's haters back in their place.

Daly and BBC Scotland better pray that their sources are watertight on this - if they aren't and he is found to be making false claims against us then it should signal the end of his career and the club will really go to town on BBC Scotland.

No way back for either if this is all fabrication ...
If I have read this correctly then there is a single source , the victim , and it appears to have no corroboration within that piece . Not even his parents . Note that the article uses ‘parents’ like there were more than one victim yet there is a single victim . The other victim is against Neely at another club albeit the claim is rangers covered it up and therefore are partly responsible . But Do they have clear evidence of a cover up ?

In the end this is dangerous because the victim has gone with no support on this attack . And this line was already discounted by rangers club sources in the past. Yet there is no right of reply in that report . And no further corroborated evidence as far as I can see .

I’d be surprised if this meets the bbc policy and standards .

The best way to shut all these anti rangers establishments is to start winning trophies and i cant wait for it to happen

That will do the opposite of shut them up, they’ll go into overdrive. Which is nothing to worry about, it’ll be fun to watch them embarrass themselves as King will no doubt have a crate of grenades ready. We’re already seeing glimpses of it what with us being top of the league.

From 2018 two examples of their pathetic apologies to Rangers:

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/response-from-bbc-complaints.21069/

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...apologise-for-lying-about-morelos-bids.18180/

Remember this one re domestic abuse and linking it to Rangers?

Last edited:
This was the last update from Club 1872:

http://club1872.co.uk/news/update-on-bbc-scotland-dispute/

Update on BBC Scotland Dispute
30 July, 2019
Club 1872 would like to bring members and supporters up to date with our correspondence with BBC Scotland regarding their coverage of Rangers Football Club. Supporters will be aware that BBC Scotland still refuses to cover Rangers in the same manner as other Scottish clubs due to a long running dispute over the biased reporting of Chris McLaughlin. That dispute continues and it is our opinion that a culture is now well established within BBC Scotland that Rangers are fair game for false and malicious reporting. BBC Scotland remains the only major media platform in Scotland not to report at all on Rangers’ new diversity and inclusion campaign, Everyone Anyone.

Before this season has even begun in earnest we have seen two examples of inaccurate reporting about Rangers which have had to be corrected by BBC Scotland. The BBC Scotland position is that these are honest mistakes – incompetent rather than malicious – despite the frequency with which they occur.

Club 1872 has submitted twelve separate complaints to BBC Scotland over the past few months. All of these have been escalated through three stages of their internal complaints process and a number have now been passed to OfCom where they currently sit. Complaints regarding the frequent, biased, false reporting of BBC Scotland employees on social media cannot unfortunately be referred to OfCom and have been whitewashed by BBC Scotland.

It has become clear during this process that BBC Scotland routinely denies the basis for any complaints regarding their coverage of Rangers and it appears that their complaints process is designed to be as difficult as possible for members of the public to navigate. Different reference numbers are regularly assigned to the same complaint to make it difficult to track and generic responses are routinely used for complaints which have no relation to each other.

One of the central issues with BBC Scotland reporting is their stated duty of impartiality which has gone missing where Rangers are concerned. It is here that we have seen the most disturbing comments from BBC Scotland in response to our complaints.

Below are direct quotes from their correspondence:

“There is no requirement for a BBC reporter or presenter to post about a particular event or development, or to treat similar stories in the same way.”

“There is no requirement in the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines which states a presenter…has to give equivalent coverage or treatment to similar or related stories.”

“The decision of what news stories and events to report is a matter of legitimate editorial discretion for editors and programme-makers. They are entitled to use their judgement to decide which stories to cover and the manner in which they are covered. There is no requirement which states a particular event or development has to be reported by a broadcaster, or that similar or related issues or events have to be given equivalent coverage or treatment.”

We believe it is important that supporters are given this information because it is now clear that BBC Scotland does not consider it has a duty to be impartial but that it can report in any way it sees fit. It is also clear that the tone and content of reporting is totally reliant upon a group of editors, presenters and journalists who can scarcely disguise their dislike of our club and support.

BBC headquarters are aware of the ongoing dispute with BBC Scotland but to date, their intervention has not improved matters. BBC Scotland are strongly resisting any attempts to address their biased coverage of our club.

Senior production staff at BBC Scotland, including their Head of Corporate Affairs, Ian Small, have been presented with evidence that BBC Scotland are regularly using a contributor who has used social media platforms to publish sectarian comments and hate speech towards Rangers supporters. BBC Scotland regularly presents this contributor as a neutral commentator on a number of news and current affairs programmes, despite senior staff being aware of the history mentioned above. This is just one indicator of the scale of the cultural issues within Pacific Quay.

We will continue to submit complaints regarding biased and dishonest coverage of our club and support, and we would encourage individual supporters to do the same despite the difficulties involved. At some point, BBC Scotland will have to address these systemic issues and start to address their refusal to provide licence payers in Scotland with the service to which they are entitled.

Sorry to hijack the thread but...

THE MAN THE BHEASTS CAN'T TAMe
the man the bheasts cant tame
4 years ago

BBC Scotland has a long history of Publicly funded venomous Rangers hatred spewed out from the bowels at Pacific Quay.

Here are just a few of their recent crimes against the Rangers family that I can think from the top of my head.

In the early 2000’s BBC Scotland workers tagged photos on their website of a Rangers midfielder at the time as “Kevin “lady's front bottom” Thomson” and a picture of Nell McAndrew modelling the new Rangers kit as “the hun”

In 2005 RANGERS chairman at the time David Murray slammed BBC Scotland Panorama documentary Scotland’s Secret Shame for portraying the Ibrox club as sectarian.

In 2006 RANGERS fans flooded the BBC with complaints after Kirsty McCabe a BBC weather girl referred to Ibrox as “Castle Greyskull”.

She told those planning to catch the Rangers v Livingston game they should “wrap up warm if they’re heading for Castle Greyskull”.
Castle Greyskull is a derogatory phrase, common on Celtic Internet forums that Celtic fans use to refer to Ibrox the home of Scotland’s most successful football team.

In fact in Celtic Football club had to disown an official history of their 2001 treble-winning season partly due to a reference to Castle Greyskull which they knew would be offensive to their Old Firm rivals.

A BBC spokeswoman in Glasgow said: “Several viewers phoned to complain about remarks …We are investigating the matter and will respond in due course.”

Rangers fan Dave Stewart at the time said “I thought I had misheard what she said but I replayed it and had to believe it. It’s a bit of a slur on Rangers to call Ibrox Castle Greyskull and not the type of thing you expect from the BBC.”

A BBC insider said: “Rangers fans were ringing in by the dozen to complain. Most were furious she had referred to Ibrox as Castle Greyskull and were demanding an apology from the bosses. But loads of people have been seeing the funny side as well.”

Oh yeah I bet they would be rolling in the aisles if the public funded BBC referred to Celtic Park in a manner that described the fact Celtic’s greatest ever manager Jock stein knew about an apparent paedophile ring operating out of and around Celtic football club. That he didn’t inform the Police thus letting the BEASTS rape God knows how many more children with impunity such as, oh I don’t know say “The Big Jock Knew Camp”?

A BBC spokesman was forced to issue an apology on Kirsty’s behalf and said “she was a Kilmarnock fan still sore at the loss of star striker Kris Boyd to Rangers” Aye right!

The irony is the brain dead bigoted fuckwits don’t realise that Castle greyskull was were where the good guys stayed!

In 2011 BBC Five Live presenter Nicky Campbell, who openly admits being the son of an IRA man. said that the attack Neil Lennon at Tynecastle, could have been a “Rangers supporters in disguise”.

When it was a clearly Hearts Fan wearing Hearts apparel who, I was going to say physically attacked Neil Lennon but cause of a balls up from the procurator fiscal trying to make it a sectarian motivated assault he was found not guilty. Despite Peter Croy of G4s Saying Wilson called Lennon ” A 19th Century Terrorist BASTARD”

Wilson’s defence Lawyer said that Wilson had called Lennon “A FUCKING WANKER!”

The jury of seven women and eight men obviously agreed with John Wilson’s statement and deleted the reference to making a sectarian remark from the charge relating to breach of the peace, and that the offence was aggravated by religious prejudice. They returned a not proven verdict for charge two, which alleged Wilson assaulted Mr Lennon aggravated by religious prejudice.

G4s is of course a company former Celtic Chairman Labours John Reid is a Director.

This resulted in Nicky Campbell having to make an apology of sorts live on air in a later show. Thanks to the BBC being once again inundated with complaints from Rangers fans.

In 2011 RANGERS gaffer Ally McCoist banned the BBC and accused them of editing footage to suggest he sees Old Firm violence as a joke.

The Gers boss says the two-second clip of him suggested he doesn’t treat the issue seriously.

He also claims the prerecorded footage of him smiling is from a previous question about football and not violence.

A source said: “McCoist was livid when he saw the item. He reckons he’s been stitched up by someone editing the programme and made to look like he thought the question was a joke. Rangers decided to withdraw co-operation with the BBC until they clarify that he wasn’t smirking while being asked about such a serious issue.”

The BBC News at Ten included a report on the increased number of arrests during Old Firm matches and the rising cost of policing them.

McCoist was shown fielding questions from a female news reporter about violence at last season’s Old Firm games. He replied: “I didn’t really see any violence at any Old Firm fixtures.”

A close-up image of him smiling was followed by him being asked if he was concerned about fans’ behaviour. McCoist replied: “The behaviour of fans? No.”

The shocking piece of propaganda that would make Josef Goebbels blush made the attention of the MP for Glasgow North West John Robertson. Who accused the BBC of stirring up trouble.

He said: “Obviously Rangers feel the manager has been hard done by and have decided to take this action.”I’m sure they’ll sit down and sort this problem out. But I will say that I think the BBC have created this problem. At a time when Rangers and Celtic are working to bring people closer together, the BBC have decided to inflame the situation.”

The BBC was forced to apologise to Rangers manager Ally McCoist after what they called “an editing blunder.” The BBC admitted that the editing of the piece was inappropriate.

A Beeb spokesman said: “Overall we stand by the merits of our report revealing the extent of violence after Old Firm derbies and the cost of policing these matches.

However, we do accept that the sequence involving comments from Rangers’ manager Alistair McCoist could have given the impression that he did not take the issue seriously.

“The BBC accepts that Rangers Football Club and Alistair McCoist treat the issue of violence and disorder surrounding football matches as a very serious matter.

“We accept that offence has been caused by an inappropriate edit in the piece as transmitted and for that we apologise.”

McCoist, said “I was appalled. The club will not tolerate this type of reporting. Having worked in TV for many years, with the BBC, I know exactly what was done last Friday and I was disgusted with their editing. I am pleased an apology has been issued today.”

In NOVEMBER 2011 thanks to the work of Rangers blogger Chris Graham made Celtic Fan SNP Humza Yousaf MSP publicly appologise after Mr Yousaf implied on the BBC Scotland show Call Kaye, that Rangers’ fans had been involved in bigoted or sectarian chanting at the Hibs game at Ibrox on October 1st of that year.

BBC Scotland refused to make an on Air apology.

It took place during a show on Radio Scotland on the 3rd October presented by Kaye Adams. Below is a transcript of a conversation between Dr. Stuart Waiton (SW) of Take a Liberty (Scotland) and Humza Yousaf (HY),

SW – “There was not a single offensive song because they are already terrified of being arrested.”

HY – “You clearly weren’t in the stadium then because you must have not heard what a particular number of people who were at the game heard”

SW – “I was at the game actually I was sitting with The Blue Order”

HY – “Well then clearly you had your earplugs in then because if you couldn’t hear what some of the offensive songs that were being sung.”

SW – “What were the songs?”

HY – Ignores question.

Humza Yousaf was a member of the Justice Committee that oversaw the implementation of the Offensive Behaviour at Football Bill and a self confessed Celtic die hard. He is now the Justice Secretary.

post 2

post 3

In what way is it a good response, when the article on the website still has the 'rangers covered up' headline?

When will we learn that a lengthy, angry statement from traynor is not the answer...? They achieve nothing.

It's unusual to actually have a name in a BBC article smearing our club.
The problem is that all their staff are usually protected and anonymous. They can say what they like without fear of any direct action. I do take your point though that this should not be the end of the matter re Daly - whether Traynor wrote it or not mate. Hopefully there is more to follow with it being reported to Ofcom.

But we shouldn't lose sight that BBC CFC Pacific Quay is a national scandal - the amount of tims there is horrifying. Opus dei has its tentacles in every board room and in most production/editorial sections. They even contract out to poetothy inclined companies.

Quite incredible how the sports staff room will have 9 out of 10 celtc sympathisers and Rangers haters yet they will ALL still moan incoherently.... that the big bad unionist masons are in control.

The biggest cheers ever heard in that building were when Zenit scored in 2008.

‘BBC Scotland’s reporting on these horrific incidents and, in particular, its sensationalist and unfair accusation of a cover up by Rangers is disgraceful.

'Rangers based its prior description as to what occurred on trusted first-hand accounts from those with personal knowledge of what took place and the appropriate steps taken at that time. To suggest, as BBC Scotland’s Mark Daly has done, that these are invalidated by a short, filler piece in the Rangers News written almost 30 years ago by someone who clearly had no knowledge of the events, or the reasons for Neely’s sacking is nonsense. Indeed, it is shameful.

'BBC Scotland has a history of inaccurate reporting when commenting on Rangers and a string of apologies given to Rangers by BBC Scotland in recent times is clear evidence of this. However, on a matter of such gravity we do not think it is unreasonable to expect better than Mr Daly’s report.

'The important people here are the victims of abuse and we owe it to them to deal sensitively and supportively with the issues they raise.

'Rangers will do all it can to assist in offering support and counselling to anyone affected. Their wellbeing should be at the centre of every right thinking person’s concern.

'Ridiculous claims of a cover up against those seeking to deal with such matters in a sensitive manner suggests sensationalism and in this instance point to a desire to attack Rangers as being more important to those reporting these horrific incidents than looking after the victims of abuse.’

Its been noted that bbc scotialand were quick to have it on their news report tuit suite.

How many years had gone by before reporting on the kiddyfiddlers. That must have killed them tae report it.

It's odd, but I detest this kind of attitude more than I detest the BBC. These posts sicken me to be honest.
When we start winning trophies, they will come for us even harder. It’s because we are getting stronger that this and other nonsense is seeing daylight.

I really wish our support was a wee bit more militant. Zero tolerance. The message should be loud and clear “F*ck with us and we will bite back.”

Its been noted that bbc scotialand were quick to have it on their news report tuit suite.

How many years had gone by before reporting on the kiddyfiddlers. That must have killed them tae report it.

Why do you always write Tae when To is much easier?

;)

The situation screams to me (I’m on holiday and only have the online highlights not seen BBC news)

1. Mark Daly desperately wants his original handywork, partly exposing Celtic to come to a head while theres still a chance it can. Why a more elaborate expose, piecing together a network, a jigsaw hasnt arrived, is maybe for another discussion.

2. Other people within Scottish society in key positions are desperate to minimise reputational damage to Celtic. That is to say, confirmed undeniable, forever etched in history that all the convictions happened in Celtics name, as long term enablers and facilitators. Is not a preferred outcome. Particularly with no other clubs ruined alongside.

3. He’s got gleeful permission from BBC to take the punt on bringing Rangers into it, somehow, anyhow, to help points 1 and 2. When it’s not even in the same sphere as the confirmed prolonged repeated (and linked ?) outrages that see people currently in jail. To qualify that, a man was referred to Rangers as a strong candidate by Hibernian (who should not have done so) his mask slipped in a horrific move on 1 child and he was removed, terminated, reported. Done.

It is a ridiculous leap by Daly, but given his employer and likely frustration at point 1, a News of the World level ridiculous move isnt that big a loss if it goes wrong.
That is a consummate summary of what it's really about, WE SHOULD SUE THEM.

Really chocking to see Mark Ds documentary on the paedo ring at his favourite club.

Mark, if your looking in, my school Clydebank high used to smash St coloumbus daily, probably played against you and maybe accidentally hit you with a 4 by 2.

Never thought you would be drawn in.. I suppose that's the difference from a good reporter to a shite one.
Take care anyway but your school in clydebank got schooled.. Maybe you should have went to a different one but you probably didn't have an option.
Take care anyway. Faithly

Being an old so and so sitting half canned , could one of you young lads make a templet for us auld guy's to use for not paying the TV licence so we could all use the same one to feck the the BBC .

Dunno if it's been raised but the part about us basing previous descriptions on accounts of persons present at that time is extremely weak.

We either reported it to the Police or we did not.

The omission leads me to believe that we didn't, which is shameful.

Sorry but the statement is far from strong enough for my liking. If we were absolutely sure we had done the right thing then we should have publicly eviscerated the BBC and called for a full public enquiry to clear our name.

J
Dunno if it's been raised but the part about us basing previous descriptions on accounts of persons present at that time is extremely weak.

The omission leads me to believe that we didn't, which is shameful.

Sorry but the statement is far from strong enough for my liking. If we were absolutely sure we had done the right thing then we should have publicly eviscerated the BBC and called for a full public enquiry to clear our name.
Jog on Timothy. Have you not got work in the morning?

Wish they had stuck in along the lines of.. "We are open to take part in a full independent public inquiry into the these accusations of cover ups of the historic abuse that has went on in our sport. In fact we would welcome the chance to participate to make clear we had and have no part in any of them, and think such an inquiry is long overdue".
They could also add.. "We also think that payment for their filthy deeds from those mentally challenged child molesting enabling fuds that we have the misfortune to share the same city air as, is long overdue also".

Feck you Daly you wee feckin weasil.

If we did indeed inform the police and they (which they have massive form for) have lost the record of it - how do you propose we go about proving otherwise?

If we did indeed inform the police and they (which they have massive form for) have lost the record of it - how do you propose we go about proving otherwise?

Aye this is the difficult part. I'd be pressing the Police to clarify whether they can categorically say no report was made or if there is a chance they have lost the report.

If they've lost it then the club should be giving them both barrels as well.

I also think clear statements from the persons present being released would help although if that's Walter and Souness I can appreciate they likely wouldn't want to be involved or associated with the story but needs must.

Basically go utterly nuclear.

Like I said I'm not trying to cause an argument I just don't see any denial in the statement which makes me lean towards us being slightly unsure of our position.

Do yous not sleep, trying to hard potato.

You're wrong with me. I do think we should be pushing for an inquiry.
If this latest piece from Daly is the best they can try and pin on us after all this time (and you know the multitudes that will be digging), then they have feck all.

Think you're on the money with that other one tho.

Does anyone know what we as fans can do about this ? who do we complain to ? Surely they can't have carte blanche to publish such slanderous nonsense based upon a 30 year old fan magazine.

Playing devils advocate, there is a chance that the club are aware of other allegations and therefore a call for any enquiry could be viewed as insensitive or not in the clubs best interests at this time. The statement is good but I’m slightly concerned it’s not as strong as I’d have wanted.
For example, non football mates tonight are discussing it in sane breath as Celtics affairs as if they’re one and the same.

Playing devils advocate, there is a chance that the club are aware of other allegations and therefore a call for any enquiry could be viewed as insensitive or not in the clubs best interests at this time. The statement is good but I’m slightly concerned it’s not as strong as I’d have wanted.
For example, non football mates tonight are discussing it in sane breath as Celtics affairs as if they’re one and the same.
A call for a public enquiry gets it all in the open and exposes the hypocrisy and laxity of the relevant authorities when it comes to Scotland’s real shame.

A call for a public enquiry gets it all in the open and exposes the hypocrisy and laxity of the relevant authorities when it comes to Scotland’s real shame.

there could beongoing proceedings affecting our club though and any call would be damaging is what I mean

Police Scotland lost the evidence of the hanging effigies from a few years ago and other recent cases. It's easy to assume therefore that they have lost historic evidence from Alastair Hood et al 30 years ago. Very easy to assume this bbecause recent history teaches us that they are incapable of handling and storing securely any items related to Rangers and it's supporters.

But what we've not asked Daly,same as when the bold Desmond was approached!!!.
Are you a victim sellic supporter???

there could beongoing proceedings affecting our club though and any call would be damaging is what I mean
It isn’t about the clubs here it is about the victims. A public enquiry is the only way to get this all out in the open and to determine exactly what went on and get justice for the victims. If our club is culpable in any wrong doing I expect compensation to be forthcoming and an apology made...alas I don’t think we are in any way guilty.

Daly and BBC kept on saying evidence of abuse and a cover up

Surely it should allegations against Rangers have been made by an alleged victim?

Said last night the club need to sue BBC Scotland

Also it’s time for Souness and Smith to back the club up in court and take the BBC to the cleaners and ban them for life

Careers should be ruined at the BBC

Also as pointed out before

This alleged story was headline news on the day a Brexit agreement has been agreed with the EU

It highlights the clear agenda BBC Scotland have with anti Rangers stories

Back