Rangers response to Mark Daly's Gordon Neely article

This will not be popular with some but I feel uncomfortable with some of this, especially parts like, sorry but contact Oldco, this just gives our enemies more ammo in my eyes.

I think we should contact the guy, explain some of this was out of our control (Hivs) but also apologies to him and agree a compensation fee (even if this means we have a reduced transfer budget at the next window, then so be it).

My understanding is that Neely eventually admitted the act, so there is no question of did this occur or not.

I would then turn defense into attack, at the very least issue a statement, better still get someone high up (maybe Stewart Robertson) to go in front of the camera with the statement.

The statement should go along the lines that we have apologised to the victim and agreed compensation with the victim. At the time we did everything possible, we sacked Neely and we contacted the Police with multiple witness to this.
We can not be held responsible for Police Scotland losing evidence or better still, let everyone know that reports are only kept for so long (get this confirmed).
Drag Hivs into the statement, saying if they had acted appropriately then Rangers would never have employed Neely and that Neely may not have worked again.

I think if this done correctly the fallout, would see a huge amount pressure put back onto Ceptic and Hivs to admit to there multiple failings and pay compensation.

If there is other victims, then we should do the same but only if it can be proven or beyond reasonable doubt.

IMO, this the correct thing to do and will also ramp up the pressure on Ceptic.

I'll go back to my initial sentence, where I don't feel comfortable with the take see the Oldco.

Do the right thing, this will help other victims get what they deserve (both an apology and compensation), remember Celtic will have to pay out much more than us and as for Hivs, it could crush them.

I disagree with this.

If the club did nothing wrong then why should it compensate this person?

Sure, if it had ignored warnings about Neely or if other youths had previously made allegations, then there would be a case. As far as we know, though, that isn't true.

I disagree with this.

Sure, if it had ignored warnings about Neely or if other youths had previously made allegations, then there would be a case. As far as we know, though, that isn't true.
The only time anybody accused the club of covering/knowing was when this guy changed his story.Weather Daly has put him up to it?

We really are a soft touch.
Numerous examples of bias and downright lies have been emanating from this organisation .
Our response, we have a big scarey dossier.
Unless our board are prepared to call them out , they won't stop.
I personally feel that Mr Daly has presented us with a perfect opportunity to lance this boil.
Clearly and concisely , but most importantly very loudly we should be demanding an open and very public enquiry into the monsters that have been allowed to prosper in Scottish Football.
Instead of waiting on the next attack , get on the front foot Rangers.

I disagree with this.

Not totally disagreeing. However, it still occurred on our watch.

Compensation may be the wrong route to go down but as Grigo alluded to it may be the best strategy for the countless other victims of other clubs, which will in turn hurt the other clubs more than us.

Have Man City not agreed to pay out scale to victims?

This will not be popular with some but I feel uncomfortable with some of this, especially parts like, sorry but contact Oldco, this just gives our enemies more ammo in my eyes.

I think we should contact the guy, explain some of this was out of our control (Hivs) but also apologies to him and agree a compensation fee (even if this means we have a reduced transfer budget at the next window, then so be it).

My understanding is that Neely eventually admitted the act, so there is no question of did this occur or not.

I would then turn defense into attack, at the very least issue a statement, better still get someone high up (maybe Stewart Robertson) to go in front of the camera with the statement.

The statement should go along the lines that we have apologised to the victim and agreed compensation with the victim. At the time we did everything possible, we sacked Neely and we contacted the Police with multiple witness to this.
We can not be held responsible for Police Scotland losing evidence or better still, let everyone know that reports are only kept for so long (get this confirmed).
Drag Hivs into the statement, saying if they had acted appropriately then Rangers would never have employed Neely and that Neely may not have worked again.

I think if this done correctly the fallout, would see a huge amount pressure put back onto Ceptic and Hivs to admit to there multiple failings and pay compensation.

If there is other victims, then we should do the same but only if it can be proven or beyond reasonable doubt.

I'll go back to my initial sentence, where I don't feel comfortable with the take see the Oldco.

Do the right thing, this will help other victims get what they deserve (both an apology and compensation), remember Celtic will have to pay out much more than us and as for Hivs, it could crush them.

your understanding is different to the previous media articles on this

EHG_XQ3XkAEa32T

EHG_XQ3XkAEa32T

I would not be surprised for a moment if Graeme Souness and Sir Walter had not consulted their lawyers.
They are the individuals who have been libeled as their honesty and integrity has been called into question.
They are two men I would not like to cross and I suspect they will have taken the necessary steps to ensure that their reputations are properly protected.
And both of them have deep enough pockets to take on those tossers at the BBC

Its not satisfactory that we have to rely on Club1872 reps spending their own time to take on an institution like the BBC.
[/QUOTE]

The institution you speak of is long gone I’m afraid.

What was once part of the fabric of this very country has been eroded for decades now and morphed into something entirely different.

I would have every confidence that given time, club 1872 are more than capable of discrediting the agenda driven mutants who currently staff Pacific Quay.

Not a strong enough reaction. in my view and we should have gone full on legal action. What will it take for SR to grow some balls.
Sick of weak responses that are laughed off and ignored by the mentally challenged press and they carry on regardless.
We are weak beyond belief and need a CEO with leadership qualities.

Not totally disagreeing. However, it still occurred on our watch.

Compensation may be the wrong route to go down but as Grigo alluded to it may be the best strategy for the countless other victims of other clubs, which will in turn hurt the other clubs more than us.

Have Man City not agreed to pay out scale to victims?

Yes, I do think you have a potentially good strategy Keilso.

We have three potential victims, while they have over a hundred.

As long as the evidence confirms the abuse was carried out under our ‘remit’ we can absolutely pressurise them big time by dealing with our ‘victims’.

This would put massive moral & financial pressure on that club.

Additionally our directors can state categorically that as a club we dealt with these situations absolutely in the right way, and infer that others should.

It’s never enough for some. People think because it isn’t a rant calling for sackings it’s not enough. Articulate and intelligent people take time and can get points across better to other intelligent people without ranting. It flies over other people’s heads who are just looking for an internet “headshot”.
Can some of us stop posting stupid straw men and behaving like conceited arses, please? There's a considerable gap between yesterday's statement and 'a rant calling for sackings' and several of us have made suggestions on here as to how it could have been narrowed and improved. Our reputation risk management is pathetic and the truth is we effectively ask to be shafted by our enemies because they know it's a free hit. We never learn.
This is the future of the club we're talking about and why you're trivialising it is beyond me.
Is that articulate and intelligent enough for you?

Last edited:

Totally disagree , when did Neely admit the '' Act '' .

Utter bollox .

Totally disagree , when did Neely admit the '' Act '' .

Utter bollox .
We don't know for certain but at the end of the day, he was sacked, never worked again, did not sue Rangers for an unfair sacking (no concrete evidence he said / I said). Abused boys at Hivs, not difficult to join the dots.

Can't always rely on the truth in the papers but this link claims Neely admitted his guilt.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/4848932/rangers-gordon-neely-victim-breaks-silence/

Never stated he did admit, just that this was my understanding, apologies if am wrong.

We don't know for certain but at the end of the day, he was sacked, never worked again, did not sue Rangers for an unfair sacking (no concrete evidence he said / I said). Abused boys at Hivs, not difficult to join the dots.

Can't always rely on the truth in the papers but this link claims Neely admitted his guilt.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/4848932/rangers-gordon-neely-victim-breaks-silence/

Never stated he did admit, just that this was my understanding, apologies if am wrong.

that's the lies from the changed story! The previous story stated thisguy was only spoken to inappropriately and not abused at all.

Why as far as we know Neely was sacked and the incident was reported to the police.if as claimed the incident was reported to the police then it is up to the police to take action .all we could do at the time was dismiss Neely which we did.

How do we / you know what is the correct story, genuine question.
He certainly could have been coached / influenced by others to change (lawyers), especially if his father has passed away. However, we don't know if the first reports were accurate.

He certainly could have been coached / influenced by others to change (lawyers), especially if his father has passed away. However, we don't know if the first reports were accurate.
You could also argue
How do we / you know what is the correct story, genuine question.
You could argue that we really don,t know if the second story is true either.as you said the boy in question could have easily been coached by his lawyers.

You could also argue
You could argue that we really don,t know if the second story is true either.as you said the boy in question could have easily been coached by his lawyers.

As bad as it sounds, it’s also possible that this lad has taken his story up a level because he smells some compensation money.

How do we/you know what is the correct story, genuine question?

I think he knows he can say what he likes and money is at the root of this. His father is dead as his Alistair hood and we are now meant to believe this happened as he NOW says and we as a club did nothing neither did his own serving police officer father!
He'snow putting a slur on the memory of his own father and him as both a father and then serving police officer all for cash I think

The first version of events is the truth id say and something inappropriate was said to him but he was not physically abused

Id say this is all about this person trying to get cash

Last edited:
This might upset some but the club should invite Daly to jointly work with us to fully investigate this allegation with the proviso that if there is a case to answer we will engage with the victim, if necessary apologise and discuss compensation.
If he/ BBC agree then we have access to all their information and sources. If they disagree then that tells it's own story.
That's not how journalists work. Especially agendas driven ones.

that's the lies from the changed story! The previous story stated thisguy was only spoken to inappropriately and not abused at all.
Maybe his Lawyers have advised him that an inappropriate comment wont work in court,
Maybe his Lawyers asked him if he was threatened in any other way ie pull his trousers down and skelp his arse,
Maybe his Lawyers said " You should tell that story to Mark Daly ",
Maybe his Lawyers said " Go with that story now " even after all these Years and it's the 1st time anybody has heard it,

Not a strong enough reaction. in my view and we should have gone full on legal action. What will it take for SR to grow some balls.
Sick of weak responses that are laughed off and ignored by the mentally challenged press and they carry on regardless.
We are weak beyond belief and need a CEO with leadership qualities.
Whst legal action should they have taken? You realise lawyers are already involved, hence no more coverage of the allegation. Just because we're not getting 5 min updates, doesn't mean there's not work going on in the background.

Maybe his Lawyers have advised him that an inappropriate comment wont work in court,
Maybe his Lawyers asked him if he was threatened in any other way ie pull his trousers down and skelp his arse,
Maybe his Lawyers said " You should tell that story to Mark Daly ",
Maybe his Lawyers said " Go with that story now " even after all these Years and it's the 1st time anybody has heard it,

Maybe he's a liar that's who 'd sully the memory of his own father as both a parent and then serving officer all for cash.

Id doubt very much if he was physically abused by neely, his own policeman father wouldn't have reported this to the police at the time and demanded justice be done.

He for me is a liar and chancer that changed his story for cash

Maybe he's a liar that's who 'd sully the memory of his own father as both a parent and then serving officer all for cash.

Id doubt very much if he was physically abused by neely, his own policeman father wouldn't have reported this to the police at the time and demanded justice be done.

He for me is a liar and chancer that changed his story for cash
Sh#t I missed that bit

A full, open, independent national enquiry NOW.

If we're guilty, take us to task along side ALL other guilty establishments.
Think it's a must. We need to be shining a light into abuse in sporting clubs and religious establishments.
Not trying to be funny, but nearly everyone in Scotland knows of the rumours of where this has been going on. There's Just no one with any influence wants to tell it like it is.

Can some of us stop posting stupid straw men and behaving like conceited arses, please? There's a considerable gap between yesterday's statement and 'a rant calling for sackings' and several of us have made suggestions on here as to how it could have been narrowed and improved. Our reputation risk management is pathetic and the truth is we effectively ask to be shafted by our enemies because they know it's a free hit. We never learn.
This is the future of the club we're talking about and why you're trivialising it is beyond me.
The point is it, doesn’t matter what is in a statement somebody will find a fault with it.

Last edited:

EHG_XQ3XkAEa32T
Nothing about him putting him over his knee so where did that come from? Did he say there’s 2 choices then never actually done it?
Why has the guy changed his story?

Superb post.

That isn't a piece of professional journalism, it is a smear, an attempt to tarnish the name and reputation of another. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mark Daly is trash and BBC Scotland really needs to change. A supposed professional using abuse victims to try and point score and smear an other that he doesn't like using a publicly funded broadcaster. What's wrong with this?

A good response from the Club: swift, succinct and to the point.

I would say if there was ever a chance to bring down the bbc it is now. They have pissed of large parts of the population all over the uk and if a momentum could really get going to withhold paying the license they could never cope with trying to chase it all down.
Either they start to become neutral which they obviously are not and as I've posted before,they have now became ch4 which I've no doubt happened when michael grade took over the running.
Both channels are now one and the same in my eyes.

Has the neely story not popped up on the papers over the years?but experienced,neutral,unbiased,mr Daly just happened to find a rangers news article,which was ready available for years to discover,and put rangers in the same light as the camp knews.lazy journalist with a puff peace which gives the foam at the mouthers so sort of we are the same.its disgusting and cruel,if the story is true,I am sure our club will not shy away from giving this man our full support,and the wider fan base.on the other hand,this story has been re gurgatated over the years and gets braking news?but the mutants uk wide,Boston globe esk gets buried under headlines or other big stories.

This is all as clear as mud.

The story about the boy abused at Edina Hibs and the boy abused at Rangers who both had their pants pulled down - Is that the same victim..?

Is it a different victim who was 'spoken to inappropriately' or is that the same victim who has changed his story..?

If all three victims are in fact the same person then who are the other victims who have allegedly been abused at Rangers and what are the circumstances of their abuse..?

For instance, the guy who was told to approach the Oldco, is that the victim referred to above or is he someone entirely different..?

Story I heard years ago was that Neely didn't sexually abuse anyone at Ibrox but was physically 'punishing' players and some Dads, one in particular, demanded he was sacked. Also it was known then (years ago this was) that Hibs had lied about his credentials and hadn't mentioned the abuse.

The hypocrisy of BBC Scotland accusing Rangers of a “cover up” given the 40 plus years of abuse that was covered up at Parkpaed is disgusting

6 paedos convicted in court. One convicted twice and sacked then rehired to abuse more victims yet Daly brands us as covering up the alleged incident

BBC also called it evidence. It’s allegations ffs

I really hope Souness and Smith make a statement on this

If Daly cannot verify this victims claims and prove he was a youth at Rangers then his career as a reporter should be over

I’d take this all the way

Last edited:
Back