Rangers Revenues v celtc.

HIHI

Looking at the Swiss Ramble post and a couple of areas stick out IMO.

Player Sales - last 9 years Gers 8Mill. Them 112 Mill.
Huge difference of 104 Mill. We really need to be a selling club to a greater extent in coming years.

Commercial Revenues - last year Gers 10Mill. Them 29 Mill. ( Everton were 76 mill and the likes of Leicester and Newcastle were also 29 Mill.)
We need to smarten up in this area and negotiate better. Who is in charge of this for us?

Overall we know we cannot compete with the EPL re tv revenues but surely we should not be playing second fiddle to our "friends" in the east end!

You’re not comparing apples with apples though so it’s pointless. We’ve faced the most extreme financial challenges over the last decade whilst they’ve had a free run at winning trophies and accessing Europe. We had a toxic brand until recently too. That is starting to lift and things will normalise. I don’t know why people bother with these comparisons at the moment.

Huge difference of 104 Mill. We really need to be a selling club to a greater extent in coming years.

Commercial Revenues - last year Gers 10Mill. Them 29 Mill. ( Everton were 76 mill and the likes of Leicester and Newcastle were also 29 Mill.)
We need to smarten up in this area and negotiate better. Who is in charge of this for us?

Overall we know we cannot compete with the EPL re tv revenues but surely we should not be playing second fiddle to our "friends" in the east end!
A million to each of their victims wipes that out.

Septic's transfer policy has been really successful because they spent a lot of money signing good youngsters in the 18-23 age range who they sell on for a big profit after a few years.

We have spent a lot of money signing older guys on big wages who we won't be able to sell for a profit because they are too old. Gerrard also spent a lot in wages and transfer fees on players who flopped like Grezda.

With strips and merch we are only starting to get our act together, we were stuck with SD for years and Castore is the first option we had to get out of it, we will be in a better position next time to do business as the fans will be willing to buy and makers will see that. Other general stuff I feel we are missing merch wise such as bedding, wallpaper, and general stuff like that, I believe we could make good money with decent merch on offer to the fans.

By memory Bisgrove predicted that our commercial revenue would be at around 25 million this season.

So at least that's a start to closing that gap.

Septic's transfer policy has been really successful because they spent a lot of money signing good youngsters in the 18-23 age range who they sell on for a big profit after a few years.

We have spent a lot of money signing older guys on big wages who we won't be able to sell for a profit because they are too old. Gerrard also spent a lot in wages and transfer fees on players who flopped like Grezda.
Yet another dig?
Celtic have signed more than their fair share of under achievers as well and our signings won us the league last season.

Tell you what, for all their loss was less than ours, they really should be out of sight with what happened to us.

It shouldn’t even have been close. The advantage they had over us off the pitch was monumental and we are still seeing the remnants of that.

CL next season for us coupled with player sales flips the whole dynamic in Glasgow on its head.

This league title is arguably the most important in the clubs history in terms of the numbers…

We will see a massive improvement in commercial revenue next year apparently, as for players sales we have to start selling players for profit and gain a bit of a reputation as a selling club, will help us ask for bigger fees if a few players go onto do well at other clubs

Tell you what, for all their loss was less than ours, they really should be out of sight with what happened to us.

It shouldn’t even have been close. The advantage they had over us off the pitch was monumental and we are still seeing the remnants of that.

CL next season for us coupled with player sales flips the whole dynamic in Glasgow on its head.

This league title is arguably the most important in the clubs history in terms of the numbers…

We are still recovering from the mayhem of 2012, which almost destroyed our club. We have already made huge strides. Just one CL qualification will help us enormously.

The difference in commercial revenue is down to the fact that they operate their own retail. Ours is operated by Castore.

So in the accounting:
A sale of a £60 jersey is recorded as £60 revenue on the celtic books.

Our books record the sale of rights and royalties only, and Castores books will record the £60 from the jersey.

The 2 clubs in the past decade aren’t comparable in the slightest. The main thing is that we’re rebuilding that side of the club.

112 million?

Can someone give me a list that adds up to that because I find it hard to believe? In fact it's shite.

I think they're confusing sales with the number of fans who went to Sevull. I think that was 112 million

Last edited:
Yahoos hit their peak under Rodgers having a turnover of £101 million but still could not do anything more in the champions league other than losing games 7-0, 7-1 and 5-0 respectively.

They can't use the excuse of money either cause Ajax reached the CL semi final with a wage bill about £15m smaller then them around that same period of time.

Also for all the talk of the money they've made by selling players on the flip side all they've done is weaken themselves on the European stage to the point where they are playing in the same tournament as Lincoln red imps.

The nonce won't generate any more than £101m again ever so the only way for them is down. Rangers on the other hand as a club is not even near it's peak yet and we are outperforming them on the European stage with far less money.

Rangers win the league this season and they'll start to regress big time.

Yep
The model should be
Get young talent in cheap, sell high to overpriced epl
Or
Buy talent from abroad cheap, sell high to overpriced epl

Sakala a good example

Ridiculous to make a comparison for player sales over the last 9 years mate.

I would expect Revenue to be a lot closer after this financial year closes.

The difference in commercial revenue is down to the fact that they operate their own retail. Ours is operated by Castore.

So in the accounting:
A sale of a £60 jersey is recorded as £60 revenue on the celtic books.

Our books record the sale of rights and royalties only, and Castores books will record the £60 from the jersey.
So you can take about 66% off their total For Adidas and the suppliers that brings it down to 9 million. Then they have all the shops and wages to pay for.

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned Celtics commercial revenue is so large because they run a lot more of their commercial in house, so they have all the revenue and all the expense added. Ours is just profit so its not a like for like comparison.

Yep, Andy (I think) on H&H after our accounts mentioned this, which I didnt realise until then.

Aw naw that's them won the revenue trophy too.
They can add that to the turnover trophy they won going out of the Europa League last week and the we played well at Ibrox for 20 minutes before being pumped bravery award. What are we gonna do?

104 million. Their thick fans should be asking where all that and the European cash has disappeared to.

Let’s see what happens to their revenue when the courtrooms are full of ex employees.

112 million?

Can someone give me a list that adds up to that because I find it hard to believe? In fact it's shite.

I think they're confusing sales with the number of fans who went to Sevull. I think that was 112 million
Off the top of my head.

Wanyama 12mil
Van Dijk 11.5
Tierney 25
Dembele 19.5
Armstrong 7
Forster 10
Frimpong 11
Eduard 14
Ajar 13.5.

That alone comes to 123.5, but even if figures are somewhat exaggerated it shows that having a reputation for being a high selling club, by Scottish standards pays off.
There are probably a few 2-3 million type transfers i missed.
We have to adopt a similar type model where we buy, develop and sell at the right time and price. We have to get this right

They have had to maintain sales in that region to maintain the silly money they were paying out to maintain a team that got pumped in every champions league campaign they entered!

Celtic also spent a shit load of money on duds like Barkas, Ajeti, Kouassi, Boerrigter etc.

Off the top of my head.

Wanyama 12mil
Van Dijk 11.5
Tierney 25
Dembele 19.5
Armstrong 7
Forster 10
Frimpong 11
Eduard 14
Ajar 13.5.

That alone comes to 123.5, but even if figures are somewhat exaggerated it shows that having a reputation for being a high selling club, by Scottish standards pays off.
We have to adopt a similar type model where we buy, develop and sell at the right time and price. We have to get this right
Only problem with this is celtic did not get anywhere near 19.5m for Dembele. His deal was set up that he and his agent got a huge amount of the transfer fee.

I wouldn't worry too much about theirs vs ours commercial deals atm.

We are in a 'trust building' stage after everything that happened in 2012 and are slowly but surely rebuilding relationships.

Off the top of my head.

Wanyama 12mil
Van Dijk 11.5
Tierney 25
Dembele 19.5
Armstrong 7
Forster 10
Frimpong 11
Eduard 14
Ajar 13.5.

how far back you going?? Dembele left in 2018 mate. Tierney in 2019. That was supposed to ber in one year - thats about 3 years you're covering there

EDIT - sorry I misread the original post!!!!! I didn't see it say 9 years. I thought it said last year.

What the phuck does it matter. We're the champions. Sell another 120 million if you like. Mullions an mullions.

Only problem with this is celtic did not get anywhere near 19.5m for Dembele. His deal was set up that he and his agent got a huge amount of the transfer fee.
No idea about how any deal is "set up" tbh.

Regardless of that there is no doubt that they receive above average fees for their players.

No idea about how any deal is "set up" tbh.

Regardless of that there is no doubt that they receive above average fees for their players.
Yeah they have, but several of there deals were set up the player and agent to get big money. We had the same with a certain French cb.

Off the top of my head.

Wanyama 12mil
Van Dijk 11.5
Tierney 25
Dembele 19.5
Armstrong 7
Forster 10
Frimpong 11
Eduard 14
Ajar 13.5.

Didn't they also get something like £6m add on when Van Djik went to Liverpool?

And due to our circumstances those players were given time to be successful

Sir if those would have still went for good money but some would have failed if under pressure of us battling then for the league

They've done well with the fee's generated absolutely but on the other end, buying replacements, have been pretty awful for them for the most part. Like selling Tierney and replacing with someone like that Taylor guy or Bolongoli. They sold Van Dijk and ended up with people like Boyata. Selling for big fees is one thing but if you are buying worse quality replacements then the benefits are mostly wiped out as you need to keep buying more and more players and hoping you get lucky with one

It's a trap I hope Rangers don't fall into

Impossible to compare meaningfully over last 10 years. Need to do it over no more than the last two and will actually be better comparing over the last two plus the next two. We have hardly had players to sell and were stuck with a kit deal that cost us money as opposed to making it.

Our valuations and the inferred trading model are pie in the sky at this stage.

We need to see it materialise.

It’s all measured gambles, but talking about revenue and banking revenue are different ball games.

Kent, Aribo, Hagi, Kamara, will all make us decent money once they leave none are old players either.

The player sales is understandable but them being nearly three times the commercial revenue maybe not so much?
Part of the differential is that Rangers commercial income is based on sales under licence.

An agreed annual fee plus commission on volume of sales.

The Tims sell their own manky pish stained stuff so theirs is gross revenue.(no costs)

A more apt comparison would be "profit" on commercial income.

Their deal with Adidas was touted at £12m a year. I'd bet they'd only get that figure if they won the Treble, TIAR, the Champions League and the Eurovision song contest.

Much like the £40m cash reserves they talked about to illustrate how well run they were. Last year it was down to £15m.

This year is a pivotal year for both. C'mon the Rangers sink the cunts.

Back