Rangers Social Media channels missing the boat

Pete Love

Regardless of whether you have any interest in WWE or not isn't really relevant. This isn't the lounge and I'm not creating this thread to debate the fact that its fake, grown men who watch it are for the watching, etc.

For those of you who don't yet know/care, Drew McIntyre became the first ever British WWE Champion and did it by "beating" Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania - in Pro Wrestling terms, it can't get much bigger than that.

Now, Drew has firmly nailed is colours to the mast on several occasions. He is a massive Rangers man - he's shared a lot of content to his followers and the wider "WWE Universe" wearing the kit and slagging the likes of Scott Brown and Sutton. This is excellent publicity that, as usual, is simply not utilised by our club.

Go on to our various platforms this morning - facebook, Instagram and Twitter - you'll see a mention of the 2002 cup final yesterday, a happy birthday for Richard Gough... and not a jot about a Rangers man becoming the first ever British WWE Champion :rolleyes:

Inevitably I'll get the "who cares" responses but, we absolutely should care. Our club should always be on top of these things, especially if we want to compete with other elite clubs around Europe. Compare our SM following against that lot from the East and we are beaten every time. If Galloway was a dhim - you know they'd absolutely be all over this and utilising him to tap further in to the American market - especially now during quarantine with social media traffic increasing.

Put this in to context:

Facebook
WWE followers: 43m
Rangers followers: 688k

Instagram
WWE Followers: 20m
Rangers followers: 384k

Twitter
WWE Followers: 11m
Rangers followers: 540k

The forum wouldn't let me post the image I wanted so here it is below. That's a Rangers man holding their title which is accessible to 40 million people this morning. Its ridiculous that the club is not even putting out a "congratulations" this morning with a picture of him in our colours and tagging him. Why are we so slow with these things?

I'd imagine the club are kinda busy with various things at the moment.
They have in the past congratulated anyone who has won something and has Rangers connections and they probably will get to it.

They have in the past congratulated anyone who has won something and has Rangers connections and they probably will get to it.

Too busy to post a picture of him wearing our kit and tagging him in a post congratulating him with exposure to 60m people but can post a video of Jelavic scoring at Tynecastle and a picture of Walter Smith and Jock Wallace in the past 2 hours.

They did message and congratulate him when he posted about becoming the champ.

I agree though, they should put a post up on their own page and tag him. If 0.1% of his followers clicked the page for a look, it would be a huge increase in traffic.

For me this just reinforces my argument. So the social media team are aware, but instead of actually creating anything, they just reply to his status. No context - just looks like a random sports team giving him a clap. Shite.
Hopefully there is something being worked on behind the scenes. The output from the media team has been excellent recently so it would be unfair to criticise too much in the current climate.

I'd like to think the social media team will get to it.

A quick tweet congratulating him and tag him, WWE, HHH. Easy.

Credit where its due however I think the club have congratulated him, I'm struggling to figure out how this affects competing against the elite clubs around Europe though, I'd rather compete 11 v 11 on the park rather than compete against their social media figures.

I do kinda agree. But I also Don’t think that it would change too much, some fans in the U.S.A might click for a second then click away I don’t see them buying kit (not that they can get it from a company that isn’t being boycotted anyway).

What are we expecting, the WWE to retweet Rangers the day after their biggest event of the year and then get loads of American wrestling fans to instantly fall in love with us?

Maybe they forgot to plan it in with everything else going on in the world? Maybe the SCF flashback on BBC last night was their story and they didn't want to detract from that? Maybe the media team have noticed he underperforms massively on their social channels, harming overall sentiment with their current fans in a time where we're likely to launch STs etc? Maybe there is no content available because Rangers use their own photographers like Willie Vass and they don't think buying an image is worth the hundreds of pounds from Getty? Maybe they want to make a bigger thing of it with Drew personally? Maybe they've already done some of the things discussed in this thread and wheels are in motion? Maybe they've been told not to discuss it for some other reason?

There are a multitude of reasons why things don't happen on social. Sometimes it's better to stay quiet than trendjack day-after-day.

Too busy to post a picture of him wearing our kit and tagging him in a post congratulating him with exposure to 60m people but can post a video of Jelavic scoring at Tynecastle and a picture of Walter Smith and Jock Wallace in the past 2 hours.
I see the club have congratulated him with his Rangers top on. Patience is a virtue

Rangers have posted a "goal of the day" at 10am every day for the last couple of weeks, and a "pic of the day" for the last few days.

Maybe you should apply for a job in the social media team if you have all the answers.

Ibrox is clearly too big for regular TV shows otherwise it would be a great event opportunity. WrestleMania of course would be considered for Wembley first and foremost.

Any fucking excuse to have a dig with some on here
It’s constructive criticism in how we should be improving our reach and I completely agree. I hope we can have more cross-media content with him and possibly the WWE. They’re trying to establish themselves in the British market with NXT UK so it could be a win-win situation.

I'm comparing business versus business. You should know how social media works mate - you tag the guy and WWE ie 'congratulations to new @WWE champion @DrewGalloway' it's not difficult.
And then what mate? You think that will somehow get us new supporters or investment or something?

Please stop excusing incompetence, especially trying to be snarky about it. "The Club" has hundreds of employees assigned to various roles and not a lot is happening in the main business. "The Club" are not 'kinda busy with various things'.
I know nothing about WWE but those numbers should make even apologists ask questions.

Not into wrestling at all but agree it's a market we can and should capitalise on if one of their biggest stars is one of our own and he likes to show it.

This isn't for us, the average Rangers fan, this is about getting the name and image of the club out there to kids in USA, Canada, South America, India etc where WWE is huge. It's free advertising on an extreme scale, after all. We'd be crazy not to take advantage of it.

mentally challengeds all over the comments on that tweet tragic bastards

Please stop excusing incompetence, especially trying to be snarky about it. "The Club" has hundreds of employees assigned to various roles and not a lot is happening in the main business. "The Club" are not 'kinda busy with various things'.
I know nothing about WWE but those numbers should make even apologists ask questions.
Wasnt intended as snarky at all.

The difference in social media followers is stark but he's a fake "winner". It's not quite the same as Hibs fawning over Andy Murray, for example.

I may be showing my ignorance here, but "first ever British winner".
Whilst factually accurate aren't these things pre determined and therefore not truly an accolade is it?

I may be showing my ignorance here, but "first ever British winner".
Whilst factually accurate aren't these things pre determined and therefore not truly an accolade is it?

You're right, you are.

Think of the WWE title as an Oscar, it's about who bring in money at the box office.

WWE is HUGE and them putting the Title on Drew McIntyre means they have faith he will bring in the viewers. It is an accolade and reward for the mans hard work.

Back