Rangers SPL managers records since season 16/17

Rangerslion

Curiosity got the better of me. If I've got any of the data wrong let me know and I'll update it.

This is the records of Warburton, Pedro, Murty and Gerrard in Scottish Premiership games since our return. I was curious how they stacked up against each other.

2rw85c2.png

So, in summary.

Score more goals
Concede fewer goals
Win more games (%)
Lose fewer games (%)
Accmulate more points per game.

The one we ALL know must be improved is the number of draws.

Convert many of those draws into wins, get our average points per game up to 2.25 to 2.3 per game, and we are real title contenders, if not champions

We must know each other.

I also went to Can See The Bleeding Obvious Secondary :D
There's plenty can't though. All season folk have been claiming were no further forward, the squad needs ripped up and replaced yet again. 3 fckin weeks ago we had guys saying the football was as bad as anything under Murty and Warburton and we'd be better off with McInnes.

Add in a 14 game European campaign as well.

There's plenty can't though. All season folk have been claiming were no further forward, the squad needs ripped up and replaced yet again. 3 fckin weeks ago we had guys saying the football was as bad as anything under Murty and Warburton and we'd be better off with McInnes.

Add in a 14 game European campaign as well.

Yes, but a large section of people in general are morons.

The partizan press could also see the improvement which is why things like "they've not won three games in a row" and "they haven't won away" were laboured loudly and beyond reasonable sense despite them all being relative to how the fixtures fall and general circumstance.

It's clear we're improving and will continue to do so and I expect it to be ignored for the most part by those who don't want to see it

Its the consistency that is letting us down. We need to turn most , if not all of the draws into wins next year.

Clear and obvious improvement however ultimately we need to get to the 2.25 points per game mark to win the league.
Had a wee look at the league over the last 10 years. We would need about 2.37 points per game, based on previous winner totals. And that’s taking into account the seasons where we were in the lower league so may even be slightly higher in reality.

Only 30 goals in 22 games under Warburton? Worse than I thought
And to the think of the meltdowns posters on here had about criticism! It reminds me if the posters who frothed at the mouth at anything negative said about Pedro and his Mexicans. Don’t hear them pipe up about that so much now!

The thing that surprised me was how un-bad Warburton was in terms of goals against with Kieran and Wilson et al in defence and basically no defensive thought in the game plan.

Of course the other side is how few goals we scored in spite of dominating possession in those games. Weird

You've missed the final two games for Warburton. We had played 24 when he left

A 4-1 loss to Hearts and a 1-1 draw with Ross County at home brings his record to

Played 24
Won 12
Drew 7
Lost 5
For 32
Against 26
Points 43
Points Per Game 1.79
Winning % 50

Had a wee look at the league over the last 10 years. We would need about 2.37 points per game, based on previous winner totals. And that’s taking into account the seasons where we were in the lower league so may even be slightly higher in reality.
OK fair enough I'd have thought that 85-86 points would usually be enough.

Wouldn't the seasons where we were out the league drive the winners totals up rather than down as there would have been less competition for Celtic?

The thing that surprised me was how un-bad Warburton was in terms of goals against with Kieran and Wilson et al in defence and basically no defensive thought in the game plan.

Of course the other side is how few goals we scored in spite of dominating possession in those games. Weird
The dominating of possession, in a very boring way, actually meant we conceded less as the opposition didn't have the ball enough to attack us frequently. Problem was the narrow focus on possession meant we'd rather keep the ball than attempt any risky attacking balls so scored very few. Plus our big striker signing was Joe Garner ffs.

Warburton ultimately did fairly similar to Pedro with less money but Gerrard is a clear and obvious improvement on both.

The longer tims and media monkeys underrate the job he's done here the better.

Some of the criticism Warbs gets is way over board. With no where near the same level of financial support that SG or Pedro have received he actually performed admirably.

Some of the criticism Warbs gets is way over board. With no where near the same level of financial support that SG or Pedro have received he actually performed admirably.
I was thinking the same but if you see SDF's post above you can see that his PPG was actually 1.79 not 1.91. Hopefully all the other numbers in the OP are correct.

OK fair enough I'd have thought that 85-86 points would usually be enough.

Wouldn't the seasons where we were out the league drive the winners totals up rather than down as there would have been less competition for Celtic?
Suprisingly not every season.

2012/13 79 points
2013/14 99 points
2014/15 92 points
2015/16 86 points.

The biggest benefit for us going into next season will be having the same manager and a settled squad. No more full clearouts to suit a new manager, continuity is so important when building a winning team.

We just need to stop drawing so many games, but we are definitely heading in the right direction and are no longer being battered or conceding a ridiculous amount of goals. Gerrard has also improved us massively against the tims in Old Firm games- under Pedro and Murty we were terrified of them.

Onwards and upwards - he’s the right man for the job and we will keep improving.

The only manager out of those four where I don't have the fear of a tanking playing them either home or away is SG. We are certainly capable of winning games against the mockits now.

That for me is the significant improvement we needed - the rest will now fall into place.

Gerrard and the team haven't even had a year to work with this team and lots of them have improved a lot already. Team is still being settled with ideas being embedded.

We're ready to go and win this title.

Here we go, complete manager's record (excluding lower league results and a few more foibles to make it even):

t4Wb8EB.png
Points per game is all that matter at the end of the day. Murty edges out Gerrard on those stats, with a far poorer side too.

Points per game is all that matter at the end of the day. Murty edges out Gerrard on those stats, with a far poorer side too.

There’s also the fact that my spreadsheet is cup games, where you don’t get points, as well.

I quoted a_weir, I was using his stats

Gerrard's stats there include our European run so not really fair to compare win/loss ratios directly with the likes of Warburton and Murty who only had domestic games.

Domestically Gerrard has a better points per game ratio than any of them.

There’s also the fact that my spreadsheet is cup games, where you don’t get points, as well.
True. I’d still consider a points per game total very significant even including cup games. It becomes more complicated when europa league games are taken into account which I overlooked.

True. I’d still consider a points per game total very significant even including cup games. It becomes more complicated when europa league games are taken into account which I overlooked.

Good point.

My main reason for excluding it was the change to 3 points for a win.

What I find most interesting is our loss % under Gerrard. Second lowest.

OP has Murty played 31 league only games, 56 goals for.
A Weir has Murty played 29 games in all competitions, 61 for.

Something does not add up, perhaps you guys could check?

Back