Rangers Squad now and near future

Scott McRoberts

Quiet morning ths morning, so I wthought I would upload this to see where we are at with our squad. As it stands it looks like we have 31 squad members (32 including Ofoborh).

Although I don't have the positions exact you get the idea. For me personally, 2022/23 season could be the end of the following players, McGregor,Helander,Sands,Davis,Arfield.

If we re-sign/keep all other players where do you think we need to strengthen further?

Can Beale get a song out of Matondo? Does Lawrence and Souttar come back as strong, will Roofe ever be fit?

A fully fit squad even losing the afore mentioned players is a very strong squad.
Myself personally I am happy with the squad and with the exception of another goalkeeper unless Beale fancies McCrorie.
Squad.jpg

I’d say we need two keepers (though I could see us keep Mcrorie and JM for the Scottish contingent). Arfield similarly will get a new deal for Europe.

Need a new CB to replace Helander who will go, a new RW, preferably a RB to challenge Tav and a new striker to replace Roofe.

4 new players required and 3 of them to be first choices.

To be fair your shout for RB is a decent one, I like Devine and definitely think he has huge potential, but maybe another season or so yet.

Redo it as a 4231 formation and not a 441 ten player formation mate. Right players, wrong positions entirely.

A glaring weakness in the squad is the lack of a left footed player to play on the right. Sakala, Wright and Matondo are all right footed so are better suited to be in the box on the left side with Kent and Lawrence. Sure they can be shoehorned onto the right side but they are better on the left.

That was obviously why Beale was so keen to bring Whittaker in as he is a left footed and can play on the right. Hagi can also play there because he is strong with both feet but there are question marks if he has enough pace for the position, a player should have a lot of pace for wide positions so he might be better suite to a more central one.

Redo it as a 4231 formation and not a 441 ten player formation mate. Right players, wrong positions entirely.
I didn't spend time breaking it down into exact positions, it is merely defenders, midfielders and strikers. Several players can play several roles

I didn't spend time breaking it down into exact positions, it is merely defenders, midfielders and strikers. Several players can play several roles
That's fair enough mate. Personally, with the way Beale sets up, I see it as we play with 2 traditional 10's and a traditional pacy winger playing in a free role across the field. Lawrence, Tillman, Cantwell, Arfield, Hagi and Lowry fighting over 2 and Kent, Matondo, Sakala, Wright, fighting over the other. I appreciate Sakala and Kent have played together numerous times recently but I don't think that's the model moving forward. I think it's been out of necessity due to injuries.

Souter should be in the same box as Goldson and King as he is not a left sided player. Helander should be in with Davies where it shows we are weak for cover there.

Souter should be in the same box as Goldson and King as he is not a left sided player. Helander should be in with Davies where it shows we are weak for cover there.
I didn't break down into exact positions merely dfn mdf attackers, the boxes were purely to save spane on the spreadsheet so I could upload a pic :)

7 Players need chopped before you even sign someone, Sands & Davis are the easiest to discard, so that's you down to 5.

Then you have the homegrown headache. Hagi, Tillman, Cantwell, Lawrence, Lowry & Arfield all want to play in the 10. Hard decisions will have to be made in that position.

Didn't like the layout so made my own.

GK​
McGregor
McLaughlin
McCrorie
Wright
RB​
Tav
Devine
RCB​
Goldson
Souttar
King
LCB​
Davies
Helander​
LB​
Yilmaz
Barisic​
CDM​
Lundstram
Jack
Kamara
Raskin
Sands
Davis​
CAM​
Tillman
Lawrence
Cantwell
Lowry
Hagi
Arfield
RW​
Sakala
Wright
LW​
Kent
Matondo​
ST​
Morelos
Colak
Roofe​

Key:
Rangers Academy - 4 Required - Bold
Scottish Academy - 4 Required - Italics/Underline

We need:

GK - new no.1
RB - to challenge Tav
CD - preferably Left sided
CM - another to bolster this area
RF - right forward capable of 10-15 goals
ST - The marquee signing of the summer

My suggestions (just for fun):

GK - Nikita Haikin - OOC
RB - Noah Sadiki - Anderlecht - £2M
CD - Joseph Okumu - Gent - £6M (trnsmkt)
CM - Branco van den Boomen OOC
RF - Morgan Whittaker - Swansea £2.5M
ST - Nikola Krstovic - Dun Streda - £4M

No idea about the valuations on that list or the availability/desire to come but all positions that need strengthened IMO.

Would offset all of this by selling Kamara should we receive an acceptable offer and possibly go for Campbell at Hibs as a player to develop.

Others who would be free to leave or OOC at our end:

McGregor
Davis
Arfield
Helander
Sands (end of loan)
Matondo
Morelos / Roofe / Colak

I’d be open to keeping Morelos but we need new no.9 and not sure that we can do both as well as carrying Roofe or Colak so one has to go and most likely Fredo, with a heavy heart.

Back