Rangers squad number history

Just shows how poor we have been in recent years of getting a decent No.7! Usually the most talented of all players play that position yet we’ve been woefully lacking since Davis left first time.

Anyone else grow up in an era where you could tell a players position, and indeed sometimes referred to his position, by his number?

1 GK
2 RB
3 LB
4 CH
5 CH
6 CM
7 RW/RF
8 CM
9 ST
10 ST/FWD
11 LW/LM

Should be the law.
Agree re the numbering but I always knew the positions as
1 Goalkeeper
2 Right Back
3 Left Back
4 Right Half
5 Centre Half
6 Left Half
7 Outside Right
8 Inside Right
9 Centre Forward
10 Inside Left
11 Outside Left

Can’t go this 1-11crap.
I grew up with it too but it is only a number, so who cares if 70 or any other number is worn? FFS

Can’t go this 1-11crap.
I grew up with it too but it is only a number, so who cares if 70 or any other number is worn? FFS

I do.

I cannot associate any player with a number 70 on his shirt (that's a bus #).
I can identify several players/heroes with the 1-11 "crap" as you would call it.

I think The Meik's Crombie above has it as I see it,
and gers1978 has it how I would see it a bit later on, though I would argue 4 would be Central midfield, and 6 would be Central defence (preferably left), and 8 and 10 would be my right and left Midfielders

My first season was 92/93 so number 2 Was Stuart Mccall so our numbers started by making no sense and never changed. Just glad the 5 - left back eta has gone

At the 1974 World Cup, Holland numbered their players alphabetically (apart from Cruyff who was allowed to keep his favourite No.14), so No.1 was an outfield player and No.8 was the keeper (Jan Jongbloed).

Anyone else grow up in an era where you could tell a players position, and indeed sometimes referred to his position, by his number?

1 GK
2 RB
3 LB
4 CH
5 CH
6 CM
7 RW/RF
8 CM
9 ST
10 ST/FWD
11 LW/LM

Should be the law.
When I played
4 was RM, 10 CM and 6 LM
CB were 5 and 8
7, 9 and 11 front three

At the 1974 World Cup, Holland numbered their players alphabetically (apart from Cruyff who was allowed to keep his favourite No.14), so No.1 was an outfield player and No.8 was the keeper (Jan Jongbloed).

That’s almost as bad as Scotland in the 92 euros numbering players in order of how many caps they had

DyM497SXQAAiev_.jpg

When Souness arrived and signed Terry Butcher, I expected him to be number 5. I thought it odd at the time that he was number 6.

I do.

I cannot associate any player with a number 70 on his shirt (that's a bus #).
I can identify several players/heroes with the 1-11 "crap" as you would call it.

I think The Meik's Crombie above has it as I see it,
and gers1978 has it how I would see it a bit later on, though I would argue 4 would be Central midfield, and 6 would be Central defence (preferably left), and 8 and 10 would be my right and left Midfielders
Dariusz adamczuk never wore 7 and Colin hendry wore 35 in 98/99 and not listed.

You'll probably find he wore number seven in a friendly, European game or a cup tie as a one off. I seem to remember we went back to 1-11 for cup games then. Happy to be corrected though.

I distinctly remember our starting 11 was numbered 1 through to 11 against Dundee up at Dens Park, must have been 2000. First (and probably only time!) I've seen it since squad numbers were introduced.

No doubt it was a cup game and I've made a cvnt of it!!

I distinctly remember our starting 11 was numbered 1 through to 11 against Dundee up at Dens Park, must have been 2000. First (and probably only time!) I've seen it since squad numbers were introduced.

No doubt it was a cup game and I've made a cvnt of it!!

We used to do it in every cup match around that time mate. That is why you'll see players like Adamczuk wearing number seven on the list

It's not been used too often but I still don't think we should use 66 as a squad number. I wouldn't think Liverpool would use 96 so I think 66 shouldn't be used by us.

I remember a game in 1999/00 when we used squad numbers, but lined up 1-11. Very rare, the only other instance of it I can think of was Holland in the 2010 World Cup Final.

1 Klos
2 Porrini
3 Moore
4 Amoruso
5 Numan
6 B Ferguson
7 Kanchelskis
8 Van Bronckhorst
9 Mols
10 Wallace
11 Albertz

All in the correct position too except the 3-5 switch we did with Advocaat.

1 GK
2 RB
3 LB
4 CH
5 CH
6 CM
7 RW/RF
8 CM
9 ST
10 ST/FWD
11 LW/LM

Should be the law.
That's the way I remember except 4 was Right Half and 6 was Left Half.

1 GK Peter McCloy
2 RB Sandy Jardine
3 LB John Greig
4 CH Tom Forsyth
5 CH Colin Jackson
6 CM Alex McDonald
7 RW/RF Tommy McLean
8 CM bobby Russell
9 ST Derek Johnstone
10 ST/FWD Gordon Smith
11 LW/LM Davie Cooper

This is the law.

I am guessing (because I can’t remember) that squad numbers really came to the fore when players names started to be printed on the back of the shirts.

I can see how some folk are not bothered about squad numbers. I started being taken to games in 1962 so the team were numbered 1-11.

When I see people on the forum saying we could do with a true number 10, I think of Ralph Brand or Mark Hateley although I know that is not what they mean.

Back