Rangers star Morelos in race against time to face Hamilton after delayed return from Colombia

it’s relevant because if Defoe got injured before the game then Morelos would have likely had to play the 90 mins.

I’m not saying he couldn’t do that, I’m saying he couldn’t do it to the best of his abilities after a long haul flight. Plus the chances of him getting injured are increased.

You’re not seriously comparing your half marathon to a Rangers game in importance are you?!

Without meaning to be disrespectful to your job a professional footballer manages everything from sleep, diet, exercise throughout the week. Some down to the level of having their own travel pillows to avoid infection why go to all that bother if something like a long-haul flight isn’t going to affect their performance?

If it doesn’t make any difference whatsoever why doesn’t Morelos do it more often?!

I notice you avoided my question about how you’d feel if it was a cel’ic game.
It's not avoiding your question, it simply isn't relevant.
The manager has stated the Defoe was always starting this game, he's fine with Morelos coming back late, he's fine with him visiting his family in Colombia, he still saw fit to play him yesterday when there were another 5 players on the bench who he could have used.

I think you really need to let it go, you're looking for something to get pissed off about where there isn't anything.

Just for the hell of it though, I'd be fine if Gerrard allowed any player time with their family regardless of the opposition.
He clearly sees the importance of keeping his squad happy and being willing to bend every now and then.

It's not avoiding your question, it simply isn't relevant.
The manager has stated the Defoe was always starting this game, he's fine with Morelos coming back late, he's fine with him visiting his family in Colombia, he still saw fit to play him yesterday when there were another 5 players on the bench who he could have used.

I think you really need to let it go, you're looking for something to get pissed off about where there isn't anything.

Just for the hell of it though, I'd be fine if Gerrard allowed any player time with their family regardless of the opposition.
He clearly sees the importance of keeping his squad happy and being willing to bend every now and then.

Apart from Morelos who do you think was a suitable replacement for Defoe’s goals if it was needed. Presumably not Fod, Flanagan or Katic?!

It was always the plan to start Defoe but that doesn’t change the fact that Morelos should have been in a position to give his best 90 mins if required. A long haul flight the day before rules that out.

It was a calculated gamble and it’s paid off so I’m happy, not pissed off at all.

While I don’t agree with it I can understand the argument that the gaffer is keeping the player happy but you now seem to be arguing that taking a long haul flight the day before will not impact performance which everyone knows is nonesense.

The fact you completed a half marathon after a long shift doesn’t change that.

Apart from Morelos who do you think was a suitable replacement for Defoe’s goals if it was needed. Presumably not Fod, Flanagan or Katic?!

It was always the plan to start Defoe but that doesn’t change the fact that Morelos should have been in a position to give his best 90 mins if required. A long haul flight the day before rules that out.

It was a calculated gamble and it’s paid off so I’m happy, not pissed off at all.

While I don’t agree with it I can understand the argument that the gaffer is keeping the player happy but you now seem to be arguing that taking a long haul flight the day before will not impact performance which everyone knows is nonesense.

The fact you completed a half marathon after a long shift doesn’t change that.
Apart from Morelos?
I don't know how many times it needs said, Morelos was available and took part in the game.
Of course you know fine I was pointing out that if Morelos wasn't ready to play then the manager wouldn't have made that sub.

It's utterly laughable that you claim players can't play 90 minutes and everyone knows it's nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Juan Cuadrado played the full 90 minutes for Juventus on Saturday, likewise Davidson Sanchez for Spurs.
They played the same games as Alfie yet managed 90 minutes a day earlier.

I suppose it's nonsense that Jose Mourinho and Marizio Sarri saw fit to play them?

And in all of this, you seem to ignore the fact that there was a strike that caused Morelos flight to be later, what is anyone supposed to do about that?

As I suggested earlier, you really should give this up.

Apart from Morelos?
I don't know how many times it needs said, Morelos was available and took part in the game.
Of course you know fine I was pointing out that if Morelos wasn't ready to play then the manager wouldn't have made that sub.

It's utterly laughable that you claim players can't play 90 minutes and everyone knows it's nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Juan Cuadrado played the full 90 minutes for Juventus on Saturday, likewise Davidson Sanchez for Spurs.
They played the same games as Alfie yet managed 90 minutes a day earlier.

I suppose it's nonsense that Jose Mourinho and Marizio Sarri saw fit to play them?

As I suggested earlier, you really should give this up.

When did they return? Where they flying the day before? It proves my point, if they can make it for games a day earlier then Morelos should have been home in time.

I’m not saying he couldn’t play 90 mins. I’m saying he wouldn’t have been at his best and would have had an increased chance of injury. Please tell me you don’t disagree with that?!

When did they return? Where they flying the day before? It proves my point, if they can make it for games a day earlier then Morelos should have been home in time.

I’m not saying he couldn’t play 90 mins. I’m saying he wouldn’t have been at his best and would have had an increased chance of injury. Please tell me you don’t disagree with that?!
Morelos was given permission to visit his family, you're talking as if he's done something wrong.
I'll ask again, what is he supposed to do when there's industrial action delaying his flight?

I'm interested to know why this one flight places a player at increased risk of injury and affects performance.
You do know footballers flying the day before games is extremely common?

Morelos was given permission to visit his family, you're talking as if he's done something wrong.
I'll ask again, what is he supposed to do when there's industrial action delaying his flight?

I'm interested to know why this one flight places a player at increased risk of injury and affects performance.
You do know footballers flying the day before games is extremely common?

Tell me anywhere I’ve suggested Morelos has done anything wrong.... I’ll wait!

Morelos is faultless in this, he clearly had permission to return home so no where have I suggested he’s in the wrong.

Crossing multiple time zones disrupts the body’s circadian rhythms resulting in jet lag, sitting/limited movement for that length of time makes the limbs heavy and stiff but most significantly the reduced oxygen pressure produces a hypoxic affect in the body meaning that it’s deprived of enough oxygen. This takes around 24 hours to correct itself so Morelos would still have been feeling the affects of it.

There have been numerous studies that show the impact long haul flights have on the body so your contention that it’d have no impact on his body is just nonsense.

Tell me anywhere I’ve suggested Morelos has done anything wrong.... I’ll wait!

Morelos is faultless in this, he clearly had permission to return home so no where have I suggested he’s in the wrong.

Crossing multiple time zones disrupts the body’s circadian rhythms resulting in jet lag, sitting/limited movement for that length of time makes the limbs heavy and stiff but most significantly the reduced oxygen pressure produces a hypoxic affect in the body meaning that it’s deprived of enough oxygen. This takes around 24 hours to correct itself so Morelos would still have been feeling the affects of it.

There have been numerous studies that show the impact long haul flights have on the body so your contention that it’d have no impact on his body is just nonsense.
Bloody hell man, you wrote this
"if they can make it for games a day earlier then Morelos should have been home in time." and insist you haven't even suggest Morelos is in the wrong?

I'm amazed that from going to the hassle of googling it, the best you could come up with is that he might be sitting about a long time.

I would like you to point out where I've said that long haul flights have no impact on the human body. I think you'll find you just made that up.
I have asked how the flight makes it more likely he'll get injured.
I'll wait for the explanation of that.

Bloody hell man, you wrote this
"if they can make it for games a day earlier then Morelos should have been home in time." and insist you haven't even suggest Morelos is in the wrong?

I'm amazed that from going to the hassle of googling it, the best you could come up with is that he might be sitting about a long time.

I would like you to point out where I've said that long haul flights have no impact on the human body. I think you'll find you just made that up.
I have asked how the flight makes it more likely he'll get injured.
I'll wait for the explanation of that.

You said and I’ll quote you....

I've done a 14 hour shift on the back of a long haul flight, I've run a half marathon 9 hours after a 17 hour shift. It's not that big a deal for me, I doubt a proper professional athlete is genuinely going to struggle.

I didn’t have to google it the affects of long distance flying are well known to most.

Morelos should have been home in time, the fact he wasn’t doesn’t mean it was his fault. If there were strikes that’s out with anyone’s control but if there is civil unrest then it could have perhaps been foreseen by whoever sanctioned his return home prior to an important match.

You said and I’ll quote you....

I didn’t have to google it the affects of long distance flying are well known to most.

Morelos should have been home in time, the fact he wasn’t doesn’t mean it was his fault. If there were strikes that’s out with anyone’s control but if there is civil unrest then it could have perhaps been foreseen by whoever sanctioned his return home prior to an important match.
I've said I doubt a professional athlete is going to struggle, that's a million miles from saying a long haul flight has no effect on the human body.

I'm still hoping to hear how he's more likely to be injured.

I've said I doubt a professional athlete is going to struggle, that's a million miles from saying a long haul flight has no effect on the human body.

I'm still hoping to hear how he's more likely to be injured.

When we travel we are likely to get less sleep and this combination of sleep loss and jet lag acts as a double whammy on athletic performance. This results in increased reaction time and decreased accuracy both of which are undesirable when you compete. Additionally, the risk of getting injured increases, pain sensitivity increases and the combined effects of reduced levels of testosterone and growth hormone, and increased levels of hormones that break down protein and muscle, result in slower recovery. There is reduction in anaerobic power and capacity, and dynamic strength. Finally, this double whammy of sleep loss and jet lag lends to increased errors and results in increased fouls. All these effects are highly undesirable to any performance.

Found on: https://leadersinsport.com/performance/jet-lag-athletic-performance/

There you go, the above quote I did google. I assume the fact you're focusing on injury now means you've dropped the ridiculous claim that the flight wouldn't impact his performance.

Look, I'll reiterate what I said, I don't think Morelos should have been allowed to travel home so close to an important match when there is protests in Colombia, the whole point of protesting is to cause as much disruption to infrastructure as possible so that people take heed of your cause so the industrial action that caused Morelos' late return could have perhaps been foreseen by whoever sanctioned his travel home.

In response to that you have been all over the place and said some contradictory statements;
  1. First of all you made the point about Morelos family having issues getting into US without any any basis. And said about it being a 'quick' stop for Morelos to go back to Colombia, which it clearly isn't.
  2. You then imply 'we're playing Hamilton, it's not an issue', a line that was quickly dropped after the game, understandably given how it went.
  3. You completely dismiss the impact long haul flights have on athletic performance seemingly based on the fact you managed a long shift at work after a long haul flight.
  4. You dismiss the possibility of Defoe getting injured and Morelos have to play 90 mins based on the fact they normally get subbed at 70 mins. Which is just a weird line of argument.
  5. You say the manager was fine with Morelos coming home late (implying he had no issue with him flying 24 hours before the game) then say he was late because of industrial action.
  6. You then cite the fact that Morelos got 5 mins game time as proof that he could have played the 90 mins, as if one is the same as the other.
  7. You point out Cuadrado and Sanchez played on the Saturday, implying that they flew within 24 hours (cause that's what we're discussing about Morelos) without any proof.
  8. You then ridiculously claim I'm making out Morelos was in the wrong.
If you're arguing that it's only Hamilton and it doesn't matter if we have our best players in prime condition then I'd suggest that goes against everything Gerrard says about standards.

If you're arguing that long-haul flights don't affect athletic performance, then that is clearly nonsense.

You're all over the place with your arguments but, as far as I can tell your argument seems to be that preparation isn't that important when you're playing Hamilton. I disagree.

There you go, the above quote I did google. I assume the fact you're focusing on injury now means you've dropped the ridiculous claim that the flight wouldn't impact his performance.

Look, I'll reiterate what I said, I don't think Morelos should have been allowed to travel home so close to an important match when there is protests in Colombia, the whole point of protesting is to cause as much disruption to infrastructure as possible so that people take heed of your cause so the industrial action that caused Morelos' late return could have perhaps been foreseen by whoever sanctioned his travel home.

In response to that you have been all over the place and said some contradictory statements;
  1. First of all you made the point about Morelos family having issues getting into US without any any basis. And said about it being a 'quick' stop for Morelos to go back to Colombia, which it clearly isn't.
  2. You then imply 'we're playing Hamilton, it's not an issue', a line that was quickly dropped after the game, understandably given how it went.
  3. You completely dismiss the impact long haul flights have on athletic performance seemingly based on the fact you managed a long shift at work after a long haul flight.
  4. You dismiss the possibility of Defoe getting injured and Morelos have to play 90 mins based on the fact they normally get subbed at 70 mins. Which is just a weird line of argument.
  5. You say the manager was fine with Morelos coming home late (implying he had no issue with him flying 24 hours before the game) then say he was late because of industrial action.
  6. You then cite the fact that Morelos got 5 mins game time as proof that he could have played the 90 mins, as if one is the same as the other.
  7. You point out Cuadrado and Sanchez played on the Saturday, implying that they flew within 24 hours (cause that's what we're discussing about Morelos) without any proof.
  8. You then ridiculously claim I'm making out Morelos was in the wrong.
If you're arguing that it's only Hamilton and it doesn't matter if we have our best players in prime condition then I'd suggest that goes against everything Gerrard says about standards.

If you're arguing that long-haul flights don't affect athletic performance, then that is clearly nonsense.

You're all over the place with your arguments but, as far as I can tell your argument seems to be that preparation isn't that important when you're playing Hamilton. I disagree.
1. I questioned whether they all held passports and had no issues gaining access to the USA. You said they should have gone there without knowing if it was possible.
2. Just a lie. Only a couple of posts back I clearly stated I'd be fine regardless of the opposition.
3. I said I doubt he'd genuinely struggle.
I stand by that, or are we saying that the entire coaching, fitness and performance staff at Rangers put him at risk on Sunday?
4. How could I dismiss the possibility of anyone getting injured, especially on one of those pitches? Again, that is just made up.
I'm pretty sure stating Alfie was ready to play isn't saying Defoe can't get injured.
5. What is your point here? Gerrard clearly stated he was fine in his interview, he was late due to industrial action.
6. I cite Morelos playing as proof that he was able to play. Again, I don't believe the entire staff of Rangers would put him at risk, especially when it was only 5 minutes.
7. I got my timeline wrong on that, I'll accept that was wrong.
8. I already highlighted your quote on that. If you don't want to imply Morelos was in the wrong perhaps "he should have been home on time" isn't the best use of words. It comes across as if he's missed curfew!

You seem convinced he's likely to be injured based on google telling you he may have less oxygen in his blood or he might be a bit jetlagged.
I'm quite happy to believe that we wouldn't risk our best player for the sake of 5 minutes, especially a striker coming on in a game we were winning.

I'm going to leave the thread now mate.
Have a nice day.

1. I questioned whether they all held passports and had no issues gaining access to the USA. You said they should have gone there without knowing if it was possible.
2. Just a lie. Only a couple of posts back I clearly stated I'd be fine regardless of the opposition.
3. I said I doubt he'd genuinely struggle.
I stand by that, or are we saying that the entire coaching, fitness and performance staff at Rangers put him at risk on Sunday?
4. How could I dismiss the possibility of anyone getting injured, especially on one of those pitches? Again, that is just made up.
I'm pretty sure stating Alfie was ready to play isn't saying Defoe can't get injured.
5. What is your point here? Gerrard clearly stated he was fine in his interview, he was late due to industrial action.
6. I cite Morelos playing as proof that he was able to play. Again, I don't believe the entire staff of Rangers would put him at risk, especially when it was only 5 minutes.
7. I got my timeline wrong on that, I'll accept that was wrong.
8. I already highlighted your quote on that. If you don't want to imply Morelos was in the wrong perhaps "he should have been home on time" isn't the best use of words. It comes across as if he's missed curfew!

You seem convinced he's likely to be injured based on google telling you he may have less oxygen in his blood or he might be a bit jetlagged.
I'm quite happy to believe that we wouldn't risk our best player for the sake of 5 minutes, especially a striker coming on in a game we were winning.

I'm going to leave the thread now mate.
Have a nice day.

Mate, you are completely missing the point. Just because he only played 5 mins doesn't mean that he wouldn't have been needed for 90 if circumstances been different (Defoe injury prior to match for instance).

It was big of you to accept you're wrong, the point you're conceding shows that it's not common practice for footballers to do long haul flights 24 hours prior to match and there's a reason for that (shown in link I cited).

We obviously won't agree but that's fair enough and we've both said our piece so best to leave it there.

You too, enjoy your day!

Back