Rangers starlet Lewis Mayo says tackling Defoe and Morelos in training can help him be first-team star

BlueMeanie

LEWIS MAYO was a model pupil when at school, getting straight A grades along the way.

But the Rangers youngster admits he’s learning new lessons every day when he is tackling the likes of Alfredo Morelos and Jermain Defoe.

The 19-year-old defender marked his top-team debut with a dream goal in the 5-0 Ibrox friendly thumping of Oxford United in July.

He will return to the scene of the greatest moment of his career so far this afternoon as Rangers’ Under-21s take on Wrexham for a place in the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup last four.

A lot has changed for the youngster recently, with Gers boss Steven Gerrard promoting the rookie stopper to the first-team dressing room.

Walking into a room full of stars like Steven Davis, Allan McGregor, Ryan Kent and James Tavernier was a milestone moment for Mayo.

He scored in the pre-season friendly win over Oxford
But he says he is relishing the chance to spend his working days trying to impress his new pals.

He said: “Moving to the first-team dressing room was a massive milestone for me.

“I have been here since I was seven and that is what I have been working towards all those years.

“It was the gaffer who told me to move. You have to take confidence from that, that someone like him is backing you.

“You have to take that as a really positive sign.

“I have been around the first team before and I did pre-season with them, so I knew all the players and the staff.

“But it was quite a funny feeling coming in the first-team side of the training ground, rather than the youth side. Connor Goldson has been brilliant with me. He has always had an eye out for me when I play alongside him.

“Jermain Defoe has been excellent for me as well, because I play against him. He will tell me what I am doing well.

“It is hard marking him and the thing is, it is either him or Alfredo Morelos, so you are not really getting a break!

“They are both top-quality strikers who are at the top of their games. As a learning experience, you are not going to get much better than playing against them.

“Personally, it was a massive achievement to move round, but there is an added responsibility because you need to be ready to step in when asked.

“Of course, I have still got to be performing in the games for the colts team while I am training with the first team.

“If anything, there is more pressure on me now because people see me as being a more senior player.

“So the quality needs to be even higher every day to help set the example.

“That Oxford game was a special day for me. I am a Rangers fan, so to score a goal was special for me and for my family, who were all in the stand that day.

“The reassuring thing for me was that when I stepped out I felt confident.

“There was a rush of blood at the start but I had to trust that the years of preparation and training I’d done in the academy had me ready for it.”

Mayo will look to help Graeme Murty’s rookies into the semi-final and he believes his young team-mates have already shown their qualities during this cup run.

They have defeated Berwick, Stranraer, Irish outfit Ballymena and English side Solihull Moors to make the last eight.

They might be a colts team, but Mayo knows the Rangers fans who turn up at Ibrox will be looking for them to win.

He added: “Playing at Rangers, there is an added pressure because you are not only going into a high-pressure, high-quality environment, you need to win as well.

“That comes down to training and the standards in training are exceptionally high.

“That is the way it needs to be and it prepares all the young players for going into that team.

“When you look at our team, we have got some really exciting players and a lot of quality in there.

“We are not the first team, we don’t have the experience of the senior players, but given the journey we have had already, and some of the teams we have put ourselves up against, we’re showing how much quality we have. Hopefully we can go all the way.

“Even in previous years, when we weren’t successful and we were getting beaten and put out in the early rounds, it was still a good experience because we still learned from it.

“I think it shows that the players in this squad have matured because we are now able to go and compete and get results.”

He didn't look out of place that day against Oxford.

I think he will do well tomorrow (and obviously if we lose, someone can come back to this and mock me).

But having our younger ones up against Defoe, Morelos and others is brilliant experience. Especially if, as it seems, Defoe is giving extra tips and advice.

Jermain Defoe has been excellent for me as well, because I play against him. He will tell me what I am doing well

Defoe really is the unseen hero of this squad. I know he's seen and scores of course, but I think his true value is what he does in training. Him coming to the club and Alfie going up another few levels and screwing the nut and him coaching the youngsters is invaluable. Long may it continue. Man love for JD :D

He’s a lot bigger than I remembered him being. Looked very composed in the midfield. Anchored the midfield for Barjonas.

Goldson looking after him and Defoe telling him 'from a strikers perspective' what he is doing right. I like to hear that, also, not telling him where he is going wrong, keeping it positive.

For someone who is a natural central defender, he slotted into a holding midfield role yesterday and was outstanding.

Never gave possession away once and has really developed physically.

He's filled out and is now a couple of inches taller than Edmundson as well.

He's got a big future ahead of him.

For someone who is a natural central defender, he slotted into a holding midfield role yesterday and was outstanding.

Never gave possession away once and has really developed physically.

He's filled out and is now a couple of inches taller than Edmundson as well.

He's got a big future ahead of him.
Seen Lewis before a few times and really like him but for me he looks a CD don’t see him as CM , certainly not at this time he is of course fledging talent and can develop . Re his height that would make Lewis Mayo 6’5” ? I’d have thought not but I’ve been wrong and will be again and again lol.

Seen Lewis before a few times and really like him but for me he looks a CD don’t see him as CM , certainly not at this time he is of course fledging talent and can develop . Re his height that would make Lewis Mayo 6’5” ? I’d have thought not but I’ve been wrong and will be again and again lol.

He's definitely a central defender mate, but clearly Murty played him there to do a particular job for him and it worked.

I'd say George is about 6ft 2in, he's slightly smaller than Goldson and Katic, so I'd put Lewis at about 6ft 3 possibly?

Dunno mate I read 1.9m for Edmundson which is just over 6’3’’ . I hope to be able to get an accurate height for Lewis . If I do I will share.
He’s looked vg CD imo , I like his touches to create time and space and the possibility of adventuring forward or picking a pass . It looks really informed to me .

Dunno mate I read 1.9m for Edmundson which is just over 6’3’’ . I hope to be able to get an accurate height for Lewis . If I do I will share.
He’s looked vg CD imo , I like his touches to create time and space and the possibility of adventuring forward or picking a pass . It looks really informed to me .

Well he's definitely taller than George, so if he is 6ft 3in, then Lewis must be at least 6ft 4in.

Some of these sites are questionable for heights though mate.

Ross McCrorie has been quoted as 6ft 3in, when he's around 6ft.

On your main point though, I agree 100%.

Lewis Mayo looks the real deal.

Back