Official Rangers Statement on Bus Incident

Ok I'll bite.

The Asian culture of farming and eating dogs was commonplace because it was cheaper than rearing cattle. Over the years this has faded away as the area became more wealthy. To sing that an Asian person "ate your dog" could be seen as suggesting that they are so poor/backward that they can't afford proper food and therefore resorted to stealing and eating your dog.

Its clearly racist and highly offensive to Asians.
I think some folk are just genuinely not aware of what racism is. They think some things are racist but others aren’t. It’s as if they pick and choose what to be offended by.

I even had a poster on page 20 tell me that what I frequently encounter up here isn’t racism. Even though I explained in depth what I have come across.

I guess they are part of the problem, too (whether they realise it, it not).

Such a shame.

I think some folk are just genuinely not aware of what racism is. They think some things are racist but others aren’t. It’s as if they pick and choose what to be offended by.

I even had a poster on page 20 tell me that what I frequently encounter up here isn’t racism. Even though I explained in depth what I have come across.

I guess they are part of the problem, too (whether they realise it, it not).

Such a shame.
The mindset is that casual racism is permissible. Akin to:

‘what are you doing for dinner?
‘I’m gettin’ a chinky’.

‘I’m gettin’ a chinky’.
To be fair, the poster confirmed that he wasn’t aware some things were classed as racism. I do hope he’s not made racist remarks in the past (entirely, plausible when he’s confirming he doesn’t know what racism is).

Maybe the lads on the bus singing that song (not the ones making the eye gestures) are of the same mind-set and didn’t class certain things as racist (as wrong as they are).

Then again, maybe they did know it was racist and proceeded anyway. Who, knows? That’s why Rangers had to act the way in which they did.

I wouldn’t want to see everyone on here who indulged in anti-English racism during the Euros banned from Ibrox for life. I genuinely don’t believe all of these folk are racist.

There was a thread in the Lounge last week, asking if the 40+ generation wished they had mobile phones back in their younger years.
What has happened here is another reason to think 'thank fcuk there wasn't' given some of what went on, on some buses:oops: but then again, Bears weren't eager to see other Bears hung out to dry over 1 stupid, childish incident.
The wank who filmed it needs a word in his ear though.
Childish incident? Who gives a fcuk if they’re a bear or not, belittling their racist behaviour is part of the problem.

Thank fk the the club, and most supporters, can see it for what it is.

Ok I'll bite.

The Asian culture of farming and eating dogs was commonplace because it was cheaper than rearing cattle. Over the years this has faded away as the area became more wealthy. To sing that an Asian person "ate your dog" could be seen as suggesting that they are so poor/backward that they can't afford proper food and therefore resorted to stealing and eating your dog.

Opposition fans will regularly sing songs such as “in your Glasgow slums” and “feed the weegies, let them know it’s Christmas time”.

Can we now call them racist due to them suggesting we’re so poor we can’t afford proper food?

‘I’m gettin’ a chinky’.

There is a spectrum though and people seem to have lost sight of that. A comment like that is of a totally different order to whispering in someone’s ear “you’re a fucking monkey, you know you are.” The subject is such a social taboo that it’s very difficult to have honest conversations about it.

Due to Covid and reduced ticket allocations RSC's are already struggling to survive..
Imbecilic behaviour like this, especially when it is shared on social media shall be their death knell.

Opposition fans will regularly sing songs such as “in your Glasgow slums” and “feed the weegies, let them know it’s Christmas time”.

Can we now call them racist due to them suggesting we’re so poor we can’t afford proper food?
Yes. There seems to be this perception that you can't be racist against white, Scottish, British folk. There's a stated case where a fella from Liverpool was racially abused by being called a scouse lady's front bottom or similar.

If that happens to you and it bothers you then calls the cops and phone the papers. If it doesnt bother then dont.

Ok I'll bite.

It's no more offensive than fans from Aberdeen or Edinburgh singing about Glaswegians eating rats as a treat because we live in slums.

Or an Englishman saying I eat deep-fried Mars bars because I'm a "sweaty".

I am an adult, takes more than words to hurt me.

It's no more offensive than fans from Aberdeen or Edinburgh singing about Glaswegians eating rats as a treat because we live in slums.

Or an Englishman saying I eat deep-fried Mars bars because I'm a "sweaty".

I am an adult, takes more than words to hurt me.
Fair play. I can understand why Kyogo would feel differently this week though. If you went to play in Japan and a month in folk were mocking your appearance and your presumed poor Glaswegian roots you might feel differently about it.

To be fair, the poster confirmed that he wasn’t aware some things were classed as racism. I do hope he’s not made racist remarks in the past (entirely, plausible when he’s confirming he doesn’t know what racism is).

Maybe the lads on the bus singing that song (not the ones making the eye gestures) are of the same mind-set and didn’t class certain things as racist (as wrong as they are).

Then again, maybe they did know it was racist and proceeded anyway. Who, knows? That’s why Rangers had to act the way in which they did.

I wouldn’t want to see everyone on here who indulged in anti-English racism during the Euros banned from Ibrox for life. I genuinely don’t believe all of these folk are racist.
This is the problem isn’t it. What’s permissible and what isn’t. There is no longer the leeway afforded to the ordinary person of casually using a throwaway line.

Strict liability, I’m afraid, is here to stay. As the years go by, a happy medium is becoming less and less acceptable, everything is more polarised - black and white if you will. Shades of grey are too much of a get out.

I just hope this rush to becoming more and more entrenched in ideological viewpoints doesn’t comeback to haunt us (in a general societal sense).

Like you, I believe that many people who succumb to the odd moment of casual misuse of language aren’t inherently racist. The problem is that there are many who hide behind this that are in fact racist and unashamedly so.

Wonder what will happen on buses now . Will any sort of non rangers songs be gone . Super rangers , billy boys etc . Or will the convenyer just warm people about filming . Would be sad if buses just become quiet non singing things because people are scared of a similar outcome . Honestly think the future is official away buses organised by rangers which will ban alcohol and singing will be non existent
Alcohol has been banned on busses going to football and any sporting events, for as well over 30 years now

The amount of people just blindly defending the racists on here or is actually concerning.

Probably the same people outraged when Kamara got abused or the same people who post the same picture of that guy making the monkey face at Diouf. Even talk about the bananas being thrown at Mark Walters.

You want to get rid of racism when it suits you. Its time now to hold up our hands and admit theres a problem, no matter how big or small. Minority or majority. It needs to be addressed.

Its embarrassing and will forever hold us back.

Fair play. I can understand why Kyogo would feel differently this week though. If you went to play in Japan and a month in folk were mocking your appearance and your presumed poor Glaswegian roots you might feel differently about it.
I wouldn't mate.

I know the eye pulling was for sure racist because it is making fun of a racial feature.

But I haven't heard a proper explanation about how the chant about eating dog is racist, dog meat is available in many restaurants in Japan it is making fun of a cultural practice.

If a Scottish player went to Japan and fans there sung a song mocking the player for eating haggis would that be racist?

The dog chant might be racist, but I haven't read a proper explanation of why it is racist.
It's not. But the eye thing is....albeit they probably know nothing about Japan, or even where it is on a map. The lads need education, and aspiration and not lifetime bans.

Given we aren't a race, I'd say no.

Ok I'll bite.

That's not racism. That's like calling a perosn in your class at school a tramp or gypo if they had old clothes or bad glasses etc. It is 'classist' if anything.

There is a spectrum though and people seem to have lost sight of that. A comment like that is of a totally different order to whispering in someone’s ear “you’re a fucking monkey, you know you are.” The subject is such a social taboo that it’s very difficult to have honest conversations about it.

This ^^^

Far too many of our have been conflating this incident and actual racism like Kudela - who was sober, a professional, and knew exactly what he was doing and saying.

If you called someone a gypo you would 100% get done for a racial if they phoned the polis

Not when I was at school.....the 'poor kids' always got it and still do now. That's not racism and I rather think you know it isn't. Guy in our class who got pelters (wrongly of course) was called John and had red hair!!

The amount of people just blindly defending the racists on here or is actually concerning.

Probably the same people outraged when Kamara got abused or the same people who post the same picture of that guy making the monkey face at Diouf. Even talk about the bananas being thrown at Mark Walters.

You want to get rid of racism when it suits you. Its time now to hold up our hands and admit theres a problem, no matter how big or small. Minority or majority. It needs to be addressed.

Its embarrassing and will forever hold us back.

The question needs to be asked, how far are we willing to go to not be offensive to anyone.

It's not a football question but as a society as a whole?

Do you have a right, as an individual, to be offensive, to whomever you choose to be offensive to?

Not when I was at school.....the 'poor kids' always got it and still do now. That's not racism and I rather think you know it isn't. Guy in our class who got pelters (wrongly of course) was called John and had red hair!!
It may have passed you by but things have moved on quite a bit from when we are at school. "Gypo" is widely recognised as a derogatory term for Gypsy Travellers who are covered as a race by law.

Could well be but I reckon it’ll be a few years minimum with a lot of hoops to jump through

Speculation on my part but how do RSCs police games if non-members are travelling on their buses etc?

The individuals deserve their ban and I don’t have any sympathy for racists.
Tell them the rules before the bus leaves and they will be asked to get off if they don't abide by the rules

“actual racism” just get to fcuk with that shite, again making excuses because alcohol may have been consumed.

Saying "I'm going for a chinky" is NOT the same as what Kudela did and you are wasting adult time here by pretending that it it. Life DOES still have shades of grey, and 'graduated slopes'....it is not as some of you young people think an instant and savage destruction of what you percieve to ;bad thinking'...

Will he though? Being oblivious to juvenile behaviour on a supporters bus is different to being directly abused by customers at your place of work. Will he feel slighted now that he has effectively been used as a political pawn by being portrayed as a victim of such societal injustice? Maybe. Maybe not. He won’t be any less fired up next Sunday, put it that way.

What is really sad in all of this is the fact that the daftarses engaging in the Jim Davidsonesque poking fun at ‘Chalky’ have been brought up in an era to fully know that this playground humour is wrong on so many levels. The other members of the WRSC and by extension the wider Rangers fanbase, have just been unfortunate collateral damage arising from their booze fuelled japery.

I’m resigned to the fact that this won’t be the last time that Rangers supporters take a Winchester to their own feet.

The question needs to be asked, how far are we willing to go to not be offensive to anyone.

It's not a football question but as a society as a whole?

Do you have a right, as an individual, to be offensive, to whomever you choose to be offensive to?

You can be offensive without being racist.

Not once did I say we need to stop being offensive.

Will he though? Being oblivious to juvenile behaviour on a supporters bus is different to being directly abused by customers at your place of work. Will he feel slighted now that he has effectively been used as a political pawn by being portrayed as a victim of such societal injustice? Maybe. Maybe not. He won’t be any less fired up next Sunday, put it that way.

What is really sad in all of this is the fact that the daftarses engaging in the Jim Davidsonesque poking fun at ‘Chalky’ have been brought up in an era to fully know that this playground humour is wrong on so many levels. The other members of the WRSC and by extension the wider Rangers fanbase, have just been unfortunate collateral damage arising from their booze fuelled japery.

I’m resigned to the fact that this won’t be the last time that Rangers supporters take a Winchester to their own feet.

Don't disagree with that. He will definately be fired up for Sunday you'd imagine

But you have files and links to each and every case you find upsetting.

I will reiterate: referrring to someone as being a low class tramp type is NOT racist. It may be unsavoury, but it's not racist.
You can think its not all you like. The law says differently. Lets just leave it there.

Saying "I'm going for a chinky" is NOT the same as what Kudela did and you are wasting adult time here by pretending that it it. Life DOES still have shades of grey, and 'graduated slopes'....it is not as some of you young people think an instant and savage destruction of what you percieve to ;bad thinking'...
Your post stated “this incident” as not actual racism, do keep up auld yin.

On your own personal colour palette of grey, how close would what Kudela said and pulling your eyes wider to mock an Asian be? Comparable or miles apart?

Your post stated “this incident” as not actual racist, do keep up auld yin.

On your own personal colour palette of grey, how close would what Kudela said and pulling your eyes wider to mock an Asian be? Comparable or miles apart?

Far apart....drunk ned on bus v professional footballer mid-game. One can't pick Japan out on a map, one has used forethought and actually planned the move.

Back