Rangers Still in Talks With Claudio Marchisio According to French Website

Find it mental that folk are turning their nose up at marchisio

If he isn’t able to play at the level or regularity we need because his legs have gone, we should not be considering him. It would just another expensive old player that drained our scarce resources. It’s not like we are short of midfielders.

I'll go with no. Honestly I'm kind of done with 31 and over players, the bad has outweighed the good in what we've got past few years. He was some player though. Acl mixed with poor pitched, recipe for disaster.

A few years ago yes, amazing signing. But now? He’s not really played in at least a year.

I’d like to know why us. If its is or Monaco, why us?

The Monaco who almost got relegated last year and sit second bottom with only 2 draws from 4 games?

Monaco are not the draw they used to be.

The Monaco who almost got relegated last year and sit second bottom with only 2 draws from 4 games?

Monaco are not the draw they used to be.
Agreed, but I’m guessing he’s after the buck - hence joining Zenit if all people. At least in monte carlo he’ll be living on the riviera tax free!

If he wants to join us because its Rangers ir because if SG great!!! I just dont see it.

Ooooh Rangers or Monaco.
Monaco huge funds.Nice place.

But..they narrowly avoided relegation last year have no European football and play in front of 8000 people.

Not as crazy as some may think. Specially if he's spoken to Gattuso etc Al.

You'd think someone would have snapped him up by now! Probably to many injury concerns and rightly so

Surely if he was half as good as he used to be he would have been snapped up during the transfer window rather than still be a free agent in September?

Ooooh Rangers or Monaco.
Monaco huge funds.Nice place.

But..they narrowly avoided relegation last year have no European football and play in front of 8000 people.

Not as crazy as some may think. Specially if he's spoken to Gattuso etc Al.

Don’t particularly want this guy or think it’ll happen. But the arguments about Partick vs Monte Carlo don’t necessarily hold up. As the continual airport reports of Morelos over the Summer show, it’s very possible for a millionaire sportsman living in Glasgow to spend most of his downtime in London which does stack up well with most other places.

Surely if he was half as good as he used to be he would have been snapped up during the transfer window rather than still be a free agent in September?

This.
Reputation is one thing and he’s definitely got it. But we’ve a habit of buying big name players past their best over the years and not too many have come off for us. That seemed to be knocked on the head.

If he was ‘pay as you play’ and effectively a low risk gamble, fair enough. But recent history with him shows he’s on the decline. That’s not hard to argue?

Loving all the Marchisio experts who have followed his career so closely the last few years that they are able to tell you categorically that he is done, finished, his legs are gone etc

So why is he a free agent if he’s not got question marks against him because of the Zenit time?
If you’ve followed him close enough to categorically state they aren’t an issue, you seem to be in a better position of judgement on him that any prospective club - or his agent has fallen asleep on his phone somewhere.

So why is he a free agent if he’s not got question marks against him because of the Zenit time?
If you’ve followed him close enough to categorically state they aren’t an issue, you seem to be in a better position of judgement on him that any prospective club - or his agent has fallen asleep on his phone somewhere.
Yes because no good player ever becomes a free agent. And you’ll notice I didn’t state anything about whether there’s any issues with him. Probably best read my post again lad.

Is that the bit you’re dismissing anyone raising a concern as an “expert” or what bit did I get wrong?
I think it’s clearly fair to say that if there were no concerns then someone somewhere would have been in for him. Either that or he’s massively overpricing himself.

Neither works for us, especially on a limited budget.

Don’t particularly want this guy or think it’ll happen. But the arguments about Partick vs Monte Carlo don’t necessarily hold up. As the continual airport reports of Morelos over the Summer show, it’s very possible for a millionaire sportsman living in Glasgow to spend most of his downtime in London which does stack up well with most other places.

I'm not sure if you can tell me or if anyone else can fill me in but with the guys who spend most of their time in London (Morelos, Grezda, Barisic) do they literally fly back and forth every day?

Is that the bit you’re dismissing anyone raising a concern as an “expert” or what bit did I get wrong?
I think it’s clearly fair to say that if there were no concerns then someone somewhere would have been in for him. Either that or he’s massively overpricing himself.

Neither works for us, especially on a limited budget.
Now Carlton, you didn’t read it again did you?

I’m not playing the game, it’s pointless.
But we can’t have it both ways. People are criticising signing Grezda because of a lack of due diligence.

If this guy has the recent track record he has, I don’t care how many titles at Juventus he’s won or whatever. Irrelevant. It’s what he’s capable of now.

So my point, and of others, is let’s not piss a significant amount of money up a wall potentially. If he was still as good as he could be, would we even be having this discussion. Extremely doubtful. That says it all.

I'm not sure if you can tell me or if anyone else can fill me in but with the guys who spend most of their time in London (Morelos, Grezda, Barisic) do they literally fly back and forth every day?

No idea. Suspect you know much better than me. From what was reported here, it sounded like Morelos was going down most weekends in the close season and midweek when playing - presumably whenever he has a day off training. Relative to their salaries, transport isn’t exactly expensive.

I tend to agree with the “it would be a massive gamble” side of the argument. Not many players who are without a club post transfer window are so because they are highly in demand. That’s a fair concern.

Aside from the obvious concerns he’s clearly not had a pre season so when would he even be ready for first team football... the end of October/ November maybe. You’ve got Docherty and King who have barely had a sniff of first team games.

I’m really struggling to see what the point would be.

No idea. Suspect you know much better than me. From what was reported here, it sounded like Morelos was going down most weekends in the close season and midweek when playing - presumably whenever he has a day off training. Relative to their salaries, transport isn’t exactly expensive.

Cheers, this wasn't a leading question I was genuinely interested to know.

Its the allure of signing that "marquee player" that seems to get everyone in a frothy mess every time it happens but when you boil it down too hard facts it would seem like a signing that doesn't make a great deal of sense.

Still a free agent despite being a quality player apparently
Doesn't fit with the model of signing players to develop
Has no sell on value
Was very poor in his spell with Zenit
Wouldnt fit within our wage structure
Plays a position where we already have an abundance of options
History suggests players like this rarely work out for us.

All in all it would seem a bit of a strange signing.

Its the allure of signing that "marquee player" that seems to get everyone in a frothy mess every time it happens but when you boil it down too hard facts it would seem like a signing that doesn't make a great deal of sense.

Still a free agent despite being a quality player apparently
Doesn't fit with the model of signing players to develop
Has no sell on value
Was very poor in his spell with Zenit
Wouldnt fit within our wage structure
Plays a position where we already have an abundance of options
History suggests players like this rarely work out for us.

All in all it would seem a bit of a strange signing.
People said Kent was knee-jerk... this would have been knee-jerk. Do people actually think this is happening?

People said Kent was knee-jerk... this would have been knee-jerk. Do people actually think this is happening?

Don’t really follow that. Kent was the definition of the opposite of knee jerk. We had clearly been pursuing him literally every minute of the transfer window.

And Kent would seem the opposite of Marchisio. A young guy with known fitness who we also know bleeds blue and would run through granite to play for us versus an older player with conspicuous injury history and with questionable motivation.

If this happens, hope he comes good but there are way too many risks to be unquestionably enthusiastic and seems very unlikely it will happen

Don’t really follow that. Kent was the definition of the opposite of knee jerk. We had clearly been pursuing him literally every minute of the transfer window.

And Kent would seem the opposite of Marchisio. A young guy with known fitness who we also know bleeds blue and would run through granite to play for us versus an older player with conspicuous injury history and with questionable motivation.

If this happens, hope he comes good but there are way too many risks to be unquestionably enthusiastic and seems very unlikely it will happen
You definitely do not follow, because I never once said Kent was knee jerk :))

Unless I've missed them from the thread,

The silence from the ITK posters has me thinking this could happen.

Remember if he does sign, it'll be an agreement of our terms and his.

Loving all the Marchisio experts who have followed his career so closely the last few years that they are able to tell you categorically that he is done, finished, his legs are gone etc

Loving the experts that have watched every minute of his 15 matches in Russia.

Prior to that he made about 20 appearances the season before. One of the highest earners in Russia, Zenit career dogged by an old knee injury that flared up again eventually resulting in him missing the remained of the season and his contract mutually terminated. He's not played since February, has had 6 knee injuries and is recovering from the latest operation on his knee back in April.

He'd be months off fitness, makes no sense
Does he speak English though..?

That winning mentality around the squad might be worth something if so, whilst he gets fit. Thats IF we could structure a short term pay as you play deal.

We have top class facilities and apparently taken on England's physio so there could be a lot of benefit all round if he's not wanting crazy money to "get fit"

Surely, even not at full fitness he'd stroll this league. Our league is among the very worst in European football.

Used to be class player Marchisio though, would have loved it a few years ago!

Also surely 33 isn't career over age?

Surely, even not at full fitness he'd stroll this league. Our league is among the very worst in European football.

Used to be class player Marchisio though, would have loved it a few years ago!

Also surely 33 isn't career over age?

How many players, not at full fitness and recovering from injuries, have “strolled our league?”

The SPL lacks finesse and skill but is a hard, fast, physical league. One of our selling points for getting youth loans from the EPL is to toughen them up. It is the very opposite of a retirement home. Look at how Alves performed with us vs at other ‘better’ but slower leagues.

It is rare for players to do well in the SPL unless very motivated to do so. Davis is a diehard fan who thinks he owes us for the years he missed. MacGregor bleeds blue and is a goalkeeper. Defoe is renowned as an absolutely consummate professional and freakishly fit. They are the exceptions not the rule

As much as I hate Lego being brought into our threads he came and strolled it at Ibrox once again, meny a F/F expert has told me his legs are done etc. His influence over that team is apparent their players look to him as a leader. Could this boy give us a bit of that winning mentality?

Back