Rangers' support at 2008 UEFA Cup final in Manchester tops Spanish football site poll

Best support bar none, and always have been. The scum took 7,000 to Lisbon in 1967, Rangers took more than 20,000 to Barcelona in 1972, at a time when foreign travel for the ordinary Joe in the street was still relatively rare. Manchester took it to a whole new level and the city never knew what hit it.

Seen a picture on Twitter of Man City's away support in Ukraine the other night. Must have been about 50 of them and a Man City supporters defence was "show me a club that can do better travelling to a war torn country in the middle of the week."

Where to start..... :))

Best support bar none, and always have been. The scum took 7,000 to Lisbon in 1967, Rangers took more than 20,000 to Barcelona in 1972, at a time when foreign travel for the ordinary Joe in the street was still relatively rare. Manchester took it to a whole new level and the city never knew what hit it.

27000 in Munich. Even Der Kaiser was amazed.

Reactions: ao2
how many was there for a friendly against RB leipzig, in winter. German commentators have mentioned it a few times.

There’s been some exaggerated numbers thrown about for that, I think the eventual number was around 5,000.

27000 in Munich. Even Der Kaiser was amazed.

I'm never sure what the crowd was for the game in 1972. Some books say 24,000, others 45,000 and most 35,000. One thing is for sure, almost all of those at the game were Bears!

The game you mention was the one in 1999?

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The 19th Century Terrorists can only dream of ever having a support 1/4 the size of ours

We Are The People, and don’t ever let them forget it

I remember hearing at the time that it was the biggest travelling support in the history of world sport, not just football. Not sure how accurate that is though.

Seen a picture on Twitter of Man City's away support in Ukraine the other night. Must have been about 50 of them and a Man City supporters defence was "show me a club that can do better travelling to a war torn country in the middle of the week."

Where to start..... :))

Sounds like his 'what did the Romans ever do for us moment'! :D

FBS

The evidence of the huge amount of Rangers supporters is there for all to see in photographs taken widely around the city.
There doesn't seem to be the equivalent evidence for The Filth's presence in Seville.
Something that never gets questioned in the press.
Funny that.

Our accommodation was on the outskirts of Bolton, nearest we could get. On the morning of the final we jumped into a taxi to Manchester, glorious day and all the windows were down, as we entered the centre there was a loud droning noise and we asked the driver what it was. “That’s your boys”.

My mate had to get a taxi out of the city centre to get a carry out. The only thing he could get was woodpecker cider.

It was the biggest mobilisation of people in Europe in one day since the Dunkirk evacuations.

Quite staggering and unbelievable, can't wait to do it again lol

Me and the wife flew from Canberra just to be in Manchester as we'd no tickets. We changed planes in Dubai and I ended up sitting beside a Scottish girl who was teaching in Dubai. She had 4 tickets for herself and family.

We also met a guy with his 10 year old son who had flown from NZ to Sydney to Bankok to Dubai to Glasgow to Manchester. He took a week off work and had to fly straight back to make it in time. Incredible.

The nearest accommodation we could get was in Preston, very lucky to be on the last train out to Blackpool afterwards.
I’m sure I read somewhere that the police unofficially estimated the number of Bears in the city by late afternoon as 370,000.

Agree with the estimates of 250,000 ,that’s what was reported at the time

There were thousands in Blackpool too wasn’t there ?

One they missed off the list is the visit of 70,000 Corinthians fans to the Maracana to play Fluminense on a Wednesday afternoon in the Brazilian cup in 1976.Became known as the “invasao” due to the incredible influx of opposition fans into Rio

Still look back on that day with pride.

Same here proud to have been part of it and I'm sure we all have so many tales to tell, was in a queue of traffic on the m6 on the way down the night before that came to a halt, everyone was out ot their motors to see what was happening .

Back