Rangers take Elite to court

People are free to make up their own minds mate, I literally can’t force people to agree & I’m also acutely aware of how careful I need to be

My last post was as clear as it needed to be

I’ll ask you something mate, do you think Rangers would take Elite to court IF they intended on paying? Then suddenly get to court & Elite say ‘Em Aye we were gonna pay Mr Rangers?’

If you had a business which had a great working relationship with a retailer would you release a statement saying ‘You hope’ they would pay now (I think that alone tells you everything)

I don’t want to squabble with anyone either, so it’s up to you to decide

Mate, I completely understand your points I really do, and had I not been in the position I’m in, I’d probably be right behind you and calling to boycott too.
However, as I’ve said, I don’t presume to understand the ins and outs of business, contracts or business relationships.
All I have to go on is what I’ve been told, which in this instance contradicts what you’ve been told and what many others believe.
And I’m putting that info out there to give everyone the opportunity, as you say, to decide on their own.
I’m not daft, I know it’s pretty damning, and does not look good. But as I said, I’m just trying to take what I know and apply it to the situation, and come up with a logical conclusion.

Nothing new in this that changes anything from the previous thread.

Elite were withholding for fear of breaking the injunction, as SDI were claiming that Rangers receiving money from Elite wasn’t allowed under the injuction. Court ruled that Elite paying paying Rangers wasn’t against the injunction, and payment could be made.

Now, obviously Elite withholding payment is a breach of the Rangers/Elite/Hummel contract. (Even if it was done for the right reasons, eg. to stop Rangers getting in bother for breach of the injuction) and as I said before, a bit of guesswork on my part, but I’d assume two companies simply can’t pay each other £2.8m. A bit of due process is required, there fore, as it’s technically a breach of contract, Rangers are taking Elite to court. Exactly as our statement says, for breaching the Rangers/Elite/Hummel contract

I did presume this would happen at the start and said as far as my knowledge goes, Elite have the money and will pay willingly. That is still my understanding.

Until Elite refuse to pay or try to fight this in court, then I’ll concede my defence of them.

However, I’m sorry ID10, no disrespect as a I know your info is normally spot on, but if your previous posts, suggesting we should boycott and Elite are bad guys, aswell as today’s “I told you so” posts, were all in-fact based solely on your knowledge that Rangers planned to sue Elite for this money. Then you are way off with this one. Unless you have proof Elite intend not to pay, then I still maintain your scaremongering and vague rumour starting was unjust. As even, I, someone who is putting up a defence of Elite and opposing your view, fore saw that Rangers would probably need to take Elite to court.

Iain you are miles off on this.

The whole merchandise saga has been disaster after disaster. I can't believe we are still having problems with this. The whole thing is down to Ashley and his horrendous deal that we are tied into.

Still find it weird that if Elite were being cunts Rangers wouldn't get the word out there to friendly channels unofficially, like they do on many occasions.

And I don't mean one ambiguous word in a statement.

We really have amateurs at board level running our Club it’s a fucking shambles there out there depth. I thank Dave King for everything he done rescuing the club from spivs.

History repeating?

2006 Rangers sign deal with JJB Sports
2007 Chris Ronnie (friend of Mike Ashley) buys Dave Whelan's shares.
2009 JJB Sports in trouble. Ashley buys Chris Ronnie's shares. Ronnie under investigation for fraud.
2012 JJB Sports go into administration.

'Lacklustre management'

From Mr Whelan's point of view, he has publicly blamed the various bosses who have led JJB since he left the company.

Bryan Roberts, retail insight director at Kantar Retail, agrees with him.

Mr Roberts said: "Since Mr Whelan departed, the company has been run into the ground by lacklustre management teams.

"It has been out muscled by Sports Direct, and has had to borrow money from its shareholders just to stay afloat."

And now, after administrators were appointed at JJB, Sports Direct has acquired 20 of its stores, the brand and the website.

The remaining stores will be closed, leading to about 2,200 workers losing their jobs.

Mate, I completely understand your points I really do, and had I not been in the position I’m in, I’d probably be right behind you and calling to boycott too.
However, as I’ve said, I don’t presume to understand the ins and outs of business, contracts or business relationships.
All I have to go on is what I’ve been told, which in this instance contradicts what you’ve been told and what many others believe.
And I’m putting that info out there to give everyone the opportunity, as you say, to decide on their own.
I’m not daft, I know it’s pretty damning, and does not look good. But as I said, I’m just trying to take what I know and apply it to the situation, and come up with a logical conclusion.
You surely can't believe what you have just typed?

You surely can't believe what you have just typed?
What am I not supposed to believe? That I’m telling other people information that I have been told, that contradicts what others are saying? Not sure why I shouldn’t believe that.. I have been told information which contradicts the general consensus, and I have told people that.
If you choose to believe the other consensus then that’s up to you mate. As I’ve openly admitted, if I wasn’t in my current situation, I’d be right there with you.

What am I not supposed to believe? That I’m telling other people information that I have been told, that contradicts what others are saying? Not sure why I shouldn’t believe that.. I have been told information which contradicts the general consensus, and I have told people that.
If you choose to believe the other consensus then that’s up to you mate. As I’ve openly admitted, if I wasn’t in my current situation, I’d be right there with you.
The part where a company that wants to pay has so far refused to pay and is going to court.

I’ve never used the word Boycott, let’s be clear mate

I’ve stated facts, if you’ve given money to Elite it’s not getting to the club

So people need to be aware of that

i for one am sick of boycotting, people can make up their own minds

what I want is a solution & Rangers get their money

Yeah sorry mate, not meaning to put words in your mouth. I know your careful with what you post.
Only thing I would add, which is the basis of our opposing arguments. Is that the money spent in Elite hasn’t reached Rangers, YET. I’m still hopeful that it will, with little or less (further) fuss.
Anyway, I’ve said my bit, understand people don’t agree, which they are well within their rights to do. All we can do now is wait and see the next bit of info, or hopefully, an outcome which is positive, most importantly for the club.

I’m rather surprised that I got a reply from him, however his reply is far too cryptic.

Two ways of looking at the reply I reckon.

1. Smug and smarmy, think this is bad watch out.
2. I dont actually need to reply here, but I'm going to to give an indication that things aren't as bad as being made out.

The guy didn't need to get himself involved in a Twitter back and forward.

Just my take on it.

Not a lit of it going around, but may well be one for a bit of patience to see what's happening.

Boycott on now until this is paid over.

Agreed.

If the club was happy to trust Elite to pay up they would be encouraging us to buy merch. As there is complete silence then it is easy to interpret this as don’t buy for the time being.

I’ve never used the word Boycott, let’s be clear mate
You haven't, but thats what you have been suggesting and the various replies seem to be taking that suggestion as fact. I have no idea what's happening but you're playing with half information, for whatever reason, and causing a groundswell of opinion, without actually saying anything, as well you know, and getting uppity to anyone who might have a differing opinion. Either say what you are implying outright or leave it at that mate, you're doing yourself and others no favours here with the "i never said" stuff.

Edited to add - I always keep an eye on your info, so I'm not trying to give you the hump, just asking you to be upfront one way or the other.

Yeah sorry mate, not meaning to put words in your mouth. I know your careful with what you post.
Only thing I would add, which is the basis of our opposing arguments. Is that the money spent in Elite hasn’t reached Rangers, YET. I’m still hopeful that it will, with little or less (further) fuss.
Anyway, I’ve said my bit, understand people don’t agree, which they are well within their rights to do. All we can do now is wait and see the next bit of info, or hopefully, an outcome which is positive, most importantly for the club.

It may seem like it, but the two of you are really just saying the same thing in a different way.

ID10 explaining that we are not getting the money from Elite currently. Which you aren't disputing?

You are disputing that we will get the money? But that doesn't change that we know full well Rangers are due a sum.

I dont see ID10 calling for any sort of boycott, nor do I see you providing any clarity on us getting money currently. ID10 hasn't been told anything, or hiding behind claims, he is just laying out the facts.

No offense Iain but you are making an awful lot of noise in the thread but not making much of a sound.

Two ways of looking at the reply I reckon.

1. Smug and smarmy, think this is bad watch out.
2. I dont actually need to reply here, but I'm going to to give an indication that things aren't as bad as being made out.

The guy didn't need to get himself involved in a Twitter back and forward.

Just my take on it.

Not a lit of it going around, but may well be one for a bit of patience to see what's happening.

for whatever reason I think it’s number 2. Nothing but a gut feeling to back that up. None of this makes any sense.

Is there anything in the retail agreement saying that if the retail partner goes bump then all contracts are ripped up and we are free. Wishful thinking on my part I think.

for whatever reason I think it’s number 2. Nothing but a gut feeling to back that up. None of this makes any sense.

Is there anything in the retail agreement saying that if the retail partner goes bump then all contracts are ripped up and we are free. Wishful thinking on my part I think.

Same chief, probably come back to bite me on the arse, but my feel from reading it was more optimistic than thinking it read as a defiant reply.

And the merchandise fiasco rolls on and on into a new decade! More court dates, lost money for the club and on and on. Will it ever end this? F.ucking sick to death with it.

Maybe with Elite. That still leaves you know who.

See with how long it’s taking and the mounting cost , we should have took the hit for the 7 year to get out the Ashley deal and then walked away to do whatever we liked. We would only be two and a half years away from the end of the 7 from when King and 3 bears saved us. Where as current fiasco could run on for another 2-3 years at least

It may seem like it, but the two of you are really just saying the same thing in a different way.

ID10 explaining that we are not getting the money from Elite currently. Which you aren't disputing?

You are disputing that we will get the money? But that doesn't change that we know full well Rangers are due a sum.

I dont see ID10 calling for any sort of boycott, nor do I see you providing any clarity on us getting money currently. ID10 hasn't been told anything, or hiding behind claims, he is just laying out the facts.

No offense Iain but you are making an awful lot of noise in the thread but not making much of a sound.

I think he has made his point quite clear over the thread, being that he believes Elite will not defend themselves in court against Rangers, and pay up as a result.
The only reason they are going through court is to not go against sports direct.

For what it's worth I believe @Iain1872 has been quite reasonable, and has said it's only what he's heard, which is fair enough. Clearly not looking for a squabble, and neither am I.

Elite can’t just choose to go into admin, they need to prove insolvency and not they forced out otherwise the corporate directors are off to jail if this is planned. It’s bad, but I suspect for the first time not some MA master plan.
And wouldn't the Club be the main creditor?

The tweet reply to me insinuates that they aren’t the bad guys. Probably scared in case they get taken to court by SD. I know they have ex members of SD on their board but who’s to say they left on good terms. For all we know they probably hate him as much as we do.

Just to play devils advocate here, I worked for SD for almost 8 years by virtue of them buying out the company that I worked at. My CV will say I worked there at a high level but I have nothing but bad feelings towards them. So just because someone used to work there doesn't mean they personally are still in bed with them. Anyone I know that left, did so because it's not a nice place to work if you are not part of the inner sanctum.

What I will say is I have checked companies house for some details that I won't divulge publicly, but I can say that at this moment in time there is no holding company set up for Elite as part of SD umbrella. Obv this might change but at this moment I can't see Elite in the 502 registrations!

I do feel sick that I've spent so much money to support the club and it might end up with MA. As since I was made redundant I've not set foot in any of his stores and never will out of principle. I actually dislike him so much I had his face on a piñata at my 30th birthday party! It got a lot of attention!

I just hope this can be resolved as it's descending into farce (again!)

As a first step we should rewuest via the Judge at the first hearing that the money in question/dispute be put in an “escrow” account.

Unlikely but should at least raise the issue that Elite could possibly go into liquidation.

I think essentially our points differ on the stance of Elite. ID10 has, in a previous thread, said he has been told info, and intimated that Elite are not friends of Rangers and has (again without putting words in ID10’s mouth as I can’t be bothered looking up the exact quote) vaguely suggested Ashley is involved with Elite.
My stance, due to what I’ve been told, is that Elite aren’t involved with Ashley, and aren’t “bad guys”. That’s really the long and short of it.
Only time will tell who is right.

History repeating?

2006 Rangers sign deal with JJB Sports
2007 Chris Ronnie (friend of Mike Ashley) buys Dave Whelan's shares.
2009 JJB Sports in trouble. Ashley buys Chris Ronnie's shares. Ronnie under investigation for fraud.
2012 JJB Sports go into administration.

'Lacklustre management'

From Mr Whelan's point of view, he has publicly blamed the various bosses who have led JJB since he left the company.

Bryan Roberts, retail insight director at Kantar Retail, agrees with him.

Mr Roberts said: "Since Mr Whelan departed, the company has been run into the ground by lacklustre management teams.

"It has been out muscled by Sports Direct, and has had to borrow money from its shareholders just to stay afloat."

And now, after administrators were appointed at JJB, Sports Direct has acquired 20 of its stores, the brand and the website.

The remaining stores will be closed, leading to about 2,200 workers losing their jobs.
You missed out Ronnoe being jailed also

See with how long it’s taking and the mounting cost , we should have took the hit for the 7 year to get out the Ashley deal and then walked away to do whatever we liked. We would only be two and a half years away from the end of the 7 from when King and 3 bears saved us. Where as current fiasco could run on for another 2-3 years at least
Probably had a matching clause at the end of that too. I've got to assume the worst of the fat prick.

You haven't, but thats what you have been suggesting and the various replies seem to be taking that suggestion as fact. I have no idea what's happening but you're playing with half information, for whatever reason, and causing a groundswell of opinion, without actually saying anything, as well you know, and getting uppity to anyone who might have a differing opinion. Either say what you are implying outright or leave it at that mate, you're doing yourself and others no favours here with the "i never said" stuff.

Edited to add - I always keep an eye on your info, so I'm not trying to give you the hump, just asking you to be upfront one way or the other.
The reality is that because of close connections to the club @ID10 Is restricted to some extent on what he can say in case it rebounds on the club as a breach of a legal agreement.
However it is clear to any right thinking person that the implication is that the club is not happy with the behavior of Elite and believes the company has breached the contract for no good reason.
If the club was confident that elite was going to comply, then it would not be going into court to force a partner to hand over money.
I don’t understand how anyone can think there is any degree of ambiguity as the club’s actions are completely clear.

Back