Rangers. The War Years Titles.

George Goudie

Official Ticketer
Yes. I know. As we have debated countless times, Rangers do not include the 'War Years' titles that were won in our total trophy tally.

I've posted this short video several times on various threads as I love what wee Doddie says at the end. It's only 4 minutes long but what he says almost reduces me to tears (when I think of Sandy who appears throughout). You have to watch the whole video to get a feel for it but listen to the end:

The reason I'm posting it again in relation to these discounted titles is as follows:

Sandy Jardine was the greatest ever ambassador for the club. He loved meeting new and prospective players and explaining to them all what it means to be a Ranger. He would pick them up at the airport and drive them to Ibrox and captivate them with colourful stories from our wonderful history.

He also loved taking guests in to the Trophy Room and could describe every cup, pennant, picture and award. He also reiterated (I know this from what I've read and also I've been really fortunate to have personally experienced) what he states on the video "You know Rangers don't include the titles they won during the war years!"

He usually always prefaced that by saying, "Some people say these don't count!" and it made me feel that he thought they did.

Whilst I used to be of the opinion that Rangers were correct to discount them, I've latterly (exacerbated by our illegal expulsion from the top flight) wondered what the great man Sandy Jardine really felt about these titles.

Perhaps given all that has gone on, we should be included them in our Honours List? I expect a deluge of disagreement to this and will listen and be swayed to solid reasoning should you believe otherwise.

There are a number of things to consider first though.

These years were full Seasons. There was Full participation.

Aberdeen and Hibs quote their honours as official during this period - Rangers don't, why? Not surely because we are Better Than Them. That goes without saying.

However celtc include their WW1 titles. Yet seven full leagues were played during WWII.

There seems no justification for these other clubs including honours and ours not standing, as well as Celtic including theirs for WW1.

As well as winning 7 titles we also won 5 cups, 4 league cups and a war cup so in total we are excluding 12 trophies in total!

I'll balance the above with the Rangers FC article on my next post for the Clubs official stance.

Just feel it might merit a fresh debate or even a poll?

THE WAR YEARS

WARTIME football was described as unofficial following the suspension of the Scottish League but it was a dominant period for Rangers.

Although constricted like many other clubs, they still had a fantastic team and won seven out of seven Southern League Championships.

They also won four Southeren League Cups – the predecessor to the current League Cup – they lifted the Glasgow Cup seven times and the Charity Cup six times.

There were other successes too like the Summer Cup, the Scottish Emergency War Cup in 1940 and the Victory Cup in 1946.

Of course Rangers players were involved in active service during the War and none more so than Willie Thornton who won the Military Medal for his efforts for the Army in Sicily.

Other Rangers to fight for their country were Davie Kinnear, Tom McKillop, James Galloway, Ian McPherson, Chis McNee, Eddie Rutherford, Billy Williamson, Alastair McKillop, David Marshall, Willie Paton and Jimmy Parlane (father of Derek).

The unfortunate aspect of the war years was that the careers of greats like Jerry Dawson, Dougie Gray and Jimmy Smith were effectively over when peacetime resumed.

Gray would be the all-time Rangers appearance holder but his 385 appearances during the war are unofficial. Simiarly Smith scored over 100 goals during this period but, again, they were not official.

There were some strange and wonderful results, not least Rangers 8, Celtic 1 on January 1, 1943.

Before the league was started up again, there was a special match at Ibrox in November 1945 when Moscow Dynamo came to Ibrox as part of a British tour which included matches against Arsenal, Chelsea and Cardiff City.

A massive 95,000 crowd watched the game – which was played midweek in the afternoon – with Torry Gillick and a George Young penalty securing a 2-2 with the Russians.

Apparently it wasn’t an official competition and more of a past time to keep morale up. Not sure how much truth is in that.

Celtic are a pathetic club that will count anything they can to try get a wee bit closer to us, they have an inferiority complex beyond belief.

I would like to think we wouldn’t count these titles ever as a mark of respect for the people that lost their lives during the war.

It think is up to the clubs to decide what they count in WW2 since all official football was suspended

1917-18 is one our 54 titles since League football deemed official in Scotland during WW1

Yes. I know. As we have debated countless times, Rangers do not include the 'War Years' titles that were won in our total trophy tally.

I've posted this short video several times on various threads as I love what wee Doddie says at the end. It's only 4 minutes long but what he says almost reduces me to tears (when I think of Sandy who appears throughout). You have to watch the whole video to get a feel for it but listen to the end:

The reason I'm posting it again in relation to these discounted titles is as follows:

Sandy Jardine was the greatest ever ambassador for the club. He loved meeting new and prospective players and explaining to them all what it means to be a Ranger. He would pick them up at the airport and drive them to Ibrox and captivate them with colourful stories from our wonderful history.

He also loved taking guests in to the Trophy Room and could describe every cup, pennant, picture and award. He also reiterated (I know this from what I've read and also I've been really fortunate to have personally experienced) what he states on the video "You know Rangers don't include the titles they won during the war years!"

He usually always prefaced that by saying, "Some people say these don't count!" and it made me feel that he thought they did.

Whilst I used to be of the opinion that Rangers were correct to discount them, I've latterly (exacerbated by our illegal expulsion from the top flight) wondered what the great man Sandy Jardine really felt about these titles.

Perhaps given all that has gone on, we should be included them in our Honours List? I expect a deluge of disagreement to this and will listen and be swayed to solid reasoning should you believe otherwise.

There are a number of things to consider first though.

These years were full Seasons. There was Full participation.

Aberdeen and Hibs quote their honours as official during this period - Rangers don't, why? Not surely because we are Better Than Them. That goes without saying.

However celtc include their WW1 titles. Yet seven full leagues were played during WWII.

There seems no justification for these other clubs including honours and ours not standing, as well as Celtic including theirs for WW1.

As well as winning 7 titles we also won 5 cups, 4 league cups and a war cup so in total we are excluding 12 trophies in total!

I'll balance the above with the Rangers FC article on my next post for the Clubs official stance.

Just feel it might merit a fresh debate or even a poll?

I believe we should count them.

What does fill me with huge amusement is that when we tally up the league totals between ourselves and the Filth where both clubs were allowed to compete in the same league division, then their titles are somewhat hollowed out whilst ours become outrageously superior.

Just something to muse on. :D

If we had only won 4 or 5 and other clubs shared out the others you can bet they would have counted.
A couple of phrases muttered just a couple of years ago about the one horse race was you can only beat who is front of you and it's not sellicks fault theres no competition.
Same rules should apply to the Rangers team from that era, they played the games, scored the goals and won the leagues.

At the risk of starting a new argument, we won the best league in Scotland 7 times, they should count.

I agree. The question is I suppose, should we be asking the Club to no longer list them as unofficial, or should the other clubs be forced to remove their Honours during war years?

Strip celtc and Aberdeen and Hibs of their titles and have them rendered UN-OFFICIAL?

61 and Counting!

Edit: Honestly @bilkobear I posted the above before I read yours lol.

If we had only won 4 or 5 and other clubs shared out the others you can bet they would have counted.
A couple of phrases muttered just a couple of years ago about the one horse race was you can only beat who is front of you and it's not sellicks fault theres no competition.
Same rules should apply to the Rangers team from that era, they played the games, scored the goals and won the leagues.

It would sadly knock Super Ally of his perch. He's still a legend for his footballing achievements with Rangers. But my goodness, so is Dougie Gray! Over 380 appearances and he is un-official? No. Not for me.

Last edited:
Why do we not count these titles?

It seemed like the dignified thing to do. At the time maybe Scottish Football was a place of honour and dignity.

It's sadly no longer a shadow of itself. Therefore, we should start a campaign to have them included in our trophy haul.

61 & Fucking Counting Scotland. What do you think of thems eggs?

It seemed like the dignified thing to do. At the time maybe Scottish Football was a place of honour and dignity.

It's sadly no longer a shadow of itself. Therefore, we should start a campaign to have them included in our trophy haul.

61 & Fucking Counting Scotland. What did you think of thems eggs?
Its been a while since scottish football was a place of honour and dignity!

Wasn't there a thread about this on the old forum ?
If I remember correctly ( not something I'm always good at) the debate revolved around the scum not counting their 8-1 defeat to us in their historical records because it was during the war years - yet still counting the 1 in their all time goals scored official record

Apparently it wasn’t an official competition and more of a past time to keep morale up. Not sure how much truth is in that.

Celtic are a pathetic club that will count anything they can to try get a wee bit closer to us, they have an inferiority complex beyond belief.

I would like to think we wouldn’t count these titles ever as a mark of respect for the people that lost their lives during the war.
The same could be said for the competitions during WW1.

I don't know the actual numbers, but I have a suspicion that more young men had to leave the UK during WW1 than in WW2.
Certainly, casualties were far heavier in the first war.
The second war had far more technical requirements and thus more men stayed put in reserved occupations.

Sporting competition in both wars served to maintain morale at home.
A sporting competition is a sporting competition.

The same could be said for the competitions during WW1.

I don't know the actual numbers, but I have a suspicion that more young men had to leave the UK during WW1 than in WW2.
Certainly, casualties were far heavier in the first war.
The second war had far more technical requirements and thus more men stayed put in reserved occupations.

Sporting competition in both wars served to maintain morale at home.
A sporting competition is a sporting competition.

I think the competition remained official during WW1. I’m not sure to be honest but I did read about it a while ago.

I agree either both should be official or unofficial but as I said we aren’t here to point score and to try and rewrite history for a few titles is disrespectful in my opinion. We are above that.

We didn't set the rules for the football played in both World Wars.

Celtic are rightly entitled to their 3 league titles in the First World War, as are we for the 1917-18 Championship. Scottish football was not suspended and it continued in its normal format (which did lead to much controversy).

In the Second World War all national football was suspended and replaced by regional divisions. As much as they may have been competitive in their own way, they are not Scottish League Championships and for that over-riding reason they cannot be added to the 54 national titles on the club's roll of honour.

I think the competition remained official during WW1. I’m not sure to be honest but I did read about it a while ago.

I agree either both should be official or unofficial but as I said we aren’t here to point score and to try and rewrite history for a few titles is disrespectful in my opinion. We are above that.

Nonsense. It's respectful to acknowledge the heroes that fought for the Rangers Jersey during some terrible and harsh years.

It's the opposite of what you say.

It's a mark of dignified respect.

We didn't set the rules for the football played in both World Wars.

Celtic are rightly entitled to their 3 league titles in the First World War, as are we for the 1917-18 Championship. Scottish football was not suspended and it continued in its normal format (which did lead to much controversy).

In the Second World War all national football was suspended and replaced by regional divisions. As much as they may have been competitive in their own way, they are not Scottish League Championships and for that over-riding reason they cannot be added to the 54 national titles on the club's roll of honour.

Great heresay.

I've posted facts. So has the Rangers stance which is:

Considered unofficial.

Sandy reiterated ALWAYS that this was 'by some'.... we could have 61 titles with some astrixes.... (Some consider Unnoficial) :)

Don't want to come across as crass, I get it there was a war on which affected millions of people but life for many went on as normal as it could. People went to work in the normal jobs that kept the country ticking over including the entertainment industry. Are we to regard everything that happened between 1939 and 1945 as unofficial except the War itself?

Nonsense. It's respectful to ask the heroes that fought for the Rangers Jersey during some terrible and harsh years.

It's the opposite of what you say.

It's a mark of dignified respect.

So we haven’t counted these titles for what 60/70 years but now because we are shite and have nothing else to celebrate we should add them to our tally?

To add them we are rewriting history and that certainly is not a mark of respect. Football is nothing when people were losing their lives on a daily basis.

So we haven’t counted these titles for what 60/70 years but now because we are shite and have nothing else to celebrated we should add them to our tally?

To add them we are rewriting history and that certainly is not a mark of respect. Football is nothing when people were losing their lives on a daily basis.

Read @Ever Ready post above yours mate. Addresses your concerns. Worry ye not though young man - NO OTHER CLUB in football Honours the fallen more than our club.

It is not a case of re-writing history to suit a particular hobby horse.

The Scottish League Championships from 1914-18 to 1917-18 are OFFICIAL those of seasons 1939-40 to 1944-45 are UNOFFICIAL (in the sense of being regional not national). Both decisions made and accepted by those responsible at the time.

So we haven’t counted these titles for what 60/70 years but now because we are shite and have nothing else to celebrate we should add them to our tally?

This is not "because we are shite" I've thought we should count them for more than a decade.
I don't think it's disrespectful at all, it happened and those players deserve the recognition.

It is not a case of re-writing history to suit a particular hobby horse.

The Scottish League Championships from 1914-18 to 1917-18 are OFFICIAL those of seasons 1939-40 to 1944-45 are UNOFFICIAL. Both decisions made and accepted by those responsible at the time.

Ok. I'll explain again. We include our unofficial titles my friend. This is the point made in the OP. Others HAVE. ;)

This is not "because we are shite" I've thought we should count them for more than a decade.
I don't think it's disrespectful at all, it happened and those players deserve the recognition.

Imagine coming on to a thread like this and saying 'just because we are shite!' as a counter argument lol. It's a slightly weak counterpoint :)

As rangerista said, it was decided at the time that the league was suspended. The titles are unofficial and that’s the end of it. We recognise them and remember them but you can’t just start adding titles

When we win 55 this year this thread will be forgotten ;)

How much do you want to bet that our Rangers Supporting children's children (when 55 is part of our history) will be grateful to us - for campaigning to have these titles included in our total?

:)

Edit: like your edit lol. :)

Last edited:

So it’s ok for Celtic hibs and aberdeen to count there success in those years ?

Fair enough, but the unofficial tag doesn't sit right with me. I'd still like them to be recorded as part of our honours, under a separate title.

Would maybe be nice for the club to celebrate it in some way. I’m not saying they don’t deserve to be recognised but unfortunately we can’t count the titles or achievements With regard to club honours

Back