Rangers to sign Charlie McCann (Daily Record)

I don’t want to be negative and do trust our management team but I just don’t understating this signing at all. He is going to struggle to get game time with a number of midfielders already ahead of him - Davis, Arfield, Jack, Kamara, lundstram, Aribo, even Kelly and Ofoborh are still at the club.

We needed one quality midfielder who can help push us on to the next level in Europe and not a young, inexperienced albeit promising player.

I don’t want to be negative and do trust our management team but I just don’t understating this signing at all. He is going to struggle to get game time with a number of midfielders already ahead of him - Davis, Arfield, Jack, Kamara, lundstram, Aribo, even Kelly and Ofoborh are still at the club.

We needed one quality midfielder who can help push us on to the next level in Europe and not a young, inexperienced albeit promising player.
One word that is behind most of these types of signings - potential. Now, I fully understand those who point to our past record with these types of signings and don't see much success.

Also, I do get the impression our recruitment team sometimes can't see past a perceived bargain.

we should always be hoovering up the best talent when we can, hes 19, ats not like hes expected to come in and play 50games

Definitely agree with this part, time will tell on the rest of your post, mate.

You have to remember as well, 6 months with Rangers B will let him understand our shape and what he is expected to do in/without the ball.

He will need that to prepare himself for first team football at Rangers.

I think people forget the level Davis, Kamara, Jack etc are playing at. You can't come from EPL U23 football and be anywhere near that level. Indeed I would expect Stephen Kelly to be ahead of him in terms of being prepared for mens football.

You have to remember as well, 6 months with Rangers B will let him understand our shape and what he is expected to do in/without the ball.

I think people forget the level Davis, Kamara, Jack etc are playing at. You can't come from EPL U23 football and be anywhere near that level. Indeed I would expect Stephen Kelly to be ahead of him in terms of being prepared for mens football.

that would depend on the player surely?

that would depend on the player surely?
I think you could be wonderfully talented but these guys have been playing title challenging and Europa League football for what, 3 years running?

You need to be very polished, experienced to be mixing it with these guys.

Even in training it would be a tough school.

I see no harm McCann starting in the B team who have some super talents like Lindsay, Strachan, MacKinnon who play like the first team central midfielders.

One word that is behind most of these types of signings - potential. Now, I fully understand those who point to our past record with these types of signings and don't see much success.

Also, I do get the impression our recruitment team sometimes can't see past a perceived bargain.
I wouldn't be surprised if we did not spend any money directly on fees this summer. Almost every club has had to reign in spending/tighten belts.

we should always be hoovering up the best talent when we can, hes 19, ats not like hes expected to come in and play 50games

I'm not sure I agree with this mate.

We always need to be looking to improve but we also need to balance this desire for improvement against the need to be aware of the budget and resources that we have available rather than just stockpiling players because we want to improve.

I have a feeling people are going to be surprised at how often we make signings with a similar look to this one.

Part of the business model to developing players, buying low and selling high may well involve developing potential but with minimal game time at Rangers. Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and other clubs are excelling at this.

I'm not saying that is the case here but it looks like a possibility. It's only possible when you build a reputation for coaching excellence and smart loans. The club becomes a finishing school for players on the edge of a breakthrough.

Ofoborh will not play for us this season I don't think, if ever.

I'm not sure I agree with this mate.

We always need to be looking to improve but we also need to balance this desire for improvement against the need to be aware of the budget and resources that we have available rather than just stockpiling players because we want to improve.

I dont mean stockpiling players ala chelsea
But if a talent is available and we think we can make them a first teamer we should 100% be hoovering them up.

this is where we find the next Kamara, cutting out the middle man

Can I book an online appointment please. Just want a psychic ECG, a clairvoyant echo cardiogram and a pulling stuff out your backside thallium stress test.

See your point, but at some stage Kamara and Aribo are bound to go, Davis and Arfield aren't getting any younger and Jack's long term fitness must be in doubt. Planning for 2-3 years down the line, which I think this signing is, will be vital for our future progression.

It wasn't too long ago that EPL U23 represented a step up for us :eek:

Thank feck for the board and Gerrard.

I'm guessing the heart issue.
That doesn't answer the question.
The lad will be examined and if need be treated.
Many footballers have had heart issues detected in the past.
Usually, they are minor or can be corrected.
Most then go onto have fine careers.
The post is made as if to claim that the poster had some authority of understanding over this matter and I am asking him to basically expand.
Even an opinion has to have a basis.
What is the basis of the opinion?

Wait until he sees the state of the pitch we are going to ask him to play on for the B team. We will certainly see his ability to control a ball

Same agents as Ofoborh is what I seen. Have to say though from clips I don’t see any player parallels with these two young players .

Good signing for the future by all accounts. Hopefully see him as a big standout it in the B team for a season or 2 then get into the first team.

Just shows how important the B team can become if we can get them into the league structure.

Getting promising young lads in, giving them the benefits of our training/coaching/nutrition, whilst also getting them men’s football will make a huge difference to our ability to bring players into the first team.

You could argue that we could sign players and loan them, but then they’re potentially moving away from Glasgow for a spell and we’ve seen the issues that can cause with homesickness etc, at least this way we can set them up in a flat with housemates etc.

It really is the best of both worlds and I’m really excited and hopeful to see how it develops.

Hes going to face the same problems our home grown midfielders do, whos he going to replace in the XI? Never going to play this season, difficult to see him playing next as any of our starters will be replaced by an appropriate signing.

Then again, we took a 21 year old Ryan Kent who'd made one outing for Liverpool against Exeter City on loan, and 12 months later had to pay £7m for him

“There’s no way he’s being signed to play in the Lowland League, not a chance”.

The 19-year-old midfielder joins David McCallum’s B Team as the squad continue to compete in the Lowland League campaign this season.

Charlie will now develop initially in our B Team…

That puts an end to that debate then B-)

The boy would have been advised of his route to Rangers 1st team before signing. Can only assume he is happy with playing in the B team whilst getting the best coaching available each day.

Imagine being a 19 year old midfielder of great potential and coming to Rangers and having midfield mentors like Steven Davis and Stevie Gerrard to learn from. 'I hope young Chas lives the dream with us'.

By the way a signing born in England with an international allegience to ROI must be a real GIRUY to The Tims and those who postulate a sectarian signing myth. If he emulates the skill and dedication of his namesake, Neil McCann when he played for us then 'the future looks bright' ('the future looks orange!').
Exactly. We, as a support, got over this shite three decades or more back.

Meanwhile, over in Glasgow's East End, Greek Ange is given an easy ride because their barely-literate support heard he was Athenian.

Welcome to the greatest Club in the World Charlie !!

For what it's worth I think he'll go into the B squad and possibly feature for the 1st team much later in the season. I can see why we've gone in for him, his passing, vision and work ethic look to be first class. Obviously a few aspects to work on but he's a really good prospect and all being well this will prove to be a shrewd signing.

Nice it has been made official - certainly a highly thought of player. Gerrard played his cards close to his chest when asked about it but clearly it was much further on. Loving our style in doing transfers these days.

Back