Rangers tracking 17 year old Carlisle centre back, Jarrad Branthwaite (Sun)

NDC bear forever

Rangers and Celtic have started tracking £1million-rated Carlisle United defender Jarrad Branthwaite.

SunSport can reveal both Old Firm clubs have begun scouting the highly regarded 6ft 4in English centre-back.

ALAMY

Carlisle United star Jarrad Branthwaite in action against Leyton Orient

Branthwaite, 17, has only just burst onto the scene with the League Two outfit this season.

But the talented teenager has already been tipped for a big career in the game with a number of clubs now monitoring his early progress.

MONEY TALKS Old Firm rivals at opposite ends of profit and loss table

And it’s understood Scotland’s two biggest clubs have joined the queue to watch him in action, with a view to making a swoop in the January transfer window.

Celtic’s director of football, Nick Hammond, is believed to have made a personal visit to see the stopper play last month.

MOST READ IN FOOTBALL

MONEY TALKS Celtic and Rangers at opposite ends of Premiership profit and loss league table
THERE FOR HIM Gerrard insists Rangers will stand by Arfield during tough times off the park

Rangers have also sent one of their top talent-spotters to see the youngster in action.

Branthwaite is currently under contract with Carlisle until the summer of 2021, with the option of a further year.

Meanwhile, Gers right-back Nathan Patterson, 18, looks set to agree a new deal to stay at Ibrox until at least 2022.

This is where I worry that situations like George Edmundson’s goes against us.

Similar type of profile getting minimum game time, I’ve no doubt that big George will still be enjoying life at Rangers but he needs to play games.

I’d like to see us partner with a club at a reasonable level where we can send players on loan for 6-12 months.

Similar type of profile getting minimum game time, I’ve no doubt that big George will still be enjoying life at Rangers but he needs to play games.

I’d like to see us partner with a club at a reasonable level where we can send players on loan for 6-12 months.
If you want to have 4 good players to cover centre back theres always one who is not going to play as much. He will be developing nicely in the background and if we sell a CB at some point he can break through. He will know that too.

Edmundson is a young guy who came into a team with an established centre back in Goldson, a fan favourite Youth international monster in Katic and who then went on to sign an established full international. I’d suggest that Edmundson has actually got *more* game time with us than he’d have expected. It’s also the 2nd of December. It is very likely that the guy will have several more games as injuries and suspensions kick in.

If we got this bloke then, unless he is some absolute prodigy, we will not see him at all this season and maybe only see him a handful of times next year. And that’s what a 17 year old defender expects. In 3 or 4 years then he might be mixing it up for a starting place in the champions league with Katic and Edmundson though.

I'm alway leary of evaluating a players worth on the basis of youtube highlights, but Branthwaite does indeed look like a very promising prospect. But as with the case of Edmundson, Ibrox right now, might not be the best place for young prospects to get the game time they need.

Currently, Rangers are in a neck and neck fight with celtic for primacy in the SPL, and Gerrard cannot - or so it seems - risk fielding a team that isn't comprised of his first choice pool of players. In an ideal situation Rangers would be the dominant team in the SPL, and so could risk fielding their top young talents in cup competitions, or against the lesser SPL teams, knowing that there is still sufficient ability amongst the regular starters to likely win the game.

But this is not yet where we are, and consequently, its going to be a tough ask of the Rangers management to keep all of the promising young talents on the club's books happy.

Outwith the speculation of the new guy, this is fu(kin good news...

Meanwhile, Gers right-back Nathan Patterson, 18, looks set to agree a new deal to stay at Ibrox until at least 2022
I think Polster has looked pretty good whenever he has had a chance but I would let him go in the summer so he can play regularly cause he needs it as his age, and Patterson can be our backup right back next season.

And this goes against us when it comes to keeping players like King

wonder what the thoughts are at the young fellas breakfast table this morning are after seeing this
Will I stay for £2K a week with another blocker in my way or will I take the £8K or more a week with the same issues in England or Europe

Mother pack my suitcase
club must do more to keep these young fellas

Honestly don't get it with people on here. I honestly think they won't be happy until we rotate all 11 players every single game.

George Edmundson has not long turned 22 and stepped up from Oldham to Rangers. I'm pretty sure he's content with his development and contribution so far. Coupled with the fact it's only December.

I think Polster has looked pretty good whenever he has had a chance but I would let him go in the summer so he can play regularly cause he needs it as his age, and Patterson can be our backup right back next season.
Woh!
Woh, woh, feckin woh.
Just a wee minute here.
Think about this, think about it very much,
No Polster, no Mrs Polster.
How does that grab you?

Back