Rangers TV - an honest assessment

relax mate you will have an aneurysm, the service for me is not good, poor pic, lag and buffering, dont get it with any other streaming service, and I have lots, so not a problem my end, people will pay for a service if it meets their needs, no issues, thats the commercial world we live in, if it does not then they wont, its up to the provider to improve their service to meet the needs of their clients, this gets in more subscribers and all costs aside will hopefully improve their bottom line

We've been over all this before but I think you need to start asking yourself why the vast majority of your fellow subscribers in your neck of the woods get a perfectly acceptable RangersTV stream? Some don't, no question. So try and establish why.

So investigate it. Never mind that other services work fine, something is stopping RangersTV from working. Is it only on your home broadband I wonder. Have you tried logging in on your laptop, for example, via someone else's broadband? Have you tried logging into RangersTV on a friends laptop in your home? On their laptop in their home? There is a reason your experience is so bad and to simply lay it at the feet of RangersTV is an easy way out. Try your equipment in another location and then try someone else's equipment in your location and finally someone else's equipment in another location. That would be a good starting point I reckon in ruling out your equipment, your broadband - or both. It might turn out that there's no easy fix - or it might help identify an issue you've hitherto been unaware of. Good Luck if you decide to go for it.

EDIT: If you've done all that already, fair play to you.

Last edited:
Quite suprised at the stick Tom Miller takes on here.

He's unashamedly a Rangers fan and has a fair knowledge of the game and what's going on around Ibrox.

He may use more than a few cliches, but %^*& me, I'd rather listen to him all day long over anyone we get get on Sky, BT or terrestrial TV.

He seems a bit of an easy target for some on here.
If we're going down the professional commentator route, the only guy I'd get to replace Tom, would be Barry Davies (yes, the retired BBC commentator). The best of the best, at football commentary.
But I get that most of the posters on here are likely to be of the younger variety, and would prefer someone who was more "modern".

We've been over all this before but I think you need to start asking yourself why the vast majority of your fellow subscribers in your neck of the woods get a perfectly acceptable RangersTV stream? Some don't, no question. So try and establish why.

So investigate it. Never mind that other services work fine, something is stopping RangersTV from working. Is it only on your home broadband I wonder. Have you tried logging in on your laptop, for example, via someone else's broadband? Have you tried logging into RangersTV on a friends laptop in your home? On their laptop in their home? There is a reason your experience is so bad and to simply lay it at the feet of RangersTV is an easy way out. Try your equipment in another location and then try someone else's equipment in your location and finally someone else's equipment in another location. That would be a good starting point I reckon in ruling out your equipment, your broadband - or both. It might turn out that there's no easy fix - or it might help identify an issue you've hitherto been unaware of. Good Luck if you decide to go for it.

EDIT: If you've done al that already, fair play to you.
thanks mate as Ive said gonna try edge apparently it works much better and can lower the res to suit the feed, at least thats my understanding from a fellow poster

thanks mate as Ive said gonna try edge apparently it works much better and can lower the res to suit the feed, at least thats my understanding from a fellow poster

I find Edge easily the best browser - and certainly, for me at least, adjusting that quality setting makes a huge difference. If it doesn't help though then, I'd suggest, time for some of that trouble-shooting. Plenty on here happy to try and help you though it as best we can.

Last edited:
I guess Tom is like marmite you either love him or hate him. Personally I love his commentary as he is passionate about the club he loves and his insights into the past I find fascinating. Much rather have Tom than many of the others who are commenting. BT sports coverage for a national broadcast is poor and don’t get started on the BBC

I've been with them since the start. Last season I was close to chucking it due to the up and down service but overall the have improved.

It is great value and I enjoy Tom with his guests. I'm not one for watching any other football so my subscription to RTV does me.

just play Tom Miller Bingo:-

Exocet
Yellow ticket
2/1 your money
Ulster Gazelle
wall pass

Feel free to add...

There was a short discussion on 5Live this morning - mainly about cricket - that focussed on how ALL commentators on ALL sports have their own catchphrases - be they intentional or unconscious. I guess for most of us listening to Tom twice a week, month after month, year after year its going to hit harder than most.

Last edited:
I find Edge easily the best browser - and certainly, for me at least, adjusting tat quality setting makes a huge difference. If it doesn't help though then, I'd suggest, time for some of that trouble-shooting. Plenty on here happy to try and help you though it as best we can.
thanks mate really appreciate your posts been very helpful

Tom Miller provides a fan style commentary with some excellent stats, he also brings in his co-commentators really well. Yes he talks a wee bit much for some but I'm watching the game so he fades out a little, where as stinky bheasts like Andy Wanker and Chris Mutton just irritate and spoil the WHOLE game. 90 minutes of utter Rangers hatred.

Some of the guys doing the extra footage have done an excellent Job and a few have came from UWS in Ayr and have brought something different to the whole experience.

Just to add to what a lot of folk on here have already said - if you are having bad experiences with buffering and a shitty picture use a browser (chrome works for me) that has the option shown below:

2zzlwk7.jpg

I select the 648p option and watch it on my big TV and it looks no different to watching a game via sky for me.

I like Tom. He is so knowledgeable about Rangers. The only thing I dont like about RTV is the fact that the video repeats automatically. I would like it to be like YouTube and give you the option of Play All, then you can sit back, relax and enjoy the content and never miss anything.

Just to add to what a lot of folk on here have already said - if you are having bad experiences with buffering and a shitty picture use a browser (chrome works for me) that has the option shown below:

2zzlwk7.jpg

I select the 648p option and watch it on my big TV and it looks no different to watching a game via sky for me.
f uck im dumb never knew chrome had that option will give it a go before I try edge, thanks for the info

Am I the only one on here that actually likes Tom Miller's commentary? I think he covers the games well.

I'll take him over Crocker, Walker, Stewart, Sutton, pube voice McLeod or McNee any day.

Totally agree there should be a studio at Ibrox (home or away) with analysis.
no your not the only one according to the thread many like him as I do, better than the horrendous alternatives

The content the social media team put out is nothing short of sensational

The match day viewing is almost unwatchable due to Tom Commentator. He is absolutely abysmal and talks the biggest load of nonsense

I think he’s great and of a dying breed sadly. We’re lucky to have a really good and clearly hard working media team and some blue blooded, albeit, old-school gers. Lovely human also if you have a chance to chat.

I’ll miss his randomness, when we no doubt sack him off for some templated, generic, media ‘personality’. An acquired taste sure, but he’s not as bad as being made out as.

Tom isn’t the best commentator out there realistically is there anyone else who fits the bill for us? They’d need to be a Rangers fan.

I can just about tolerate it now except from when he regularly speaks over the guest, he’ll ask him a question not wait for the full answer or even acknowledge what they said and start something new.

Am I the only one on here that actually likes Tom Miller's commentary? I think he covers the games well.

I'll take him over Crocker, Walker, Stewart, Sutton, pube voice McLeod or McNee any day.

Totally agree there should be a studio at Ibrox (home or away) with analysis.
I honestly don't understand the negativity against Tom. He's biased for Rangers, as he should be, passionate about the club and the team, clearly loves what he does, and never short of a funny quip or a line. More power to him I say. I really don't know who could come in and replace what he does effectively.

Tom Miller screeching elongated syllables every time we score ruins a lot of content the media team produce.

He and Lovenkrands are both great guys but they have two of the most irritating voices you can find, %^*& knows how they got on commentary duty

His commentary is pretty poor,too much waffling.
If you were blind and listening to him,you wouldn't have a clue as to who had the ball,where they were on the park etc.

I feel bad as he is such a genuine Rangers man, but Tom really is brutal to listen to and has a habit of mixing up the players (sometimes with ones aren’t even playing.) He, for me, is just not very good at commentating and needs phased out and replaced with someone more suited to the role.

Pretty much sums it up. True Rangers man with a great knowledge of our history but a really poor commentator.

Would be good if we could find some new blood.

£12 a pop, people are well within their right to criticise the product.

That’s not a freebie or even an insignificant amount any longer.

It’s time for a freshen up in the commentary. Bring Tom on at Half Time as a filler.

A lot of sky pundits etc start off in club football. We’d be able to attract someone half decent.

When I started out listening to RTV I found it amateurish, but it grew on me and I wont criticise it now. I like Tom and I've come to like his style. He's one of us and he's a font of knowledge, imparts more useful and interesting info than the so called pros at Sky, BT or BBC. Commentating cant be easy in fact it must be feckin difficult but, c'mon, you tune in to watch the game not listen to the commentators account it. Thats incidental.
Rock on Tommy :))

RTV is the best.

A lot of people sticking up for Tom and a lot of people saying they can't stand him - says it all for me.

There should be an option watch the game without commentary and an option to watch with for those who are a fan of Tom.

That way all supporters would be happy.

Surely something like that wouldn't be too difficult to set up? Can't see how it isn't already implemented to be extra critical.

Out of interest, does anyone have issues flicking to full screen if using the browser on a smart tv? When I do it, it goes full screen but zoomed in. Only way I found to get round it was to get the stream on laptop, make it full screen there and connect to tv through a cable to mirror laptop.

There are some right miserable people on here. Are folk genuinely annoyed that the commentator on Rangers TV is too pro Rangers?

Got to be at the wind up.

has anyone stated on the thread that that is the reason they don't like Tom? Generally folk don't like him as his commentary is dreadful, the same lame phrases every week (yellow ticket, no backlift (whether true or not), talks too much etc.)
Nobody is saying he should be impartial.

There is also the usual crowd saying - what's the problem with Tom, would you rather have Andy Walker etc - as if replacing Tom we'd obviously jump to some utter arsehole that hates us. Can we not just have a bit better.

Like several other posts, the 2 key things for me- far more reliable stream, and an option for no commentary, but crowd noise included.

I honestly don't understand the negativity against Tom. He's biased for Rangers, as he should be, passionate about the club and the team, clearly loves what he does, and never short of a funny quip or a line. More power to him I say. I really don't know who could come in and replace what he does effectively.

Totally agree, I think he's great.

Tom isn’t the best commentator out there realistically is there anyone else who fits the bill for us? They’d need to be a Rangers fan.

I can just about tolerate it now except from when he regularly speaks over the guest, he’ll ask him a question not wait for the full answer or even acknowledge what they said and start something new.

Audition people. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, Tom Miller only got the gig about 20 years ago as it was his company the Rangers Radio set up was given to.

I like Tom doing it.

Where I think the programming is let down is in the pre and post match sections including half time.

Get a studio, do a proper pre game build up with a host and ex players. Do the same after with post match interviews. At half time analyse the game.

It’s the production that’s poor.

Having a studio is more cost. It's nice window dressing, but really isn't required.

Even Sky and BT have done away with studio coverage for any game they deem non essential.

Very good value for £5 a month. Well done to all.
Keep it up Tom - cliches, metaphors and all !!

I'm just grateful that nowadays I can see almost every Rangers game no matter where I am. Commentary isn't maybe the best possible, but I've kinda got used to it and now it's weird to watch a Rangers game with any other commentary. Even if it's shown here in Finland with Finnish commentary I stick with Rangers TV.

I think the other content is quite good too. And from what I've seen from other clubs Rangers are obviously one of the better clubs what comes to media- / social media presence.

Back