Rangers TV - an honest assessment

It seems I'm one of the few that like Tom. Does he get paid or is it a volunteer basis?

As for the quality, generally it's been fine at my end- never had any of the technical issues that others seems to have. Except the last game v St Josephs! The stream dipping in & out of HD and various quailties in between. I'll try the tip to switch off the auto setting.

Tom Miller is very clearly a big Rangers fan. He is not and never has been suited to commentating on football matches.
When I first heard him years ago I thought he was doing it for free and that RTV probably needed all the volunteers it could get.
I remember watching him commentate on a game a few years back when Lee McCulloch tried a shot at goal that was so wide it went for a throw in, Tom said something along the lines of “good effort there by Lee”
There have been other times when he has been prattling on about something so genuinely not of interest that he talks over a really important phase of a game. I’ll admit to turning the sound down at times as he makes me fecking mad.
I’d like some honest insight from the commentators not just aimless prattle

On the whole, I think RangersTV is very good. The quality of the content has dramatically increased in the last couple of years. The pre season training coverage has been excellent as have the new matchday story and training videos that have begun this season.

The next big thing for RangersTV is an app for iPhone and Android. The ability to cast to smart TV's would be excellent without the need to hook up a laptop or cast from a browser. The Rangers media team have confirmed recently that they are looking into launching an app, so hopefully that will be in the near future.

Commentary wise, I don't mind Tom. I can understand some of the criticism though. Finding the right balance for commentary teams can be difficult. A lot of TV networks with large budgets have struggled to get the balance right.

Last edited:
All he needs to do is realise that with his analytical comments, less is more. Just tell us who’s on the baw.Then we can talk about other more major problems like the poor performance of ball boys at Ibrox. Far too slow....

Going by the comments on here, I’d say it’s pretty unanimous that we’d like to at least see the commentary style modified if not necessarily the commentator replaced. Over to you RTV!

Quite suprised at the stick Tom Miller takes on here.

He's unashamedly a Rangers fan and has a fair knowledge of the game and what's going on around Ibrox.

He may use more than a few cliches, but %^*& me, I'd rather listen to him all day long over anyone we get get on Sky, BT or terrestrial TV.

He seems a bit of an easy target for some on here.

Have to agree with you. In these days of political correctness - when everything is PR'd to death - his old-school catchphrases and patter are ironically a breath of fresh air. It's the co-commentators that let down the live match day show. Tom has to carry them at the best of times.

There shouldn't be an "aye but..." with Miller to be honest.

Just because Crocker is garbage shouldn't give him a free pass. Miller's commentary is absolutely brutal to listen to, Rangers fan or not. It's not as if he's the only Rangers friendly commentator out there and we're picking from a field of one.

The rest of the RTV product is moving ahead with the times. It's getting slicker, it's getting more professional, it's better and better with each passing season. But for me he's the only black mark on it. He's unlistenable IMO.
Exactly, saying you’d rather listen to Miller than anything on Sky or BT isn’t really the point, his repetitive, dated cliches and inane rambling make for a truly annoying listen

Last edited:
Like a lot of people are saying, for me, the commentator situation is the thing that needs looked at the most.

As RTV in general improves, the matchday experience needs to be slicker and more professional.
Without sentiment, Tom Miller simply needs to be replaced, and the new guys need to broadcast from a Rangers studio.

We also need a proper build-up to games, half-time analysis, and post-match analysis and interviews.
It's simply not good enough to just show prerecorded interviews before the game, old matches at half-time, and then basically go offline as soon as the game ends.

That said, I'm a big fan of RTV in general – I just want it to be the best it can possibly be.

Like a lot of people are saying, for me, the commentator situation is the thing that needs looked at the most.

As RTV in general improves, the matchday experience needs to be slicker and more professional.
Without sentiment, Tom Miller simply needs to be replaced, and the new guys need to broadcast from a Rangers studio.

We also need a proper build-up to games, half-time analysis, and post-match analysis and interviews.
It's simply not good enough to just show prerecorded interviews before the game, old matches at half-time, and then basically go offline as soon as the game ends.

That said, I'm a big fan of RTV in general – I just want it to be the best it can possibly be.

Tom Miller may not be perfect mate, but when you look at the road both Sky and BBC have gone down, with some clueless tarts joining the commentary and summarising teams, be careful what you wish for.

I am in the minority but I like toms enthusiasasm,when I am watching our games on rtv I want a totally biased commentary and someone who goes bananas when we score.very often he spots a tactical change before his co commentator

The co-commentator is my biggest gripe.

Let’s get one who is good and can do it every week. Stevie Smith would be my shout. He knows his stuff and sounds good alongside Tom.

Lovenkrands, Hugh Burns, Andy Little and the likes aren’t in the same league.

Another in the Tom camp. Sure there will be better out there but would sooner listen to him than anyone on BT/Sky or any other provider.

... and the new guys need to broadcast from a Rangers studio.

Why do we need a studio? We had it years ago and it wasn’t particularly worthwhile.

I’d rather enjoy old matches at half-time than have more punditry - it also markets what is available on RTV.

How much analysis do we need?

I also don’t mind Tom. I think he’s still thinks he’s commentating to expats in the pub. I quite like nostalgia of it. Of more importance is the co-commentator.

I am in the minority but I like toms enthusiasasm,when I am watching our games on rtv I want a totally biased commentary and someone who goes bananas when we score.very often he spots a tactical change before his co commentator

Not so sure you are in the minority mate.

I made similar comment to yourself and it's been "likèd" by a good few.

Well split opinion.

Why do we need a studio? We had it years ago and it wasn’t particularly worthwhile.

I’d rather enjoy old matches at half-time than have more punditry - it also markets what is available on RTV.

How much analysis do we need?

I also don’t mind Tom. I think he’s still thinks he’s commentating to expats in the pub. I quite like nostalgia of it. Of more importance is the co-commentator.

Yeh half time is for taking a piss, making lunch or a cup of tea or a fresh beer. The analysis adds nothing although it’s good to see the goals again. Interviews after the match are required though rather than straight off air

The website is absolutely terrible especially since you have to click “search” to view the recent videos. When you sign in it should prompt you to the most recently released videos. This could confuse newer customers.

I recently purchased the Unlimited subscription and I have to say I am mostly dissatisfied.

Firstly, the whole layout is broken. There isn't a "latest" playlist so to check the latest videos you have to click search on an empty search bar.

Next, a lot of the archive videos are broken. An infuriating problem when you watch the first half of a program and the second part doesnt work.

Thirdly, the customer service is shocking. There is no phone number so you cant call them just an email address. I emailed them twice about the broken videos and got no response. Only after I emailed the SLO who forwarded it to RTV did I get a response and even then all they sai was 'we are aware and are working on it".

Overall the content is good the training videos and the interviews in particular however the website and layout needs a lot of work.

Two points.
1. An app for Apple and Android.
2. The ability to fast forward when casting so you don’t have to sit through the half hour preview when not watching live!!

I think those saying they'd rather do without a commentary would quickly change there minds if we lost commentary one week. Also, some of the same folk wanting no commentary want more analysis.:oops:

Tom talks too much, no question. Probably from his days commentating at Ibrox for the blind. He's not a 'professional' media man per se. He also sees his role (it seems to me) as being to use his co-commentator not only to provide insight but also to 'interview' them as an introduction to fans. I'd tend to agree it should be one or the other to cut down on the 'chatter'. Nevertheless, it is what it is. It compares reasonably well with other club tv channels I've watched in terms of match commentary. We have actually tried other commentators in the past with lacklustre response. I can't remember the guys name though.

Analysis? I'm not fussed. Happy to 'analyse' the game with my own eyes. We all 'know' about football so its not so much of a chore having to think for yourself rather than have the likes of Sutton tell you what to think. So long as I can see a replay (and for many matches that's not down to RangersTV during the match, its the likes of Sky or BT providing the feed) I'm happy. To be fair, RangersTV show the action and the replays from a different angle once they've processed it after the live broadcast. Would it make me any happier to hear the likes of McCoist or DJ confirm my thoughts it was a penalty? Not really, makes no difference if the referee hasn't given it. I don't need an analyst.

Someone asked why the feed cuts out abruptly, often mid-sentence, at the end of a match. Its because we only pay to have the live feed for a set period of time. Tom and Co keep on talking because those who view the delayed broadcast of the match get the post-match stuff as well as the recorded version keeps on going.

I find it hard to find the new content when it's added

As posted several times - go to the Search bar, leave it EMPTY, click on Search. Gets videos in date order. It may not be intuitive but it works - and its not that much of a burden even for the technophobes amongst us.

The problem with the Archive videos is a real pain as someone pointed out. I'm only guessing but this may be due to the change from Flash content to HTML content. Some have not been converted yet.

yes he can be a bit repetitive but got to be better than listening to most of the other commentators, I like Andy Little and Peter Lovenkrands as co commentators they do add something overall

Andy and Peter are decent, both full of enthusiasm and you can here they are big Rangers fans as well as getting some insight, particularly from Lovenkrands, on the youths. Kevin Thomson was as well when they used him. Stevie Smith is alright in my eyes also.

Andy and Peter are decent, both full of enthusiasm and you can here they are big Rangers fans as well as getting some insight, particularly from Lovenkrands, on the youths. Kevin Thomson was as well when they used him. Stevie Smith is alright in my eyes also.
Yes they are all good, although the conversations on issues not related to what is happening on the park can be distracting I personally dont mind it, a bit like sitting beside your mates during a game

Yes they are all good, although the conversations on issues not related to what is happening on the park can be distracting I personally dont mind it, a bit like sitting beside your mates during a game

Indeed, as I've posted above, Tom wants to interview them during the game instead of just getting the odd bit of input from them. Just needs to reel it in a wee bit.

This is my only real complaint - he doesn’t know when to go quiet for a wee bit. It’s as if he’s uncomfortable with any silence .

However I really like his enthusiasm and passion . On balance it’s better listening to Tom than any of our sour , anti Rangers commentators on bbc or sky.
This, every day of the week.

It’s a club tv production. It allows a degree of bias, in fact it should and does support that. Is there better than Tom out there who could do the same role better ? Probably yes but that’s probably true of any of our jobs too. I don’t want a Sky type promotion for this platform. I like two, sometimes three Rangers men, commenting on Rangers.

So the commentary side, I’m fine with. Maybe pre and post match, the content could be improved. Pre match analysis, including the in’s and outs of our rivals for the games, especially for European games. I’d loved to have known a bit more about the St Joseph’s team for example. A bit of history of the club, a quick snapshot of the players, etc. And post match, let the co commentator review the game properly.

Technically it’s got better. I very seldom get stream loss now which was very common up until last season, at least for me. If there was a bit more money to be used, I’d like to see a couple more cameras used to enable better replays of, for example,close offside decisions and the likes of that.

All in all, it’s improving and I for one am happy to see that.

Last edited:
Indeed, as I've posted above, Tom wants to interview them during the game instead of just getting the odd bit of input from them. Just needs to reel it in a wee bit.
gonna try Edge and lower the res on the next RTV game, see if I can then get a watchable picture even if its slightly delayed

gonna try Edge and lower the res on the next RTV game, see if I can then get a watchable picture even if its slightly delayed

I watched the match from a different location the other night. I was visiting my son, and had constant buffering from just after they went off the pitch at half time. Never happens to me watching it at home. My son tells me its because his router is 'optimised' for just 10 devices and we'd gone over that figure. No idea if there is any substance to that though internet searches suggest there 'might' be.

Anyways, went to the little box in the bottom right with the 4 squares and adjusted it from Auto to 1080p. Still buffering. Dropped to the one below that - still buffering. Dropped it again (might have been to 320Mbps) and it worked perfectly from then until the end of the match. I can't say I noticed any degradation in quality whatsoever - though my stream was as much as 45 seconds behind 'live'. If you have goal alerts set up on your mobile phone then turn them off. Or wait for the 'ping, ignore your phone and sit there in anticipation of someone scoring - but you don't know which team it will be ha ha.

Content on RTV is excellent

Love the interviews and training videos

I got a new LG Smart tv and can’t watch RTV on it

Got to use iPad to view

Anyone else suffered this issue?

I watched the match from a different location the other night. I was visiting my son, and had constant buffering from just after they went off the pitch at half time. Never happens to me watching it at home. My son tells me its because his router is 'optimised' for just 10 devices and we'd gone over that figure. No idea if there is any substance to that though internet searches suggest there 'might' be.

Anyways, went to the little box in the bottom right with the 4 squares and adjusted it from Auto to 1080p. Still buffering. Dropped to the one below that - still buffering. Dropped it again (might have been to 320Mbps) and it worked perfectly from then until the end of the match. I can't say I noticed any degradation in quality whatsoever - though my stream was as much as 45 seconds behind 'live'. If you have goal alerts set up on your mobile phone then turn them off. Or wait for the 'ping, ignore your phone and sit there in anticipation of someone scoring - but you don't know which team it will be ha ha.
gonna give it a go anything is better than what Im currently getting, when we get to the Europ groups and Knockouts I get it live on Optus in HD and its simply perfect, if lucky get every second league game on Bein sport which is also very good, just need to fill in the blanks

I would rather listen to brutal commentary from a true Rangers fan than those kunts 'Crags' and Michael Stewart etc

They make me sick

I would rather listen to brutal commentary from a true Rangers fan than those kunts 'Crags' and Michael Stewart etc

They make me sick
Michael Stewart would need to be the most annoying c unt on tv and radio, what a self entitled little man he is and he hates us with a passion.

Rangers TV is outstanding for the budget it plays with. If more fans who demand better, demand king finds another £10m quid down the sofa would pay the fucking massive 20p a day for the subscription it could invest more.

Rangers TV is outstanding for the budget it plays with. If more fans who demand better, demand king finds another £10m quid down the sofa would pay the fucking massive 20p a day for the subscription it could invest more.

happy to pay for a decent service, why not, up to the club to put a proposition out to us OS supporters, Im sure it would get huge take up, dont use illegal streams either, have subs to foxtel and Optus

happy to pay for a decent service, why not, up to the club to put a proposition out to us OS supporters, Im sure it would get huge take up, dont use illegal streams either, have subs to foxtel and Optus

It’s very good, you’re at it. It’s a couple of Pence a day for fux sake not a sky sports subscription and you get way more content on Rangers you get elsewhere.

People having a go at them, when they are recognised as being one of the best in the UK with the platforms they have, need a long hard look in the mirror and slapped with a wet fish!

Alice reminds me of the song "who the f..k is Alice", I think she adds nothing to the program.
Other than that it is enjoyable. We do not get much football content on regular tv here in Canada.

It’s very good, you’re at it. It’s a couple of Pence a day for fux sake not a sky sports subscription and you get way more content on Rangers you get elsewhere.

People having a go at them, when they are recognised as being one of the best in the UK with the platforms they have, need a long hard look in the mirror and slapped with a wet fish!
relax mate you will have an aneurysm, the service for me is not good, poor pic, lag and buffering, dont get it with any other streaming service, and I have lots, so not a problem my end, people will pay for a service if it meets their needs, no issues, thats the commercial world we live in, if it does not then they wont, its up to the provider to improve their service to meet the needs of their clients, this gets in more subscribers and all costs aside will hopefully improve their bottom line

Back