Rangers TV app

Egt

Apologies if I’ve missed the thread on this, but has there been any explanation from the club as to why the new RangersTV app is so much worse than the previous version? The menu screens might look slicker but the actual operation of the app is so much worse now. Used to enjoy casting the videos to my TV of an evening but have barely logged into my account since this function was removed.

Really poor to have changed this mid-season when we’re all stuck at home.

The last few times i have cast from my ipad to my TV using Apple's "screen mirroring" with relatively few problems (it never has been painless though). In the past, i would though get whatsapp messages etc flashing up on my tv screen which was a nuisance. That has now dissapeared thankfully . Im a bit of a technophobe so i have no idea if it was Rangers TV or Apple that had sorted this problem?! :rolleyes:

The last few times i have cast from my ipad to my TV using Apple's "screen mirroring" with relatively few problems (it never has been painless though). In the past, i would though get whatsapp messages etc flashing up on my tv screen which was a nuisance. That has now dissapeared thankfully . Im a bit of a technophobe so i have no idea if it was Rangers TV or Apple that had sorted this problem?! :rolleyes:

If you’re screen mirroring then you aren’t casting.

Casting takes whatever your watching & plays it on the screen.

Screen mirroring is an exact “mirror” image of your device screen. That’s why you’d get WhatsApp messages, or whatever else pops up on your device screen, popping up on your tv screen.

Are you doing it direct to your tv or do you have Apple TV as well?

If you’re screen mirroring then you aren’t casting.

Casting takes whatever your watching & plays it on the screen.

Screen mirroring is an exact “mirror” image of your device screen. That’s why you’d get WhatsApp messages, or whatever else pops up on your device screen, popping up on your tv screen.

Are you doing it direct to your tv or do you have Apple TV as well?
I have Apple Tv and a Chromecast plugged into the HMDI sockets in the back of my TV. When i was watching our last game im sure the ipad said "screen mirroring" ( i think?!) .
As i said, im a bit of a neanderthal when it comes to tech!

I have Apple Tv and a Chromecast plugged into the HMDI sockets in the back of my TV. When i was watching our last game im sure the ipad said "screen mirroring" ( i think?!) .
As i said, im a bit of a neanderthal when it comes to tech!

Okay. If you’ve got Apple devices, forget about the screen mirroring then, as this is what’s causing the whatsapp messages to appear.

When you’re playing a video on RTV app, there will be an option to airplay to your Apple TV.

213436-B9-EEEC-4-B37-9438-C10-E8-A746-C3-F.jpg

If you hit this highlighted icon above you’ll get the below option to airplay to your Apple TV. Just press Apple TV.

89-A95482-1023-4-BDB-A8-C1-A3065-FC26683.jpg

Last edited:
My son and I use it on Firestick and we both find it cumbersome. Getting the replay of Thursday's match was nearly impossible. It is not better in terms of working it.

Is it only the android app that’s affected by this? Airplay still works on iOS.

I can cast from android phone to Sony Bravia without any problems.Watched a few interviews at the weekend.

Last edited:
I don’t even get as far as casting or mirroring on the app anymore. Always have to login (anyone else have this problem?) and there’s no search button (that I can see).

Has there been any info regarding a chromecast option?

Apologies if I've missed it
There has. I asked the SLO and the restoration of the Chromecast facility is ‘on the agenda’. No forecast though.

I will be honest, whilst I have the App on multiple devices, I barely use it. Find using the website a much better experience for virtually everything.

My son and I use it on Firestick and we both find it cumbersome. Getting the replay of Thursday's match was nearly impossible. It is not better in terms of working it.
You use the App on a Fire TV Stick? You must be the only one then because last time I tried I could get the App sideloaded but it doesn't launch. Impossible unless things have changed in the last week. Using a browser it works but playing videos needs a bit of a workaround and I find it best to avoid Silk.

See post #310 in this link:

You use the App on a Fire TV Stick? You must be the only one then because last time I tried I could get the App sideloaded but it doesn't launch. Impossible unless things have changed in the last week. Using a browser it works but playing videos needs a bit of a workaround and I find it best to avoid Silk.

See post #310 in this link:

No, sorry, I was referring to the website. Using the RTV is now cumbersome, in my opinion. You gave some welcome help a few weeks ago, but I don't find it very user friendly.

No, sorry, I was referring to the website.
I thought that mate but just wanted it to be clear in case others misunderstood. Yeah, casting from website is still possible. Do you not need to cast the tab via Google Home now or something or does it work as 'normal' now?

That link I posted has some good advice on how to play videos on Fire TV Stick - its a pain in the ass but 'doable'.

I thought that mate but just wanted it to be clear in case others misunderstood. Yeah, casting from website is still possible. Do you not need to cast the tab via Google Home now or something or does it work as 'normal' now?
I use silk on Firestick; navigating to games etc is hopeless. I tried to see the pre match training, and gave up. The white tool bar at the bottom of the screen is a real problem.

Didnt want to create a new thread. Does anyone know if you buy RTV now if it still lasts a full year?

Or does it end just like mygers does

I use silk on Firestick; navigating to games etc is hopeless. I tried to see the pre match training, and gave up. The white tool bar at the bottom of the screen is a real problem.
Yup the 'white bar of death' Solution is in that link, post #310.

Didnt want to create a new thread. Does anyone know if you buy RTV now if it still lasts a full year?

Or does it end just like mygers does
RangersTV subscriptions run for a month, or year, from the date you purchase them. Its not a season-to-season thing.

I personally think the whole app is poor for watching videos, even on your phone.

I like how they have the videos grouped into specific games etc but overall i dont like the new app at all.

In comparison with the results I had under the old system, I find it much better. We’re using RTV through the Panasonic Smart TV, quality very good, however instead of using the hand set, I bought a small keyboard, to manipulate through the menu system, works well.

You can cast - not screen mirror - from the App, or from the website?

Both. I can Chromecast from the android app to the TV as well as Chromecast from Chrome browser to TV.

The previous RTV app I could attempt to Chromecast to the TV but it didn't cast properly.

Both. I can Chromecast from the android app to the TV as well as Chromecast from Chrome browser to TV.
Thank you. Interesting. I'm not on Android but had gathered from the posts on here that Chromecast functionality on the App was gone - or wasn't working.

Thank you. Interesting. I'm not on Android but had gathered from the posts on here that Chromecast functionality on the App was gone - or wasn't working.

It's weird. I've been reading those posts as well. Loads really quickly to the TV from the app as well.

I used the app for the first time a couple of weeks ago to watch one of our games via my virtual ST

It didn’t buffer once on my phone.

Was magic

On my iphone if you try to watch in Landscape mode it pauses the stream, goes black, then starts again zoomed in with the picture cropped. I tried again after the update and it was still the same. Deleted and reinstalled and no change. Also doesn't save your password or offer facial recognition sign in, so have to enter full details every time. Not a big deal but you'd expect better from a new app.

On my iphone if you try to watch in Landscape mode it pauses the stream, goes black, then starts again zoomed in with the picture cropped. I tried again after the update and it was still the same. Deleted and reinstalled and no change. Also doesn't save your password or offer facial recognition sign in, so have to enter full details every time. Not a big deal but you'd expect better from a new app.
Yes, videos restart if you switch to landscape. Generally you will be doing that right at the start anyway so not hugely inconvenient.

And yes, in Landscape you lose a sliver of screen at the top or bottom, which is annoying. Your 'zooming in' sounds like a different issue though and could be related to your Display Settings on the phone. I use iPhone and don't have that problem at all. Check this:

Go to Settings-Display&Brightness then look at the "Display Zoom" setting. If set to "Zoomed" then change to "Standard". Its been reported that this *may* solve your issue if you have inadvertently changed the default setting for whatever reason.

Yes, videos restart if you switch to landscape. Generally you will be doing that right at the start anyway so not hugely inconvenient.

And yes, in Landscape you lose a sliver of screen at the top or bottom, which is annoying. Your 'zooming in' sounds like a different issue though and could be related to your Display Settings on the phone. I use iPhone and don't have that problem at all. Check this:

Go to Settings-Display&Brightness then look at the "Display Zoom" setting. If set to "Zoomed" then change to "Standard". Its been reported that this *may* solve your issue if you have inadvertently changed the default setting for whatever reason.
I think what you described (slither top and bottom) was what I meant by zoomed in. Thanks for the advice anyway. Handy to know for other things. Cheers VB.

Back