Rangers tv - on your telly

Why email RangersTV about it? The issue is with the inbuilt browser on your Smart TV. Problem is, many of them just aren’t good enough to deal with streaming via the browser. I tried on my son’s Smart TV recently and simply got a message saying ‘not enough memory to perform this function’. Nothing at all to do with a RangersTV.

I emailed RTV because I’ve never had a problem watching games that I’ve paid for on my TV before, nothing to do with “not enough memory to perform this function” all I got was a Blue Screen and a message saying that I was watching Rangers v Midtjlland..
Hope that’s ok with you!

Sorry to hijack your thread Diego but for anyone looking to watch it via their firestick, I downloaded the Firefox browser & logged into Rangers TV with no problems for the Midtjylland 1st leg.

I emailed RTV because I’ve never had a problem watching games that I’ve paid for on my TV before, nothing to do with “not enough memory to perform this function” all I got was a Blue Screen and a message saying that I was watching Rangers v Midtjlland..
Hope that’s ok with you!

Maybe your post should have included the later info about it working previously mate. Would have elicited a completely different reply.

Should work just the same as with a Windows laptop mate. Obviously you will probably need something like a Thunderbolt to HDMI connector or USB-C to HDMI connector though - given it’s a MacBook. After that it’s just VPN on (when appropriate), login to RangersTV and away you go.
Good to go.

Have got the HDMI which is conncected from my Xbox to the telly. So will just use this for my laptop.

The VPN is only required for domestic matches so don’t need it tomorrow, that’s correct isn’t it?

Also VB, is your RTV account separate from your official Rangers account tickets etc?

Somewhat chuffed I figured this out on my own years ago. I went to Office Depot where I bought HDMI adaptor to lightning. To bad my apple's fried now. Trying to figure out, from reading, if I can search for RangersTV through my PS3 or if using my new Blue Ray player, which I bought for streaming Prime is the better option. Will it even work? I currently watch on a PC

You don’t need any cables at all if you have a Samsung smart TV.
There is an app called Samsung TV cast.
Go to the App Store and then install it on to your phone.

After that go onto YouTube and search ‘cast from phone to Samsubg Smart TV’.
You should find a video and follow the instructions on that.

If you have a PC or an iPad watch the video on thar and hit stop at each stage shows that the installation process can be followed.

I am not a techie but with a bit of perseverance then manage to cast from the app on my phone onto my TV and it works well every time.

Good idea to register for the game at least a couple of hours before hand so that when you search rangers TV on Google within the app then it’s just a case of bringing the game up and not having to go through the payment process if you are buying it as a one off.

Maybe your post should have included the later info about it working previously mate. Would have elicited a completely different reply.

To be fair, I’m a bit clueless when it comes to Browsers, VPN etc, I know the basics but had no clue what to do when I didn’t get a picture apart from watch it on the other means I have of doing so.

Good to go.

Have got the HDMI which is conncected from my Xbox to the telly. So will just use this for my laptop.

The VPN is only required for domestic matches so don’t need it tomorrow, that’s correct isn’t it?

Also VB, is your RTV account separate from your official Rangers account tickets etc?

If it’s a Macbook you best check it has an HDMI connection? Not all have one, hence my comment about an adapter.

You don’t need the VPN for tomorrow.

Can’t answer regarding accounts mate as my Rangers account is in the wife’s name and the RangersTV one in my name. My instinct tells me they will be separate, but I’m not certain.

To be fair, I’m a bit clueless when it comes to Browsers, VPN etc, I know the basics but had no clue what to do when I didn’t get a picture apart from watch it on the other means I have of doing so.

No worries. Maybe you can answer me a question. I know using a Smart TV for RangersTV is hit or miss, you only have to read the posts on here to see that. Surely though, folk can only use a Smart TV for those games that are available in the UK. Otherwise, how do you get around the VPN issue?

didnt work on mine last week. I’ve Since put on the puffin browser, but will stick with the cable tomorrow as I know it works well.

Sounds a pain mate - have you done all your updates and stuff on your tv?

The browser itself is shit and slow, but once the game stream started it was fine. Was contemplating trying it through an xbox just purely as the interface is a bit smoother.

If it’s a Macbook you best check it has an HDMI connection? Not all have one, hence my comment about an adapter.

You don’t need the VPN for tomorrow.

Can’t answer regarding accounts mate as my Rangers account is in the wife’s name and the RangersTV one in my name. My instinct tells me they will be separate, but I’m not certain.
We’re all set.

MacBook has the HDMI port.

Created my new account there for RangersTV, will buy game tonight.

Unless you use a vpn on your iPad and then your Apple TV doesn’t like it
Only if it’s a game where you’re required to be outside the U.K. but that’s why you need the vpn

For a normal U.K. game like tomorrow’s it will stream from the phone to the Apple TV without a vpn no bother. That’s my experience anyway

For anyone with a Samsung Smart TV (and LG as well I think but don’t quote me on it) and an iPad/iPhone you can now just download the Apple TV app straight onto your tv from the Apps menu.

Then just a case of hitting the AirPlay symbol once you’ve started the game on your phone and you’re off.

No fee or anything.

Saves footering about with a Chromecast or cables.

[eQUOTE="stevie221, post: 4178906, member: 4397"]Dads and Grandads. I've been using main TV as a monitor since I had a 386 in the mid-90's. The only time I can use my phone to watch something is with the VR goggles, otherwise it's too footery.[/QUOTE]
You had 8 year old technology? However was the argument settled about whether you needed a 386 if only using a word processor?

Unless you use a vpn on your iPad and then your Apple TV doesn’t like it

Is this right? I was thinking of getting an Apple TV for mirroring my iPad to the TV but wasn’t aware there could be an issue if I’ve got the VPN on in order to stream the game. Anyone else confirm - or otherwise - that it will work with the VPN on? I thought the only restriction was that both devices had to be on the same local network.

No worries. Maybe you can answer me a question. I know using a Smart TV for RangersTV is hit or miss, you only have to read the posts on here to see that. Surely though, folk can only use a Smart TV for those games that are available in the UK. Otherwise, how do you get around the VPN issue?

It’s the first time I’ve ever had a problem watching a paid for game, as I said I have no idea how these things work but I’d gladly pay to watch any Rangers game that I could instead of watching dodgy streams through the internet.
As for your question mate, you’d be as well asking me to solve the Brexit mess...lol

Is this right? I was thinking of getting an Apple TV for mirroring my iPad to the TV but wasn’t aware there could be an issue if I’ve got the VPN on in order to stream the game. Anyone else confirm - or otherwise - that it will work with the VPN on? I thought the only restriction was that both devices had to be on the same local network.

VPN on to start the stream then turn off the vpn and mirror to your tv. I’m using the AirPnP app to enable Airplay on my Amazon Fire TV.

Unfortunately yes mate. I’ve just purchased one of the cables the OP recommended to get round this. I have noticed my Samsung tv (which isn’t my main tv) allows airplay with a VPN on, and works just as well as airplay on Apple TV. I personally find fire tv box, tv browsers to be jumpy and don’t like them. I often dig out my old laptop (which could definitely do with an upgrade).

For the technologically bereft amongst us, what is a lightening to HDMI cable and how does it work?

I have a top of the range Samsung 4K Smart tv, so presume this would work.

I too have a new Samsung TV (UHD, 82") and RTV runs perfectly on it, using the built in browser. No need for cables.

I installed puffin browser on mine and it plays RTV fine. It’s a shite browser for everything else, but st least I’m online for 55 with no additional cables!

I'm using my phone,download the opera browser as that has a built in VPN for when it's needed.
also install Google home app.
open that and select mirror screen.
then run opera and sign into rangers TV.
good to go.

A lot of hassle could be wiped out if rangers TV just bloody added Google chromecast though.

Last edited:
Web Video Caster works from your phone, but not with a VPN.

Either plug your pc into your TV or cast the screen, using cast tab in Chrome browser, to a Chromecast (pc again).

I'm sure others will have ways.

Does the basic version work or is it best to upgrade to the premium app version? Had issues last time mirroring my tablet to tv using a different app so looking at a way to cast via my iPhone.

1. As you'll know, if you're outside the UK (as I am) you don't need a VPN, so the issue doesn't arise.

2. If you need to use a VPN, you can (if you know how) run one on your router. In fact, you can even tell your router to use the VPN only for the smart TV (give the tv a static IP, and tell the router to send only that IP source through the VPN tunnel). That way, other devices simply bypass the VPN.

1. As you'll know, if you're outside the UK (as I am) you don't need a VPN, so the issue doesn't arise.

2. If you need to use a VPN, you can (if you know how) run one on your router. In fact, you can even tell your router to use the VPN only for the smart TV (give the tv a static IP, and tell the router to send only that IP source through the VPN tunnel). That way, other devices simply bypass the VPN.

Yes mate, I’m aware you can get routers that allow you to setup a VPN at router level rather than using an app, for example. Unfortunately it doesn’t look do-able on my BT Smart Hub and I don’t fancy investing in a new router just to get my Smart TV behind a VPN. Laptop and cables it is then.:)

Last edited:
For anyone with a Samsung Smart TV (and LG as well I think but don’t quote me on it) and an iPad/iPhone you can now just download the Apple TV app straight onto your tv from the Apps menu.

Then just a case of hitting the AirPlay symbol once you’ve started the game on your phone and you’re off.

No fee or anything.

That's exactly what I do. Works perfectly

No fee or anything.

This only applies to recent models (2019 and a few 2018). Still very much in its infancy I think. The link contains a list of Smart TV that have, or will have, inbuilt AirPlay.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-tv-samsung-sony-roku-3689942/

I had no idea there’s a cable that you can use to connect an iPad to your tv ?

Every Thursday I’ve just been precariously balancing my laptop on a chair next to the telly and using an hdmi cable between them

If you have a news iPad Pro with usb-c then it is even easier as any usb-c hub with hdmi support will work.

If a VPN is not required, I use the Xbox One. Simply log in to RTV using the Edge browser.

If a VPN is required, I have Private Internet Access on my laptop. I use Chrome browser and cast to a Chromecast connected to my TV.

I have issues with black borders around the TV screen when using a HDMI cable to connect the Laptop to TV. It's an overscanning issue with my laptop graphics card which requires a lot of messing about to sort.

Does the basic version work or is it best to upgrade to the premium app version? Had issues last time mirroring my tablet to tv using a different app so looking at a way to cast via my iPhone.
I have the paid version, which works on any site I've tried, so I'm not not sure. I would expect it does, the biggest difference is bookmarking and and adblocking. Give it a go. Cut and paste the direct link from your browser, press the button at the top, and it'll show you the video links. It's usually the one the top. Then cast.

I have the paid version, which works on any site I've tried, so I'm not not sure. I would expect it does, the biggest difference is bookmarking and and adblocking. Give it a go. Cut and paste the direct link from your browser, press the button at the top, and it'll show you the video links. It's usually the one the top. Then cast.

Cheers will do. Paid version is only 3.99 so I’ll buy full version if needed. Main thing is I can get Rangers TV on my tv using the app and chromecast, which sounds like it does.

Cheers will do. Paid version is only 3.99 so I’ll buy full version if needed. Main thing is I can get Rangers TV on my tv using the app and chromecast, which sounds like it does.
Remember, if you need a VPN to access RTV it won't work. Depends where you are.

Back