Rangers urged to seek Brendan Rodgers favour as legend tells Steven Gerrard to 'forget he's a former Celtic boss'

Not sure why people are acting like this is a a weird suggestion. Obviously we do our own homework for the most part. But if the gaffer and Rodgers have any relationship at all, of course he will talk to the manager who just faced the same side. Leicester didn’t make Europe League a priority, played a weakened side and messed it up however. We won’t do that.

I stopped reading these type of articles when I was about 18. They're all the same, I thought it's just some drivel cobbled together by a journalist and the player puts his name to it.
Not really.
In these types of opinion pieces the player gives his thoughts on whatever subject and the journalist then writes it in legible English. So it’s not just made up.

Yeah Barry, let's ask the advice of a guy whose team were walloped by our next opponents. A guy who has never won a two legged tie in Europe in five goes at it. And from what I've read his win rate in Europe is something like 23%. And the majority of those wins would have been made up of qualifiers against the likes of the Red Imps and such like.

What a lucky bubble Barry inhabits. Imagine being paid to come up with that guff?

The Old Pals Act is how Barry makes a living nowadays, of course his first instinct is to phone a pal and use their material rather than entrusting his own staff.

For one of the best players of his generation I think it shows why management isn't for him.

Hi Brendan, it’s Steven, could you help me in Europe? You know that thing I’ve won more qualifying, group stage and knockout ties in than you, even though I’ve played under you, moved on, retired, became a youth coach, then a 1st team manager, all whilst you’ve managed clubs who are in Europe (and doing sh*te in the process). Cheers.

This thread will be another shining example of a Rangers legend taking a tanking rightly or wrongly whilst the likes of Brian Rice, “Yogi”, and Dalglish get their cocks sucked on similar threads relating to their opinions
In fairness Dalglish played and managed at the highest level (and Celtc).

Thats why you're managing part timers Barry. Scouting and analysis isn't just asking your pal what he thinks. There's a professional process in place.
And even at that a mate who has been defeated by them, and is out of every fucking cup competition known to man .

I'm sure our own analysis team will be able to get all the information they need from watching their games

This place is mental, It's not like Ferguson is suggesting something outlandish here, picking the brains of other managers has been going on for decades. If Gerrard feels he can glean some extra insight from Rodgers I'm sure he'll do it. It's just a bit of tabloid fluff but as sure as eggs, there's plenty lining up to have a pop at a former captain. F**kng Clint Hill gets better press on here for what?, being the least sh*te player in a dreadful season?.

Last edited:
No need for Gerrard to contact this egotistic bellend.

Gerrard and his staff will do their own in depth analysis as they have all season and communicate what is required to the players.

The biggest thing he can learn from Rodgers is not to underestimate Prague, he rested a couple of key players thinking they would still breeze by them.

Maybe a symptom of the EPL continuing to believe they are all so superior, or alternatively Rodgers has the same complacency gene that has been running through his former club for years.

I think you have to ask why Barry brought Rodgers up in the first place.

Reads to me like he’s been asked the question and is simply responding to it.
Doesn’t suit the narrative though as some of our fans have a throbbing hard on for berating Barry Ferguson and everything he says. Could see their point when it seemed like he and Kris Boyd etc couldn’t wait to stick the boot in when the likes of Pedro were in charge but now people can’t wait to call him a thick cunt when they see his name on a thread.

The ex septic manager bit is irrelevant in this instance, I could be wrong but I think there is animus between the two men, and Rogers was a bit in awe of Gerrard and tried to force him out at Liverpool, the rumour was that Rogers was seen as a joke figure by the senior players, I can't see our manager asking Rogers for advice, just my opinion.

I really wish Barry Ferguson would speak less, he isn't the most intelligent and I'm sure some brain cells die each time he speaks. Gerrard and Rodgers are prob good friends and he might drop him a line. Rodgers saying he won't need my help to me looks like he is saying that Gerrard and his team know what they are doing and don't need my help as they have it covered.

I remember the glorious bastard used to get reports from English teams who had gone out in Europe to teams we were playing so it’s not unheard of. Normally British teams would be offering their analysis without asking but Brendan seems to be be saying feck off.

This place is mental, It's not like Ferguson is suggesting something outlandish here, picking the brains of other managers has been going on for decades. If Gerrard feels he can glean some extra insight from Rodgers I'm sure he'll do it. It's just a bit of tabloid fluff but as sure as eggs, there's plenty lining up to have a pop at a former captain. F**kng Clint Hill gets better press on here for what?, being the least sh*te player in a dreadful season?.

This nails it, a lot of the usual anti-Barry crap and as WOW says it's just a bit of OF fluff...... however there absolutely would be merit in any information that SG could get on the next tie...I would suggest the key to this is the relationship between the two but of course Rodgers could even give him insight into what went wrong for him.....how can that not help? Rodgers has proved he's a pretty decent manager/coach albeit a total throbber as a guy.

Steven Gerrard should leave no stone unturned in his prep , including , on this occasion , potentially speaking to Brendan Rodgers , I’ve absolutely no doubts this is what happens, pretty much every match , it’s then up to him to make our plans moving forward.

I must add , it’s going rather well .

Posters have read this , as Barry saying , call Brendan , then copy his plans , not the case .

Barry Barry barry

stop licking mentally challenged arses they fucking gate you

stop being a little bitch and get up off your knees ffs

why does continually look to appease them

it’s embrassing
Did you even read the article

If reports are to be believed, Gerrard has little love for Rodgers

I think he dropped him for the CL match at the Bernabeu which seemed quite harsh at the time.

Might stem from that.

Gerrard does speak highly of him as a coach though.

He might give him a call to see if there’s any info he learnt over the two legs. I think he’d be open to it.

Has he forgot he was Gerrard’s manager at Liverpool?
You either never read the aricle or you “forgot” this quote from it.

“Forget the fact he’s an ex-Celtic manager, the pair of them worked together at Liverpool and these things happen all the time in football”

I think Steven Gerrard and the backroom staff are very professional and will know a lot about Slavia before we play them, he will not need ANY help outwith the club.

If you don't think that Gerrard will ask Rodgers to send his dossier them you're off your head mate.

Managers do that all the time.

Rodgers and Gerrard have a great relationship as well.

So Barry is correct.

Oh, and that process you speak of actually involves gathering every single bit of information you can.
Strange then we were played that Danish team (last season I think) a report asked if he (SG) would be asking Peter lovenkrands for inside info. He said no, we have our own department for that .

But hey, maybe he has changed now and will be asking Rodgers for info

Back