Match Thread Rangers v Aberdeen - 19:45 Tuesday - Periscope Loyal

I was unfortunate enough to find a stream.
When you give away a goal after three minutes against a team set up to defend it for 90, You make your life unnecessarily difficult.

We have become predictable. Yes refereeing is a problem.
But we do not have good enough players with sufficient composure in the final third to beat these teams as we should be doing.

I still believe Steven Gerrard will improve us further but he may have to look to learn some plans B & C.

Wish I was

Every team hits a slump and were in one right now. What do you want. Give up the season in March? Call for the manager to be fired. Nah, ive had enough of that in recent years.

What I dont get is everybody, and I mean everybody, said when Gerrard was hired, "he will need time." "There will be rocky periods ahead", "it wont be plain sailing" "we need to be patient" etc, etc, etc, Yet the first sign of trouble we collectively lose the plot (I dont mean you specifically)

Sorry, it might not be a popular opinion (whining is much easier), but ill keep hoping we turn things around. Otherwise theres not much point paying RTV to watch the rest of the season ...

The problem is that Gerrard doesn't seem to be able to follow the flow of the game and see what is working and what is not working.

Time and time again, he has reacted too late. We were all growing anxious around the 58th minute, we could see and feel a familiar pattern, but he persevred with the same formation and bang 4 minutes later, we were out of the cup.

Gerrard acted only after Gary M told him too.

Tonight was a really sore one for us, second cup defeat to the sheep in a season and in our stadium, that's a disgrace.

That was a joke, we were shocking tonight, there is no creativity in the team whatsoever and we rely too heavily on Alfie for goals.

Folk on here continually slag Shinnie and Mckenna yet both would improve us drastically.
Why is that ? It's about attitude. We have a player with that quality but don't play him.
Ross McCrorie should be the 2nd name on our team sheet after McGregor.

* If this was the game of keeping the ball, we'd win every game. Shame it's all about the goals
* Candeias shouldn't be first team regular
* There seems to be very little variation in Rangers game tactically, no matter who's on the pitch
* As much as I love Alfredo, I'm not sure if he's good for Rangers. Of course there's no-one to replace him right now, but are our tactics too dependable on him?
* Our 11 blocked shots and their 8 yellows shows just who wanted to win this more
* Morelos should concentrate on scoring goals, not diving all the time. He's getting some hard time allright, but still...

Good night. Next season we'll be on transfer window stronger.

Fucking scunnered!

Sick and tired seeing us toil trying to break a team down, and then see endless shit balls fired into the box from goldson because they don't have a fucking clue.

Gerrard's coat is on a really shoogly peg, and seems completely devoid of any tactical nous.

The only positive tonight is the sheer amount of bears that went out in that rancid weather to watch that turgid shite.

Not sure how anyone can say that Gerard was schooled again when he sent the team out in the exact same shape with the same game plan that has failed all too often this season.

That is not being schooled that is being completely naïve. Warburton was absolutely slaughtered for not having a plan B.

We can't afford to keep changing Manager but he has to learn and up until now he has shown zero sign that he is learning from mistakes.
Can’t argud with any of this.

Our greedy Captain squares the ball to Candeias on the 56 minute (who was open) it’s a different ball game, but no, he has to take every Fukin throwin, free kick, shot etc etc.

Sorry to post this and expect a flaming for it but one or two things need to be changed before we will ever compete ( and yes we have the talent ).

Tavernier should never ever be a captain of Rangers for a variety of reasons ! He displays absolutely none of the qualities to be expected of a Rangers captain - just look at his performance on either post match interviews nor on the field.

He is decent going forward ( X number of penalities and assists etc. ) but sorry, he's supposed to be a full back which is a function which he doesn't properly fulfill. He has qualities going forward but get him out of a full back position which he can't do. To suggest that he 'needs' Candeias for cover is surely laughable - no player should be selected dependent upon the support which he expects from another !
That, certainly not as a full back where he is regularly found wanting, and more importantly leaves his CBs in the shit ! No player should be selected dependent upon cover expected from another player other than as expected ' instant/ emergency' situations.

That said, Tav is good at what he does so I cannot figure out why he isn't started in right midfield as that is where his best contributions comes from !

However, if we don't cover the full back position we will never progress !

Many will disagree that I know !

Last edited:
Some of our players are fùcking shite and will always display absolute cowardice. I won't name names cos I cannot be annoyed with the shit that follows. There are several id gladly never see darken the jersey again. Until we get rid of them, this wull continue to happen, be it gerrard, Smith or fkn god in charge a coward is a coward.
Likewise. We have a number of player who have been talked up and are seriously overrated. We are trying to play a passing game with quite a few players who don't seem to recognise our strip on a consistent basis. Our crossing and final ball is laughably bad, either hitting the first man or overplayed for a throw in on the far side.
On the odd occasion a cross gets through, there is either nobody there, nobody at the back post, or simply so surprised they haven't made a run. Decision making isn't just poor it's almost non existent. They just do the same thing over and over again hoping "it might just work this time" This also avoids the risk of being "blamed" which is in itself cowardly, and demonstrates a weak and feeble mindset.
There was no heart, no desire and no fight. They all wait for someone else to do it, none of them taking anything by the scruff of the neck. Lackadaisical and sloppy doesn't cover a horrendous lack of concentration, particularly at the back.

The problem is that Gerrard doesn't seem to be able to follow the flow of the game and see what is working and what is not working.

Time and time again, he has reacted too late. We were all growing anxious around the 58th minute, we could see and feel a familiar pattern, but he persevred with the same formation and bang 4 minutes later, we were out of the cup.

Gerrard acted only after Gary M told him too.

Tonight was a really sore one for us, second cup defeat to the sheep in a season and in our stadium, that's a disgrace.
Youre right in everything you say (and for the record I was one of the few who wasnt thrilled when we appointed him) However once I made the decision to get on board, I'm must stick with it. I said at the time it was a risky appointment and we were putting them getting 10IAR on the line by going for him. But now he's here we need to stick by him, and finance him, at least for another season

Gerrard First season yes, but there has to be major cause for concern - We have the players but don’t seem to have the tactics or style to break down stubborn teams. Why are we not shooting more from outside the box, why are we not taking on people in the middle of the park via slick 1,2s , why are we not running at defenders and inviting free kicks - we seem to be trying to do the great play too much and not the simple play

I'm kinda wondering what Gary Mc contributes to the set up? He was supposed to be Stevie G's mentor but rarely seems to get involved.

Did you miss the champions league or cup finals when he dragged his team up by the arse. This goes down as the most stupid f ucking comment of the night.
Did you miss his slip or fall, which cost Liverpool there first Championship in over twenty years .If you believe that, why the %^*& did he not lift Rangers tonight as manager.

aberdeen1.jpg

their fans took a "mattress " in the game 2night!

If you genuinely would rather Murty was in charge then you need a slap.

Clearly Gerrard is King’s man and is going nowhere.

To say it’s been as completely abject as the last few seasons would be disingenuous. Europe and an Old firm victory were necessary steps we needed to take.

Yet the ascendancy we felt on the 29th has been so pathetically surrendered. In truth, the league title challenge died the first game back at Kilmarnock. However much we tried to be optimistic, that was the night we knew we didn’t have it in us.

Clearly we have to salvage what we can from this season. Gerrard can prove he’s still the man to take us forward if we beat the mentally challengeds again at Ibrox. If our remaining league season collapses now, say we still don’t finish 2nd....then we’ll know he’s not up to it. Unlikely king would agree though.

I feel he’s going to approach next season at a Pedroesque crossroads. We knew then, a few dropped points early in the season, and then an old firm loss and you’re already staring at a 7 or 8 point chasm. So it came to pass with Pedro.

We’ll continue to back Gerrard as a club for now (not to do so would still be folly at this stage), but 6 months from now, if we’re again chasing, still squandering points, then yes, it’s going to be another punt that failed.

That was a joke, we were shocking tonight, there is no creativity in the team whatsoever and we rely too heavily on Alfie for goals.

Folk on here continually slag Shinnie and Mckenna yet both would improve us drastically.
Why is that ? It's about attitude. We have a player with that quality but don't play him.
Ross McCrorie should be the 2nd name on our team sheet after McGregor.

At the moment Shinnie would be a starter in our midfield and Mckenna would be our best centre half. He is more reliable as a defender than Goldson In my opinion.

I cannot also understand why Ryan Jack stops in front of Ross McCrorie. These games I need warriors and McCrorie is a warrior.
I don’t understand why he is not playing on a regular basis.

Same old story.

Gerrard clueless tactically again. Only seems to know one formation & the only change he can muster to chase a game is the same change a child could make i.e. chuck on another striker. Will he learn?

We really miss McCrorie is these games due to his physicality. I assume he must be injured because he wasn't on the bench.

Might sound like a broken record but Jack is not good enough to play every week. A squad player at best & we badly need an upgrade in this area. Albeit I said that last summer.

Also obvious that with Morelos off form, we toil badly and dont look like scoring. On a side point, Morelos needs a word in his ear as his diving is seriously embarrassing
Who the %^*& in their right mind attempts a dive in a replay of the same tie you have already been booked for the same thing knowing it means your suspended for the next round? Also aware that scottish referees are fucking aching to book you? In the same week we give him a new contract making him the highest paid player at the club and in the same week he gets back into the Columbia squad? Jesus %^*& man

You can not deny Morelos has improved as a player.

Truthfully?

I am split on that one.

He has become a persistent diver this past couple of months, the amount of times he has thrown himself is borderline embarrassing. Especially when everyone knows he is strong as an Ox.

This kind of behaviour could effect his price-tag if he doesn't curb it

I've defended Gerrard to the hilt on here after poor results and performances as I believe he's the right man to take us forward but I'm struggling to find anything positive to take away from that tonight. Good managers change systems and personnel to get the best out of a game and their players and poke holes in opposition tactics...Gerrard seems to just throw the same team that's not been winning games back out and hope for the best. That's not what good managers do

A fucking embarrassment, from the tactal naivety on the bench, to the cowards on the pitch.

They should be fucking ashamed tonight, I am and I was watching that shit

Truthfully?

I am split on that one.

He has become a persistent diver this past couple of months, the amount of times he has thrown himself is borderline embarrassing. Especially when everyone knows he is strong as an Ox.

This kind of behaviour could effect his price-tag if he doesn't curb it
What was his value twelve months ago?
What’s his value today?
How many dives do you do to become persistent?
Did he dive tonight?

If you genuinely would rather Murty was in charge then you need a slap.

Clearly Gerrard is King’s man and is going nowhere.

To say it’s been as completely abject as the last few seasons would be disingenuous. Europe and an Old firm victory were necessary steps we needed to take.

Yet the ascendancy we felt on the 29th has been so pathetically surrendered. In truth, the league title challenge died the first game back at Kilmarnock. However much we tried to be optimistic, that was the night we knew we didn’t have it in us.

Clearly we have to salvage what we can from this season. Gerrard can prove he’s still the man to take us forward if we beat the mentally challengeds again at Ibrox. If our remaining league season collapses now, say we still don’t finish 2nd....then we’ll know he’s not up to it. Unlikely king would agree though.

I feel he’s going to approach next season at a Pedroesque crossroads. We knew then, a few dropped points early in the season, and then an old firm loss and you’re already staring at a 7 or 8 point chasm. So it came to pass with Pedro.

We’ll continue to back Gerrard as a club for now (not to do so would still be folly at this stage), but 6 months from now, if we’re again chasing, still squandering points, then yes, it’s going to be another punt that failed.
I I’m a betting man it’s heading that way. Two things, to truly put a decent side together you need more than loans, frees, decent spl players and rehabilitations. Second point , despite that , SG is underachieving, Europe is a long way ago yet were only one point ahead of last year and we’ve regressed in cup competitions. Worryingly he can’t fix the same faults and seems to only be able to get the team half functioning in one formation. Right now I see it as a punt ( yet again by the board) that’s heading south. I do agree we don’t ditch him. Luckily he knows this affects his reputation and future prospects therefore he knows he had to fix it. He’s not going to half hearted in that. I think giving him a mentor privately might help. I’m sure Walter would step up to that.

At the start of the season, we struggled to break teams down who sat in against us.

As the season got well underway, we continued to break teams down who sat in against us due to our style of play/tactics.

At this latter stage of the season, we still play the same tactics and often struggle to break teams down and churn out similar results.

This is the sort of things that get managers the sack. Gerrard and his team aren’t learning. This is what gets people the sack.

Quite simply, he needs to learn/change or he’ll be out the door. (Not now but it will be a matter of time unless things change)

Did you miss his slip or fall, which cost Liverpool there first Championship in over twenty years .If you believe that, why the %^*& did he not lift Rangers tonight as manager.

So you concentrate on a slip, which could happen to anyone but forget the way he lifted his team in the Champions League Final in Istanbul? Maybe he couldn't lift the team tonight but maybe there's only so much a manager can do when a team have a limit to which they will go.

Back