Match Thread Rangers v Aberdeen - 19:45 Tuesday - Periscope Loyal

Wish I was

Every team hits a slump and were in one right now. What do you want. Give up the season in March? Call for the manager to be fired. Nah, ive had enough of that in recent years.

What I dont get is everybody, and I mean everybody, said when Gerrard was hired, "he will need time." "There will be rocky periods ahead", "it wont be plain sailing" "we need to be patient" etc, etc, etc, Yet the first sign of trouble we collectively lose the plot (I dont mean you specifically)

Sorry, it might not be a popular opinion (whining is much easier), but ill keep hoping we turn things around. Otherwise theres not much point paying RTV to watch the rest of the season ...
The FIRST sign of trouble? Aberdeen knocked us out the LC and we’re 8 behind in the league now Aberdeen have pumped us out the SC. What are you missing?

Well worth waiting til midnight for that shit.

Absolutely impotent in front of goal again.

And those officials are absolutely diabolical once again.

Might as well start copying and pasting this each week

Wish I was

Every team hits a slump and were in one right now. What do you want. Give up the season in March? Call for the manager to be fired. Nah, ive had enough of that in recent years.

What I dont get is everybody, and I mean everybody, said when Gerrard was hired, "he will need time." "There will be rocky periods ahead", "it wont be plain sailing" "we need to be patient" etc, etc, etc, Yet the first sign of trouble we collectively lose the plot (I dont mean you specifically)

Sorry, it might not be a popular opinion (whining is much easier), but ill keep hoping we turn things around. Otherwise theres not much point paying RTV to watch the rest of the season ...

Not "everybody" said that. I didn't want him as manager, and stated that appointing a rookie shouldn't readjust our aspirations just so he is given time to bed in. With the correct onfield decisions we would have won the league last season. The appointment of Pedro absolutely fucked us and we've lurched from one poor footballing decision to another ever since.

In saying that, I don't want him fired now either. I'd give him this season and next amd review next summer. This season has not been a success. A very poor domestic season with unexpected European success and a win against celtic (so far) as two rare highlights. Next season needs to see us winning silverware or he doesn't get a third.

We didn't deserve anything tonight - yet again we failed to turn.up against an inferior sheep team -
Yet again we were tactically nowhere - we allowed ourselves to be bullied all over the park for all 93 minutes

I know we should be able to deal with physical threats by skill & ability - but to do that we need a mentality & commitment we obviously don't have

It's also painfully obvious refs & officials won't protect us - but using that as an excuse is wearing thin & becoming a bit pathetic - even if it is true

Whatever happens between now & the end of the season - I worry most about our mentality - if we don't overcome our lack of determination - we could struggle to come second again

Maybe it shows my niaivity - but I just never thought SG & GMcC would not bring a winning mentality with them - or 'never beaten till we're beaten' commitment to the team on the park

During recruitment SG told us this was the attitude he was looking for - well regrettably - it hasn't worked - & we need to find it from somewhere quick

Last edited:
Anyone think the players can bounce back from this in the next game? (This is sarcasm)

How many times have we responded to a defeat/shocking display?

Fancy a sweepstake on who the first player will be to come out and tell us we need a response?

I'll go for Halliday who seems to get the short straw the most (even when he's not to blame).

There are so many things that are wrong in my opinion that have contributed to last night and a load of the other poor performances/results...

433: Don’t like it, think it leaves us short in midfield and up front. We don’t change it either when it isn’t working.

Katic: I don’t think Worral has done anything specifically wrong but Katic gives us a much bigger threat at set pieces and must play in my opinion.

McCrorie: Best ball winner we have and has to play not matter at who’s expense it is.

No10: we have no guile in midfield, no one to split a defence or get beyond the striker. We have a hard working midfield with some good tacklers and ball winners and some good box to box runners but no real quality in the final third.

Quality of crossing: Like the last point it’s aboit our final ball. Crossing is shocking the majority of the time. I don’t know what happened to Barisic, Tav and Candeias as all of their crossing was good at one point but it’s now dire.

Morelos: Probably going to take some stick here but....there no doubt he’s a decent player, strong and a decent finisher but he also misses a barrow load of chances, isn’t a good footballer technically, his touch is poor and can’t run with the ball. He throws himself down embarrassingly at times and can’t help but get involved in agro. If we get £15m-£20m I honestly believe we could replace him for a fraction and have money spare to buy Kent, a number 10 and right winger.

People blaming the ref nothing what so ever to do with the ref. We have a quarter final of the scotish cup tie at home and we go out on a whimper embarrassing not good enough.

Players in this team not good enough. A do like Gerrard but when u look back now at some of the players he was brought in there brutal. Barisic, grezda, coulibally, Flanagan, there woeful signings. For me the season is now gone. And the thought of players like Jordan jones and the talk of the kid from Motherwell dosent fill me with joy and optimism. Need quality players in!

Next 9 games we have a would like to see a different formation or something coz the last few weeks has been tough to watch.

And whole 20 million plus for Morelos behave last 3 games have been massive for us 2 aberdeen in the cup away to hibs and he dosent score. Hardly created any chance. If he’s a 20 million player he creates his chances and takes them!

Another let down season!

Last edited:
It would probably have been a better option than the predictable rubbish that we did put out there tonight.We need to start having plans B and C for breaking teams down.
Had we taken that approach we might just be in the semi final and have our best striker available to play.
I hope that answers your question!!

It doesn't I'm afraid.

I don't see how playing 3 central defenders against a team defending in big numbers with 1 man up front helps you break defensive teams down.

You're actually playing into their hands and having one less man in an attacking position.

There's plenty other ways to get Defoe into the team other than playing 3 central defenders.

If one of your midfielders decides to play the ball directly to an opposition forward and leave him 1 on 1 with your keeper and then your left back just lets his man run right off him it won't matter what formation you play to be honest.

Last night had %^*& all to with formations.

Our players never turned up and that's why we're out the cup.

Lost count of the bookings last night

30'
Daniel Candeias (Rangers) is shown the yellow card.
33'
Alfredo Morelos (Rangers) is shown the yellow card.
34'
Scott McKenna (Aberdeen) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.
38'
Stevie May (Aberdeen) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul
42'
Lewis Ferguson (Aberdeen) is shown the yellow card.
53'
Niall McGinn (Aberdeen) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.
67'
Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.
70'
Dominic Ball (Aberdeen) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.
79'
Dean Campbell (Aberdeen) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.
82'
Andrew Considine (Aberdeen) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.
90'+1'
Steven Davis (Rangers) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.

Aberdeen 8 yellow cards
Rangers 3 yellow cards

Times approx. (from the BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47450648)

The FIRST sign of trouble? Aberdeen knocked us out the LC and we’re 8 behind in the league now Aberdeen have pumped us out the SC. What are you missing?
I think youre missing the fact i'm treating all three as interconnected. Unless we evaluate managers on a week by week basis. In which case it doesnt say much for our long term planning

Rangers sadly were not upto the fight ffs any Rangers team who can not win even win 4 games in a row ffs don't deserve to win anything.

I think youre missing the fact i'm treating all three as interconnected. Unless we evaluate managers on a week by week basis. In which case it doesnt say much for our long term planning
I’m not sure what your point is but I think we’re on the same wavelength. Gerrard will be evaluated on results and the results haven’t been good enough.

We are running out of time. 2 consolation OF matches left and then 2 more title shots. If we fail it’s curtains.

I’m not sure what your point is but I think we’re on the same wavelength. Gerrard will be evaluated on results and the results haven’t been good enough.
He's also a first time manager and we gave him a three year deal (?). A degree of patience is necessary. You can argue he's no better than Pedro or Warburton results wise, but I think were streets ahead in some of the football weve played this season. He just needs to get us playing that way consistently

Having now sobered up from Tuesday night with yesterday being a total write off in bed dying, I can honestly say we might as well end the season now. No League Cup Final, beat by Aberdeen. No Scottish Cup Semi Final, beat by Aberdeen. No Premiership, beat by Celtic, as expected.

Made a complete arse of it. Only positives were our run in the Europa League and beating Celtic. Literally nothing else I can be positive about. Got Pena and Herrera off the wage bill so thats £26,000 each saved. New shop opened so we can now buy merch outwith Ibrox Sports Direct.

First half of the season was good, 2019 shambolic.

Might need to start playing like Aberdeen to actually beat teams. Yes they are pish, but it wasn't that when Walter Smith was doing the same in his second spell but with good players which meant we were still winning silverware every season!

It doesn't I'm afraid.

I don't see how playing 3 central defenders against a team defending in big numbers with 1 man up front helps you break defensive teams down.

You're actually playing into their hands and having one less man in an attacking position.

There's plenty other ways to get Defoe into the team other than playing 3 central defenders.

If one of your midfielders decides to play the ball directly to an opposition forward and leave him 1 on 1 with your keeper and then your left back just lets his man run right off him it won't matter what formation you play to be honest.

Last night had %^*& all to with formations.

Our players never turned up and that's why we're out the cup.

You are evidently someone of such expertises that you have the professional qualifications in football that permit you to dismiss the ideas of others as incompetence.
Which club or nation do you happen to work for?

Maybe those errors you speak of would not have happened if we had taken a more direct approach and played warriors like McCrorie.

You are evidently someone of such expertises that you have the professional qualifications in football that permit you to dismiss the ideas of others as incompetence.
Which club or nation do you happen to work for?

Maybe those errors you speak of would not have happened if we had taken a more direct approach and played warriors like McCrorie.

I personally would've started McCrorie as a defensive midfielder, but If you can't see that both their goals came from individual errors that would've happened whatever formation we'd played then that's entirely up to you.

Back