Match Thread ** Rangers v Aberdeen - 19:45 Wed 29th November - Sky Sports **

The difference as mentioned was attitude- there were still hints of the same old defensive frailties, Aberdeens scramble in the box first half could on another day have been a rerun of Dundee's first goal on Friday.

The attack looked a lot more fluid with support runners actually contributing to the play, we had players willing to go ahead of the man on the ball and give him options to attack at pace. This gave us superb width and contributed to Pena's goal for 2-0, Jason Holt willing to attack the space in behind the fullback and Pena being the man in the right position to take advantage.

Tonight was so much more dynamic, we must continue to go for it at the Sheep Pen this Sunday

Murty 9 - played it perfect, knows Pena is not a worker so he filled the midfield with grafters to let Pena do his thing & stay in advanced midfield

This sums it up. Pena is a luxury player but luxury players can be effective IF you play to their strengths and allow them the freedom to do so. Tonight's line up and system allowed him to do that. Well done Greame Murty and well done Carlos Pena.

Good performance and apart from a spell at the start of the second half we managed to cut out the silly mistakes that usually cost us dearly.
We looked better with the three in midfield giving us a solid base. Young McCrorie looks the part in there with Jack and Holt benefitting from it.
Pena is superb at making space and being dangerous where it matters. Yes there will be games he can't start but you have to utilise his positive attributes, scoring goals is the best skill to have.
Alves was superb and you could see the class player he is, the whole team benefitted from him being there tonight.

See McInnes used the old Walter tactic tonight. Get a lump of wood (Considine),punt high balls to him to header onwards. Reminds me of big Jig. For that tactic alone, I don't want McInnes.

See McInnes used the old Walter tactic tonight. Get a lump of wood (Considine),punt high balls to him to header onwards. Reminds me of big Jig. For that tactic alone, I don't want McInnes.

Deary me. What a night for a Rangers fan to try and drag Walter's name through the dirt.

Great game and the early lead really spurred us on. If that hadn't of happened we could have easily of chucked the towel in again after 20-30 mins.

Kind of glad morelos is out of the picture just now.

Jack and Mcrorie were superb but a good all round team performance.

After the first goal I have never been so confident of winning a game, we started very well and our movement was terrific all over the park, what a difference Holt makes.

This sums it up. Pena is a luxury player but luxury players can be effective IF you play to their strengths and allow them the freedom to do so. Tonight's line up and system allowed him to do that. Well done Greame Murty and well done Carlos Pena.
There's a player in Pena somewhere.
If he's given a chance he could be our next Gazza.
There's similarities in the options they take. Not necessarily how they play.
If we could get him playing the best football of his career (sound familiar)
We could have a real asset.
Great result maybe I'm just full of hope
:)

Credit where it was due last night for the teds,worked their socks of all game,great passion and commitment from the lads.

it was shoulders back and chest out night for the Gers,I was impressed with tempo and high energy to retrieve the ball..a real pleasure to watch and again young Ross will go onto be a star for us.

Great result and could have been more,well done lads and backroom staff,gave the sheep a terrible humping last night and at last we maybe found this team has balls when they want ..more of the same please lads..now deliver a great AGM today please.

WATP

We played well especially midfield but stand out player for me was our centre half Bruno Alves he gave us the platform stability at the back made huge difference imo

What a great result - just watching the BBC highlights.

Rob Maclean's "blatant offside" comments are just annoying.

Tav looks onside to me here - Aberdeen defenders trailing leg playing him on.

2d59bc.jpg

Or am I biased!

The biggest difference was getting the goal from the early pressure. If we had against Hamilton, it would have been 3pts. This team is fragile - you can see the confidence grow from getting a goal.

Great stuff!
The first goal was always going to be crucial. Glad we got it and although he was taken off, it was good to see Peña score.

Great team performance that has been lacking so much this season, hopefully we can show the same fight at the weekend up there.

Tremendous result and performance, really enjoyed watching that. I thought Pena worked as hard as I've seen him and there is definitely a player in there, we just have to play to his strengths which we done last night. Young McRorie was also impressive, get him tied down to a new long term contract asap.

What a performance, I honestly didn't see that coming. Hopefully more of the same this weekend.

McCrorie is unreal.

Deary me. What a night for a Rangers fan to try and drag Walter's name through the dirt.
Loved it tonight at the game, but my remark re Considine /Jig is valid. Loved the success WS brought us, but he could be hard going at times. The McGregor to McCulloch tactic was (imho) embarrassing.

That's more fkn like it Rangers! Superb performance, which in a way makes it so frustrating that we dropped 6 points over the last two weeks when we have the players with that kind of game in their locker. Even at three up we were still pressing forward and fighting for every ball. That's the kind of attitude that wins trophies. Standouts for me were Holt and Windass, who didn't stop running all night.

Keep it going.

Interestingly the 'penalty' for the sheep wasn't one. There was some holding initially outside the box but then Tav clearly let go and never touched him as he ran on and fell over.

A colleague says that part of the body 'offside' must be capable of scoring (foot/head, not arm). Defender's foot plays Tav's leg onside?
Part of his torso looks off to me. Need a better angle though.

Also not the obvious offside that it is being made of by some media people.

Part of his torso looks off to me. Need a better angle though.

Also not the obvious offside that it is being made of by some media people.

Agreed. BBC Celtic's instant offside pronouncement was an emotional response. It isn't clear; MacLean was voicing his prejudice.

Last edited:
Let's be totally honest here , it was an extremely tight decision that could go either way even with replays, we got the benefit on this one, but please dont tell me if griffiths scored a last minute winner against us identical to this we wouldnt be screaming of the injustices of it all !

It just shows you what a manager with an eye for a player and a bit of personal force could do with that squad . . .

Considering the injuries and stuff, we do have the beginnings of a decent squad. We're not a million miles behind the bheasts and a few good signings will see us challenge them, that much I'm sure of.

Considering the injuries and stuff, we do have the beginnings of a decent squad. We're not a million miles behind the bheasts and a few good signings will see us challenge them, that much I'm sure of.
Remember if you had put this in on the back of the Hamilton or Dundee game you would have thought to be off your trolley! To much dreaming and getting carried away on the back of a good performance. Lets see what happens on sun for starters , then where we are after we get a new manager. At the moment we are way way behind them in all aspects. You are deluding yourself if you think not.

Remember if you had put this in on the back of the Hamilton or Dundee game you would have thought to be off your trolley! To much dreaming and getting carried away on the back of a good performance. Lets see what happens on sun for starters , then where we are after we get a new manager. At the moment we are way way behind them in all aspects. You are deluding yourself if you think not.

Respectfully, I disagree mate. 2 or 3 players in to improve the first team and we can really have a go at this league. Injuries, managerial changes every year or so, a lot of players every year we've had to embed into the team, there's a lot that's affected our performance other than just the quality of our squad.

A good manager can have us competing within a year or 2 I'd hope!

(You're correct in the fact that never in a month of Sundays would I have said this after Hamilton or Dundee, but last night gave me that hope again :D)

Watched the game on Sky, Andy Walker is still a prick and Hailey Mcqueen is a hopeless presenter.

Robbie McCrorie simply fantastic performance

Loved it tonight at the game, but my remark re Considine /Jig is valid. Loved the success WS brought us, but he could be hard going at times. The McGregor to McCulloch tactic was (imho) embarrassing.
I know what you mean re the long ball. There was a spell that diagonal long ball to big jig was tactic no.1.

How much credit is Murty due regarding the shape of the team.

No Candeias, No Dorrans, No Morelos,

Brings back Alves, employs McCrorie in front of the back 4 in midfield.

I got to the game 2minutes late without knowing the line up, seen Pena's soul glo tastic locks on the pitch, McCrorie, Wilson and Alves playing and was wondering what the fuck was happening.

In truth, Murty played a blinder and it showed real balls.

Credit where it is due.

Back