Rangers v Aberdeen - 1991

mdingwall

Administrator
MkvOHkF.jpg

ykY5ixF.jpg

30 years ago today!!

Seems like yesterday. A huge game and immense atmosphere. I remember being so confident we were winning that day. There was no doubt in my mind it was ours.

What a day (and night)

my last game at Ibrox as a non season ticket holder as Ranger released the re-furbed Main Stand for season tickets that summer

i remember vividly Big Hateley demolishing Michael Watt early doors and the lad never come off his line again the whole game

What a day (and night)

my last game at Ibrox as a non season ticket holder as Ranger released the re-furbed Main Stand for season tickets that summer

i remember vividly Big Hateley demolishing Michael Watt early doors and the lad never come off his line again the whole game
Shows how much football has changed in such a short space of time. Few straight reds these days just considered a standard booking back then.

Can remember this like yesterday couple of pints in Curlers pre-match, beautiful sunny day, horrific nerves pre-match and then just utter bedlam

30 years ago today!!

Seems like yesterday. A huge game and immense atmosphere. I remember being so confident we were winning that day. There was no doubt in my mind it was ours.
I don't remember being confident at all in the run-up to the showdown. Especially following the Motherwell game.
However on meeting at the Rolls Royce club and the atmosphere in and around the ground it just felt that we would win.
That atmosphere and our confidence within the stadium affected the sheep and they missed an early chance and from there on in there was only going to be one winner.

Shows how much football has changed in such a short space of time. Few straight reds these days just considered a standard booking back then.
Hateley smashing their goalie in the opening stages was some thing that was expected in those days, never mind tolerated.

Opponents used to do the same with Chris Woods - high ball in and center forward goes through the goalkeeper to soften him up.

People would have a fit if you saw that in a game today.

Found my old mans ticket for this recently, I was on a long bus journey back from Holland on a school trip, couldn't find out the result until I got home in the good old pre mobile days.

Was too young at that time to realise what was at stake that day, would hate to imagine what my nerves would be like if that was to happen now, Think Aberdeen only needed a draw to win the league that day aswell!

I had a wee tear watching that. I was at the game with my mates, then went out for the night. We walked home claiming we would win next season by goal difference!

An incredible atmosphere. Even the players talk about with stated reverence. Possibly the best ever in my time and I’ve seen a few.

I met Davie Cooper at the Motherwell hospitality and im sure it was the week before when we got beat - was 8 and my mates dad was a Motherwell director at the time - cheered me right up after the result!

Remember getting my face painted with the colours in the morning then being knocked back at the Wee Rangers Club before the game until I washed it off as it wasn't acceptable.

The sheep only needed a draw (after we had lost 3-0 away at Motherwell the previous week).
Longest week ever in the build up to the game.
Incredible atmosphere (for me,only matched by Dynamo Kiev and Leeds games)for sheer tension.
Went to the toilet with 10 minutes left when we were 2-0 and there were loads of bears walking up and down the concourse to nervous to watch the game.
Team was like the walking wounded at the end.
Up there with my favourite ever Rangers days.
Hard to believe that it is 30 years ago.

David Robertson on the heart and hand podcast said that him and his fellow sheep players celebrated when they heard we were beat 3 nil at Motherwell thinking it was just a matter of turning up at Ibrox to get a draw.

It was only when they got to Ibrox the following week that it sunk in the enormity of the occasion and that got to the sheep.

Robertson was more or less signed by us prìor to the game and that was his last game for the sheep.

I was selling match programmes that year so had free entry with the pass.
I was behind the dugouts in the west enclosure that day, what a relief to win as Aberdeen had a few half decent chances as well.
Amazing feeling to win but the helicopter Sundays were better for me.

Hateley was immense for us..

He tore them apart that day, what a result after the week before.

I love Hateley, I even named my daughter after him.

Without doubt in my top 10 Gers games and my first game was in the 60's. The apprehension of it all going wrong before the game to the elation of winning the league is still with me to this day.

Mark Hateley was absolutely top class for us. Opposition goalies and defenders must have been terrified of him.

Unbelievable that 30 years have passed.

Walking wounded loyal. Was Terry Hurlock patched up to do a turn?
30 years ago!
Terry perhaps more famous at that game for the part of the video in the changing room after the match where players were spraying champagne all over the place and the bold Terry pipes up with "Oi, Don't waste it"

Back