Rangers v Aberdeen - 6 March 1971 - Scottish Cup quarter final

Bearsden Bear

Watching Lewandowski being denied twice in quick succession by the woodwork today brought back vivid memories of this game to me.

Aberdeen were a good side in these days, the current cup holders having defeated Celtic 3-1 in the Scottish Cup Final the previous season. In addition, they had beaten Rangers in the League 2-0 at Ibrox in October, with the unfortunate Colin "Bomber" Jackson (an Aberdonian by birth) having scored an own goal that day.

This game took place just two months after the Ibrox Disaster, and so the capacity was slashed to 65,000. I was in third year at school in Dundee at the time, but managed to get a 30p match ticket via a Rangers Pools agent. The media were predicting an Aberdeen victory.

I remember a guy in Queen Street station offering me two quid (nearly seven times the face value) for my ticket, but I refused to sell.

Anyway, to the match, which I watched from the Derry, near Passageway 12 in the North East enclosure. No goals in the first half, and in the second half we won a free kick just outside the Aberdeen penalty area, at the Copland Road end, so I had a really great view. Alex MacDonald, took it, and it smashed back off the bar right into the path of an advancing Colin Jackson. He headed it straight against the post - and back out the ball came again! Jackson met this second rebound again, but this time the ball went inside the post into the back of the net! Cue the goal celebrations (which had been aborted twice in the previous three seconds) and the Northern Lights were out! What a day!

To cap it all off, I had Jackson to score the first goal in "the sweepie" and everyone was laughing at me due to his own goal earlier in the season, so guess who had the last laugh!

I was only 10 but I can remember being at the game. If I remember correctly it was a brave header from bomber. Goalkeeper . Aberdeen defender or the goalpost it didn't matter to Colin that ball was going in that net. It was also before the Centenary stand and I remember that part of the stadium going absolutely bonkers.

I remember that game as well. My pal's cousin came down from Aberdeen a few days before. I'd never met him before, but the day of the game we left early to get to Ibrox. His ticket was for the Broomloan end turnstiles, ours for the Copland end, so we arranged to meet somewhere in the middle. I said to him if Aberdeen scored he'd better keep quiet. He said that wouldn't be a problem as he supported Rangers.

I remember that game as well. My pal's cousin came down from Aberdeen a few days before. I'd never met him before, but the day of the game we left early to get to Ibrox. His ticket was for the Broomloan end turnstiles, ours for the Copland end, so we arranged to meet somewhere in the middle. I said to him if Aberdeen scored he'd better keep quiet. He said that wouldn't be a problem as he supported Rangers.
Good to talk?

For some strange reason I remember this game, and the Rangers fans started singing ‘The Northern lights of old Aberdeen’ as of course Rangers won rather match.
I was a lad a tiny wee lad ….from Glasgow I may add.

For some strange reason I remember this game, and the Rangers fans started singing ‘The Northern lights of old Aberdeen’ as of course Rangers won rather match.
I was a lad a tiny wee lad ….from Glasgow I may add.
They sang "The Northern Lights are out!"

Back