MOTM Poll Rangers v Benfica - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
Ah well, maybe we won't.

If you had offered me that before the game I would be fine with a point. This is a team in the top 25 in Europe and we are mixing it with them.

8 and a bit years ago we had eight registered players before we started a game with a team who had a hedge along their touchline and we only got past them in extra time.

We are now where we belong
Probably a decent reflection of where we are now that folk are greeting about draws against a team like Benfica

The match thread is always a jam jar for roasters. They’re a top side who have just thrown mental money at a transfer window and have been lucky to nick a point against us twice.

We played very well, should’ve had a pen, roofe’s goal was a thing of beauty and Morelos was unlucky not to score.

Brains of Britain in here wanting defensive mids on

Aye on you go, who you having Jamie Barjonas or Ciaran Dickson.

We looked knackered most of the match we had no options for the system we want to play.

Draws a fair result tbh. We were not good enough in possession and gave it up too easy at times it led to us chasing the game which in turn fatigued us enough to switch off slightly for their goals.
Disappointed but not gutted.

Inability to make changes has cost us again. 2 up make a change, freshen it up. Ok no Jack or Aribo available but 90 mins with no subs...

We should win next week but these last 2 games gave been so frustrating the last 10 mins. Again feels like a loss.
Bar last season, we usually perform rather poorly in the second half of group stages.

Benfica are a very good team am happy enough with the point. Good thing about the cup game on Sunday is we can give a few of the boys a rest with the squad we have as I thought we looked tired at times played a lot of games recently with the internationals.

IMO we just tired and lost a bit of concentration. We could maybe have brought on Helander for his defensive composure and gone to a back five. Davis who had a decent first half looked out on his feet after an hour. Kamara had a good game and definitely saved Goldson's skin when he dawdled on the ball.

No, I don’t actually.
I’m struggling to see how game management can stop the type of goals they scored.
For example:
The first one we lost an aerial challenge the deflected a shot in.
How could you manage that out of the game?

Not going to comment either way but tired legs usually dictates a couple of things:

You defend 10 yards deeper than you should be or had been and,

There is little or no out ball when in possession in the back.

Their subs allowed a higher press that we couldn't cope with.

Really disappointed with again a drew against Champions League team. I thought we were sloppy in defence tonight which was strange.
Still unbeaten in 22 games we will probably go through next week. We won't play a better team until we get out this group. Are we top or 2nd. I thought we'd be top as we've a better head to head v Benfica.
I fancy us strongly to get through v Stand Ard next Thursday
We are top.

If we finish the group on the same number of points as Benfica we will remain above them as we have a better head to head record against them (we scored more away goals).

Not keen on this feeling of what on paper is 2 good results against a very good football team. Always felt the way the game was going that we would have went 1-1 quite soon before we got the second so easily could have lost that 2-1 but a winner from Liege softens the blow, the Tim's got pumped and when we capitulated 2 goals the last time to them we went and scored a barrow load of goals in the league. Disappointed yes but where we are still absolutely brilliant.

I've been critical of the gaffer not making subs in the past but not sure I'd agree with the multiple comments having a go at him - we had 0 midfield options to bring on tonight with 3 usual first team players unavailable. Alfie was a pest to them the whole match so no need to sub him, and Kent and Roofe were chasing down balls right till the end.

The only change that would have made a real difference would have been freshening up the engine room, and we just didn't have any alternatives tonight.

The workrate dropped off in the last 20 minutes which allowed Benfica to build more attacks. Understandable given how much running they had to do, but we should've made a couple of subs.

They were a top team but so are we. One point needed with two games remaining. We would have bitten your hand off to be in this position at the start of the group. The team from the east end must be so envious of us. Well done lads, heads up and we go forward to the cup on Sunday.

Disappointing in the end, but still a good position to be in overall. My only gripe is that I would have had Helander on at 2-0 up and would have played with 3 centre halves. I said that at the time, without the benefit of hindsight.

Sorry Mr Gerrard nowhere near good enough. That was on you and no one else tonight. A brainless, self destructive lesson in how to turn a victory into a draw in the last 30 minutes. Once fooled, twice shy, obviously not for you. You personally should be ashamed of your own performance tonight. IMO, you let your players down!
Shut up you man, absolute disgrace from you

No, I don’t actually.
I’m struggling to see how game management can stop the type of goals they scored.
For example:
The first one we lost an aerial challenge the deflected a shot in.
How could you manage that out of the game?
Just like the 99% rest of us think. Subs needed when we were clearly slowing rapidly and a few players startwd dropping deep. Every man and his dog could see it. Was fantastic until they brought on Fresh legs and we didnt. Why what were you watching ?

Sorry Mr Gerrard nowhere near good enough. That was on you and no one else tonight. A brainless, self destructive lesson in how to turn a victory into a draw in the last 30 minutes. Once fooled, twice shy, obviously not for you. You personally should be ashamed of your own performance tonight. IMO, you let your players down!
I bet he's not as ashamed as you should feel tomorrow in the cold light of day

I'm gutted but what a performance from us, yes i know we let a two goal lead slip but who in the league here is going to give us a game like that, no one, we are not the finished article but games like this helps us to be that.

Their subs and our lack of them cost us in both games. Kent was running on fumes towards the end.
How much has silly mistakes cost the club over the two games through Gerrard refusing to change the two games against them, both games comfortable 3-1 and 2-0 last ten minutes, In both games Benfica made substitutions that have changed the games, when all we had to do was close the games down and shut them out, I really fail to understand why Gerrard can't see Benfica coming more and more into the game and putting us on the back foot and just standing doing nothing to change things. Thank %^*& they never had their full team tonight.

80 mins in you could see a repeat happening of the last game. We got hugely anxious. Gerrard should have had barker on doing runs to pull the game up the field but didn't act and I think that's possibly his biggest flaw as a manager.

Still immensely proud of the team. We didn't deserve a point from either game.

See their old spunker of a manager wasnt too gracious at the end. Gerrard not happy with his reaction.

Away yo go, you moron.

Any criticism of Gerrard is extremely harsh, we were in no danger then they scored out of nothing. Maybe we should have made changes at 2-1 but all 3 front players were still a threat and we did not have our usual midfield options.

The equaliser was quality, when they move the ball at pace it is very difficult to defend.

Frustrated and a bit annoyed.

The team ran themselves into the ground, scored a brilliant goal, got denied a stonewaller then just ran out of steam.

We had to use our bench, it was obvious. If the manager didn't trust a forward player, the change was Helander as a 3rd centre back and just make ourselves harder to play through.

It does show how far we have come, as the opposition are Champions League group quality.
And we will qualify.

Benfica flooded their right side and that is where all their dangerous attacks came from. They clearly targeted Barisic in that last 25 minutes who didn't get much support defensively.

I felt that once again we thought that we could see it out comfortably by sitting back but if you give a team like that a glimmer they will up their game.

No lessons learned tonight but I am still happy to take 2-2 against a very decent team.

This is us against Benfica

tenor.gif

Lets be honest we all would have took both results to benfica. Jack and zungu out so who do you take off? Hagi isn't really the type for defensive work and alfie was still causing their defence trouble so i dont see what itten would bring.

Back