MOTM Poll Rangers v Benfica - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
Sorry Mr Gerrard nowhere near good enough. That was on you and no one else tonight. A brainless, self destructive lesson in how to turn a victory into a draw in the last 30 minutes. Once fooled, twice shy, obviously not for you. You personally should be ashamed of your own performance tonight. IMO, you let your players down!
We have some right fannies as fans. If he is one.

Easy when chasing goals, far better and far more experienced managers than Gerrard will be loathe to making changes when leading and defending a lead. We missed Jack that's for sure. Itten, Hagi, Barker don't appear to have the trust of the gaffer just yet for these massive games

pay over 7 million for Hagi & Itten and doesn’t trust

Again against a top European team, that felt like a defeat. Our club have progressed so much since we got rid of the spivs in the boardroom and brought in Steven Gerrard.

In days gone by, we’d have celebrated a result like this so that shows how far we’ve come.

It is utterly bizarre to not make any subs in 90 mins of European football, unless your entire bench is kids. I just can't get my head round how Stevie couldn't see we were tiring.

I'm sorry but throwing it away like that, especially after last time is pathetic. As soon as the first goal Benfica went in you could see the second coming clear as day.

Oh, and that penalty non-award was a complete disgrace.

We should have beat them twice, but the big picture is we’re in a great place to qualify out the group.

Sorry Mr Gerrard nowhere near good enough. That was on you and no one else tonight. A brainless, self destructive lesson in how to turn a victory into a draw in the last 30 minutes. Once fooled, twice shy, obviously not for you. You personally should be ashamed of your own performance tonight. IMO, you let your players down!
get a grip

Considering we've been defending so well, that's five goals we have conceed to Benfica and IMO all of them bad goals. That's the real disappoint ment for me and really this group should be won by now.

I know Gerrard could have made changes but I didn't hear anybody crying out for subs at 75min when we were 2 up.

Two draws against that team goes down as a good outcome but it's been two real sickeners the way both games finished.

Disappointed to throw a 2 goal lead away again but the referee does his job we get a pen as well, also inches away from.going 3-1 up with the keeper saving the Alfie shot that fires on to the bar.
Gerrard should have made a few substitutions to get fresh legs on.
However...
Still.unbeaten both domestically and in Europe and they are a Champions League level team.

Maybe Hagi could have been an option, freshen things up, even Barker to be an outlet and stretch Benfica a wee bit in the last 15 mins or so.

Some of the comments on here are way over the top, I've seen the words "disgrace" and "garbage" amongst others. Of course to concede two late goals is a tough one to swallow, their second you just have to hold your hands up as it was an amazing bit of play from them.

We are in an outstanding position to qualify from a tough group, and have went toe to toe with a team who have spent over £100m in recent times. Bit of perspective eh?

Just like the 99% rest of us think. Subs needed when we were clearly slowing rapidly and a few players startwd dropping deep. Every man and his dog could see it. Was fantastic until they brought on Fresh legs and we didnt. Why what were you watching ?
Mate you do know professional players can last a full 90 minutes, it was 2 sloppy goals. Subs wouldn't have stopped those errors

Absolutely gutted. Why no subs made after Roofe goal? Yes we’ve drew twice with Benfica but it’s two game which we should have won. Hopefully we can learn from this and carry on.

Good we got a point and only need a point to qualify, but anybody could see the players were out on there feet and we needed subs on. The manager has to start learning from these mistakes.

We can't stand back and allow teams to play around with the ball like that in our box, especially talented players like those of Benfica. I'm disappointed, but everything's relative, its honours even over the two games. As long as we heed the lessons and do better next time.

We're nearly there, just one more effort.

Good performance, disapointed with the result but we're playing some real good stuff at the minute. We tired from all the pressing we were doing and could have done with a couple of subs. Injuries hurt our depth in midfield, but I'd have even took Arfield off for Barjonas and told him to run himself into the ground for 15 mins to give us some energy in the middle of the park.

But some people need to have a word with themselves, some massive overreactions on here.

He’s done it before. He almost seems to get caught up in the emotion of the match. Hopefully that doesn’t take too much of a toll on a few of our team.

I can’t understand why his coaching team aren’t telling him we have to get fresh legs on. We played well but the game went the same way as the first and we did nothing to change it up or break it up with subs late on. Can’t grumble too much though.

Thats a good result. Was nothing like the game management issue of the first game, they opened us up, as did we them. Two draws against pot 1! Well done!

They should have been playing against a constant fouling 4-5-1, Walter Smith style formation upon us scoring a second goal. Play interrupted, wasting time, multiple subs, etc etc. ..... we do that after going two up and we win that game. That’s the game management that’s missing.

I actually cannot believe that happened again! I'm fecking raging- I don't mean that we didn't play well but the result is a big kick in the stovies!

This mentally challenged Cow and sister of Skeletor should be absolutely nowhere near interviewing a Rangers captain
she is in a job because she is his brother. She chucked it for a few years to start some shitey lifecoach business. Turns out people dont want lifecoaching from stupid wee cow who only have a job because their brother is connected.

Last edited:
I’m confused as to why Gerrard didn’t use his bench to try see it out but some folk on this thread need to remember that it was also Gerrard’s team that got us 2-0 up in the first place.

It's not that two draws against a class side like Benfica, should be sniffed at, but rather it is the manner of the four points frittered away in the two games that is disappointing.

The last two Euro results in the end up have felt like defeats. Draws we would probably have taken beforehand.

Now there will be the argument that this is a measure of how far we have come.

What Benfica and Leverkusen before them have shown us, is still how far we have to go.

We never make it easy for ourselves do we? Never have and probably never will.

Not dismayed at the overall performance, and this is a good side, but sick at the end result.

And you sir, need to go and lie down.

I not going to get annoyed about that, I would have took that result before the game, just gutted after being 2 up.
Well held our own against a top side.

This “Benfica are a great side” is beginning to get on my nipple ends.

Are we not allowed to beat certain teams, or what?

That linesman is an absolute disgrace. Blatant double handball penalty and a dangerous free kick denied.

Bunch of dirty bastards as well.

We should be able to see the game oot with a 2 goal advantage. Fuckin just done me for 280 in to the bargain !

Back