MOTM Poll Rangers v Benfica - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
Stonewall penalty missed by linesman, but that's 4 points dropped over last 2 games. Got to stay switched on for full 90 at that level. Good sign that we are disappointed with draws home and away against Benfica - they're a quality side. Though don't kid ourselves we are competing consistently against top European teams just yet. Last game they played most of game with 10 men and tonight they had about 4 or 5 top players missing. We are moving in right direction. And the manky mob got pumped again so all is good.

One thing for certain, I’m done with these match threads.

Some of the shit posted from, supposed Rangers fans has done me!!
You and me both, I've had to use it before for updates so try and give some info to those not fortune enough to watch the game. Horrible comments

We can't stand back and allow teams to play around with the ball like that in our box, especially talented players like those of Benfica. I'm disappointed, but everything's relative, its honours even over the two games. As long as we heed the lessons and do better next time.

We're nearly there, just one more effort.
No, away goals win! :p

Benfica are a very, very good team.

No disgrace drawing home and away.

Exactly.

There's some amount of posters on here who are complaining about no subs coming on.
I must admit that I thought Barker might have come on for Kent.
If Benfica had scored two goals after we'd brought subs on, there would be a similar outcry about "why did he change it ? / why did he bring off so-and-so ?"

We could have won that.
However, Benfica probably deserved their point.

We drew with them home and away, and will almost certainly qualify from this group.

All of the pundits going on about Gerrard's "lack of experience" might be well-minded to actually look at what we've done last season and this season in Europe, and how much revenue it's brough in.

This draw is no disgrace at all.
Several years ago we'd have taken draws home and away with Benfica as fantastic results.

£800k thrown away over these two games.

Huge for us.
On the bright side, assuming we qualify for the next stage, I think we get 100% of the Scottish pool for that stage rather than splitting it 45/55 with the other mhob like I think we did last season.

No, I don’t actually.
I’m struggling to see how game management can stop the type of goals they scored.
For example:
The first one we lost an aerial challenge the deflected a shot in.
How could you manage that out of the game?
Absolutely spot on. We were fantastic and it was a great game to watch. Two great Benfica goals and a bit unlucky with the bounce on Tav.

Sorry Mr Gerrard nowhere near good enough. That was on you and no one else tonight. A brainless, self destructive lesson in how to turn a victory into a draw in the last 30 minutes. Once fooled, twice shy, obviously not for you. You personally should be ashamed of your own performance tonight. IMO, you let your players down!
Are you mentally challenged trying to troll us in revenge for Kerryfail?

If you are a bear then please give yourself a fucking shake

All in all a half decent result and I would have taken two draws when the group was called but we should have had a stonewall penalty and that may have changed things a bit.

Folk having a proper go at this team after matching Benfica over 2 legs need to get a bloody grip. Look at the start we've made to this season.

Folk on this thread are a perfect example of why sections of our support are toxic and negatively impact players from the stands. We're top of our group after 4 games, and virtually guaranteed to progress, unbeaten all season - support the players, support the team!

Definitely think we should have freshened it up but let's not kid ourselves benfica are a good team .
We threw the result away. The midfield needed freshened up - were dead on their feet and chasing shadows. Manager done nothing. As he often does in this situation.

We threw away a 2 goal lead with 10 mins to go AGAIN and did nothing in response.

Stonewall penalty missed by linesman, but that's 4 points dropped over last 2 games. Got to stay switched on for full 90 at that level. Good sign that we are disappointed with draws home and away against Benfica - they're a quality side. Though don't kid ourselves we are competing consistently against top European teams just yet. Last game they played most of game with 10 men and tonight they had about 4 or 5 top players missing. We are moving in right direction. And the manky mob got pumped again so all is good.
The Linesman was absolutley shocking tbh

Sorry Mr Gerrard nowhere near good enough. That was on you and no one else tonight. A brainless, self destructive lesson in how to turn a victory into a draw in the last 30 minutes. Once fooled, twice shy, obviously not for you. You personally should be ashamed of your own performance tonight. IMO, you let your players down!
Geez peace man.

Disappointed we didn't win but that's how spoilt we've become with our form in Europe,we expect to beat everyone.
When in reality that's a good point against a very good side,and another step to the knockout stage.

We're all going to say the same thing tonight. Subs.

But, we've twice gone toe to toe with a side of genuine quality. And should have beaten them both times. We are improving game by game and there isn't a side in Europe who would view us as an easy 6 points in the group stages of any tournament. That's phenomenal progress from... well, Progres.

I thought we were slightly unlucky tonight but we still should win however overall I'm delighted with our position in the group and I agree with what Steven Gerrard is saying right now.

Just ran out of steam against a very good side. Wouldve been nice to have got the ball out from the midfield a bit quicker, but they done a great job shoring up the defense. Still managed to put two away, soo close.

Wasn’t much to bring on. Hagi might have done ok, but really there wasn’t much on the bench
The fresh legs alone could have made the difference. Everyone put in a hard shift. Kent looked knackered in the last 20m. His work rate was a lot higher than it usually has to be. They used 4 subs, and scored twice in the last 15m.
Maybe it wouldn't have mattered, but I think a couple of subs would have helped our cause.

We were unlucky not to win this game and the last but we won’t play many better teams that Benfica this season and we went toe to toe with them and remained unbeaten

Get a grip. Go back to your own forum.

Just remind me how much did they spend in the summer? Good result! Gutted to lose a two goal lead but they are a champion league level team

Back