MOTM Poll Rangers v Benfica - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
I’ve just come straight to this page.
excellent two points.
big disappointment, but that’s normal.
looked a bit tired? Or a really good side playing really good stuff.
Anybody else see a resemblance between both sides in the playing style?

I'd kill to have a Silva in our team, the man is a phenomenal footballer. He's the player that makes Benfica tick, instrumental in both their goals and a constant threat.

Benfica had a comeback we would have been proud of, so fair play to them. They have top drawer players, one of their bread and butter players probably cost more than our entire team.

2-0 up and looking leggy got to make a sub to freshen things up whether we have better coming on or not they went for it and got rewarded Gerrard bottled it with subs frustrating when u can see we need a sub for fresh legs and management can't.

Leggy going into a tough venue for us at Falkirk.

Why do we never do anything easy for me this was worse than last week.

I'd kill to have a Silva in our team, the man is a phenomenal footballer. He's the player that makes Benfica tick, instrumental in both their goals and a constant threat.

Benfica had a comeback we would have been proud of, so fair play to them. They have top drawer players, one of their bread and butter players probably cost more than our entire team.
That boy looks a certainty for Barcelona, top class.

They should have been playing against a constant fouling 4-5-1, Walter Smith style formation upon us scoring a second goal. Play interrupted, wasting time, multiple subs, etc etc. ..... we do that after going two up and we win that game. That’s the game management that’s missing.
In hindsight, but I mean just around brain fart that arfield did last time against 10 men.

They are a decent team, and the game was 50/50

2-0 up and looking leggy got to make a sub to freshen things up whether we have better coming on or not they went for it and got rewarded Gerrard bottled it with subs frustrating when u can see we need a sub for fresh legs and management can't.

But you're still extremely satisfied right?

Anyone answered who Stevie shouldve put on to shore things up ?

Ciaran ? Barjo ? Hagi !?

Could've put Helander on pushing Balogun into DM role but obviously you really don't want to be splitting up the CDs at that stage.

Possibly Barker for Kent as well.

I'm not complaining btw, just what was running through my mind towards the end.

Anyone referencing game management as a complaint is a special degree of fuckwit. I understand a lot of people don’t really appreciate the true dynamics of football and what’s at play but I’m not sure how you excuse that level of ignorance.

Awct it’s a bit disappointing but there’s not another team in Scotland plays Benfica home and away and comes out the other end unbeaten, and I include Celtic in that

At last through all the wingers,you would think benfica at home and tonite are not allowed to step up a gear and fight back well said mate

Gtf! What difference does it make when you score or concede. We scored as many as them in both games.

We have twice given away 2 goal leads against this team in a few weeks. If you are happy with that, you must have different expectations than me as a Rangers fan. The difference is, we now need to put out our strongest team out next time too, when we should have been able to rest key players before critical League games.

Whilst disappointed with losing 2 goals near the end, overall I think we should take more positives from this game. I actually thought that it was an excellent game between two very good sides. They came onto a game towards the end and to be honest I was concerned that they might snatch a winner. With regard to the substitute debate, that's where I thought we missed Ryan Jack and Joe Aribo. For me Steven Davis was immense but he could have done with being replaced by Ryan Jack for the last 15 minutes and Aribo could have come on for Kent. Overall however we're still in a very strong position to qualify and shouldn't be too despondent after another strong European performance

We have twice given away 2 goal leads against this team in a few weeks. If you are happy with that, you must have different expectations than me as a Rangers fan. The difference is, we now need to put out our strongest team out next time too, when we should have been able to rest key players before critical League games.
You’re not very aware are you. A special type of person?

1 through 11 we were excellent again. Frustrated that we didn’t learn from the first game against them though. Finding it hard to understand the responses being dished out to those suggesting we could’ve done with a couple of subs. It was clear half the team had ran themselves into the ground and that we were having major problems down the left side. There was an air of inevitability about the last 15 mins or so.

However, progression is still in our own hands and we’re flying domestically so still a happy bear.

Aye, right

I was going to post on the match thread at the time but was engrossed in game, when Glen Kamara got booked he stopped putting tackles in to stop getting sent off. IMO that just changed the game slightly in their favour.

Gutted but delighted at the same time
Restricted them to very few chances
Lost 2 poor goals but the penalty would have changed the game for me
But looking at the bigger picture our progress in Europe has been massive
If this wasn't the group stage we would have just put out Benfica

We bit of poor defending & a bit if bad luck at both goals but maybe we are keeping our luck for when we need it

WATP

Defenders were getting caught on the ball because Kent, Morelos and Roofe had put in a big shift and simply couldn't make those same runs like they could in the first half.
How times have changed. Is Gerrard really getting abused for not putting on Brandon Barker????

Some folk have just been gagging for a reason to turn on the manager since last season just as there are some desperate for Tav's form to dip just so they can get the pitchforks out. Actually, I'm just waiting on the first poster to decide we dropped those points because he isn't shouty enough

I’m sitting here with a happy grin on my face,2 score draws v Benfica I would have bit their hands off for that before a ball was kicked,They were a great team and we competed with them over the 2 games,The way the scoring went was a killer but that’s football for you,The handball penalty incident was a barsteward but that was another example of football not being fair.

Another sore one tonight from being in an excellent position. We’re good enough to beat teams of Benfica’s calibre and we need to figure out how to manage these games better if we want to go further than last season.

Regardless of the quality of opposition, it should never be acceptable for us to fail to hold onto a 2 goal lead with 13 minutes to go.

Credit to Benfica for such an attacking game. Gutted we didn't get the win but what a shift our lads put in. (We were unlucky not to get that penalty for handball I think)
They are a quality side and as mentioned a few posts back they are the best team we have played under SG.
One game at a time as things are progressing very well.
Well done Rangers, we are getting worldwide coverage now with this Management team and squad.

Are you mentally challenged trying to troll us in revenge for Kerryfail?

If you are a bear then please give yourself a fucking shake
No I a Rangers fan who expects his manager to influence the game when it turns against us. Gerrard didn’t, he is not above criticism. His players gave him everything, when they needed him tonight, he gave them nothing in return. Fact.

Back