Match Thread ** Rangers v Celtic - 12:00 Sunday 11th - Sky Sports **

We need to set up differently in OF games. The front four that works v smaller leagues isn't practical.We got killed in midfield.We need an extra man in theirs. I'd maybe go 3-5-2 in OF games. Overall though it's back to the drawing board in summer.We need two centre-backs,a high profile experienced holding midfielder and a striker. We knew we couldn't defend,Morelos doesn't finish chances and we're weak in defensive midfield and it got shown up today.The current eleven had the other chance and they showed they didn't have it so new players will have to come in

I'm very disappointed. But thinking rationally, we have improved drastically since earlier this season. We're still not good enough to beat them, but if we can keep improving we soon will be. We need to get a couple of proper centre backs in the summer, that's now our weakest area.

Good performances today from Docherty, Tavernier, John and Candeias.

Alves done ok.

Murphy was disappointing.
Windass didn't offer much apart from his goal.
Goss doesn't have it in him when a game turns into a battle.

Cardoso played his first game in about 3 months so not going to start blaming him.

Morelos had to score that. He's a striker, the rest of his preformance doesn't mean much when he misses a chance to equalise in the last minute from a yard out.
On a few occasions Docherty covered for Tav and broke up Celtic attacks. Unfortunately he couldn't make it over to defend at Celtic's third goal, and neither did Tav.
I'm going to be critical of Tav and Candeias. While their attacking play on the right was good, the balls they put into the box at the end of the move were ineffective. All their skill and hard work amounted to little because neither could find our attackers in the box. Time after time Celtic were able to mop up their final ball.
When Celtic went down to 10 men we couldn't take advantage of our extra man. That was obvious immediately. Celtic made substitutions that worked for them. We didn't react. Murty left it to well after 70 minutes before putting Cummings on for Goss. And we were already a goal behind by the time Cummings went on. Murty has to be smarter with substitutions. Putting Cummings on was a reaction to going a goal behind while holding a numerical advantage. Substitutions should have been made earlier, and we only used two over the game, one of them forced. Unless I missed one, but I don't think I have? WTF Murty!
We could have won the game today. Our inability to be efficient with ball into the box, and in front of goal cost us. We weren't outmatched, we allowed Celtic to win because we fannied about making subs, and we fannied about up front instead of scoring goals.

We wanted to see our first 11 batter them.

The centre of defence prevented that.

Celtic overloaded the middle all game.

After the sending off it was criminal.

Celtic no press on the flanks. Let Tav or whoever go 1 on 1 and the rest of you run for the goal.

No. 3 of them needlessly passing and then a cross to 1 guy in the box.

A crying shame

Alves, Tav and Cardoso should never get another game. Absolutely rank!!!

giphy.gif

We had the chances to win the game, even though we weren't at our best. You don't win big games missing those type of chances.

Before the game, we thought we could win the midfield battle, unfortunately that was where we fell short.

I think the turning point was when Bates was forced to go off. I think he would have reacted quicker to their last two goals.

We also turned the clock back with the quality of the balls into their box.

FFS. Was this deliberate? I didn't see what's in the picture. I thought Bates maybe landed awkwardly or something. This explains why a stretcher was needed.

Was the follow through from his shot, deliberate? Probably not tbh

Question:

Danny Wilson in place of Cardoso today. More solid defensively?
Ffs,Wilson is gone, mate. You're as well asking if Greig, Forsyth, Gough would have made us more solid at the back. We have to deal with the here and now and look to where we can strengthen going forward.

Ffs,Wilson is gone, mate. You're as well asking if Greig, Forsyth, Gough would have made us more solid at the back. We have to deal with the here and now and look to where we can strengthen going forward.

Wilson is gone.

That was the club's choice.

A choice that looks to have left us with an absolute bomb scare of a centre half who arguably helped cost Rangers the game today.

It was a poor decision to leave the club reliant on Cardoso as back up.

People are making too big a deal about the 10 men to be honest.

I said when he got sent off it probably wouldn't have too much of a bearing. You see it all the time where teams go down to ten men, rearrange , make it hard for the other team to break them down then hit them on the break.

I'm more concerned about our defence and the fact our ten million pound striker continually misses ridiculous sitters.

I agree going’s man up in an overrated advantage.

There are positives.

Murphy is a huge upgrade on what we had.
Morelos bullied 2 centre backs.
We were intent on winning and don't fear them.
John is a very good full back.

But losing to those slimeballs means overall it is negative.

Windass is a luxury against teams with a good midfield.
Our final ball into the box is too often straight to the first defender, especially Tav and Candeias.
Cardoso is simply too weak to ever be a good centre half.
Murty is far too passive, he only makes changes to react when things go wrong instead of looking to positively change things.
And Morelos misses sitters far too often and strikers who do that aren't worth big money.

Bottom line is a team who haven't won anything found a way to lose while a team used to winning found a way to win.

Absolutely heart breaking.

Hav
There are positives.

Murphy is a huge upgrade on what we had.
Morelos bullied 2 centre backs.
We were intent on winning and don't fear them.
John is a very good full back.

But losing to those slimeballs means overall it is negative.

Windass is a luxury against teams with a good midfield.
Our final ball into the box is too often straight to the first defender, especially Tav and Candeias.
Cardoso is simply too weak to ever be a good centre half.
Murty is far too passive, he only makes changes to react when things go wrong instead of looking to positively change things.
And Morelos misses sitters far too often and strikers who do that aren't worth big money.

Bottom line is a team who haven't won anything found a way to lose while a team used to winning found a way to win.

Absolutely heart breaking.

Windass cannot start against them at Hampden. Hopefully Dorrans can step up and get some game time before then.

We’re not that far off beating them. Desperately pissed off with result - they are jammy bar stewards. We will beat them in Cup game - it’s definitely coming. Smug Brenda wasn’t so smug during that game.

Was always going to be difficult with Pedros two first choice centre backs on the field. If morelas had hit that ball one centimetre to the right it would have been in off the post and all the post mortems would have been so different.
Yes it’s heartbreaking but we are closer to them, they know it.

We absolutely f ucked that for ourselves today.How in the name of f uck did Alfredo miss that and Windass was good as a man down.

Who was the fcking prick wasting his time giving the Celtic keeper the ball when it was 2-2.? Saw a few guys having a go at him. Idiot.

End of the day, we aren't good enough, yes we battered them but they scored more goals than we Did, absolute criminal.

We need a goalkeeper who can play at the top level and a striker who can score goals, both of which we don't have.

End of the day, we aren't good enough, yes we battered them but they scored more goals than we Did, absolute criminal.

We need a goalkeeper who can play at the top level and a striker who can score goals, both of which we don't have.

Wes never had his best game for us, he wasn't alone.

Gutted at the result,heartened by most of the display.
We need 2 solid CB in the summer,No question.
As for Morelos?Still a young lad, nowhere near an accomplished striker yet.
I thought he played quite well,chances aside.
Massive strides made from the beginning of the season.

We battered them? Absolute rubbish.

We played well in patches with 2 really good goals apart from that we looked second best.

51% possession and 6 strikes on target to their 7 is not battering them.

We clearly still have work to do.

We have closed the gap a lot, but sadly the gap still remains and probably will do until we can compete with them financially (at least in the same ball park).

As for Morelos he should have sold to China. Cummings playing the rest of the season and we have our transfer budget for the summer. Idiotic decision.

Ffs FF meltdown .

Cardoso not played a minute, one ball over the top does him. It was always going to be tough. I don’t blame him completely where was Alves?
Morelos, worked really hard, roughed them up, missed a sitter, but is still a player, some people on here want rid, FFS.

I said when he got sent off it probably wouldn't have too much of a bearing. You see it all the time where teams go down to ten men, rearrange , make it hard for the other team to break them down then hit them on the break.

I'm more concerned about our defence and the fact our ten million pound striker continually misses ridiculous sitters.

Sounds like someone who knows football.

People watch a game and go along with the narrative football commentators try and create.

We drew 2-2 with them at Ibrox ( when they had 10 men ) and they managed to control the under , under Smith.

As usual didn’t agree with pretty much all of what Walker said on commentary but he was right about one thing - we’ll never have a better chance to beat them.

They had everybody behind the ball after the sending off. A blootered ball and a defending mistake saw us lose a goal.
Another feeble effort in attack saw us fail to equalise.

Thoughts on the game.
Murty shat it and gave them way to much respect. Should have broght on Cummings the second they went to 10.
Rogers put on a forward for a forward when down to 10. Way more adventurous.

Our midfield were very poor. Let Leggo and Ncham run the show.
The possession stats on Sky 51% - 49% in our favour against 10 men tells it all.
We feckin blew it.

Back