Match Thread ** Rangers v Celtic - 12:00 Sunday 11th - Sky Sports **

Don't think there was much between the teams tbh. Make no mistake, the gap in quality has been reduced significantly in a short period. Ultimately a bit of bad luck in terms of injuries and diabolical finishing cost us.

It was a big ask to rely on Alves and Cardoso who have barely kicked a ball in months. Rogic's goal was a decent strike in fairness but the 2nd and 3rd goals are laughably bad from our point of view.

mentally challenged team

DDV

Ajer
Boyata
Siminuvic

Forrest
Ntcham
Brown
Mcgregor
Tierney

Rogic

Dembele

(Has been given to appropriate people)
I forgot that this actually happened.

So Murty had their team sheet and still got overran at times in the midfield?

I'm not sure what to think here.

Honestly I put this down to the defensive pairing of this match , cardoso is way way off in terms of quality he doesn't move well and doesn't help if the the other CB is as slow . Mccrorie for future CB nevermind DM. Morleos has to be benched for a while he's starting to miss sitters every week now and must learn more is expected than that. Heads up.

I think we gave them too much of the ball when we were 2-1 up, dreadful defending to let them score from a long ball but hey ho.

For me the real crime was going so attacking when they went down to 10 men, it was just begging for us to be hit on the break. If we would have kept a tight shapre and moved the ball about chances would have came..

I still feel positive about the future despite the defeat, they wont score goals like that every week..

Disappointed with the result of course, and we've only ourselves to blame today, this was the opportunity and we still came up short. However, I think we played well and we weren't totally dominated. People wanted to see fight and the team going for it, we did that. Other than a 10-15 minute spell at the end of the first half we were the better side. I think since our return to the top flight that's been our best performance against them.

They still have an edge of quality over us in every area of the park with the exception of full back. The difference in quality varies position by position, their CMs are significantly better IMO and that's where you see the biggest difference, their attackers and CHs marginally better than ours. We need to secure two or three quality players in the summer if we want to compete next year.
Disappointed with the result of course, and we've only ourselves to blame today, this was the opportunity and we still came up short. However, I think we played well and we weren't totally dominated. People wanted to see fight and the team going for it, we did that. Other than a 10-15 minute spell at the end of the first half we were the better side. I think since our return to the top flight that's been our best performance against them.

They still have an edge of quality over us in every area of the park with the exception of full back. The difference in quality varies position by position, their CMs are significantly better IMO and that's where you see the biggest difference, their attackers and CHs marginally better than ours. We need to secure two or three quality players in the summer if we want to compete next year.

Their Centre Halfs are very poor - Boyata almost sold the game for them - hope he plays in the semi.

We failed to close out the game due to being too wasteful in decent areas, I.e the final third. Too many bad decisions in possession and poor deliveries into the box.

We’re not so good that we can afford to be wasteful in those areas.

They had quality up front, we were lacking, plus one or two of our players didn’t perform to the level expected.

Be interesting seeing the highlights.

Thoughts on the game.
Murty shat it and gave them way to much respect. Should have broght on Cummings the second they went to 10.
Rogers put on a forward for a forward when down to 10. Way more adventurous.

Our midfield were very poor. Let Leggo and Ncham run the show.
The possession stats on Sky 51% - 49% in our favour against 10 men tells it all.
We feckin blew it.
I agree in principle, we shat the bed.
We should never be losing against ten men at home. I think Murty should have played Cummings from the start.
I mean, come on. Dropping a guy who has just scored a hat trick and is champing at the bit to play.
Murty messed up here.

Candeias game giving the ball away on the edge of the box to set up the break for their third.

We can’t make mistakes like that and expect to come out on top against a decent Celtic side.

Hear me out but I would stick with Murty... we never looked like controlling the game despite an early goal. If we could have freed up wages for cardosa or alves I like to think we would have gained a real cb that we need. I like the developing team I am seeing but we are constantly waiting for the wheels to come off and need some patience. We never bossed a game we should have and looked bereft of ideas for most of it. I know this doesn't scream confidence for murty just now but I see reasons to be optimistic in the future. Hope lego muncher drops the soap and boyata piles in

I'm for sticking with Murty ,as well
People forget Murty is a young inexperienced coach/manager and this is his first senior post and i appreciate this is a serious problem for some fans and he is here till the end of the season but what he has shown over the last few months, to my mind, is very encouraging and today was a kick in the balls because of the vast improvement we have seen in the team and for the first time in years we went into todays game with high expectations

The time for analysis will be at the end of the season

i felt their experience was the main difference they have players who have been course and distance before we have a very very young side. The big test is how do we react to today players like Docherty and goss have to learn from it and be more aware in the semi. The gap has closed but don’t forget the tims have millions of pounds of talent in their side even if we don’t agree with them we are really just 4 months properly in to this project. Let’s not over react I seen better Rangers teams lose bigger games to them in the past and come back from it.

I’m trying to be positive about today’s performance but can’t deny how utterly sick I feel that we came away with absolutely nothing. Really wish we were playing midweek to get this result off our minds.

Today was a reality check and now we must beat them in SF no ifs or buts.
It's maybe the reality check that a lot of our fans needed.
We have been banging in goals against utter shite , but losing them as well.Rodgers actually made the point that the last decent side we faced was hibs, and got beat.
Morelos. Think back over the last 4 or 5 games. How many times has he been one on one with the keeper and the keeper wins? His work rate and build up play is good but he is not a natural finisher imo.

We just failed to turn up for the 2nd half today, totally sickening. If we are honest though, they played better with 10 men than they were with 11. That's down to experience. Hopefully our guys learn from this today. We are getting closer to them, no doubt. A strong CH, ball winning midfielder and genuine finisher in the summer should see us really challenge next season.

Despite today, I think we can win the semi.

It's maybe the reality check that a lot of our fans needed.
We have been banging in goals against utter shite , but losing them as well.Rodgers actually made the point that the last decent side we faced was hibs, and got beat.
Morelos. Think back over the last 4 or 5 games. How many times has he been one on one with the keeper and the keeper wins? His work rate and build up play is good but he is not a natural finisher imo.

We just failed to turn up for the 2nd half today, totally sickening. If we are honest though, they played better with 10 men than they were with 11. That's down to experience. Hopefully our guys learn from this today. We are getting closer to them, no doubt. A strong CH, ball winning midfielder and genuine finisher in the summer should see us really challenge next season.

Despite today, I think we can win the semi.

Spot on assumption mate can’t disagree

A devastating loss. Started so well and then recovered well to take the lead again after the disappointment of their equaliser. Their second was such a soft goal to lose, a lump up the park and Dembele outmuscles Cardoso. They looked dangerous every time they reached the final third and McCrorie was badly missed in the holding role. I thought today would be Morelos's day and I cannot believe he missed that chance. He was a handful today and caused them a lot of problems but you have to take your chances.

I am far from a happy Bear tonight, but Im not distraught, I said elsewhere that heads dropped (the fans included) after the second equaliser. As a result in the binary world that is FF folk who were world beaters yesterday are now shite.
Personally I saw plenty to make me feel good. Tav, John, Murphy and Candeias were all big pass marks.
I wouldn't knock Alves or Cardoso, they have both been out of the action for months, what a game to be thrown into.
I thought The Doc showed all the signs of whats he is going to be but his partner had a bad day at the office.
Watching it back Windass did not have a bad game and Morelos bossed their CBs.
For me if (and its all about ifs) Windass or Doc? had got on the end of the Morelos cross at 2-1 we would of smashed them.
Our manager should of changed things after the sending off, especially after BR had shown his hand.
I think thats 2 in a row now where we should of won.
55 is coming, and soon

Don't think there was much between the teams tbh. Make no mistake, the gap in quality has been reduced significantly in a short period. Ultimately a bit of bad luck in terms of injuries and diabolical finishing cost us.

It was a big ask to rely on Alves and Cardoso who have barely kicked a ball in months. Rogic's goal was a decent strike in fairness but the 2nd and 3rd goals are laughably bad from our point of view.

This post sums it up perfectly.. we've closed the gap but there's definitely room for further improvements

I forgot that this actually happened.

So Murty had their team sheet and still got overran at times in the midfield?

I'm not sure what to think here.

That was the correct players but the wrong formation.

So not even much help at all tbh.

The semi final is a must win, end of and we will win.
Today, a few of our players were not playing to their highest level and we could and should have won, 2 sitters missed and a piece of awful defending for their 3rd.
Also, GM must play the guys in form, Cummings should have started with or for Morelos.

Our midfield is where the game was lost.

Struggling to come to terms with the Goss substitution.

Him and doc were always going to struggle in there totally outnumbered.

Holt should have been in for Windass from the start IMO. The ball totally bypassed our midfield for large parts of the match and for Murty to substitute one of our cms it is totally baffling at best.

Sickener. Main turning points for me were Bates going off and AMs missed chances (mon tae fk Alf!). Looked like we lost the nerve after their third and seemed leggy towards the end. Thought overall we were worth a point.

Roll on the semi final.

Just watched the morelos sitter back again there and being at the game i didnt realise how bad a miss it really was.

its just another to add to his 'miss list', no harm to the lad but i think murty has to start with Cummings in the next game.

Just watched the morelos sitter back again there and being at the game i didnt realise how bad a miss it really was.

its just another to add to his 'miss list', no harm to the lad but i think murty has to start with Cummings in the next game.

As soon as they went down a man he should have thrown Cummings on.
100% sure he would have buried that.

As soon as they went down a man he should have thrown Cummings on.
100% sure he would have buried that.

Murty should have been proactive at he sending off as they were there for the taking, if cummings had been in morelos position i too believe he would put it away.

he failed to change things at killie away waited to long hibs at Ibrox and got it wrong yesterday left it to late, Cummings should have been on sooner and holt on for Goss who was lost

A day to reflect and it does not feel any better, as much as anything it was such a big missed opportunity to get this burden off our back and move forward into future games knowing we can beat them.

We are definitely improving against the other teams but we are still a bit short in midfield and defensively. I think we have a number of players that will be good players and a couple that were good players and we need a few more like Murphy that are good players now. The likes of Davis or MacArthur in the engine room would make a big difference.

Another window in the summer like the January one and we will start to really cause them issues. I think the injuries to Jack and McCrorie have really cost us because we do not have anyone that can play in front of the back 4 which is our big weakness

At the end of the day they are, arguably, our 4th and 5th choice centre-backs (behind Martin, Bates and McCrorie). Something like 90 minutes between them in the last 3 months. It was always going to be a huge ask of them as a partnership sadly. I don't expect to see Cardoso again and Alves will be off in the Summer if someone will have him.

The ecstasy and the agony.

The build up was amazing and the throbbing expectation of the fans was something to behold when it exploded at the first goal.

Then we played in a manner so typical of the way we have played at Ibrox this season.

Hiding behind closed curtains on a Sunday night again. :(

It was a big ask to make the game count for something in the SPL title final destination. Next game against them is probably more massive and am sure we'll be just as excited, but we'll need fortune on our side.

The thing is that while we looked close to them after MW's team in the cup under Delilah - they upgraded both manager and players the following season & were able to afford it
While we've improved- especially since MW & Caxhina - & we can upgrade again in summer - they are still going to have more dosh than us & afford higher priced players
We therefore are going to have to buy very shrewdly and get real gems that are affordable - & hope we get a manager up to levels of tactical & motivational genius to get 55
I still don't rate Brenda & as per other posts we really beat ourselves again on Sunday- but we're not going to be 'like for like' cash wise for some time & need to do this by savvy more than straight 'head to head' player quality IMHO

Back