MOTM Poll Rangers v Celtic - 15:00 Sunday - Viaplay Sports

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Both have had one off games. Beale's selection and tactics were worse than Gio's far worse. Given we played 120 minutes the midweek before the SC semi and that went to 120 it gets worse the more you look at it.
However, Beale is the manager now and today should be a lesson to him and his mistakes never repeated.
I can see your point except the last sentence.

Beale was here for three years. So, he knows all about the pressures and demands of this fixture, so it would appear to me that today was a monumental fc_uk up on his behalf. But yet again it is the fans who pay the price in the workplaces tomorrow until the heat gets cranked up again before the next visit to the cesspit.

I can see your point except the last sentence.

Beale was here for three years. So, he knows all about the pressures and demands of this fixture, so it would appear to me that today was a monumental fc_uk up on his behalf. But yet again it is the fans who pay the price in the workplaces tomorrow until the heat gets cranked up again before the next visit to the cesspit.
I think he misplaced his trust in players, Kamara, Lundstram and Kent in particular today. He needs to learn from that and trust the players he brought in.

Lundstram
Kamara
Kent

= Not existent

Goldson
Davies

= pulled all over the shop, genuinely amateur defending at times

Watching that game today, it was the most frustrated I have been watching us in a long time. Just kept shouting 'press them'. It was so obvious what needed to happen, but it didn't happen till it was too late

Did Beale really make a comment about players not turning up until 30 mins into the game after the game today?

If so, that is utterly bonkers. Considering he never turned up to begin with and took him 60 minutes to waken the %^*& up. Unreal levels of arrogance. I am good with our manager being arrogant but would need to be close to being correct also.

Still, I can't bring myself to listen to him after today so don't know for sure. Just seen a few comments on social media about it.

Mate if you want to pile on because of hisn1st lose, and it wasn't a good one I'll grant you l, then you fire on.
Think you're in a minority of one. Every other person on this board today agrees with me. He got it badly wrong today and should have known far better. He was here before for 3 years !

We surrendered the midfield starting with Lundstram and Kamara. Hindsight is great but it should have been Cantwell, Raskin and Tillman or Jack.

It’s the same fucking story line every time so why don’t we learn.

We need to sign another midfielder similar to Raskin who can defend and attack, we need to replace Morelos with someone who can do what 2019 Morelos can, and we need a right winger.

Lots of work to do. Hopefully fund are made available.

From first whistle to going 2-0 down the full Rangers team played like losers.

We awarded them the level of respect you’d expect to see with Barcelona.

Man for man we are a better side and I truly believe that. Never got stuck in. Didn’t put in the effort or the hard yards where it mattered.

We had the ability to play through them in the first half and shat the bed trying the long ball time and time again.

From first whistle to going 2-0 down the full Rangers team played like losers.

We awarded them the level of respect you’d expect to see with Barcelona.

Man for man we are a better side and I truly believe that. Never got stuck in. Didn’t put in the effort or the hard yards where it mattered.

We had the ability to play through them in the first half and shat the bed trying the long ball time and time again.
Sorry but honestly can't agree man for man we are a better side. Our midfield were owned today for the vast majority of the game. I don't watch them unless they are playing us but each midfielder can take a ball under pressure. The boy hatate would walk into our team. The other Japanese lad with the bald head is absolutely shit but works so hard. I would take roofe over any of their centre forwards but I've lost any patience with him and his injuries.

how often do we buy players and then not play then in big games,
cantwell and raskin were supposed to be better than what we had
but beale plays lundstram and kamara, so what's the point
bonkers to me why they never played from the start

Obviously we all know the team selection was poor, we all knew it. However, not to change it at HT is what pissed me off the most! You've just watched your team for 45mins and can't see we needed to change things. The team did start bright 2nd half but then we went 2-0 down and that was always going to be difficult to come back from.

I actually thought the front 3 pressed well but the back up was non-existent. Tillman was trying but he was too slow to get to Taylor most of the time and Callum Macgregor and Hatate kept finding space to take the ball with Lundstrum & Kamara too deep.

There wasn't much in the game I thought. They had more chances but most of them were late on when we were pushing for the equaliser.

Raskin & Jack were much better middle two when they came on. Cantwell didn't really get going but had some nice moments. The Colak sub probably done more harm than good. Morelos was fired up after scoring.

I'm not taking to Beale, I just don't rate him high enough and yesterday confirmed it for me.

Kyogo is a very clever player who's movement causes so many problems. Which is why you have to stop the deliveries.

Celtic create so many goals down their left side. We lose so many goals from our right.

Yesterday we set up to contain Celtic from the start - but that meant we rarely threatened.

As the first half wore on you could see Taverier starting to lose it with Tillman and Fashion as they failed to track back. It was obvious to most that after 30 minutes there needed to be a change - Beale waited.

Then we lose a goal - and he still waited.

Then we start the second half with no change. And then concede a second.

Only then did Beale make the changes required.

Tillman wasn't fit. Lundstram wasn't fit. Beale blew it.

Celtic win again and we look lost.

I always try to leave it overnight to gather my thoughts before posting after a defeat.

I thought we were for most of the game, the better team. Again, let down by sloppy defending - and it’s something we’ve seen time and time again for probably the last decade - a ball played across the 6 yard line and tapped in to an empty net.

Upfront, we badly need a complete striker. Morelos is a great player but he’s the sort of striker who’s strong and really good when there’s service, but we lack someone who can create their own chances. As much as he’s disliked on here, Kenny Miller was that sort of striker - and the chance that fell to Colak late on, I reckon Kenny Miller woulda had that in the back of the net, and it’s that sort of player we were missing yesterday.

Raskin and Cantwell did well when they came on. A lot of people saying they should have been on sooner, however I would disagree- at half time, despite being down 1-0, we were the better team. The issue wasn’t in midfield, but in defence. We should have come out guns blazing in the second half though, but instead we allowed them to control the opening 10 minutes and got hit with pretty much a copy and paste version of the first goal.

I’m still fully behind Beale and as much as it pains me to admit it, the scum had a strong team on yesterday and if Gio were in charge we’d have seen a cricket score.

We got caught out again twice near the end and it was sheer luck that we didn’t concede a third (and maybe a fourth) but in my opinion that’s because we were pushing for a goal and left ourselves open to counter attacks…however if we’d sat back and stayed balanced, we’d be criticised too. We pushed forward but as I said earlier, the lack of a complete striker hindered us.

If I’m taking my blue tinted glasses off, I need to say that Ryan Jack is past it. It’s unfortunate since he’s clearly a huge Rangers man, however I felt like he slowed us yesterday and left us short on firepower in midfield. I can never quite make my mind up on Kent - he’s a great player on his day, but clearly Celtic knew he’d be running in from the left, beat a man, drop his shoulder and take a shot. All they did was drop an extra man behind and Kent couldn’t get any good shots off.

Sakala has touches of brilliance but looked overconfident yesterday and nothing worked for him. I felt Tav had a frustrating game too, so we were weak down the right hand side.

Disappointing result all round and I’m frustrated because it was our own doing. What’s done is done, all we can do now is hope the coaching staff really press on the problem areas and make us stronger. I still think a huge rebuild is needed come Summer.

Rangers really have broken my heart more times than any woman ever could.

Taken me 24 hours to respond as I didn’t want to make a knee-jerk response.
All I can say it was a painful day yesterday, not only football wise but I got absolutely pished and fell and smacked my pus on the pavement. I look like I’ve done 10 rounds with Tyson Fury.

The lack of going with runners in midfield is down to the manager as he picked players who don't seem able to do this.
I don't see a great future for Beale as this is basic stuff at any level of football.

Last edited:
Like a few others, I waited 48 hours to come on here.
My vote for MOTM was Raskin. That says it all that a sub gets my vote. Of course McGregor rolled back the years, and was a well deserved MOTM winner.

MB said the same team started at Ibrox (and Hearts away I think). But, 2 guys (MT&JL) had limited training that week, and were expected to match their 110% effort and movement gameplay. The midfield 3 were so narrow, they were able to walk the ball right into our half. We were struggling to get over the halfway line.

So, Beale has a huge job on his hands. Initially to at least win the SC and stop a treble. (Although I will never concede the league at this stage, but we are massive underdogs for that. Primarily due to no other team being able to lay a glove on them). Hearts away in the QF may provide a surprise result though.

Moving on, I love McGregor but this year is surely his last. We need a mobile young keeper that can come for crosses and corners. I would say that this could be our highest priority in the summer.
We need to hope Yilmaz and Souttar provide real competition in defence.
Tom Lawrence, Hagi, Raskin and Cantwell I have high hopes for. Rotating with Tillman and Lowry for me.

Kent and Morelos (?)
Kent maybe will improve further under MB, but I think he'll want to leave. I could be wrong.
Alfie, I'm 50/50 on.

We need 3/4 minimum first team quality signings in the summer. As well as a GK.

Centre mid
Right wing
Left wing.

Reflecting on this game and some others over the years it seems we have a striker problem, in terms of depth, availability, and quality. Beale has been justifiably been criticised for his choice in midfield, but he had no such luxury to do anything with the forward line. The priority in the summer has to be that.

Reflecting on this game and some others over the years it seems we have a striker problem, in terms of depth, availability, and quality. Beale has been justifiably been criticised for his choice in midfield, but he had no such luxury to do anything with the forward line. The priority in the summer has to be that.
Reflecting indeed. Its taken almost a week before I was able to listen to any sort of analysis of the game such was the infuriating and frustrating feeling I had from watching it unfold.

I think the Morelos change was overly questioned. He did well to grab the equaliser but he had not played well other than that and his fitness has been lacking for a long time. Changing him wasnt a bad idea and Colak is a good Striker if the Team actually get him the ball in and around the box.

Raskin and Cantwell shouldve started as has been said by almost everyone. They are clearly a country mile ahead of our other players in terms of ability and, irony overload, they brought the energy Beale said might be lacking in their own games given a lack of mins over recent months. A terminal mistake and despite his scrambling to explain it away, hes smart enough to realise that Im sure.

Kamara might not be the player he was but I can see the logic behind picking him given that he is a neat and tidy player who rarely gives the ball away. Im guessing Beale felt the big game would bring out the best in him and he might at least help Rangers retain possession in a match often running rampant where control of the ball is key.

The selection of Tav/Borna is always a concern and their inability to focus and stay mentally sharp at key moments again flared up but given the options they were always going to play.

Lundstrum being picked was probably the greatest misjudgement and went furthest in itself to costing Rangers. Beale did not select Raskin apparently concerned about a lack of sharpness yet picked a guy who cannot run or pass a ball as is. Whatever is wrong with John Lundsturm he clearly needs dropped and rested until he recovers himself. Picking him for this game in particular was a dreadful error and one which cannot be explained away.

I thought a Cup Double would at least end the season on a high and create a good platform for Beale in the Summer. Now thats shot to bits and hes going to struggle to create anything remotely similar based on whats left to play for.

The less said about the apologies, the unacceptables and the thatsonmes the better.

Rangers and we deserves a whole lot better than to be treated like idiots.

Bad enough the Players and Manager made themselves look like idiots last Sunday.

Reflecting indeed. Its taken almost a week before I was able to listen to any sort of analysis of the game such was the infuriating and frustrating feeling I had from watching it unfold.

I think the Morelos change was overly questioned. He did well to grab the equaliser but he had not played well other than that and his fitness has been lacking for a long time. Changing him wasnt a bad idea and Colak is a good Striker if the Team actually get him the ball in and around the box.

Raskin and Cantwell shouldve started as has been said by almost everyone. They are clearly a country mile ahead of our other players in terms of ability and, irony overload, they brought the energy Beale said might be lacking in their own games given a lack of mins over recent months. A terminal mistake and despite his scrambling to explain it away, hes smart enough to realise that Im sure.

Kamara might not be the player he was but I can see the logic behind picking him given that he is a neat and tidy player who rarely gives the ball away. Im guessing Beale felt the big game would bring out the best in him and he might at least help Rangers retain possession in a match often running rampant where control of the ball is key.

The selection of Tav/Borna is always a concern and their inability to focus and stay mentally sharp at key moments again flared up but given the options they were always going to play.

Lundstrum being picked was probably the greatest misjudgement and went furthest in itself to costing Rangers. Beale did not select Raskin apparently concerned about a lack of sharpness yet picked a guy who cannot run or pass a ball as is. Whatever is wrong with John Lundsturm he clearly needs dropped and rested until he recovers himself. Picking him for this game in particular was a dreadful error and one which cannot be explained away.

I thought a Cup Double would at least end the season on a high and create a good platform for Beale in the Summer. Now thats shot to bits and hes going to struggle to create anything remotely similar based on whats left to play for.

The less said about the apologies, the unacceptables and the thatsonmes the better.

Rangers and we deserves a whole lot better than to be treated like idiots.

Bad enough the Players and Manager made themselves look like idiots last Sunday.
Good points there.

Back