Rangers v Celtic: A Stats Based Comparison

JMTrangers

I've made a point for a while that I think 'Angeball' is massively overhyped and that their team have padded their stats out with some strong wins against the sitting ducks in the league (St Mirren and Dundee) whilst struggling to register many clear cut chances, even at home, against the stronger sides in the league.

As we know, Rangers have now scored 3 more goals in the league. Here is how the sides compare in their last 5 league meetings.

Total shots:

Rangers 109 (21.8 per game)
Celtic 104 (20.8 per game)

Total shots on target:

Rangers 42 (8.4 per game)
Celtic 27 (5.4 per game)

Average possession:

Rangers 67.4%
Celtic 72%

Goals scored:

Rangers 17
Celtic 10

Celtic have been at home for 3 of these 5 matches, whilst Rangers have been away.

So, despite Rangers arguably not playing free-flowing football (until the win against Dundee), we have averaged more shots and shots on target per game. The bulk of Celtic's possession is between their back 5, moving the ball from side to side, whilst Rangers are more direct but much stronger at winning the ball back.

7 of Celtic's 10 goals have been scored by Jota or Kyogo. Rangers have had 9 different goalscorers in the last 5 (not including own goals).

Don't believe everything you read in the media. We've been hard on ourselves because we've set the bar so high; Celtic are in a worse position than last season but clearly have far lower standards.

I've made a point for a while that I think 'Angeball' is massively overhyped and that their team have padded their stats out with some strong wins against the sitting ducks in the league (St Mirren and Dundee) whilst struggling to register many clear cut chances, even at home, against the stronger sides in the league.

As we know, Rangers have now scored 3 more goals in the league. Here is how the sides compare in their last 5 league meetings.

Total shots:

Total shots on target:

Celtic 27 (5.4 per game)

Average possession:

Rangers 67.4%
Celtic 72%

Goals scored:

Rangers 17
Celtic 10

Celtic have been at home for 3 of these 5 matches, whilst Rangers have been away.

So, despite Rangers arguably not playing free-flowing football (until the win against Dundee), we have averaged more shots and shots on target per game. The bulk of Celtic's possession is between their back 5, moving the ball from side to side, whilst Rangers are more direct but much stronger at winning the ball back.

7 of Celtic's 10 goals have been scored by Jota or Kyogo. Rangers have had 9 different goalscorers in the last 5 (not including own goals).

Don't believe everything you read in the media. We've been hard on ourselves because we've set the bar so high; Celtic are in a worse position than last season but clearly have far lower standards.

I made a comment that for all the hype of "Angeball" and Celtc inventing football and being better than Brazil in the 70s, they sure do miss a lot of goals and scrape by with one goal in games (and offside in the most recent).

I know the win is what matters and the comeback I got was "well you guys have won some games by 1 goal".

The difference is we dont talk about being the best attacking force in the world or playing the best football of any team in the world.

They, and the mhedia, have indeed hyped up their game. And within 4 months some teams have sussed out how to counter it.

Total shots:

Total shots on target:

Celtic 27 (5.4 per game)

Average possession:

Rangers 67.4%
Celtic 72%

Goals scored:

Rangers 17
Celtic 10

Great analysis

As you say it's hard to compare like for like, what with home and away and teams played.
Also taking into account at least 2 wins celtic got.

The ping pong fluke a few days ago. And the offside goal..

I'll say even if at the end of the day that all averages out, rangers have the stronger potential.

Solid team, that finds form
Against a team trying to buy/build

In gio we trust

Watched a little of some of their games. Have noticed how their players 'hit the deck' very easily when the opposition win possession from them.

Is this what 'Angeball' consists of? Looks like it.

The wee Japanese horror is hopeless at it right enough, but somehow isn't called out by our useless SFA officials.

The difference is we dont talk about being the best attacking force in the world or playing the best football of any team in the world.
I made a comment that for all the hype of "Angeball" and Celtc inventing football and being better than Brazil in the 70s, they sure do miss a lot of goals and scrape by with one goal in games (and offside in the most recent).

I know the win is what matters and the comeback I got was "well you guys have won some games by 1 goal".

They, and the mhedia, have indeed hyped up their game. And within 4 months some teams have sussed out how to counter it.
I’d say a big difference is also the fact we’ve not been playing well and had a few levels to go up. Have they?? Wouldn’t say so

Aye but they're the passing kings of europe remember.

I have watched a lot of their games this year, imo they are not very good.

Without Jota and Kyogo they are bang average, unfortunately a lot of our league is rotten but i reckon they will drop points this month without Jota,probably today.

Total shots:

Total shots on target:

Celtic 27 (5.4 per game)

Average possession:

Rangers 67.4%
Celtic 72%

Goals scored:

Rangers 17
Celtic 10

Cracking post mate

I genuinely think (outwith some of the contributers to a match thread) that Rangers fans can actually comment on what they have seen and call out what is bad about our play. Scraping a 1-0 victory is important over a season, but we aren't generally happy about it if it has been a sloppy performance.

That mob are either sugar or shite though. They're either Peps Barcelona or they're throwing sharks at the team bus and chasing random fans cars about the car park. Stats? We don't need no stinking stats. If it wasn't for the Masonic referees the league would be won don't you know?

I hope they continue to paper over the cracks, because when they're downfall comes, it's a beautiful thing to behold :))

Good post OP.

Also, the key stat that our Celtic faithful media fail to ignore when praising Angeball to the high heavens: Rangers lead the table by 7 points.

And, Rangers have qualified from their Europa League group. Celtic have not.

An outsider listening to media in Scotland would believe neither of those facts though based on the narratives prescribed to the two teams.

They can’t keep up Angeball for an entire season, they will be knackered by Christmas, and once injuries kick in due to the intensity of their play and training, they will be dropping like flies.

Total shots:

Total shots on target:

Celtic 27 (5.4 per game)

Average possession:

Rangers 67.4%
Celtic 72%

Goals scored:

Rangers 17
Celtic 10

Okay, I'm speaking only for myself, but I reckon more than a few will agree with me.

Most of us, as in 90 odd % of us at least do not believe anything the filth's acolytes and cheerleaders in the press have to say about their team.

As was so absolutely charmingly and stonkingly put by a poster on here about John Hartson's commentary during their defeat in Leverkusen. 'When their second goal went in, the sound was like a pig stuck in a cement mixer.' (Or words to that effect)

What ails us, or had been, was our own failings, which were all too obvious. I don't think everything now is cut and dried, and everything in the garden is again rosy but you have to say there has been a gee-up over the last few weeks. The drive and determination is back to a certain extent, that cr@p at Easter Rd however, tells us there's still a ways to go, but yup, it's good to be back on the right track.

Last edited:
Good post OP.

I think AP only had 6 weeks to work with players in pre-season. That, coupled with the late arrivals in the window (Jota, Carter Vickers and McCarthy) will see a lot of injuries over the coming weeks. There is no way the players are conditioned enough to play the way they do week in week out.

By all accounts they are lucky to maintain tempo for any longer than the first half.

Another 3 of the Gallowgate Galacticos missing this afternoon, let's hope for more dropped points.

I’ve watched plenty of their games this season and will say one or two things positive (for them) first but the sting is in the end of the post.

1. They do play some high intensity good stuff. That cannot be denied. Their 2nd goal in Germany was sadly a great goal.

2. They do play the game at a tremendous pace and really force the opposition to match their pace or be blown away (presuming they take their chances).

3. They aren’t shy in throwing bodies forward.

BUT and it’s a massive BUT;

1. They are very reliant on a handful of players - Hart, Juranovic, Jota, Mcgregor and The diver.

2. If they aren’t winning by a goal or better after 30 minutes they get dragged into deep waters late on often as they can’t sustain that opening pace.

3. They don’t have the squad depth to maintain their style of play. Injuries, poor pitches and burnout could absolutely floor them over a league campaign.

4. Their defence is very inexperienced and has a number of kids already in it before injuries.

5. Point 3. Leads to space all over the young back line and better teams will put pace in wide areas and rip them on the break.

6. Teams in Scotland are already starting to work them out a bit. Hearts clearly played to sit in for 45 then attack once the game slowed down.

Why do Rangers fans use the celtc fan mhedia invention of ‘angeball’.

They actually believe that portaloo has revolutionised football and brought in a completely different way of playing the game, the more it gets used the more it’s accepted. I’m stunned at the primary school level of thinking from the celtc mhedia with this.

Let them embarrass themselves by using it, we shouldn’t give it any oxygen other than to question them about what he does differently, which is nothing.

Their fast high pressing game is nice to watch and in some areas we could learn from it. Often I think our keepers could release the ball quicker.

As has been said already this style of play is diffucult to sustain across the season and does lead to injuries. The Scum dont have a good enough squad for it.

Some of their first team are quality. Id take Jota and Kyogo in a second. We can beat that fanny diving thing out of him.

As it stands with our defensive being more organised from back to front we are still in very good position.

Good read and I've said the same like many on here. They are heavily reliant on 2 players. George Michael and the diver. Take them out the equation and they will be bang average. The only shame is that the January window is approaching and they can now strengthen and I'm sure they will with £30m carrot at the end of the season. Just hope we keep most of our team together and buy better than them.

Their style of play is high intensity based, it’s now taking its toll on players and their squad quality is thin, house of cards.

That mob are one draw or defeat away from panic stations again. Today could be that day.

That mob are one draw or defeat away from panic stations again. Today could be that day.
This should not be underestimated. No matter how well they might be perceived to be playing, should they remain 7 points behind - or reach that point - then the pressure on them will be huge. Just as it would be for us were they to cut the gap to 1 before the New Year game. That's life in the SPFL. I think we are better suited to cope with such a setback and we would come through it. I'm not sure they are, or could.

Today has 0-0 written all over it.

Last edited:
This deserves a wee bump in the midst of the back-slapping associated with yet another brave and inspiring win for the Gallowgate Galacticos, this time against the Real Betis B side in a meaningless encounter...

Total shots:

Total shots on target:

Celtic 27 (5.4 per game)

Average possession:

Rangers 67.4%
Celtic 72%

Goals scored:

Rangers 17
Celtic 10

I think Jota and Kyogo have kept them in the hunt. I am surprised their squad is only 4 points behind. With these two now out i just cant see where the goals will come from? If they get another draw before Santa comes and we keep winning we will go into 2nd Jan match 9 points ahead and strong favs to win again. If by 2pm on the 2nd we are 12 points ahead, they are needing snookers before Burns Night. Psychologically it will kill them. A League Cup win will save Ange this season even if we pull away and win by some distance, they will say its progress in a rebuild but he will feel pressure if we win all 4 Old Firms.
We have a team of winners, a strong, fit available squad and a top manager.
I am unsure what they are just now? Ange just looks like a Poundland Rogers, squad is thin on talent and has no depth. Loans are their best players. Kyogo looks good against dross, but looks like a cold wind will rule him out this winter

Total shots:

Total shots on target:

Celtic 27 (5.4 per game)

Average possession:

Rangers 67.4%
Celtic 72%

Goals scored:

Rangers 17
Celtic 10

Good work that, cheers.

Back