Match Thread **Rangers v Celtic - Match Thread - Sky Sports**

Well said Pedro in the post match.

Highlighting for the second game running at Ibrox that lady's front bottom Brown has elbowed someone off the ball.

Pedro gets it which is why we need to stick with him. He needs both financial and fan backing.

Head meet Brick Wall.

Pedro's the managerial equivalent of Charles Green. An absolute fraud but because he comes out with some soundbytes the gullible buy into it.

Banning green boots was just Pedro's version of Rangersitis.

It's great that Pedro talks so much about "winning," it's a real shame he's not very good at delivering it.

We are just an inferior team. I wouldn't say we played badly, that is just how good we are.
Probably the crux of the matter.

The ref provides some convenient reflection from the simple fact we're still nowhere near them in a footballing sense in any area of the park.

Tav was awful today, I can't remember one tackle he won, or one cross ball he prevented coming in.

Good footballer, but will never be a defender. We must have a young player that could come in and improve our defence.

As for Pedro, I would be inclined to give him one more transfer window. A long way to go, but we have certainly improved compared to last season.

Morelos has wasted more attacks than the referee has mate. He'd be as well playing in a Celtic shirt with a number 5 on its back.
He was offside too many times (although at least one was incorrect) but for me that shows that he plays on the shoulder. He'll get caught offside a lot but when he times it right he'll be one on one with the keeper. Just a shame he didn't manage it today.

Should have had a penalty, put himself about, could have scored had he been a split second quicker. Terrible service into him.

I think he was one of our better players.

Looking for dorrans today to try and stamp authority over the midfield area.

Just never turned up along with others right enough!

Pena was miles off the pace and it's starting to look like he doesn't want to be here, hope I'm proved wrong though.

Second half was atrocious, we backed the team for the first 45 to the hilt & they come out half asleep?

Stood too far off & when the chances came couldnt take them, will be the story of the season.

Thought Pena managed to keep Brown off the ball at points which was a big reason for the 0-0 at half time the moment Miller came on he had a free pass.

Can we please stop comparing stats for us against them and them against others FFS.
There is no comparison to them playing us and playing other teams.

Much improved today I thought. Given we had 3 starters out and a new defence we did well. Definite pen and a different game. Yes they were better but that changes everything. Thought Jack was excellent and Windass had excellent first half hour. Other than that midfield had chances to go through them and didn't. We need someone who will batter into tackles in midfield. McCrorie highly promising debut. Shite goal to lose. Miller finished. We are 3 good first teamers away from decent side.

Peña? Lard-ersed embarrassing waste of money!
We were playing with 10 men in the first half and in the second till he went off!

Just back. I thought we rode our luck a bit in the first 10 minutes after a poor start. After that we gradually clawed back into it and were at least competing and felt we were well in it at half-time.

The second half we started terribly and for me we led to our own demise with some of the lackadaisical defending. Once we lose the first the whole atmosphere changed and it was always going to be tough to get back in it.

As for the yahoos in our Broomloan stand why oh why are we suffering that mob right behind that goal.

In from the game. Had some thoughts on way home.

Without even reading the thread there will be Pedro knockers out their box. We are better than we were. The Glasgow Derby is now more competitive than it's been for a while. If we had got first goal it's a different game.
Couple of thoughts...
Referee can have no justification for denying penalty.
Bad decisions have cost us points this year.
NOT ONE decision has went in our favour this term.
Wes's distribution / kicking was woeful
McCrorie had an excellent debut
Hodson had a torrid day but tried like F@ck
Windass did much better than expected.
Pena I have defended but was a man down today
They should have had 3 booked before morelles
Bad mistake defensively gifted them a goal and then we were always chasing it.
Disappointed in candeias massively.

Analysis from pedro will be interesting as I think he set us out to negate them and did it apart from a bad mistake that cost a goal.

We need Walker in january and we will make up points and be a clear and much closer second. WE WILL NOT be 30 points behind the fb's this year.

Much improved today I thought. Given we had 3 starters out and a new defence we did well. Definite pen and a different game. Yes they were better but that changes everything. Thought Jack was excellent and Windass had excellent first half hour. Other than that midfield had chances to go through them and didn't. We need someone who will batter into tackles in midfield. McCrorie highly promising debut. Shite goal to lose. Miller finished. We are 3 good first teamers away from decent side.
this is the best post on this whole thread. we are closing the gap. another cple of windows and better players it's game on.

Seeing bears come out with patter like "the better team won" winds me up to no end on days like this. Faux displays of sportsmanship towards a club who would happily cause damage to themselves just to get at Rangers. A club that are still actively trying to instigate "reviews" and legal action despite being told by top lawyers and the rest of Scottish football to get a grip and move on. A club that has absolute scum like griffiths playing for them that doesn't have an ounce of sportsmanship in his body.

The relationship between the clubs on the professional side has probably never been lower. The fans probably hate each other more than ever. Shoe on the other foot it would be the cheated, never defeated cry. But here we have our own fans giving it "the better team won." We have just been beaten by our rivals and the attitude is "oh well the better team won." Better keeping it to yourself and giving up to go watch Strictly Come Dancing or whatever other Saturday night TV competition is on. The day I call them a "better team" will be the same day I ask somebody on here to come and put me out my misery. F**k that patter.

I'm fu(kin gutted. If the Penalty decision was on the half way line it would have been a foul 9 / 10 times.
They have better players than us, and the result proves it.

I hope for the best for Pedro, but like others, not sure if he's a bullshitter.

How and Why they classless (unts get away with what they do after the game, I'll never know.

Crocker went out of his way to say that Morelos days caught offside 4 times in the first half ('seemed like more' was said right after) and how it was wasteful if him.

Dembele came in and was caught offside 3x in under 10 mins. All the chat was about how he's such a talent and rangers should be fearful.

Some players did not turn up today.
Hodson was poor.
Dorrans was nowhere to be seen when it mattered.
Pena was awful.
Tavernier as usual getting caught out of position.

The second half was piss poor, terrible defending for both goals, just sick of watching that shower of scum lapping it up in our stadium. It's happening too often. We were miles of them in midfield they were allowed to play the game as they wanted, we had very little in terms of ball retention. Dorrans has been a real disappointment for me, not once did he or Jack try and intimidate Brown. I thought these guys understood the game well enough to appreciate what had to be done.

I didn't see a closing of any gap, I saw our team look bang average, lots of effort but no quality whatsoever.

Gutted doesn't some it up that's 8 points behind that mob, and sorry Pedro but that isn't acceptable.

Some players did not turn up today.
Hodson was poor.
Dorrans was nowhere to be seen when it mattered.
Pena was awful.
Tavernier as usual getting caught out of position.

Tav, was IMO our best player, he handled Sinclair very well in the first half especially, didn't think Candeias did enough on that side. As for Hodson, jeezo such a poor defender.

We are just an inferior team. I wouldn't say we played badly, that is just how good we are.

We never played badly?

Look at the two goals, the one real effort at goal, the whole of the 2nd half, our slack and sloppy play, kicking the ball out the park, surrendering possession far too easily, showing them too much time, space and respects. Awful performances from Jack, Pena, Dorrans, Cardoso, Tavernier, Hodson...

They toyed with us all 2nd half.

They had enough chances to make the score line even bigger than 5-1.

We are hopeless.

Part of the problem today for me was standing off the unwashed,Not closing them down quick enough and allowing them to come forward and part of the reason they had so much of the ball, The final third is still a problem for me, There is just no cutting edge, We seriously lack the quality of two wingers who can take on players and beat them.

Thought Morales put in a good shift today up on his own and never stopped trying, But again when they were bringing the ball out they weren't being closed down, Morales was never going to do that on his own.

I thought Nemane given it was only a cameo appearance was and looked pretty good and would like to see the young lad given a start, He could make a difference in the wide area's, Looks confident and pretty direct.

As an aside if people think signing players like Walker and McClean are the answer to our problems, Then think again, The team needs far better quality than both of them, I also feel that we have wasted a good part of the near £10m we spent on players and i think for that kind of money we should have had much better quality than what we have.

You only have to look at what the unwashed paid for Sinclair and see the difference a player like him would make to our own team for, In my opinion the money we paid for Pena and Herrera would have been better spent on two British type players.

I admire all those who can analyse the game rather than make sweeping knee jerk reactions. Personally, I have to watch Orange demonstrations and British victories to finally realise that we may lose the battle, but we've already won the war! We may have lost, but jezzo we've won everything before

Aye righto. That makes me feel a lot better.

Second half was atrocious, we backed the team for the first 45 to the hilt & they come out half asleep?

Stood too far off & when the chances came couldnt take them, will be the story of the season.

Thought Pena managed to keep Brown off the ball at points which was a big reason for the 0-0 at half time the moment Miller came on he had a free pass.

Absolutely spot on regarding Pena. That was a thankless task he had today closing/blocking space when they were in possession, but he done it well. It showed when he went off.

We were beaten by the better side, simple as that. Our performance wasn't good enough on the day and all the injuries took their tole. Thomson as usual did us no favours but we knew that anyway.

Do folk still think the vermin are 'shite'? Make no mistake about it, they are a very good team relative to SPFL. Easily the best since O'Neil's team. Unfortunately the gap is somewhat exaggerated given we are in a transitional period. We have to accept it and embrace the challenge.

Well, I have to say there was very little positive out of today. We were beaten by a Celtic team on our own turf. Which isn't the end of the world considering our manager and players. However, the lack of fight from the team was disappointing to say the least.

Dorrans didn't even try until the game was nearly over.

Too much of the players looked like they've never played with each other. Passing balls into space where nobody was making a run - whether that was the runner or passers fault is up for debate. However, this shite about players gelling will only last so long before it gets incredibly tedious. They've been playing together long enough to be able to make a fucking pass or decent run. They were simply out of ideas.

The defence once again made a mistake that cost us a goal. Hodson took a fresh air swing at the ball that should never have got to the position it was in. It then slipped past two defenders to Rogic (who I don't think has been tackled once in any game against us) who scored. The 2nd goal was a combination of poor defending and poor goalkeeping.

The big pass mark went to McCrorie. Although involved at the 1st goal it wasn't his fault. Other than that he was absolutely solid and looked every part the kind of defender we're looking for in defence. Pedro cannot even consider dropping him (well, of course he could). Morelos did what he could considering he had very little support from Pena (who was shit barring a few little moves). Same goes for Windass - a couple of good moves but other than that offered nothing.

I don't think Celtic are anywhere near as good as they, their fans, the media or their utter c**t of a manager thinks they are but by %^*& they are better than us.

Best team won, and not having to reach top gear.
That said, after a terrifying first 10 mins, we me into it and at least made a game of it.
2nd half was pretty abysmal though. How we ever cleared the ball at their first I will never know.

Just got to accept it just now, a couple more winows needed to get more quality in.

Tav was awful today, I can't remember one tackle he won, or one cross ball he prevented coming in.

Good footballer, but will never be a defender. We must have a young player that could come in and improve our defence.

As for Pedro, I would be inclined to give him one more transfer window. A long way to go, but we have certainly improved compared to last season.

You should give up watching football.

Tav marked Sinclair out of the game for the first half. Once they scored and we tried to move forward he wasn't as good but saying he's awful is just ridiculous.

A tough day but anyone who thought there wouldn't be days like this for the first 2-3 years on returning to the SPL was kidding themselves. And this won't be the last time either unfortunately. There's still a fair sized gap to make up. As for Pedro, I think he needs to finish clearly 2nd in the league this season to keep his job - there should be no knee jerk reactions. I'm aware 2nd place is not good enough for Rangers generally but as I say, we are on the way back from the brink of extinction and we are making progress on and off the park. 55 WILL come, and will be all the sweeter for the tough journey.

In terms of our main failings, injuries in defence may have played a part but I think we're mainly lacking creativity in the final 3rd. The mhutants have Sinclair and Roberts compared to our Windass and Candeias.

Having said all that, let's remember at least we're Rangers fans and, win or lose, we will never exhibit the scummy behaviour of their fans and players.

Haven't heard anything in the media today about Rangers being under strength, So far i've heard shite about how the unwashed were poor today, How they didn't get out of 2nd gear... That's because had they won so convincing as the media would have you believe we wouldn't be hearing all this nonsense and that's how difficult they find it to give Rangers any sort of plaudits under today's circumstances.

Had we beaten them today it would have been a poor unwashed side who were decimated by injury's if they were in our situation with injury's.

To claim the unwashed only won 2-0 because they were below par or poor is nothing more than a backhanded slap in the face to Rangers.

Agreed mate I'm just back I listened to radio Catolica to hear Pedro's excuses. Roger Hannah said we should have signed Walker, McLean, Moult and Naismith said they have cost less been on less wages and would have stood up to septic far better. Can anyone really disagree with that? We ain't about to get billions invested so would that not be better than what we have now? The board as far as managerial appointments go and buying players have much to answer for.

Agreed mate I'm just back I listened to radio Catolica to hear Pedro's excuses. Roger Hannah said we should have signed Walker, McLean, Moult and Naismith said they have cost less been on less wages and would have stood up to septic far better. Can anyone really disagree with that? We ain't about to get billions invested so would that not be better than what we have now? The board as far as managerial appointments go and buying players have much to answer for.
Moult and Naismith should have been brought in rather than Herrera and Dorrans.

Second half was a debacle. We allowed them to bully us, outplay us and we seemed afraid to close them down. Too many of our players gave them too much respect, scared to leave a foot in. Even fitness looked suspect with some. Sick to the back teeth with those scum playing at Ibrox and taking the initiative.

Rangers aren't in any kind of shape to mount a serious title challenge right now.

In a one-off game, likely to be the league cup final, anything can happen. Over the course of a season this Rangers side will drop too many points against too many teams, and not just against Celtic.

Where to the club go from here? Need to decide pretty quickly exactly what needs to happen. The money spent during the summer doesnt look particularly great. Does the club bring in a new manager and allow him the chance to agree pre-contracts with signing targets? Or does the club back Pedro and his vision for the future?

It's arguable that the only signings who look genuinely convincing are Ryan Jack and Morelos. Big question marks over the rest of them bar Bruno Alves who hasn't been fit. It obviously takes time to settle, but thats possibly time that Pedro can't rely on to get things right.

Not that guys like Jamie Walker, Kenny McLean and Graeme Shinnie are necessarily the guys to win the title, but are Pena, Herrera and Dalcio? Today showed that there's still a huge gap between the clubs and it's arguable that it really hasnt closed any with Pedro's summer signings.

It's easy to disagree and impossible to prove one way or the other. But you do have to ask if these players would be on form, injury free and capable of effectively executing Pedro's tactics. Ifs buts and maybes.
I'm happy with the decisions the board and manager have taken. Foundations being laid now will be the building blocks of a successful future.

Sorry too burst your bubble-Pena was awful.

I have yet to see him have anything resembling a decent game

You’re not bursting my bubble you’re just proving you don’t know what you’re talking about

We obviously have great knowledge and understanding of all thing football! But, if you really think he did well today then we as a club and support are really in trouble

He was rotten in an overall poor performance

Last edited:
It's easy to disagree and impossible to prove one way or the other. But you do have to ask if these players would be on form, injury free and capable of effectively executing Pedro's tactics. Ifs buts and maybes.
I'm happy with the decisions the board and manager have taken. Foundations being laid now will be the building blocks of a successful future.

Sorry I disagree Pena Herrera etc. Are simply not suited to our game I stated many times our game is dire including septic. No question that Walker, Naismith, McLean and Moult would be better. As for how Perdo wants to play or his tactics not sure anyone knows what he wants. Said before he'd be gone by Christmas and I still expect that. Nice guy but out his depth.

The arrogance of people who tell us that if we don't like Pena we don't know what we're talking about hear this. The tims didn't even consider him today they simply shoved him aside. He is pish​

We at least put a glove on them today. Something we’ve not done in a long time. People forget how bad we were 12 months ago. Anyone who thought we’d close the gap in one transfer window is delusional no matter who our manager is.

We played better against the poets at least 3 times under Warburton/Murty with the players everyone says are shit than we did today under Caixinha and his much more expensively assembled team.

He was offside too many times (although at least one was incorrect) but for me that shows that he plays on the shoulder. He'll get caught offside a lot but when he times it right he'll be one on one with the keeper. Just a shame he didn't manage it today.

Should have had a penalty, put himself about, could have scored had he been a split second quicker. Terrible service into him.

I think he was one of our better players.
How often is this one on one going to happen? Once every 3 games? 5 games? how often?

Back