Rangers v Derby at Ibrox - no away friendlies again

It Is Old But Beautiful

Can someone explain what’s wrong with four home friendlies? All the money goes to the club and why would we play away friendlies when we have Europa League games? We also have a new pitch.

tazzabear

Pretty disappointed by this.

We play derby on 28th July at Ibrox. Club have confirmed it's the final friendly.

Would much prefer a decent trip.
I’m sure, when these fixtures are planned, the desire of the fan wanting a wee trip are way down the priority list.

rangeral

Can someone explain what’s wrong with four home friendlies? All the money goes to the club and why would we play away friendlies when we have Europa League games? We also have a new pitch.
It very rare to have that amount of home friendlies 1 or 2 yes

Also I am sure that the gate money is shared as the price has to be agreed with the opposition

Dempster

Also I am sure that the gate money is shared as the price has to be agreed with the opposition
Also the gate money won’t be a factor given that it’s only £15 father and son for the Oxford game for example

Will cover costs and that’s about it .

This is sensible though- no point travelling down south just for the sake of it. Four is maybe one too many though- three would’ve been fine . Given that we also have euro qualifiers to play .

rangeral

Also the gate money won’t be a factor given that it’s only £15 father and son for the Oxford game for example

Will cover costs and that’s about it .

This is sensible though- no point travelling down south just for the sake of it. Four is maybe one too many though- three would’ve been fine . Given that we also have euro qualifiers to play .
Tickets price are always decent for these games unless you have a big name then you having to pay additional costs

Is 4 friendlies too much - yes as you say maybe 3 max given our Europa League qualifiers

But it is about striking a balance and trying to get a perfect one

ScottXC

Not phased by the lack of away trip in all honesty. The club need to look at what's best for the playing squad. We don't want to be flying to a new place every week when 1 game won't mean anything & the other means an awful lot in the grand scheme of things.

Also saves fans money on the away trip, where they can keep the money they would spend and use it to go see us in Europe.

Sebrof61

Official Ticketer

Al for friendly the visiting team normally get paid a fee for playing the game

Walterego

Official Ticketer
Makes sense. Good warm up for the team and is a good day out for the Derby lads who have been very welcoming to our support down there whenever we’ve went. I know they will be made very welcome in the pubs and clubs and know a good few planning to travel up.

TPP

It’s often hard to get tickets for away games and travel during the week in the europa league. Jumping on a train/car/bus down south is a lot easier.

Also fucking derby. Doesn’t exactly make the mouth water.

insanicdrunk

Fans wanting a day out following the club to enjoy themselves, how dare they.

I'm sure fans of every club in Britain hoped their team arranged an away friendly. Only on here do people not understand why that is. Bunch of Debbie Downers!
More about fans wanting the best prep for the team rather than not wanting an away trip.

This is a big year.

yosser hughes

already booked tickets and made arrangements to be at murrayfield that day so will have to give this one a miss, will go to Marseille and Blackburn games, give the oxford game a swerve unless i am in need of a curer on the sunday morning after the walk, and head down the paisley rd

Lot of assumptions being made by folk who seem annoyed that there are people out there with different opinions to them.

1. I intend to go to whatever Euro away games I'm able to.
2. It's not "just a piss up". It's an opportunity to go to different grounds, see different places.
3. Plenty of Rangers fans from around England don't manage to get to Glasgow often, if at all, and it's good for them to get the opportunity when Rangers come closer to them.
4. It's an opportunity to raise Rangers' profile at a time when our league is viewed as being beneath League 1 in England.

If people have different views, fine. As I said in the OP, I'm a bit disappointed.

Blue Goose

Rangers wanted to play PNE in the Police said no way. It's the same situation at a number of clubs due to the stewarding and Police costs due to the volume of supporters we take.

songsofglory

More about fans wanting the best prep for the team rather than not wanting an away trip.

This is a big year.

There is no correlation between playing friendlies away and winning the league though. No one is wanting to hurt the team, just wanting the opportunity to enjoy a good away game.

Maxiglw

Understand some Bears unhappy about a booze filled weekend - and also our Southern Brothers who would get a chance to take their youngsters to see the Famous.

But as others have stated these are about getting match fitness and sharpness up for Season kick off

Also lets be honest, Rangers will get a major cash boost at a moment in the transfer market where it could help secure that extra player or a player with that bit extra.

Looking after No. 1

Echo_1

Good move from the club, unfortunately a good away trip for the fans is secondary at this moment, getting 55 is the goal.

Whatever it takes.

wee bud's pit boots

Tell me how travelling a few hours to the north of England differs from travelling a few hours to the north of Scotland.

What’s more important - having the players well rested and prepared for the qualifiers or the fans having a day out?
The same fans who could come out in their thousands this July to make a point to this rancid shower of vermin running this country into the ground.

Robert Marshall

Aye mate, there'll be plenty of Derby fans willing to drink them all dry. There's real excitement about this fixture, so many people desperate to experience Ibrox and everything that goes with it.
If you cam PM me contact details, I'll make sure they know their welcome.
Downside is they need to eat the pies:)

andrewmont1

Go to the Euro trips if yer that bothered about a swally.

The players rest time is far more important.
Geez peace. . Derby away day £100. European away £500 plus. Reality is most fans cant afford to go away and spend that. You do realise a lot of guys on here earn 20 grand a year? An away day in England is always welcomed.

MSF

Geez peace. . Derby away day £100. European away £500 plus. Reality is most fans cant afford to go away and spend that. You do realise a lot of guys on here earn 20 grand a year? An away day in England is always welcomed.
I’ve no idea what guys on here earn.

Sorry but when it comes to stuff like this, fans can’t be prioritised. You’re wanting us to travel to Gibraltar, Azerbaijan, Croatia & Russia (examples) whilst having 3 home games & fling in a pointless trip down to Derby? Hardly a smart move travelling when we don’t need to.

interbear

I’m in South Wales and would love a friendly down here. Derby was great. Bristol City was great. Etc. However, with Euro qualifiers in July I completely get the rationale not to travel and support the club in that policy, even if I won’t get to any of those home friendlies. I don’t agree with playing those ****$ Marseille in a friendly but that’s an entirely different argument :cool:

Dempster

4. It's an opportunity to raise Rangers' profile at a time when our league is viewed as being beneath League 1 in England.

If people have different views, fine. As I said in the OP, I'm a bit disappointed.
In what way does it raise our profile to play a meaningless away friendly somewhere like Plymouth , Preston or Derby ?

I’m sorry but I’m not buying that .

Spyro

It would have been nice to have an away friendly in the South of England to try and take my oldest to, he's been to Ibrox for his first game already but he would relish sitting in an English ground as an away fan, with us coming from SE England.

No big deal though, another trip up the road for him for his next game!

MCMLXXXI

It was posted on here that we look at having Preston away only for Lancashire Police to blocked it since it fell on a weekend date

Preston distance wise would have been fine
Preston have had their away friendly moved from a Saturday to a Friday night with Fleetwood as Blackpool are playing Blackburn on the same Saturday.

No way would Lancs Constabulary be able to cope with thousands of Gers fans whether it was supposed to be on the same day as that or not.

Living locally I know how useless they are.

Realger34

Disappointing from a selfish point of view because it’s a great day out, but understand the reasoning of course.

Blueboy1975

There will be enough travelling for the players mate,not to mention the fans.

Some of the potential Europa draws involve a fair bit of travelling.
Not for the fans that can't make midweek European away trips. An away friendly in England would have been perfect for the players and fans. Would get the players accustomed to playing away from ibrox.