Rangers v Derby at Ibrox - no away friendlies again

Pretty disappointed by this.

We play derby on 28th July at Ibrox. Club have confirmed it's the final friendly.

Would much prefer a decent trip.

You will hopefully have a few opportunities for a decent trip somewhere in Europe around that time.

I get the point but all of our preparation should be geared towards European progression and if that means playing home friendlies only then I don’t have a problem with that.

Find some fans reaction to no away friendlies bizarre, the point of these matches is to build fitness not to give everyone a great day out.

With potential long flights to Eastern Europe in the qualifying stages, the last thing the squad needs is to then travel down south for a friendly.

Find some fans reaction to no away friendlies bizarre, the point of these matches is to build fitness not to give everyone a great day out.

With potential long flights to Eastern Europe in the qualifying stages, the last thing the squad needs is to then travel down south for a friendly.

Really bizarre. Basically %^*& the players and their well being, give them no time at home, make them travel every other day, %^*& prioritising qualifying for Europe. Let’s give the fans an away day in England somewhere instead.

Yeah, I couldn't care less about people getting a day out ahead of the team and preperations for Euro qualification.

It's not even close to being important in the grand scheme of things.

Tell me how travelling a few hours to the north of England differs from travelling a few hours to the north of Scotland.

You've obviously not heard the argument about teams playing away midweek in Europe, then being vulnerable in their next domestic game, due to the travelling involved?

It makes perfect sense to keep our travelling to a minimum between Europa games mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me how travelling a few hours to the north of England differs from travelling a few hours to the north of Scotland.

So you want them to fly back from an away qualifier in the early hours Friday morning, then first thing Saturday drive down to England for a friendly to play that on a Sunday.

It’s pre season, why would you want to place extra pointless demands on them. Ridiculous argument saying they need to get accustomed to travelling a lot.

It was posted on here that we look at having Preston away only for Lancashire Police to blocked it since it fell on a weekend date

Preston distance wise would have been fine

I am all for helping to support the club in its funding but for a CCCS season ticket holder with 2 boys - 6 home matches in July (i.e. the middle of the school holidays) is a bit of a financial stretch! I cant even make 4 of them and I am only away in Spain for 2 weeks!! LOL!

I am all for helping to support the club in its funding but for a CCCS season ticket holder with 2 boys - 6 home matches in July (i.e. the middle of the school holidays) is a bit of a financial stretch! I cant even make 4 of them and I am only away in Spain for 2 weeks!! LOL!

Did you tick the Friendly box if not then no financial cost to yourself been on the CCCS

Really bizarre. Basically %^*& the players and their well being, give them no time at home, make them travel every other day, %^*& prioritising qualifying for Europe. Let’s give the fans an away day in England somewhere instead.
And sack them all if they get knocked out of Europe

The first 2 rounds of qualifiers basically form part of our preseason now, that's the way I look at it (except of course the results matter).

Spot on mate , that’s the way the management team will see it incorparated into preseason schedule .

Would’ve been decent to have one away friendly down south but understand it gets the new players used to Ibrox, saves some travel, there’s a new pitch they will want to bed in, and gets a decent bit of money banked if there’s 25k (average) at every friendly.

will there ever be a decision made were all rangers fans are happy lol it makes sense to keep the players fresh and do as little travelling as possible yet some folk still arnt happy.

I’m happy no away friendlies in England or anywhere , no need for it at all .

Four friendlies at Ibrox seems a bit OTT three would be fine , considering we will hopefully have at least two qualifiers at home as well .

We will have played plenty by the time the league season kicks off .

A game down south so that 10,000 people can get out their nut on the bus for a couple of days is not required and it’s great that we aren’t doing it .

Can someone explain what’s wrong with four home friendlies? All the money goes to the club and why would we play away friendlies when we have Europa League games? We also have a new pitch.

Pretty disappointed by this.

We play derby on 28th July at Ibrox. Club have confirmed it's the final friendly.

Would much prefer a decent trip.
I’m sure, when these fixtures are planned, the desire of the fan wanting a wee trip are way down the priority list.

Can someone explain what’s wrong with four home friendlies? All the money goes to the club and why would we play away friendlies when we have Europa League games? We also have a new pitch.

It very rare to have that amount of home friendlies 1 or 2 yes

Also I am sure that the gate money is shared as the price has to be agreed with the opposition

Also I am sure that the gate money is shared as the price has to be agreed with the opposition

Also the gate money won’t be a factor given that it’s only £15 father and son for the Oxford game for example

Will cover costs and that’s about it .

This is sensible though- no point travelling down south just for the sake of it. Four is maybe one too many though- three would’ve been fine . Given that we also have euro qualifiers to play .

Also the gate money won’t be a factor given that it’s only £15 father and son for the Oxford game for example

Will cover costs and that’s about it .

This is sensible though- no point travelling down south just for the sake of it. Four is maybe one too many though- three would’ve been fine . Given that we also have euro qualifiers to play .

Tickets price are always decent for these games unless you have a big name then you having to pay additional costs

Is 4 friendlies too much - yes as you say maybe 3 max given our Europa League qualifiers

But it is about striking a balance and trying to get a perfect one

Not phased by the lack of away trip in all honesty. The club need to look at what's best for the playing squad. We don't want to be flying to a new place every week when 1 game won't mean anything & the other means an awful lot in the grand scheme of things.

Also saves fans money on the away trip, where they can keep the money they would spend and use it to go see us in Europe.

Al for friendly the visiting team normally get paid a fee for playing the game

Makes sense. Good warm up for the team and is a good day out for the Derby lads who have been very welcoming to our support down there whenever we’ve went. I know they will be made very welcome in the pubs and clubs and know a good few planning to travel up.

Back