Rangers v Derby at Ibrox - no away friendlies again

It’s often hard to get tickets for away games and travel during the week in the europa league. Jumping on a train/car/bus down south is a lot easier.

Also fucking derby. Doesn’t exactly make the mouth water.

Fans wanting a day out following the club to enjoy themselves, how dare they.

I'm sure fans of every club in Britain hoped their team arranged an away friendly. Only on here do people not understand why that is. Bunch of Debbie Downers!

More about fans wanting the best prep for the team rather than not wanting an away trip.

This is a big year.

already booked tickets and made arrangements to be at murrayfield that day so will have to give this one a miss, will go to Marseille and Blackburn games, give the oxford game a swerve unless i am in need of a curer on the sunday morning after the walk, and head down the paisley rd

Lot of assumptions being made by folk who seem annoyed that there are people out there with different opinions to them.

1. I intend to go to whatever Euro away games I'm able to.
2. It's not "just a piss up". It's an opportunity to go to different grounds, see different places.
3. Plenty of Rangers fans from around England don't manage to get to Glasgow often, if at all, and it's good for them to get the opportunity when Rangers come closer to them.
4. It's an opportunity to raise Rangers' profile at a time when our league is viewed as being beneath League 1 in England.

If people have different views, fine. As I said in the OP, I'm a bit disappointed.

Rangers wanted to play PNE in the Police said no way. It's the same situation at a number of clubs due to the stewarding and Police costs due to the volume of supporters we take.

More about fans wanting the best prep for the team rather than not wanting an away trip.

This is a big year.

There is no correlation between playing friendlies away and winning the league though. No one is wanting to hurt the team, just wanting the opportunity to enjoy a good away game.

Understand some Bears unhappy about a booze filled weekend - and also our Southern Brothers who would get a chance to take their youngsters to see the Famous.

But as others have stated these are about getting match fitness and sharpness up for Season kick off

Also lets be honest, Rangers will get a major cash boost at a moment in the transfer market where it could help secure that extra player or a player with that bit extra.

Looking after No. 1

Good move from the club, unfortunately a good away trip for the fans is secondary at this moment, getting 55 is the goal.

Whatever it takes.

Tell me how travelling a few hours to the north of England differs from travelling a few hours to the north of Scotland.

What’s more important - having the players well rested and prepared for the qualifiers or the fans having a day out?

The same fans who could come out in their thousands this July to make a point to this rancid shower of vermin running this country into the ground.

Aye mate, there'll be plenty of Derby fans willing to drink them all dry. There's real excitement about this fixture, so many people desperate to experience Ibrox and everything that goes with it.
If you cam PM me contact details, I'll make sure they know their welcome.
Downside is they need to eat the pies:)

Go to the Euro trips if yer that bothered about a swally.

The players rest time is far more important.
Geez peace. . Derby away day £100. European away £500 plus. Reality is most fans cant afford to go away and spend that. You do realise a lot of guys on here earn 20 grand a year? An away day in England is always welcomed.

Geez peace. . Derby away day £100. European away £500 plus. Reality is most fans cant afford to go away and spend that. You do realise a lot of guys on here earn 20 grand a year? An away day in England is always welcomed.
I’ve no idea what guys on here earn.

Sorry but when it comes to stuff like this, fans can’t be prioritised. You’re wanting us to travel to Gibraltar, Azerbaijan, Croatia & Russia (examples) whilst having 3 home games & fling in a pointless trip down to Derby? Hardly a smart move travelling when we don’t need to.

I’m in South Wales and would love a friendly down here. Derby was great. Bristol City was great. Etc. However, with Euro qualifiers in July I completely get the rationale not to travel and support the club in that policy, even if I won’t get to any of those home friendlies. I don’t agree with playing those ****$ Marseille in a friendly but that’s an entirely different argument :cool:

4. It's an opportunity to raise Rangers' profile at a time when our league is viewed as being beneath League 1 in England.

If people have different views, fine. As I said in the OP, I'm a bit disappointed.

In what way does it raise our profile to play a meaningless away friendly somewhere like Plymouth , Preston or Derby ?

I’m sorry but I’m not buying that .

It would have been nice to have an away friendly in the South of England to try and take my oldest to, he's been to Ibrox for his first game already but he would relish sitting in an English ground as an away fan, with us coming from SE England.

No big deal though, another trip up the road for him for his next game!

It was posted on here that we look at having Preston away only for Lancashire Police to blocked it since it fell on a weekend date

Preston distance wise would have been fine

Preston have had their away friendly moved from a Saturday to a Friday night with Fleetwood as Blackpool are playing Blackburn on the same Saturday.

No way would Lancs Constabulary be able to cope with thousands of Gers fans whether it was supposed to be on the same day as that or not.

Living locally I know how useless they are.

Disappointing from a selfish point of view because it’s a great day out, but understand the reasoning of course.

There will be enough travelling for the players mate,not to mention the fans.

Some of the potential Europa draws involve a fair bit of travelling.
Not for the fans that can't make midweek European away trips. An away friendly in England would have been perfect for the players and fans. Would get the players accustomed to playing away from Ibrox.

Preston have had their away friendly moved from a Saturday to a Friday night with Fleetwood as Blackpool are playing Blackburn on the same Saturday.

No way would Lancs Constabulary be able to cope with thousands of Gers fans whether it was supposed to be on the same day as that or not.

Living locally I know how useless they are.

Don't know which date it was meant to be but yesterday Preston announced a home friendly with Southampton on July 20th, reckon it would have been that weekend?

Not for the fans that can't make midweek European away trips. An away friendly in England would have been perfect for the players and fans. Would get the players accustomed to playing away from Ibrox.

I'd love an away game in England too mate, but unfortunately pre season matches are about preparing the team in the best possible way for the season ahead.

One plus is it gives supporters unable to buy season tickets an affordable chance to go and see the team.
A fiver for kids makes it a great opportunity for families.

In what way does it raise our profile to play a meaningless away friendly somewhere like Plymouth , Preston or Derby ?

I’m sorry but I’m not buying that .
The amount of positive comments that came from our first trip to Sheffield Wednesday and our past trip to derby meant more people would want to come to Ibrox to sample the atmosphere.

Anything that gets people interested in us is a good thing.

It makes sense not to have the players travelling anymore than they need to in between the Euro schedule. Also helps new players get accustomed to playing at Ibrox with slightly less pressure and gives Rangers the benefit of extra revenue.

Don't know which date it was meant to be but yesterday Preston announced a home friendly with Southampton on July 20th, reckon it would have been that weekend?

That is the only weekend North End had free so if it wasn't that then PNE are saying they will announce another home game on the Tue or Weds of that week so that was the only other option.

Either way Lancs Constabulary strike again :mad:

Find some fans reaction to no away friendlies bizarre, the point of these matches is to build fitness not to give everyone a great day out.

With potential long flights to Eastern Europe in the qualifying stages, the last thing the squad needs is to then travel down south for a friendly.

It’s hardly ‘bizarre’ since some of our fans would love a good away day friendly down south or wherever, fair enough if you disagree with the playing of such games but to describe other fans reaction as ‘bizarre’ is well over the top.

That is the only weekend North End had free so if it wasn't that then PNE are saying they will announce another home game on the Tue or Weds of that week so that was the only other option.

Either way Lancs Constabulary strike again :mad:

3rd time that a game in the North-West of England had been blocked the other 2 were

Bolton 2006 announced then scrapped
Manchester United 2010 for Gary Neville Testimonial

both under Greater Manchester Police remit

Blackpool went ahead on a midweek July 2011? and we have had a couple of Legends games in the area as well

If we had a free midweek then maybe Preston would have went ahead?

But we don't

It’s often hard to get tickets for away games and travel during the week in the europa league. Jumping on a train/car/bus down south is a lot easier.

Also fucking derby. Doesn’t exactly make the mouth water.

These friendlies are not about the fans.

Reactions: LD5
How about giving other teams fans who would not otherwise get to witness the spectacle of iconic and illustrious Ibrox and give them a day to remember.

It seems some Folk are more upset about missing out on a drinking session / day out than the team preparing for qualification for Europa league

Jolly boys outing can be another time

Last thing team needs after an away euro trip (which could be thousands of miles away in Armenia or some such place) is to get back & for another flight / bus trip to play a friendly / kick about

Say this had been an away fixture at Derby and based on last season's schedule.

Friday morning - Team arrive back from Croatia (played Osijek)
Saturday/Sunday - Team Travel to and from Derby
Thursday - Osijek home leg
Sunday - Travel to and from Sheep away

All that travel in the space of 9 days cannot impact positively on results.

Pretty disappointed by this.

We play derby on 28th July at Ibrox. Club have confirmed it's the final friendly.

Would much prefer a decent trip.
We do what's best for us as a Club. If the fans get a jolly out of it then all well and good but that's not the primary concern.

Last edited:
3rd time that a game in the North-West of England had been blocked the other 2 were

Bolton 2006 announced then scrapped
Manchester United 2010 for Gary Neville Testimonial

both under Greater Manchester Police remit

Blackpool went ahead on a midweek July 2011? and we have had a couple of Legends games in the area as well

If we had a free midweek then maybe Preston would have went ahead?

But we don't

I'm not sure mate, police round here don't seem up for it at all.

Like you say the legends games have gone ahead with no issues at all.

Really disappointing for bears in the NW :(

Rangers explained that as we’ll be kicking off euro qualifiers really early they didn’t want to tire the players with travelling for friendlies.
Sensible, plus it gets bodies through the turnstyles and generates cash

Hopefully plenty of away days with the Euro games

Rangers explained that as we’ll be kicking off euro qualifiers really early they didn’t want to tire the players with travelling for friendlies.
This
What’s more important a away piss up for fans or the players being ready for the season?

Back