Rangers v Everton in Dubai in the 80s?

WinkieWATP

Scottish Champions V English Champions?

Was this game live on tv or was it shown on a delayed programme? From memory Peter Reid was acting a bit of a prick and Souness came off the bench to sort him out

Peter Reid part is accurate, think he was giving Derek & Durranty a hard time so Souness went “aye that’ll be right”. We won on penalties IIRC?.

Wasn’t on tv. Everton always seem to have had a chip on their shoulders, even in good times.

Eh? Surely not?
Surely another record?

“Rangers can call themselves champions of Britain ... after one of the most incredible victories even in their long and proud history.

They had to wait until the 16th penalty shoot-out in the white-walled Al Maktoum Stadium before claiming the solid Gold Dubai Super Cup and a £10,000 victory bonus.

Yet during the 90 minutes of the match they had the ball in the net an amazing EIGHT times - only to have SIX goals disallowed.”
——————————————————
I assume £10,000 was a fair whack of cash back then for a glorified friendly?.

“Rangers can call themselves champions of Britain ... after one of the most incredible victories even in their long and proud history.

They had to wait until the 16th penalty shoot-out in the white-walled Al Maktoum Stadium before claiming the solid Gold Dubai Super Cup and a £10,000 victory bonus.

Yet during the 90 minutes of the match they had the ball in the net an amazing EIGHT times - only to have SIX goals disallowed.”
——————————————————
I assume £10,000 was a fair whack of cash back then for a glorified friendly?.
Incredible stuff mate!

Was at a game in Melbourne he was playing for Everton. We were with the team night before and he was brilliant with us good banter. MGRSC few of us gave him as good as he gave us. Game night they line up before the game we are in the stand with our flag , he looks op big grin and crosses himself then gave us a wave can imagine the bears response .

Was at a game in Melbourne he was playing for Everton. We were with the team night before and he was brilliant with us good banter. MGRSC few of us gave him as good as he gave us. Game night they line up before the game we are in the stand with our flag , he looks op big grin and crosses himself then gave us a wave can imagine the bears response .

Peter Reid?

James Blaney?

Was this game live on tv or was it shown on a delayed programme? From memory Peter Reid was acting a bit of a prick and Souness came off the bench to sort him out
Always remembered Goughie's penalty.
Not sure why.
Maybe because it was his last?

Always remember Goughie's penalty.
Not sure why.
Maybe because it was his last?

Must have been highlights on then. Googled it anyway

It was live on BBC mate in the afternoon. Just googled it and the Liverpool Echo confirmed it and I've just remembered a few of the boys on the supporters bus watched it too. Remember talking about it and we made up a shitey song for the bus.

I have a tie from that game ,it has the emblems of both teams on it & it's a nice royal blue
A mate of mine was the commercial manager for the SFA.
I'm sure Umbro had something to do with the match as both sides wore their official strips & I'm sure Scotland as well anyway my mates a guest & all the official party were given these ties, my mate is a Thistle fan so had no use for it so it got passed on to me

Would it been shown live on Screensport with highlights on BBC later?

Old enough to remember at the time but not watching it live

I have a tie from that game ,it has the emblems of both teams on it & it's a nice royal blue
A mate of mine was the commercial manager for the SFA.
I'm sure Umbro had something to do with the match as both sides wore their official strips & I'm sure Scotland as well anyway my mates a guest & all the official party were given these ties, my mate is a Thistle fan so had no use for it so it got passed on to me

It was played at the time when English clubs were banned from European competition

Under the title of Dubai Super Cup 1st one renamed Dubai Champions Cup 3 games were played

1986/87 Liverpool v Celtic
1987/88 Rangers v Everton
1988/89 Liverpool v Celtic

Rangers v Arsenal I think was due to played in Dubai but due to fixture scheduling and lack of appetite to go ended up been played at Ibrox instead sponsored by Zenith Data Systems

It was played at the time when English clubs were banned from European competition

Under the title of Dubai Super Cup 1st one renamed Dubai Champions Cup 3 games were played

1986/87 Liverpool v Celtic
1987/88 Rangers v Everton
1988/89 Liverpool v Celtic

Rangers v Arsenal I think was due to played in Dubai but due to fixture scheduling and lack of appetite to go ended up been played at Ibrox instead sponsored by Zenith Data Systems

The Rangers Arsenal game was one of the coldest games I've ever been to.

It was freezing. And we got beat.

Aye we lost that game played at a nearly deserted Ibrox.

Was live on council telly mate, sure it was the beeb.
Barry Davies was the commentator so yes it probably was.

Still don't remember it since it would have around 4pm UK time kick-off must have been a late decision to do it as nothing shows up in the newspaper listings on the day

Even although Barry Davies was the commentator doesn't mean he didn't do work for another broadcaster like Screensport hence query

edit 4pm UK time

Last edited:
Still don't remember it since it would have around 5pm UK time kick-off must have been a late decision to do it as nothing shows up in the newspaper listings on the day

Even although Barry Davies was the commentator doesn't mean he didn't do work for another broadcaster like Screensport hence query
I don't even know what Screensport is mate and we only had the basic channels then.

Brilliant footage. Loved seeing Steven and Stevens playing against us there

Still don't remember it since it would have around 5pm UK time kick-off must have been a late decision to do it as nothing shows up in the newspaper listings on the day

It's on You Tube or was anyway, this subject was on here not that long ago

I'm sure we got recorded highlights of the game either later that night or the next. And yes, we did get 6 goals disallowed!

Back