Match Thread Rangers v FC Ufa - 19:45 Thursday - RangersTV.tv - UK & Abroad

Middle to front we are quite poor at the moment. It still isn't working properly. I struggle to see us score over there judging by how we have approached previous away games. fear a horrible 90 minute defensive job.
How many games have we failed to score in and how many goals have we scored and how many conceded since SG took over.

I think those facts will prove you wrong.

Not conceding an away goal is huge for us and it'll be a different game over there when they have to try and win. We score and job done.

My main thought after that game is that the Russians showed zero going forward and I really cannot see them scoring next week. One genuine chance in 90 minutes, McGregor made a good save just after we had scored. That was it. They were no mugs defensively though, solid and difficult to break down, aided by an incompetent referee. A few earlier yellows and they may not have been able to disrupt us so effectively. The referee was also very harsh on Morelos, blowing up for fouls when he'd just used his body cleverly to shield the ball and roll the defender. None of those were actual fouls.

Top players for me tonight were Ejaria and Jack, Kent looked useful too. But a special mention for Arfield, he never stopped all night and tried to link up play nicely with those in front of him. Didn't always come off but he never stopped trying.

So I'm happy enough with another win, another clean sheet and another good defensive display from us. This is light years better than we were only a few months ago, anyone moaning needs to learn perspective. I think we can get a similar 1-0 result against them next week in Russia as they will have to come out and at us more in an attacking sense.

J
Going to be a tough trip over there. Need to have all focus on that. Was hoping we would make it more comfortable and get some rest in before the Celtic game.

Jack was class tonight.
Just walked out the ground to hear some tw*t say Jack and Arfield were sh*te! Ryan Jack had the game all managers want! Can't recall a mistake from him all night.

Honest somecamount of greeting faced tits post on here.. another game another clean sheet, we wernt troubled at all.. a tad more clinical n we could have scored 3.. what actually do you greeting faced plebs want... ..

1-0 in the home leg isn’t the worst result in the world. I’m confident we can beat them over there.

The best team we have faced out of our European opponents by far imo.
Cheating,Conning the Ref,wasting time,cant take throw ins and as the game wound down they became clever and started showing a bit of talent.
We need to play better than we did to go through imo.

Disappointed that the 2nd didn’t come but we outclassed them tonight. We should take great confidence in to the 2nd leg. The concern is that the Celtic game is hot on the heels of the return leg in Russia. There’s no opportunity to rotate players. They’ll all just need to keep going. The big plus is...no additional injuries.

Just to put the record straight because of geopolitics the Pols will always favour the Ruskies. Hope we don't have Pols in the second leg otherwise we are in trouble.
Poles hate the Russians.

Stallin wasn't too keen on them and murdered a big number of them during WWII.

He was just a shite ref tonight!

Last edited:
I would say that was a below par performance. The ref had a howler. It's not ideal having to go over there with a job to do on their shitey plastic pitch 72 hours before an OF game. It could be worse though. It also shows how far we've come when we're feeling disappointed with tonight's outcome.

Suppose it shows our progress that we're sat here with a 1-0 win in Europe, a clean sheet, and we're a bit disappointed it wasn't a bigger margin of victory.

They were a well organised side but got away with an incredible amount of cynical fouls. If we get a competent ref next week, they won't finish with 11 men.

Ejaria proving the manager correct. He took time to settle but he looks excellent now.

We badly lack someone making the runs beyond Morelos. Arfield did it a few times but not enough. Either a 10 type of player, or a winger coming inside like Murphy did. Lafferty from the left could be that player.

Confident ahead of next week. We'll surely score one at least but we need to be disciplined and ruthless.

Good result. Obviously would have liked another one but we are more than capable of scoring over there. Being realistic if someone said we would beat a Russian team 1-0 in europe at Ibrox this season I am pretty sure most of us would think they were talking shite. They stifled the game from the start with constant fouls and we never got going because the ref should have cracked down on it early. Happy with the result and not conceding an away goal gives us the big advantage.

Cheating,Conning the Ref,wasting time,cant take throw ins and as the game wound down they became clever and started showing a bit of talent.

We are going into a final qualifying tie ahead and with the away goals rule in our favour (having lost only 2 goals in seven matches).We are ahead of the scum in the league, despite never finishing the game with ten men. We have a league cup quarter final at home against first division opposition.
This time last year , we were out 0f Europe at the first hurdle, behind the scum, about to go out of the league cup and a shambles. And people are moaning! Mentalists.

Disappointed that the 2nd didn’t come but we outclassed them tonight. We should take great confidence in to the 2nd leg. The concern is that the Celtic game is hot on the heels of the return leg in Russia. There’s no opportunity to rotate players. They’ll all just need to keep going. The big plus is...no additional injuries.
They will need to put a strong team out aswel mate they cant risk getting put out

People underestimated the Russians they were always going to be tough and harder to play against with that 5-3-2 they play with.

Thought we stood off them too much in the second half, just didn’t get things going in the final third. Thought Kent was poor, Middleton looked lively.

Ejaria was very good tonight pleased with him. Disappointing not to get another goal but we didn’t concede that was the main thing.

Referee was absolutely diabolical, my head is thumping shouting at the lady's front bottom. What is it with us and referees ?

it now appears, that to criticise what was a pretty ordinary performance against, and dare i say it, the worst team i have seen for a long time in a european qualifier attracts your not on the SG train rants, ffs guys get a grip!

Ufa are rank, absolutely rank.

It wasn’t our best performance tonight but we were good enough and, let’s be honest, should’ve had one or two more goals.

I’m nervous ahead of next week but if we play how we all know we can then I think we’ll be fine.

Yup. I don't agree with the posters saying they were shite. They were competent, clever and showed a willingness to fight for their cause. You can see why they got this far. Still, I think one goal over there probably wins us the tie.

what happened to to 5-0 result so many on here said we would get, and dont blame the ref, we have been distinctly lacking in the final third

SG has brilliantly sorted out our defensive failings, now attention has to be focussed on attack. We have played 10 competitive games scoring 14 goals (3 penalties) and only twice scored more than 2 goals in a game - we are at best functional in attack, definitely lack a spark. El Buffalo is a handful for anydefence but is not an instinctive goalscorer as witness the 2 decent chances that fell his way tonight - a finisher would have netted one of them.

Rome wasn't built in a day, tonight's result should be seen as what it is, a home win with a clean sheet, not a disaster. We have shown we can go away and not concede.

We are going along nicely, tonight is perhaps a reality check that there is still a good bit of work to be done on player recruitment before we are anywhere near the finished article.

That was like playing a bottom half SPL team at Ibrox.

Frustrating and boring to watch, but it’s all they had as we are significantly better than them.

Ref was shit. Really really shit. The cards we got compared to what they should have got was baffling. Two stonewallers denied also.

Yes it was only 1 nil, we all wish it could have been more but it was one of those frustrating nights but never the less its a win and a clean sheet.

For what I seen tonight they are fairly organised but they don't pose a huge threat going forward and an away goal for us should seal it over there.

Obviously would have preferred a second goal but overall I thought we played well.
Poor Alfredo getting pulled and pushed around - they should have got a few yellows for that and maybe leading to a red.

SG has brilliantly sorted out our defensive failings, now attention has to be focussed on attack. We have played 10 competitive games scoring 14 goals (3 penalties) and only twice scored more than 2 goals in a game - we are at best functional in attack, definitely lack a spark. El Buffalo is a handful for anydefence but is not an instinctive goalscorer as witness the 2 decent chances that fell his way tonight - a finisher would have netted one of them.

Rome wasn't built in a day, tonight's result should be seen as what it is, a home win with a clean sheet, not a disaster. We have shown we can go away and not concede.

We are going along nicely, tonight is perhaps a reality check that there is still a good bit of work to be done on player recruitment before we are anywhere near the finished article.
agreed 100%

Not easy to score when they came for the 0-0.
Main thing is we didn’t concede and I fancy ya to score over there.
People need to remember this is a brand new team and we have done so well to even get this far.
Could of been a better result but we are still the favourites to go through so cheer up some people

wow uber staunch
eazT19b.jpg

Clean sheet and a lead is a decent nights work.

Still worried about our creativity - is that 8 goals in 7 euro games so far? Obviously a level up but we aren’t exactly banging the goals in.

Happy with the clean sheet, we seemed to run out of steam late doors. Promising spell from Middleton. If we can get a goal over there we should be ok.

Not surprising, we have played a lot of football in past 5 weeks. Perhaps aldo shows squad is not as strong in depth as we imagine.

Back