Match Thread Rangers v FK Shkupi - 19:45 Thursday 12th - BT Sports

Thought we were poor last night.didn,t actually look any better than the home leg against progress last season.but its early days so hopefully thinks will get better.

Pleased enough with the result, we should be capable of getting a goal when they open up more to attack, thought we looked fairly solid defensively with a good improvement in physicality but did lack quality in the final third

People being shocked that our attacking performance was not massively different from last season is bizarre.

Of the new players who played yesterday:

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Katic, Flanagan, McCrorie, Arfield, Candeias, Murphy, Windass, Morelos

You had a goalkeeper, 3 defenders and a central midfielder - the front 4 were still the same as last season - so I don't know why people thought we were suddenly going to be transformed upfront.

Our new signings that played yesterday were at the other end of the pitch and defensively I thought we looked much stronger than last season. Goldson is a beast and strolled it and Flanagan looked a cut above too.

Maybe judge our game middle to front when Coulibally, Sadiq, Solanke (please) and whoever else come into the side.
Fair enough point mate.

Windass was appalling and, together with Morelos left us with a 9 man team on the pitch.
Middleton was much more effective for the short time he was on and must be in Gerrard's mind for a start on Tuesday.
It was a relief to get the penalty and I hope we are better in the return leg.

SELL WINDASS TODAY.

People being shocked that our attacking performance was not massively different from last season is bizarre.

Of the new players who played yesterday:

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Katic, Flanagan, McCrorie, Arfield, Candeias, Murphy, Windass, Morelos

You had a goalkeeper, 3 defenders and a central midfielder - the front 4 were still the same as last season - so I don't know why people thought we were suddenly going to be transformed upfront.

Our new signings that played yesterday were at the other end of the pitch and defensively I thought we looked much stronger than last season. Goldson is a beast and strolled it and Flanagan looked a cut above too.

Maybe judge our game middle to front when Coulibally, Sadiq, Solanke (please) and whoever else come into the side.

Agree with this, we all knew we had to build from the back as the defence was a shambles last season.

I'm sure he'll address the attacking options in the coming weeks. Surely even a Cummings type striker would have stuck some of those Morelos chances away.

Midfield is our biggest worry imo

Lost count of the amount of times that they just ghosted through the middle of the park. McCrorie can’t do it all himself.

I understand the thinking of having Candeias in there. He’ll run all day, press and harass, but Gerrard will learn pretty quickly that if there is no strength in that midfield, we will continue to struggle. Walter understood the importance of the midfield.

Goldson looks the pick the bunch of the new signings.

Probably the best thing about that performance is that it will hopefully settle the early expectations. And having said that, there are some major overreactions already.

Until we got the penalty at the end I was thinking about how many times I'd watched the exact same game by Rangers over the last few years.

It's ridiculously early in the season, I'm not stressing till Aberdeen time.

We won and that is what matters.

I didn't know what to expect from Skupje before the game & I'm still not too sure of them after last night either

I don't think they are all that great - but I thought the same against Progres

I think they are capable of causing problems in attack with their African player looking more than useful & I can see us needing an away goal

The trouble is if we waste chances like we did last night we can easily suffer

We could do with getting the ball boys clued up a bit more. There must be hundreds of kids who would jump at the chance to be ball boys/girls

Noticed a couple of times that Rangers players wanted the ball quickly and by the time they got it the advantage they were looking for was gone.

Also helps to stop the time wasting a bit, by getting the ball to visiting teams quickly.

Every little helps!

We could do with getting the ball boys clued up a bit more. There must be hundreds of kids who would jump at the chance to be ball boys/girls

Noticed a couple of times that Rangers players wanted the ball quickly and by the time they got it the advantage they were looking for was gone.

Also helps to stop the time wasting a bit, by getting the ball to visiting teams quickly.

Every little helps!

something i noticed last night was the lack of urgency from the ball boys. There was one particularly lazy one at corner of copland and govan who looked like he was towing a caravan when walking over to the ball

If we’d have been playing free flowing attacking football and won 3 or 4 nil, we’d be getting excited about the Gerrard Revolution and carried away.

We were solid defensively which is always the base to build on. It’s what Walter always concentrated on first. Yous rather win 2-0 than 4-2 at this stage. This shows the weaknesses in the team going forward and how changes, coupled with the correct training, is mandatory.

something i noticed last night was the lack of urgency from the ball boys. There was one particularly lazy one at corner of copland and govan who looked like he was towing a caravan when walking over to the ball
I thought ball boys were usually kids from the younger teams?

My son keeps asking how to be one, but he's pish at football so has no hope of joining Rangers as a player :D

Food for thought from last night, glad we didn't win by 3 or 4 as this board would be in melt-down! A good bit of work to be done with a new team and manager but can see the potential.

Back