Match Thread ** Rangers v Hearts -12:30 Sunday 22nd - Sky Sports **

Murphy, Candeias, Cummings and Holt

Going forward we were slick at times, final ball needs work and Windass invisible yet again.

We should be starting Cummings ahead of Windass IMO with Morelos in the number 9 role

Workrate was vastly improved today

Agree with every word of that

Better second half and the early goal made it for us. Hearts were utter pish and never looked interested.

The game hasn’t given me any additional confidence for the piggery as I still think we lack ruthlessness up front and are a bomb-scare at the back.

Dorrans was good today and Candeias. I’d start Cummings next week and in all honesty not have Morelos near it as he just looks like his head has gone. Simply no space for a striker who isn’t going to take the gilt-edged chances that come his way next week.

Overall an easier three points than I expected against a team who look like they’re running the season down now.

Seemed to be a decent energy about the squad today when moving forward. Holt and Dorrans were good in possession and showing for a pass.

The easiest game we will have before the end of the season.

Had a number of chances we should have done better with.

Work rate was improved, controlled the midfield.

Hearts were not very good.

Zero atmosphere without the Union Bears, couldn't believe the amount of talking going on throughout the match. Probably can't normally hear it.

Three points, always welcome.

Was a lot better today but there are still glaring deficiencies. Thought Cummings took his goal well but apart from that just ran about a lot. Windass while anonymous for most of it gives us something no one else can.

For me through the defence is fundamental to next week. Is there a chance Bates could be fit ? I would rather play Alves than Martin or McCrorie. For me the sooner young Ross is back in MF the better. We were at our best with him there. Candeias was superb and Dorrans was decent. However I still think we will struggle to take anything from the last games

Final ball needs to be better, all too predictable at times.

The mhanks are slicker passers than us but thats where workrate comes in.

First 45mins the usual rotten served up and a bit better 2nd half.Windass really is a poor footballer.If hearts had scored a 2nd,it would have been down to him and his greed.

Started well enough but most of the first half was a non-event. The second half performance was much better and I thought Dorrans, Holt, Murphy and Candeais all stood out for the right reasons. Decent result but it has to be said, that was a piss-poor Hearts side and we will need to step it up big time next Sunday.

Second half was not a bad game, couple of good performances especially Dorrans.
But we squander so many great scoring opportunities, which will kill us next week even if we do compete with them this time. So many wrong options taken, so many extra touches needed, so many clear shooting chances fluffed.

Take the win,as we stand we need any confidence booster that we can get.
Hearts were poor.i.m.o.
We need a few big athletic type players.
Well done Rangers,but different game next week,got to start taking our chances,still a lot to prove to the “doubters”

I thought Hearts' goal should have been flagged for offside and we were lucky Lafferty's shot didn't go in but apart from that Hearts are a poor side.
This was a win and I'm sure we would all accept a 2-1 victory in the last 4 matches.

Decent 2nd half performance. Just wanted the 3 points today with the sheep result.

Dorrans, Candeias and Murphy all stood out. Would start Cummings next week, his work rate gave us some half decent chances when the game was quite flat in the first half.

Dorrans man of the match. That’s exactly what I thought we were getting when we bought him. Candeias was very good also, back to his 100% effort after last weeks strange display.

One thing is for sure next week. There can be no spot for Windass in the starting eleven we simply can’t afford it. We need a team of harassers next week. Maybe use him later in the game depending on how it is going. Holt needs to start, we need his energy.

Rangers stats today.

21 shots on goal

9 shots on target

2 goals scored

15 corners

It's not the same league at all, but Man City have had 14 shots at goal in 82 mins and 10 on target with 4 goals.

So, that is one area we have to look to improve. We don't get enough shots on target (1 out of every 3 shots on target today) and we don't score enough of our attempts (less than 1 attempt in 10 today resulted in a goal)

It was far from one bad performance. He'd been poor in the two matches previous to the Dhims and had a nightmare 45 minutes against Killie in the game after the Dhims. So let's, at least, keep it accurate.

All that said, I'd have started him today.:oops:

Matter of opinion but there isn't anyone else who can touch his level of passing in our squad

6 bad misses

Feel free to name them

The Ibrox one and last week is what I’d class as bad missed

At the piggery he had 2 chances. One was a great save and the other was a chance but given how far out it was with the header, it wasn’t a bad miss fs
1 Header from 4 yards out at Ibrox
2 header from six yards piggery
3 header from about 8 yards piggery
4 1 on 1 at Ibrox
5 hits post from 2/3 yards basically open net at Ibrox
6 the one that came off the bar last week he hit straight at the keeper
7 then the header in that game aswell. Not really a sitter but from only 6 yards out he should be scoring.

I didn't expect us to win today. Mind you, the first half was pretty awful for both teams. Second half was better and a surprised, but deserved win was achieved. I can't decide if Hearts were poor or we stepped up our game. A bit of both. Nonetheless, we will need even more commitment next week and also against the sheep and spoon burners.

Matter of opinion but there isn't anyone else who can touch his level of passing in our squad

Not disputing that at all, not in any way. Simply correcting your statement that he was dropped after ONE poor performance. That, quite simply, is not correct.

The major weakness of Candieas is his final ball into the box. It rarely falls for one of our attackers. Tav's isn't much better. Putting the ball into the box , from the right wing, has been problematic all season. A real shame because getting up the wing is no problem at all.
I wonder how Candieas would do in the secondary striker role. Flanked by Murphy and MOH. Supporting Cummings as the main striker. I'd try this out against the beasts just for the hell of it. If anything the amount of pace in that 4 should give the beasts something to be concerned about.

ALnwick - Not a long term solution
Tav and John. Both did well but the Hertz goal and Laffertys shot that’s hit the post both came from Tav getting done by the kid.
Not convinced Ross is a CH.
not convinced by Martin
Dorrans and Holt both very good. Dorrans MoM for me
Candieas great goal but final ball could have been better
Murphy had me on edge of my seat whenever he got the ball. Close second to Dorrans.
Cummings never gave them a minutes peace shouldn’t have scored 2-3 goals tho.
Josh. Oh Josh your decision making is terrible.

Really tough first half with 8-9 men constantly behind the ball trying to frustrate the players AND US.

SECOnd half we were simply better than them.
To me their goal was offside. Naismith starts offside and tries to play the ball so he was offside.

All in all I am happy with how it’s went today.

The major weakness of Candieas is his final ball into the box. It rarely falls for one of our attackers. Tav's isn't much better. Putting the ball into the box , from the right wing, has been problematic all season. A real shame because getting up the wing is no problem at all.
I wonder how Candieas would do in the secondary striker role. Flanked by Murphy and MOH. Supporting Cummings as the main striker. I'd try this out against the beasts just for the hell of it. If anything the amount of pace in that 4 should give the beasts something to be concerned about.

He is our top player for assists.
He is top of the assist table in the league
He is the best early crosser we've had for years
Yes he has failings however major weakness you must be joking.

First 45mins the usual rotten served up and a bit better 2nd half.Windass really is a poor footballer.If hearts had scored a 2nd,it would have been down to him and his greed.

Windass is quick, he can score goals and he is good at closing down opposition when we are playing a pressing game. He makes good runs that simply go unnoticed by our midfield.

Where he is let down is when the game is tight he is lost and his decision making can let him down.

He does not deserve the whipping boy status he gets on here.

He is our top player for assists.
He is top of the assist table in the league
He is the best early crosser we've had for years
Yes he has failings however major weakness you must be joking.
His crosses never find our players! I admit that may not be all down to him. Obviously his stats don't look bad. However, his assist today was a pass rather than a cross. I've thought all season our play up the right ending in a cross into the box never leads to a anything. The balls are always defended, or are harmless.
Was there a cross from the right wing today that wasn't defended or harmless?

Windass is quick, he can score goals and he is good at closing down opposition when we are playing a pressing game. He makes good runs that simply go unnoticed by our midfield.

Where he is let down is when the game is tight he is lost and his decision making can let him down.

He does not deserve the whipping boy status he gets on here.
Windass can't win a ball. He can be lethal shooting, and is skilful creating his opportunities. But when he needs to challenge a defender for the ball, or beat a defender to the ball, that's when you see a mile off it isn't going to happen.

For 1/2 an hour in the second half we played pretty well. Dorrans and Holt get pass marks.

Strange match against poor opposition, the Hearts fans couldn't even muster a "You're not Rangers anymore".

Windass can't win a ball. He can be lethal shooting, and is skilful creating his opportunities. But when he needs to challenge a defender for the ball, or beat a defender to the ball, that's when you see a mile off it isn't going to happen.

He isn't going to go crunching into tackles but he does force defenders to rush passes and make mistakes.

His mugging of the filth defender at Ibrox is what we can do more if we press these pricks.

Cummings did the same to him earlier.

Anyone hear Murty screaming 'go go go' to put pressure on when hearts had it at the back? Hope we press like that next week against the filth

Hearts are pish so I'm not reading too much into that today. Much better second half though and should have been a few more, Windass incredibly selfish at least twice when others would have been left with more or less open goals. Morelos, Murphy and Cummings could all have added a third.

Awful goal we lost too.

An awful goal from a team that are pish.

Fuuk knows what will happen against a team that ain't pish.

Back