Article Rangers v Hearts - A Scottish Cup History

I'd been to some games earlier that season but the game i have the earliest memories of attending is the 76 cup final.

Was in the away end for some reason and had a great view sitting on my old man's shoulders.

Another fine article that brought back some good and bad memories.

The 1993 semi final with the programme pictured - am I right in thinking that was McCoist's last goal before he broke his leg playing for Scotland?

We played them at Parkhead a few times between 1993 and 1998, but the 1996 final was at Hampden. Why Parkhead for 1996 League Cup and 1998 Scottish Cup finals?

Now I've tested my memory, I think it was also the day the Grand National had a false start and got declared void.
Can't remember the name of the horse that "won" then found out the race was scrapped, but I do remember a guy on our bus thinking he had won a right few bob then swearing like a trooper after being told what had happened.

We played them at Parkhead a few times between 1993 and 1998, but the 1996 final was at Hampden. Why Parkhead for 1996 League Cup and 1998 Scottish Cup finals?
I think 1993 final was at Parkhead because the old Hampden terracings got flattened and stands built.
Then after 1996 they completed the rebuild by doing the old main stand, which wasn't finished till after the 1998 final.

The 1993 Scottish Cup semi might have been a trial "flag day" for the final? Follow Follow gave out fliers with recommendations for flags, confetti etc.?

I think 1993 final was at Parkhead because the old Hampden terracings got flattened and stands built.
Then after 1996 they completed the rebuild by doing the old main stand, which wasn't finished till after the 1998 final.
I'm going a little off topic here, but 5 years to build a stadium which isn't the best is poor from the SFA.

My first cup final was at the 1976 Scottish cup final against Hearts. My big brother took me.

I was 10.

The crowd was over 80k. I was shitting myself.

We won 3-1, but i don't remember much of the game. Too busy trying to avoid being crushed. I was a wee fella after all.

My old dear went mental when my brother told her he took me to the game.

She was going to boot his baws. Said i was too wee to go to game with a crowd that size.

Some crowd. That's my recollection of the game. :))

I just watch it now and again on youtube to see what the game was like. :))

My first cup final was at the 1976 Scottish cup final against Hearts. My big brother took me.

I was 10.

The crowd was over 80k. I was shitting myself.

We won 3-1, but i don't remember much of the game. Too busy trying to avoid being crushed. I was a wee fella after all.

My old dear went mental when my brother told her he took me to the game.

She was going to boot his baws. Said i was too wee to go to game with a crowd that size.

Some crowd. That's my recollection of the game. :))

I just watch it now and again on youtube to see what the game was like. :))
The official crowd was given as 85k (and change) but the reality is slightly different. It's been well recorded that there was a break-in at the Kings Park end and thousands upon thousands got in without a ticket.

Unofficially, it was probably the last six figure crowd in Scotland.

The official crowd was given as 85k (and change) but the reality is slightly different. It's been well recorded that there was a break-in at the Kings Park end and thousands upon thousands got in without a ticket.

Unofficially, it was probably the last six figure crowd in Scotland.
I was in the crowd outside Hampden that day.

My memory says there was a late item in the evening news saying Hearts had handed back tickets - other people have said you could pay into their end.

Anyway - my pals and our dads went down early - Sommerville Drive was mobbed. Got so dangerous us kids were lifted up on the walls of back gardens,

The doors got kicked in at various times - at other times I watched people like Spiderman climb up supported by strands of trailing barbed wire.

We were outside when DJ scored the early goal - Bears at the top of the terracing waving down to us - in fact so early I believe the referee had kicked off early and we'd actually scored before 3pm!

Once the game had started the police got more control and the crowds dispersed almost instantly for the pubs and clubs and we trigged back to the cars and nipped home.

I was in the crowd outside Hampden that day.

My memory says there was a late item in the evening news saying Hearts had handed back tickets - other people have said you could pay into their end.

Anyway - my pals and our dads went down early - Sommerville Drive was mobbed. Got so dangerous us kids were lifted up on the walls of back gardens,

The doors got kicked in at various times - at other times I watched people like Spiderman climb up supported by strands of trailing barbed wire.

We were outside when DJ scored the early goal - Bears at the top of the terracing waving down to us - in fact so early I believe the referee had kicked off early and we'd actually scored before 3pm!

Once the game had started the police got more control and the crowds dispersed almost instantly for the pubs and clubs and we trigged back to the cars and nipped home.
Robert McElroy is adamant there was far in excess of 100,000 that day.

Robert McElroy is adamant there was far in excess of 100,000 that day.

Perhaps that is why i was shitting it.

When we scored it was a surge with folk. I shat it. I wanted out of the place.

Needless to say, i didn't enjoy the game. I was paranoid of being crushed. Headed up the stairs. I had to leave.

Waited outside till my brother got me after the final whistle.

The game i never enjoyed, but we won.

Back