Rangers v Helsinki match thread

Watched him closely in the first half and thought his movement was first class .. I really hope the players adapt to how he moves , he is constantly on the move and a few times the player on the ball didn’t react to his movement.

Only chance of note was a left footed effort from a wide angle.

Decent run out for the team.

Took 15 or so minutes in either half to gain control of the match, but we seemed fairly comfortable.

Two pretty dreadful defensive lapses caused the goals against us and they will probably be looked at tomorrow. A Lazy ball lumped up the middle is a Killie special and being caught out so completely by one is a bit of a worry.

Davis looked like he hasn't missed a beat, didn't see enough of Defoe on the ball to see whether or not he was rusty, his positioning was great off the ball though. Some of the youngsters; Middleton, Kelly, Houston and Palmer with the cameo at the end were good. Robby McCrorie was decent but possibly committed himself too early at the goal, on the other hand 60 seconds after a goal, the ball bounces over one defender and the other is far too far back I can understand why.

HJK were very technically proficient but had too much of the "Warburton" about them, passing from the back no matter what, defensive lapses and messing about in the middle of the park, but they did have a number of their players who were capable of causing issues with their movement on the ball, especially number 36 who had a decent turn and shot on him. Their goalkeeper, 3rd goal aside, was very decent too.

They are a team looking to get to the Europa this season and barely missed out last season so it was a decent test.

Did they no get pumped in the qualifiers last season or am I getting them mixed up with another team?

anyway I thought they passed the ball very well and had 2 or 3 decent looking players, big no.36 for sure looks a player.

I said similar on the match thread.

Him and Morelos were pulling gaps all over the defence for Arfield, Kent and Davis to run into.

It’s obviously early days, but we are going to spread the goals around much more evenly second half of the season.

Did they no get pumped in the qualifiers last season or am I getting them mixed up with another team?

anyway I thought they passed the ball very well and had 2 or 3 decent looking players, big no.36 for sure looks a player.

The got beaten by BATE Borisov 2-1 in the qualifiers.

BATE are in the last 32 of this seasons competition, playing Arsenal (I think) in the next round.

Then they got completely routed by some Slovenian team in the Europa Qualifiers.

I said similar on the match thread.

Him and Morelos were pulling gaps all over the defence for Arfield, Kent and Davis to run into.

It’s obviously early days, but we are going to spread the goals around much more evenly second half of the season.

So far it’s predominantly been arfield that’s been making those runs and dragging defenders to make space. Defoe adding that too will help us so much.

The got beaten by BATE Borisov 2-1 in the qualifiers.

BATE are in the last 32 of this seasons competition, playing Arsenal (I think) in the next round.

Then they got completely routed by some Slovenian team in the Europa Qualifiers.

Must have been the europa score I remember mate.

I was really impressed with them at Ibrox today.

2 of their players really stood out, the big no.26 and the boy with lonhish hair who sat in front of the back four and took the ball from the them and the goalie, might have been 22 or 26.

Yea. I see what others were saying about this.

Definitely something there about the way he views Borna. Seemed very frustrated when asked about his injury. Bordering on dismissive of the amount of squealing Borna did when he went down. It looks to me like Gerrard thinks Borna as a bit soft.

Definitely something there about the way he views Borna. Seemed very frustrated when asked about his injury. Bordering on dismissive of the amount of squealing Borna did when he went down. It looks to me like Gerrard thinks Borna as a bit soft.
I think on top of that, it seems like he’s frustrated that he can’t get a fit Barisic. It’s got to be annoying that he can’t stay fit.

What was the attendance today?

I was sitting in Govan West Corner so couldn’t make an estimate on the Broomloan Front or Govan Front.

Didn’t see the game, how did we play? Did Defoe settle in? Can’t imagine him doing much.

Watched it in Ibrox Bar Tenerife.

Defoe and Morelos movement was terrific, Davis looks an excellent signing and Kent looked really good again.
Central defence was the worry, our defenders got turned very easily umpteen times.

Hope Goldson fit for Wednesday, and will be really interesting to see what midfield and up front selection and formation the manager goes with.

Missed the game today, anyone offer a summary of the following, please?
  1. How did Morelos & Defoe do together? Was it both up top or one off the other or Morelos on the right of a 3?
  2. What systems did we play? Read there was a change in the 2nd half? What worked best?
  3. How did Davis play?
  4. Any the youngsters catch the eye?
Cheers, in advance.

Played some decent stuff in spells.

Should have scored more goals and the defending was soft.

It was a friendly, we needed the run out. Now on to Wednesday and what is a must win match.

I love the fact he said 'about 55 times'. He could have picked any number, absolutely any number but he picked 55 TIMES. Im sure 55 is now his favourite number! Bring it home son!

Missed the game today, anyone offer a summary of the following, please?
  1. How did Morelos & Defoe do together? Was it both up top or one off the other or Morelos on the right of a 3?
  2. What systems did we play? Read there was a change in the 2nd half? What worked best?
  3. How did Davis play?
  4. Any the youngsters catch the eye?
Cheers, in advance.

1. They played upfront as a pair. Morelos was more involved than Defoe and saw more of the ball dropping deep at times to get on it. Defoe stayed more on the shoulder of the last defender and made some very good runs but we didn't get the ball to him enough imo. Kent chose to shoot at one point when he could have squared it to Defoe who was open in the middle, etc.

2. 4-4-2. Defoe and Morelos upfront. It was almost like a diamond in midfield with Jack sitting, Arfield and Davis either side of him in central midfield whilst Kent was given a free role and played as a CAM rather than on the wings.

3. Good. He looks like he's still got it.

4. Both McCrorie twins, Middleton, Kelly, Palmer and Houston got some game time. Ross McCrorie the pick of the lot. They did okay.

DxWlc_VWkAAZbY5.jpg:large

Why did Alfredo only have one glove on ?

Agreed. Tall, pacey with a good touch. Wonder if the boss took a note ??

1. They played upfront as a pair. Morelos was more involved than Defoe and saw more of the ball dropping deep at times to get on it. Defoe stayed more on the shoulder of the last defender and made some very good runs but we didn't get the ball to him enough imo. Kent chose to shoot at one point when he could have squared it to Defoe who was open in the middle, etc.

2. 4-4-2. Defoe and Morelos upfront. It was almost like a diamond in midfield with Jack sitting, Arfield and Davis either side of him in central midfield whilst Kent was given a free role and played as a CAM rather than on the wings.

3. Good. He looks like he's still got it.

4. Both McCrorie twins, Middleton, Kelly, Palmer and Houston got some game time. Ross McCrorie the pick of the lot. They did okay.

Cheers for that mate, much appreciated!

To summarise;

- Was played like a Training match from our point of view. Gaffer offered good insight into this by saying that the players wsre put through a very heavy session yesterday

- Defoe was constantly on the shoulder. Made a few runs that sadly went unnoticed. Had one decent chance from a tight enough angle on his left side which he dragged wide.

- Davis was Davis. Strolled it, kept the ball moving and switched play a couple of times.

- The 4-3-1-2 formation is not one I am personally a fan of. It totally takes the width out of the team. I would prefer 442 or 352 when wanting to adapt for a front 2. But we have too much in CM to only play 2 of them... tough one for gaffer

-The pitch looked quite poor in places. I'm not sure what the weather has been like over there the last few weeks but wasnt looking like its normal high standard

-Halliday solid yet again and has the shirt at LB for me.

Back