Rangers v Hibs 1979 Scottish Cup Final

Was at all three, I think “turgid” best describes the first two. The fact the third game had goals made it feel like Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt after watching two 0-0 draws.

I did. I seem to remember a battle on Prospecthill road after the first game. Lots of Hibs busses parked there.
Lived in Rutherglen so it was always an easy walk to Hampden.

One of the most depressing ends to a season as it was, but I managed to take in the 3 games.

WATP

Why is there no telly film coverage of the games ? None of the Dryborough Cup Final either from the same year. No doubt a strike or industrial action ?

Was at all three, I think “turgid” best describes the first two. The fact the third game had goals made it feel like Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt after watching two 0-0 draws.
Bingo, same for me. You’d have to be a real supporter to go to the third game after those first two.

This must be one of the few, if not only, post-war Scottish Cup Final's where there is no film footage of the games or eventual goals. Even Chicken Pate News only a decade before covered the Finals for the cinemas. :D

I was at all three but almost didn't go to the third as I had horrendous toothache at the time. Managed to get an emergency appointment at the dentists, got a tooth pulled, off to the Kerry-oot shop (purely medicinal) then straight to Hampden.
Superb OG to win the game but it denied big DJ his cup final hat trick (he'd also had a goal disallowed shortly before the winner).

I was at the 3 of them,first 2 were dreadful and because of that I nearly didn't go to the 3rd but had a pang of conscience that I was letting my club down and went.Third game was not bad tbh and the fact we won made it better.
Always remember at the first game we started singing that song to the tune of Holiday by Boney M which was in the charts then.....f**k the IRA.
Not one of our best songs and I was totally sick of it by the end of the first game.

I was at all 3.
As said above first 2 were terrible, third one was better but maybe only because it had goals.

Yip there also, for some reason all I can remember of it is we were in the main stand up near the Hibs end for the last one.

First two may have been dire but there was more to the third than just the goals - first half admittedly wasn't great but it was a 5 goal final, there was the drama of how the scoring went (1-0 down then 2-1 up before conceding a soft penalty equaliser late on then winning it in ET), a missed penalty and a goal disallowed before a stunning diving header wins the cup.

Think most of us, however, were just glad to get the result at the end of the night.

Another one at all 3. For the last game I actually went in the 'Celtic' end, even kept the Rangers scarf on. It was sparsely populated and I wasn't the only bear in there.

Was at all three. For the 3rd left terracing at 90 minutes and went into the south stand next to Rangers end (you could do that then as they opened the gates near the end of 90 in anticipation of the game finishing ) and had a great view of the winning goal - own goal header by Arthur Duncan from a Rangers corner.

Did anyone attend the entire three games it took to win the Cup that year ? I was at the first, missed the midweek replay, and can vaguely recall the Hibs own goal that won us the trophy. I can't find any video clips of the games apart from minor footage.

I was at the first game and the third and the 3rd game was the most dreich game I ever watched football.

About 8 thousand of us at the Rangers end but the rain was horizontal and we all got soaked. Dire night and dire football.

I went with my mate who was a stringer for The Wishaw Press and he'd parked his Austin 1100 on Prostpecthill Road and it wouldn't start. Cue about a dozen Bears pushing his motor down the road until it finally sparked in to life.

It was the best of times and the worst of times...

Also was at all 3 games. If my memory is correct I think we hit the bar in both of the first 2 games which was as about as exciting as it got.
3rd. game was much better because there were goals and we won.

After the first, I reluctantly attended the other two. For the first replay, we were playing snooker in Victoria Rd and decided to go at the last minute, in a kind of “ach fuuk it” way. For the second replay, it was more a dogged determination to see it through and the cheer that met Arthur Duncan’s diving header was more a relief that the end was sight.

I did. I seem to remember a battle on Prospecthill road after the first game. Lots of Hibs busses parked there.
Lived in Rutherglen so it was always an easy walk to Hampden.
Every single Hibs bus, more than 100 in total, got their windows put in. As a result, all bus companies refused to put on any service for the replays resulting in only about 1,000 Hibs fans at either of these games.

Was at the first two. Can’t remember why I wasn’t at the third, may be due to the previous games being absolutely honking.

i was at all 3 With my mate and his older brother. I can’t remember much about the games except we were relieved We won and it was all over and didn’t need to go to another one.

I was 13, my best mates father had passed away a few days before the first.
We watched it in the house together.
Neither replay was shown live on Tv.
Strange times when the Scottish cup final doesn’t get shown on tv

Did anyone attend the entire three games it took to win the Cup that year ? I was at the first, missed the midweek replay, and can vaguely recall the Hibs own goal that won us the trophy. I can't find any video clips of the games apart from minor footage.

I was there for all of them.cost me a fortune was only a first year apprentice at the time but what great memories .was on the buckhind & methill bus

Yes was at the 3
Me too,and throw in a Wembley trip as well.these were the days when bears were the vast majority of the Scottish support.re the cup final,the games got worse,the crowds got lower,thank fk we won though,coming on the back of losing the league at the piggery.

If I remember correctly it was monsoon conditions at the end of the game in the 2nd replay, got drenched going home. I didn't miss a game anywhere that season, did the 3 European away games on the Nithsdale Loyal

A big Well Done to all you Loyal & Stalwart Bears! I hope for many happy fixtures for you in the near future (in the sunshine) and in many years to come.

Back