Rangers v Hibs 1979 Scottish Cup Final

I am sure the 3rd replay was a Monday night and Scotland played at Wembley a couple of days before, maybe the mind is away

Missed the first game as still recovering from chickenpox but the game was definately live on the tv though there would have been very little highlights as the match was dire.
Went to both replays. First again was shite but the second one was better. Crowds we’re very low if I remember correctly for the replays. Pissed down for the 3rd game.

Missed the first game as still recovering from chickenpox but the game was definately live on the tv though there would have been very little highlights as the match was dire.
Went to both replays. First again was shite but the second one was better. Crowds we’re very low if I remember correctly for the replays. Pissed down for the 3rd game.
30k for the third game.

was nearly at all 3,dogged school with large carry out for second replay and got lifted at mount florida for walking sideways ,shared a detention room with a also underage spoonburner who was actually ok except for that frickin accent

I am sure the 3rd replay was a Monday night and Scotland played at Wembley a couple of days before, maybe the mind is away
The 3rd game was a Monday night, we also played them 3 days later in the league at Easter road.
I travelled to the Thursday game which we lost 2-1 with my late dad.The crowd that night was around 5 thousand.

I was at all three. I am sure the last the last one was a Monday following the Wembley weekend. I remember getting drenched walking back to Shawlands to catch the bus for Kilmarnock.

This must be one of the few, if not only, post-war Scottish Cup Final's where there is no film footage of the games or eventual goals. Even Chicken Pate News only a decade before covered the Finals for the cinemas. :D
Rangers eventually won that's why.
Seems much of the footage of all our Cup wins before the mid 80s have strangely disappeared.

Was at all 3. Seemed never ending and turgid. I was desperate for us to win as I was due to go abroad soon after to work for an indefinite period, so was unlikely to see any other finals for quite some time. Don't even remember the score of the third game but sure glad we eventually won.

The ending to that season was even more of a slog than 2008 and even more heartbreaking.
The second Cup game was even worse than the first one!

The 3rd game was a Monday night, we also played them 3 days later in the league at Easter road.
I travelled to the Thursday game which we lost 2-1 with my late dad.The crowd that night was around 5 thousand.
As I remember, we lost the league at the pigsty on the Monday night, then had a home game v Thistle on the Wednesday followed by Hibs away on the friday.

As I remember, we lost the league at the pigsty on the Monday night, then had a home game v Thistle on the Wednesday followed by Hibs away on the friday.

From memory, we lost that horror game at Parkhead on the Monday, beat Thistle at Ibrox on the Thursday. Then the following Monday was the 3rd cup game v Hibs and we ended the season at Easter Road on the Thursday night.

Edit no the Thistle game was the Wednesday.

1st two cup finals were before the Celtic and Thisle games .
The 3rd game was after followed by the league game on the Thursday night.
The home international's were played in the middle of the cup final replays.

Went to all 3 games, as everyone says, hard going. Did this bring a change regarding extra time then penalties ?
Must have been an expensive time for my Dad.

Me too,and throw in a Wembley trip as well.these were the days when bears were the vast majority of the Scottish support.re the cup final,the games got worse,the crowds got lower,thank fk we won though,coming on the back of losing the league at the piggery.
The night at porkhead worst night ever

1st two cup finals were before the Celtic and Thisle games .
The 3rd game was after followed by the league game on the Thursday night.
The home international's were played in the middle of the cup final replays.

Just googled it, the Hibs league fixture was indeed the week after the filth and Thistle games. Funny how the memory cheats.
I was at all 3 cup finals and alas, at the piggery game.

I was at all 3.
The first 2 were dire and I had to drag myself to the 3rd game because of the way I felt after the debacle at the Piggery.

First game was live on the telly and the 1st replay had "highlights" (it must have been very brief :))) but by the time of the 2nd replay even TV had given up and all that remains is someone's cine camera recording of what was a better third game, though it wouldn't have taken much to improve on the first two. Terrible weather at all three games plus (I think) a bus strike kept the attendances very low - 50,000, 33,000 then 30,000 from memory.

A really drab end to what should have been a truly historic season. Two cups was hardly failure of course but THAT game at the piggery still casts a huge shadow over it. And then there's what might have been in the European Cup if injuries hadn't hit us at the QF stage (Billy Urquhart :eek:). But if we'd known what the next 7 years were to be like we'd maybe have enjoyed it more.

Just googled it, the Hibs league fixture was indeed the week after the filth and Thistle games. Funny how the memory cheats.
I was at all 3 cup finals and alas, at the piggery game.
The official season was due to end after the 1st replay (16th) with the home international's starting on the Saturday.
However, we still had 3 postponed league games to play them (a) Thistle (H) Hibs(a) and the 3rd cup final game.
That season no old firm players were in the home international's , strange how that season got extended but not in 2008.

Did anyone attend the entire three games it took to win the Cup that year ? I was at the first, missed the midweek replay, and can vaguely recall the Hibs own goal that won us the trophy. I can't find any video clips of the games apart from minor footage.

Was at the 3 of them . First 2 were woeful.
The 2nd replay we didn’t get in till half time because our train through broke down. Typical

I was 15 at the time i was at the piggery, i begged stole and borrowed to get to 1 and 2, my mate didnt bother that much he only went to the third one, i was fuming i had no money left.

Did all 3,makes you glad for extra time and pens now.All games where bad look back at crowds,even fell asleep at half time during 2nd game when I sat down due to a wee cargo.Like posters saying 3rd game was night and day to previous games.

Was at the 3 games and as much as I Loved Ham n' Egg as a player he was not the greatest of managers. We went tae The Piggery and blew the league.

We really struggled under his leadership after doing great in Europe that same season.

Rangers eventually won that's why.
Seems much of the footage of all our Cup wins before the mid 80s have strangely disappeared.

It does seem a bit odd that a Scottish Cup Final from 1979 has no remaining televised footage, especially if there were 3 games needed to finish the Final. :oops:

It does seem a bit odd that a Scottish Cup Final from 1979 has no remaining televised footage, especially if there were 3 games needed to finish the Final. :oops:
Tv strike around that time , the old firm game on the Monday night was never filmed by either tv channel.

I probably was at all 3, but I can't remember if I was or not.

One thing I do remember [I think] is the Hibs manager was quoted as saying "Rangers are rubbish" after the first or second game. It was all over the newspapers.

Was at them all, brutal first two and can't remember what happens if we drew the third which thankfully never happened.
I loved the big hampden goals made poor goals look decent

Yup was at all 3.
Quite muted celebrations more akin to relief than anything else after the third game.

I’m sure I’ve seen highlights somewhere.
[/Q4UOTE]
Only basic poor quality coverage , not actual tv highlights. (Similar to the Drybrough cup final)
They covered the game at Parkhead game with their own tv and I think the Rangers winning goal was recorded somewhere.

Tv strike around that time , the old firm game on the Monday night was never filmed by either tv channel.

The first was live on TV mate and they had highlights of the first replay. By the time of the third game they'd given up. It may have been the strike you mention but I can't remember. We can be very thankful the league game at the piggery wasn't televised!

The Glasgow Herald of the 16th May (the replay). Slide along to the last page and the TV listings and the highlights were on BBC-1 at 10:15pm:

I was at all 3. 1979 was my first Hampden final (I was 14) - and I loved every second of the experience - although to be fair, I can’t actually remember the football part.

I remember slugging Pomagne (courtesy of mate’s older brother) on the bus, it seeming to take days to get parked near Hampden, the sun shining, the taste of the horrible black dust that fell from the West stand roof, the “...... fcuk the IRA” song (Boney M tune?) that seemed to feature a lot, forgetting where we’d parked, and somebody getting back on the bus with his head bandaged and lots of dried blood on his face & clothes. Remember next to nothing about the first replay, and then just the relief when the third game meant we’d finally won, and didn’t need to go back again!

The official season was due to end after the 1st replay (16th) with the home international's starting on the Saturday.
However, we still had 3 postponed league games to play them (a) Thistle (H) Hibs(a) and the 3rd cup final game.
That season no old firm players were in the home international's , strange how that season got extended but not in 2008.

I remember looking up on our fixtures at end of season and what was been reported

League end date was 28th April
Scottish Cup Final was 12th May

But with the backlog of games not just us meant the League was extended

Original schedule for us from the outstanding games Scottish Cup Final and Home Internationals

May 2nd Motherwell away
May 5th Celtic home (Hampden)
May 7th Aberdeen home
May 12th Hibs SCF
May 14th Hibs away
May 16th Celtic away
May 18th Partick Home

Drawing with Hibs the SFL to postponed the 3 league game following midweek but then they hadto find dates taken in Home Internationals

May 21st Celtic away
May 23rd Partick Home
May 25th Hibs away

With Celtic game they looked a the previous Saturday taking into account Wales v Scotland and the Scottish Junior Cup Final at Hampden but it didn't happen

With Hibs game Hibs didn't want the Friday as they stated that a party from them were heading to Wembley for the England game the next day, travelling on the Friday

Throwing in the 2nd Scottish Cup Final replay meant a Thursday night game instead, guessing they didn't want to opt for the Wednesday as it was European Cup Final?

I think extra-time was added in the 1st game from 1980 and still level after 120 minutes it went to a replay SCF replays ended after 1987

Last edited:
The goals from 3rd game were shown on tv news that night the hibs goals are on you tube somewhere but cant find rangers goals anywhere cant remember 1st replay highlights ask Stephen Miller!

Last edited:
Back