Match Thread ** Rangers v Kilmarnock - 15:00 Saturday 5th - RangersTV.tv **

It is a short career.
We were offering him less than Hamburg were prepared to offer him.
Further, the chance to play in Germany and make a name for himself over there would have sealed the deal.
Some of the comments about the lad from our supporters have been very negative, I have seen words used like 'donkey'.
Now all of a sudden everyone is scunnered because the 'donkey' has chosen a career path away from their greetin' faces.

I wish we had offered him what he was worth, he is the best centre-back at the club and was probably the one being offered the worst deal.

I believe we did offer a 21 year old, that we plucked from obscurity, what he was worth, and more! Mega rich German club can offer more...shocker. Young guy takes it. Puts money before his best career option. For the lad I hope he doesnt regret it the way almost every other superstar 19-21 year old who had taken the money instead of staying at Rangers (or Celtic) has. The list is massive, and maybe he will be happy in the German Second Division. His choice. Good young prospect but I for one would not pay half a million a year for Bates. No regrets from me.

As the new manager says it's all about winning, I just hope he has us winning playing some football. He has his work cut out for him with this squad. Let the signing begin.

I believe we did offer a 21 year old, that we plucked from obscurity, what he was worth, and more! Mega rich German club can offer more...shocker. Young guy takes it. Puts money before his best career option. For the lad I hope he doesnt regret it the way almost every other superstar 19-21 year old who had taken the money instead of staying at Rangers (or Celtic) has. The list is massive, and maybe he will be happy in the German Second Division. His choice. Good young prospect but I for one would not pay half a million a year for Bates. No regrets from me.

well given what some of our players are on, i'm surprised you get to sleep at night

Did we?
Was he offered as much as Martin, Alves or Cardoso?
If he wasn't then it wasn't enough......in my opinion.

As for the second tier of Germany, I doubt he is exactly dropping down a level.

If he was Dutch our fans would be creaming themselves over him and be heavy raging at the board. Cause hes young and Scottish most dont give a %^*&.

Dont think that is fair. I wish Bates was staying and continuing to learn his trade, but not at half a million a year basic, at 21! His choice, hope it works for him, but there are so many more it hasnt and they have disappeared into obscurity.

We didnt let Bates go, he chose to take more money elsewhere. When Gerrard was announced, i wonder if he felt the extra cash was worth it elsewhere?
We don’t know if the decision was based on money, unless you can tell us differently?

Maybe the young guy wanted to take the opportunity to play and develop in a different environment.
I would say it’s probably a wise move in terms of his football development.

Did we?
Was he offered as much as Martin, Alves or Cardoso?
If he wasn't then it wasn't enough......in my opinion.

As for the second tier of Germany, I doubt he is exactly dropping down a level.

In my opinion yes he was offered enough for a 21 year old, in your opinion no...lets just disagree. I don't think he will be missed if Gerrard is serious in putting a winning team on the park...and in a million years I dont believe Bates thought Hamburg would actually be relegated. Good luck to the lad.

so glad to see a goal go in today.
from minute 2 they wasted time.
tipping the ball away, going past the ball even at their throw/corner.
a meaningless game that they could have taken advantage of our mental state.
we didnt play badly today against a crowded midfield.
any criticism would be our lack of urgency moving forward.
i was up off my seat when alfie ran past broadfoot.
the ref, i. muir, was easily distracted by the constant moaning and yapping from killie players, as if it was all orchestrated.
the goal was a perfect cross and a giruy moment for a normally placid auld buzzard.:confused:

What was his wage in comparison to the upgrade that Morelos got? ..... at the minute I know who looks the better long-term prospect who has the attitude to improve.

That was a hard watch.

McCrorie coming on made a difference, Goss too but it looked like one of those games where we could play all day and not score.

Kilmarnock defensively under Clarke are the hardest team in the league to break down and we didn't look like we had any idea how to do it.

Thankfully we did through Bates and I'm struggling to understand why we didn't offer this lad more to get him to stay. He's the best centre back at the club by a mile.

Collum was dreadful.

Dont think that is fair. I wish Bates was staying and continuing to learn his trade, but not at half a million a year basic, at 21! His choice, hope it works for him, but there are so many more it hasnt and they have disappeared into obscurity.
Id of thought keeping the best defender at only 21 is more sensible than paying the wages we are for Martin and Alves?

4 years time we might of made the wages back and more if we sold him.

We don’t know if the decision was based on money, unless you can tell us differently?

Maybe the young guy wanted to take the opportunity to play and develop in a different environment.
I would say it’s probably a wise move in terms of his football development.

Were you not paying attention at the time it was all going down. Threads were full of those close to Bates clueing us in on what was going on and how much he wanted to stay as a Rangers fan, but we weren't offering enough. You dont need to be a Timmy accountant to fill in the rest. And if you are right...doesnt that validate my question, does he regret it now Gerrard is arriving?

Hurried, panicking dross today. But Nicholl done the pished stained jakey Clarke with his subs. McCrorie brought urgency and Goss quality of delivery. What a parting present from Bates, kept Boyd quiet and scores the winner. Good luck in Hamburg Davie before you go give us 2 more performances like today.

Steve Clarke is over rated. 3 without a win now hasn't taken anything off Lennon or McInnes. Never Rangers Manager material.

Thought the team looked overall better today from the start. However, McCrorie made a massive difference. Nichol made the right call at the right time which is just sadly something Murty wouldn't have done. Just such a shame we let Bates go, think that has been a terrible move but nice to see him get his first senior goal today.

Negatives today

Tavernier, Martin, Holt, Dorrans, Murphy, Morelos

Tav, Candieas and Dorrans once again were awful

Positives

Alnwick, Bates, McCrorie, Goss

These 4 alone are the reason we got 3 points today. Halliday gives you a lot of effort he just isn’t that good.

Docherty alongside Goss and McCrorie and we will beat the sheep.

Bates is our best centre back by a country mile. Keeps it simple, but can actually defend. A real shame he was allowed to leave.

McCrorie is 100% a midfielder, he should never play centre back again.

DccJ2snWsAE7TI-.jpg:large

"Bates, MckchCrorie and Alnwick, They all stay"
Bates is off

Clarke will be raging.
Players waiting for the ball when we are putting in deliveries instead of trying to get in front of their man and attack the ball..
This really annoyed me today. My 16 year old has become a fairly decent netball player. When she played at primary school, though, this was exactly what she did - waited for the ball to come to her rather than 'attacking the space' and it did my nut in.

It's acceptable when you're a 10/11 year old lassie just learning your sport. When you're a well paid professional sportsman it is absolutely bewildering.

A win is a win but that was not a good performance.

Cannot see the option to buy being exercised for either Martin or Cummings. Good call by Allen by going for the play before we pay.

With the exception of Bates./McCrorie i thought we terrible.Glad to see the back of most of these duds.I think SG was being polite saying it,s a clean slate.He knows these players are not good enough and never rangers players in a million years.

Negatives today

Positives

These 4 alone are the reason we got 3 points today. Halliday gives you a lot of effort he just isn’t that good.

yes i'd like to see this, drop dorrans and holt possily move Murphy into the number 10 role as everytime in the 1st half he cut inside but at least tried going down to byline in 2nd

Whisper it... but we improved when we went back to 4-2-3-1.

If that was the players trying to impress the new manager and fighting to get 2nd, I'd hate to see them in a meaningless game.

So the gist of this thread is every one of our players is shite - with the possible exception of Alnwick - although I'm sure that will change if he let's in a goal or kicks a clearance into the stands.

If that's the case why do you all get so upset if we lose..? Surely none of you can be expecting us to win if you have so poor an opinion of the players..?

Can't you all just go shopping with the missus or something..?

If you hate Rangers so much go and fucking do something else please..

Why don't you go to the f#cking games instead of badmouthing the supporters that do. There's a plan...

Not too many positives for me other than the result, Alnwick's form and McCrorie when he came on. Bates had a decent game too and got that vital goal (nice cross from Goss too). Nearly everybody else was either shite or barely interested. We will need to do far better on Tuesday and Sunday if we want 2nd place.

We were poor again but nicked a goal in the end.

May be our last points of the season unless there is a massive improvement which seems unlikely.

Was thinking during the game, apart from McCrorie and Bates, I’m sick of the sight of the rest of them following so many crap heartless performances.

What a difference McCrorie makes in midfield, shame he's suspended for Hibs as he'd be ideal in there for that game

Were you not paying attention at the time it was all going down. Threads were full of those close to Bates clueing us in on what was going on and how much he wanted to stay as a Rangers fan, but we weren't offering enough. You dont need to be a Timmy accountant to fill in the rest. And if you are right...doesnt that validate my question, does he regret it now Gerrard is arriving?
I have been on this board long enough to not take all that is posted as”in the know” as the truth.

He may well have some doubts with regards the happenings of last couple of days but when he made the decision our season had collapsed and our interim manager was losing his grip on things.

I certainly wouldn’t blame any youngster who may not have seen himself as a starter in the coming season take the opportunity to go to one of the top leagues to aid his development.

A deserved win in the end. Well done to the players for working hard and sticking at it.

He’s not taken the money option, he’s away to play for a better team in a better league for more money, the club were unprofessional letting his contract run down but he’s easily the best defender at the club at present and will only get better!

His career progress will be hampered staying here playing in a complete shitter of a league!

I’m sorry to see him go and good luck to him!

Negatives today

Positives

Thought the Union bears were good today as was the turn out

The result was most important today. At half-time it was clear as day that whoever scored first would take all 3 points. Thank god Jimmy Nic brought on McCrorie for the second half. Game changer. What a difference he made to be played in his key role instead of cb. Wouldn't it be right on if Jimmy Nic wins all three games and end up with 100 per cent record!

Got to say i enjoyed the game today. Killie set up not to lose and we were patient and found it difficult to break them down. Mccrorie changed the game and was good to see goss come on. Good three points and hopefully a more open game against the sheep! Have a good weekend folks.

The last 3 games I'll take points over performance any day we all know there's going to be a turnaround in personnel

Got to say i enjoyed the game today. Killie set up not to lose and we were patient and found it difficult to break them down. Mccrorie changed the game and was good to see goss come on. Good three points and hopefully a more open game against the sheep! Have a good weekend folks.

Easily pleased.

1 attempt on target.

It was an absolute shocker of a game and we were dreadful.

We seem to be scared to take risks. Martin at one point brought the ball 30 yards into their half bit of steam behind him then passed it back to Bates we are simply to slow against sides that sit in. I have no worries against the sheep and hivs they will attack us and leave space which we will exploit. Today was our most difficult game of the 3 because we can' break down well organised sides

The most pleasing aspect of today was beating a team who came to Ibrox with the game plan of spoiling the match and getting a 0-0. Loads of niggly little fouls from them, their right back diving about the place like Tom Daley, their constant time wasting at goal kicks and throw ins. All of that just makes it sweeter to score a late goal off Davie Bates' knee to put them to the sword.

And then for Jimmy Nichol to admit at full time that he's absolutely clueless and didn't know McCrorie could play midfield until the squad told him at half time just makes it that little bit extra special. We are in a bloody state, with clueless clowns in the dugout, but we can still beat Killie. :D

Back