Match Thread ** Rangers v Kilmarnock - 15:00 Saturday 5th - RangersTV.tv **

McCrorie is clearly a midfield player. Excited to see how he develops under Gerrard.
If SG wants to play 4-3-3 McCrorie is that defensive midfielder we could never find under Warbuton.

Just got back home from the game and thought I'd pass on my tuppenceworth. My thoughts when I heard the starting eleven are unrepeatable. How Jimmy Nic could play Martin in front of a fit Alves and leave McCrorie out of our starting midfield was beyond me. I could see the sense in starting with Cummings and Morelos, but Cummings hardly got near Morelos to lend any support in the first half. He seemed to float about in our midfield doing very little and bringing McCrorie on for him at the start of the second half was a very obvious move. I am happy to say it worked as well because as soon as McCrorie came on we started to win challenges in the midfield and Mlumbu ceased to dominate in that area.

Our goalie did well. He had two great saves from the Boyd free kick in the first half. Imo he is a better goalie than Wes. He'll do for me. James Tavernier will have more productive days but I thought he tried his heart out and put in a real shift. Halliday got pass marks from me as well today. He was unspectacular but solid at left back. Martin coped okay but after recent weeks I don't have confidence in him. Bates was good and showed me how much we missed him in recent games. He will be a real loss.

Dorans was average and along with Candeias, he seldom got into the game. I thought Holt put in a good shift and I was surprised by his substitution. Murphy and Morelos tried hard without getting any reward. Goss's contribution was short but very significant. What a lovely ball he put in for Bates to score.

It was good to be back on winning ways. I just hope that Nicoll has learned that Ross McCrorie is a 'must start' in midfield for our next two games.

Not to be too hard on Jimmy Nic, but watched his post-match interview on RTV and it was a bit all over the shot.
Speaking like it was JJs decision to bring McCrorie on and then saying we don't want to be going to Hibs and trying to get a result, like we're scared of facing them.
I suppose Nicholl is probably going to lose his job so can't be too harsh, but it was a bit all over the shot.
We got the three points so that's the main thing.
Upwards and onwards.

Anyone that’s watched us this season knows we are consistently outfought & overrun in midfield & McCrorie was a huge miss in there when he was injured. Unfortunately he’s suspended for Hibs, as is Morelos, so we are going to be short of power for that one.

As for Bates, again a huge miss when out injured - he has been miles better than Martin, Cardoso, Alves & McCrorie at CB this season, 3 of whom are on twice his wages!

Losing him for nothing is criminal & if we wouldn’t pay him £10,000 a week I suspect we are going to regret it - everyone knows we need 4 CBs & there won’t be many who will come for less than that - plus transfer fees on top. Madness.

Dont think that is fair. I wish Bates was staying and continuing to learn his trade, but not at half a million a year basic, at 21! His choice, hope it works for him, but there are so many more it hasnt and they have disappeared into obscurity.
Imo age is irrelevant. If he's better than the other players in his position (And he is) then he deserves to be paid accordingly.

Back